PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs lookin at WR Mark Clayton

royr17
01-29-2005, 03:55 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft05/news/story?id=1977378

Giving Interviews and Getting Lessons

By Mark Clayton
Special to ESPN.com

MOBILE, Ala. -- My Senior Bowl week is going great. I'm enjoying this whole process and really having a lot of fun. It's hard to contain how excited I am. God could have put anybody else here but he chose me. Every time I go for an interview with a team, I'm always 15 minutes early!

Speaking of interviews, on Tuesday night I ended up interviewing with Miami Dolphins receivers coach Charlie Baggett and Kansas City Chiefs receivers coach Charlie Joiner. It was my second interview with the Dolphins (my first interview with Miami was on Sunday). They had me draw up a play. So of course I drew up a touchdown play! It was 3 wide, 1 tight -- two WRs on one side and a WR and TE on the opposite side. One wideout ran a double-move and was the QB's first option. Behind him was the slot receiver, who ran a seam straight down the field. The other WR ran a 5-yard stop.

“ I just want to learn as much as I can from him and let him teach me to be as explosive as I can be. His brain is just full of stuff. I'm all ears. Anything he says is sticking to me. ”
— Mark Clayton, on working with WR coach Fred Biletnikoff

I also showed how it would work against different defenses. The double-move by the first WR is a possible TD because the QB is looking and pumping over there, which will get the safety out of the way, and the slot receiver running up the seam basically replaces the safety. If the QB is on top of it, he can turn right to the seam and hit it. The third thing, if the seam is not there, the QB can do is hit the hitch. He thought it was a nice play.

The KC interview was my first with the Chiefs so they just asked about personal stuff -- background, family, etc.

Wednesday morning I got up, ate breakfast and had meetings. We watched Tuesday's practice. They look at whether you got off the ball fast, your depth route -- that on an 18-yard route you're not running 15 yards. They look at every route and whether everyone made the right reads.

Fred Biletnikoff is the receivers coach I've been working with and he has been outstanding. I've learned so much from him. I can only imagine what he would teach me if I played for him. He just makes the game seem so easy. He taught me about my stance at the line of scrimmage. I have a tendency to go pigeon-toed. He told me to straighten up because I have to straighten it when I start running anyway. I was like, "Yeah, OK!" He even went up to the arms. He just told me to relax and bend at the elbows. "That's all you need! Keep it tight!" he would tell me. When you come out of your stance it's like coming off the blocks for the 100-yard dash. You have to be as explosive as you can be.

Sometimes this week I would be at the line, worrying about getting my feet straight, and I would miss the snap! The quarterback would snap the ball and I'd be like, "Whoops!" Then I would take off.

I just want to learn as much as I can from him and let him teach me to be as explosive as I can be. His brain is just full of stuff. I'm all ears. Anything he says is sticking to me.

Wednesday afternoon I had practice. We had a real grasp of the game plan by then so it was a good practice. My timing with the QBs has been good. I'm getting adjusted to how the ball comes out of their hands. Wednesday afternoon I got to play some PlayStation, which was nice, and Wednesday night I had another meeting with Kansas City. It was a lengthy meeting. They mainly just wanted to talk more about personal stuff.

Thursday practice we worked mainly on situational stuff like goal line, red zone, etc. We did an eight-play drive from the 50-yard line to try to replicate a game situation.

There is still room for improvement mentally but I'm ready for the game. I just hope everything from this week carries over into the game so we can come out victorious. The whole group is excited. My roommate is Auburn running back Carnell Williams so the trash talk has already begun.

After this weekend I'm heading to Miami for an All-Star Challenge. It's like an obstacle course thing. It looks pretty fun. Then it's off to Phoenix to keep working out so I can be as fast as possible for the combine.

Editor's note: Oklahoma wide receiver Mark Clayton is keeping a diary for ESPN.com during Senior Bowl week.

htismaqe
01-29-2005, 04:38 PM
Clayton right now isn't worth the #15, but likely won't be there in the mid-2nd...

If we're thinking of taking him, I'd trade down...

HolmeZz
01-29-2005, 04:40 PM
Don't want him.

htismaqe
01-29-2005, 04:41 PM
I see alot of "He sucks, don't want him" from you, but never any "here's why".

HolmeZz
01-29-2005, 04:47 PM
I see alot of "He sucks, don't want him" from you, but never any "here's why".

I never said Clayton sucked, because he doesn't. I don't want him because he's only going to be around when we have our first pick. I'd be willing to take a look at him with our 2nd, but I don't see him falling that far.

As for me saying Charlie Frye sucks, I think he does. He doesn't do anything well, except throw on the run. I think he's vastly overrated by guys like Kiper. I don't see Frye having a good amount of success at the next level. Just my opinion.

htismaqe
01-29-2005, 04:50 PM
I never said Clayton sucked, because he doesn't. I don't want him because he's only going to be around when we have our first pick. I'd be willing to take a look at him with our 2nd, but I don't see him falling that far.

As for me saying Charlie Frye sucks, I think he does. He doesn't do anything well, except throw on the run. I think he's vastly overrated by guys like Kiper. I don't see Frye having a good amount of success at the next level. Just my opinion.

That's pretty much my opinion on Clayton - that's why I said we should trade down if that's who we want.

As for Frye, I've seen him play quite a few times. He's a better QB than Kyle Orton. I don't much listen to Kiper, but I think you're short-changing Frye.

royr17
01-29-2005, 04:56 PM
And why the hell do you want the Chiefs to take Pac-Man Jones, Holmezz ??? Why not Carlos Rogers, I clearly think Carlos Rogers is better then Pac-Man and has better size, you probably only like Pac-Man because of his speed, well thats vastly overrated.

I rather have someone who is 6'1" 196 lbs and runs a 4.4 over someone who is 5'10" 185 lbs and runs a 4.36.

HolmeZz
01-29-2005, 05:00 PM
As I've already said...

I'd rather have Pac Man. Jones is more of a playmaker than Rogers is, and has shown an ability to take charge out on the field, something we need.

Being in Big East Country, I pretty much saw the Mountaineers play every week though. I'm not even exaggerating when I say that Jones had his nose in on basically every play. He's got great hands for a corner and can leap with the best of them. I've also seen him lay the wood on a few plays. 'Playmaker' definitely fits him best. The only reason I would slot Rolle ahead of him is because of size and potential. I think Rolle's ceiling is higher. Pac Man could actually be the better fit for us though, as I think he'd be more effective early on in the league.

If you stricly care about a corner's size, you should be pushing for us to trade down and take Brandon Browner.

royr17
01-29-2005, 05:03 PM
As I've already said...

If you stricly care about a corner's size, you should be pushing for us to trade down and take Brandon Browner.

Browners still raw and would be a gamble, but Rogers play on a very good team and in a very tough division, you cant give me that crap, I dont want McCleon part 2 in Jones, I guess i'd be ok if we took him as long as they called him Adam and not Pac-Man.

But I dont think he could come in and help immediately like Rogers could.

htismaqe
01-29-2005, 05:05 PM
Pac Man is not McCleon, part II.

He's going to be a VERY solid NFL corner. I wouldn't at all be surprised to see him go before we pick.

HolmeZz
01-29-2005, 05:08 PM
He's only comparing him to Dexter because of his size. I'm beginning to doubt whether he even saw Jones play this year.

royr17
01-29-2005, 05:09 PM
Pac Man is not McCleon, part II.

He's going to be a VERY solid NFL corner. I wouldn't at all be surprised to see him go before we pick.

Very solid corner ? We need someone who's gonna be a good corner, not solid, and I think Rogers, Jackson, Webster, Miller, or Jones would be a good pick for us but I rather have Rogers first before any of them.

htismaqe
01-29-2005, 05:10 PM
He's only comparing him to Dexter because of his size. I'm beginning to doubt whether he even saw Jones play this year.

Unfortunately, I think Gunther thinks like Roy. Gunther's first criteria in a corner is how big he is. That's how we ended up with Bartee...

royr17
01-29-2005, 05:11 PM

I dont watch college football so NO I havent, I find college boring and NFL exciting.

DaKCMan AP
01-29-2005, 05:12 PM
I dont watch college football so NO I havent, I find college boring and NFL exciting.

So you don't watch college football but feel qualified enough to say one player is better than another? Brilliant.

htismaqe
01-29-2005, 05:12 PM
Very solid corner ? We need someone who's gonna be a good corner, not solid, and I think Rogers, Jackson, Webster, Miller, or Jones would be a good pick for us but I rather have Rogers first before any of them.

Dude, you're in way over your head. Go watch some games...

All of those guys are very solid corners. There aren't any Terrance Newman's in this draft. None of these guys are "top 5" picks. In fact, Rogers is probably the MOST SOLID corner in this draft. He does everything well, but doesn't do any one thing "special".

Jones is a playmaker -- he's a guy that can change the momentum of a game all by himself.

CHIEF4EVER
01-29-2005, 05:14 PM
So you don't watch college football but feel qualified enough to say one player is better than another? Brilliant.

Don't watch college football and judge college talent? BRILLIANT!!!!!

{Insert Guiness photo here}

HolmeZz
01-29-2005, 05:16 PM

Then why are you wasting time arguing over players you've never seen?

htismaqe
01-29-2005, 05:17 PM
Then why are you wasting time arguing over players you've never seen?

Well, we now have a full explanation of the Rich Scanlon ordeal...

royr17
01-29-2005, 05:22 PM
Dude, you're in way over your head. Go watch some games...

All of those guys are very solid corners. There aren't any Terrance Newman's in this draft. None of these guys are "top 5" picks. In fact, Rogers is probably the MOST SOLID corner in this draft. He does everything well, but doesn't do any one thing "special".

Jones is a playmaker -- he's a guy that can change the momentum of a game all by himself.

Well I really think college sucks, football that is, i cant get interested in it and find NFL more appealing. I mean Jones could very well be a playmaker I dont know, but i know theres others guys I want, he's just gonna need to put some weight on so that he can become the corner Gun wants, I dont thinks he's physical enough for that yet.

go bo
01-29-2005, 05:22 PM
Well, we now have a full explanation of the Rich Scanlon ordeal...did someone say "scanlon"? :eek:

royr17
01-29-2005, 05:23 PM
Why do yall guys have to bring up Scanlon all the time, I try to do a good thing and not bring it up and yall do.

Jeez.

htismaqe
01-29-2005, 05:25 PM
Why do yall guys have to bring up Scanlon all the time, I try to do a good thing and not bring it up and yall do.

Jeez.

I brought it up because you spent nearly a month telling us how great the guys was going to be, only to admit now that YOU DON'T WATCH COLLEGE FOOTBALL.

If I were you, I would avoid threads on the draft from now on. You have zero credibility.

htismaqe
01-29-2005, 05:26 PM
Fincher looks good.

And Matt Roth right now is my 1st-round pick. I'd take a chance on a guy like Miller dropping to the 2nd if I could get Roth.

htismaqe
01-29-2005, 05:31 PM
A couple of other guys I'm impressed with:

Swancutt, DE Oregon St
Gibson, WR Georgia
Roby, WR Indiana

HolmeZz
01-29-2005, 05:32 PM
Both Roth and Swancutt have been very impressive. They should both move up a bit.

Also like what I saw from Kirk Morrison. He's worth a 2nd round pick.

Dartgod
01-29-2005, 05:34 PM
Don't watch college football and judge college talent? BRILLIANT!!!!!

{Insert Guiness photo here}
Why watch the games when you can do your scouting on the KC Star BB?

go bo
01-29-2005, 05:34 PM
Fincher looks good.

And Matt Roth right now is my 1st-round pick. I'd take a chance on a guy like Miller dropping to the 2nd if I could get Roth.miller the cb?

we need corner backs, but all this talk about how the new rule (interpretation) will render cb's practically impotent scares me... (ok, that one's teed up)

seems like the pats have done real well with an effective front 7...

i'm leaning towards linebacker with one of the higher picks, if the guy they draft isn't too much of a reach...

go bo
01-29-2005, 05:36 PM
Why watch the games when you can do your scouting on the KC Star BB?yeah, those guys have the inside skinny on everything that has to do with the chiefs, as well as the draft value of every college player...

who needs gretz?

htismaqe
01-29-2005, 05:38 PM
miller the cb?

we need corner backs, but all this talk about how the new rule (interpretation) will render cb's practically impotent scares me... (ok, that one's teed up)

seems like the pats have done real well with an effective front 7...

i'm leaning towards linebacker with one of the higher picks, if the guy they draft isn't too much of a reach...

Yes, Miller the CB. I have the same concerns you do, and if Jackson or Webster were to rise just a bit, I think Miller could fall all the way to our 2nd-round pick.

We still need a CB, and we could get a damn good one in Miller if he fell that far.

HolmeZz
01-29-2005, 05:52 PM
Matt Jones'll be a Tight End at the next level.

go bo
01-29-2005, 05:59 PM
Yes, Miller the CB. I have the same concerns you do, and if Jackson or Webster were to rise just a bit, I think Miller could fall all the way to our 2nd-round pick.

We still need a CB, and we could get a damn good one in Miller if he fell that far.that would be great if we are that lucky...

if miller weren't there at our second pick, who would you take then?

htismaqe
01-29-2005, 06:08 PM
that would be great if we are that lucky...

if miller weren't there at our second pick, who would you take then?

Not sure...Michael Boley (OLB) is a possibility. Burnett might fall that far too.

I think we should look to address the WR in the 4th or 5th round. Courtney Roby looks like the kind of guy we need - 6 foot, 190 lbs., 4.40 forty...and he was the leading all-time WR in Indiana history.

HolmeZz
01-29-2005, 06:10 PM
Trent Green to Courtney Roby; the Indiana Connection. :)

Mr. Laz
01-29-2005, 06:58 PM
i'd take clayton at 15th in a heartbeat IF we didn't have such desperate needs on defense.

we pretty much have to go pick CB,DE,LB in rounds 1,2 and 3.

what order we pick them in depends on who falls

i saw that constantine kid laying some wood at the senior bowl too.

Kirk Morrison seemed to have a real nose for the ball

BigChiefFan
01-29-2005, 07:07 PM
Fincher looks good.

And Matt Roth right now is my 1st-round pick. I'd take a chance on a guy like Miller dropping to the 2nd if I could get Roth.
Your Iowa bias is showing if you think Roth is worth the 15th overall pick in the draft.

htismaqe
01-29-2005, 07:11 PM
Your Iowa bias is showing if you think Roth is worth the 15th overall pick in the draft.

I've considered him to be around 20 all along, until today.

I wasn't the only person who thought he looked like a mid-first guy. So did all of the ESPN people, including Kiper.

GBN has him going 21st, and that was before today.

So there's quite a few non-Iowa people that thought he was a late 1st-rounder before and only improved his stock this week.

BigChiefFan
01-29-2005, 07:14 PM
I've considered him to be around 20 all along, until today.

I wasn't the only person who thought he looked like a mid-first guy. So did all of the ESPN people, including Kiper.

GBN has him going 21st, and that was before today.

So there's quite a few non-Iowa people that thought he was a late 1st-rounder before and only improved his stock this week.
I'm razzin you.

htismaqe
01-29-2005, 07:16 PM
I'm razzin you.

OK. I must have missed the smilies. :thumb:

Seriously, Matt Roth is a difference maker at his position. We need 2 or 3 guys like him this offseason - 1 on the line, 1 at LB, and 1 at CB.

Skip Towne
01-29-2005, 07:19 PM
Fincher looks good.

You want a QB with our 1st round pick? Are you insane? Or just from Ioweenie?

Skip Towne
01-29-2005, 07:33 PM
I've seen Clayton a few times this year and he seems only adequate to me. We already have adequate. I've been watching OU for 45 years and I can't come up with even one outstanding WR from there. I'm tired of the reaches. I think we should draft players from schools that traditionally put out good NFL players until we get a decent scouting corps. Obviously we can't trust our stupid scouting dept. to find a diamond in the rough.

htismaqe
01-29-2005, 08:09 PM
You want a QB with our 1st round pick? Are you insane? Or just from Ioweenie?

Matt Roth is a defensive end.

Frosty
01-29-2005, 08:24 PM
Swancutt was awesome today. He was putting so much pressure on the QB that the South started doubling him in the second half. Defensive MVP for the North.

I also loved it that, after he had his first sack, he did the O-S-U hand motions instead of pounding on his chest or something like that - givin' some props to the old alma mater. :thumb:

Unfortunately, his size will probably hold down his draft status (I think he is only in the 260 range). Playing at Oregon State will probably hurt him some since he isn't as well known. This game should open some eyes there.

I was also really impressed with that LB out of San Diego State (I missed his name). He seems pretty fast, with good instints. Had a bunch of tackles, with a couple for losses. (Why was a San Diego State player on the North squad?)

htismaqe
01-29-2005, 08:26 PM
Swancutt was awesome today. He was putting so much pressure on the QB that the South started doubling him in the second half. Defensive MVP for the North.

I also loved it that, after he had his first sack, he did the O-S-U hand motions instead of pounding on his chest or something like that - givin' some props to the old alma mater. :thumb:

Unfortunately, his size will probably hold down his draft status (I think he is only in the 260 range). Playing at Oregon State will probably hurt him some since he isn't as well known. This game should open some eyes there.

I was also really impressed with that LB out of San Diego State (I missed his name). He seems pretty fast, with good instints. Had a bunch of tackles, with a couple for losses. (Why was a San Diego State player on the North squad?)

Swancutt comes in about 255-260. I haven't seen him play before today, but they all said not to put too much stock in his performance because he's not very good against the run - they seemed to think he'd end up an OLB in a 3-4 somewhere...

The LB you're talking about is Kirk Morrison, and I agree, he looked really good.

Frosty
01-29-2005, 08:35 PM
Swancutt comes in about 255-260. I haven't seen him play before today, but they all said not to put too much stock in his performance because he's not very good against the run - they seemed to think he'd end up an OLB in a 3-4 somewhere...

The LB you're talking about is Kirk Morrison, and I agree, he looked really good.

Eh. OSU has consistantly had one of the best run defenses in Div 1, with Swancutt being an every down player. With his size now, in the NFL, you would probably run right at him, with a big old guard pushing him out of the way. If he could put on 20 pounds or so, I think he could very much be a Patrick Kearney type player.

If not, I could see the 3-4 LB, like Suggs did.

teedubya
01-29-2005, 08:47 PM
id rather us sign Mark Duper.

ROYC75
01-30-2005, 11:12 AM
IMHO, the Chiefs are just like any other NFL team, evaluating the draft talent as much as possible, this includes :eek: offensive players when we need defensive help.

Alot of the draft will fall into place over the next 5 weeks after March 2nd, the FA date.

Depending on what we do with FA on the defense will determine what we go after in the draft.

HC_Chief
01-30-2005, 11:16 AM
Clayton would be awesome in this system. Mark my words, if we draft him, he'll be the best receiver KC has had since Otis Taylor.

jspchief
01-30-2005, 11:28 AM
Given the choice between Swancutt and Roth, I definately prefer Roth. Admittedly, the Senior bowl is the first time I noticed Swancutt. But my reasoning is based on something other than that performance. I think the Big 10 is a much more physical conference than the PAC 10, and I believe it will translate to Roth being the more physical player in the NFL.

The thought of Roth and Allen makes me drool a little.

If we take Clayton, or any other WR in the first round, I'm going to go suicidal (unless we just go bonkers defensively in the FA market)

BigMeatballDave
01-30-2005, 12:43 PM
I don't want him because he's not defense...

ck_IN
01-30-2005, 01:44 PM
I said before the season was over that it wouldn't surprise me a bit if we drafted a WR in the first. Morton had too many drops and made the golden boy look bad in the process.

This team sorely needs defense but I wouldn't be surprised in the least if we get more offense.

|Zach|
01-30-2005, 02:22 PM
Heh, I almost missed this thread...its worth a few chuckles.

Mr. Laz
01-30-2005, 03:02 PM
I said before the season was over that it wouldn't surprise me a bit if we drafted a WR in the first. Morton had too many drops and made the golden boy look bad in the process.

This team sorely needs defense but I wouldn't be surprised in the least if we get more offense.

it wouldn't surprise me either :cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

Hoover
01-30-2005, 05:05 PM
I hope its a smoke screen, we need defensive player, I say don't draft an offensive play unless its and unbelievable value. (Still wouldl have to be after the 3rd round)

el borracho
01-30-2005, 05:11 PM
I wouldn't cry if one of our top 3 picks was a WR, especially if we do well in free-agency and/ or trade down in the draft for extra picks.

CanadaKC
01-30-2005, 05:12 PM
I was listening to Profootball Weekly's radio program this morning and they have Clayton rated extremely high. Top six I believe.

ARROW2
01-30-2005, 06:21 PM
Lazarus......I would tear dat shyyyt up!! I would have her playing pogo on my ........

Chris Meck
01-31-2005, 12:46 PM
The only way this would be acceptable is if we are very busy in FA.

If we're going to start re-stocking offensive firepower, we'd better be signing some serious veteran defensive help.

And if we DO draft Clayton, we'd better keep LJ.

Chris

htismaqe
01-31-2005, 01:06 PM
The only way this would be acceptable is if we are very busy in FA.

If we're going to start re-stocking offensive firepower, we'd better be signing some serious veteran defensive help.

And if we DO draft Clayton, we'd better keep LJ.

Chris

We're keeping LJ.

chiefz
01-31-2005, 01:43 PM
If we take a receiver in the first round I am going to puke.

Saulbadguy
01-31-2005, 01:50 PM
I'm gonna wait until FA starts. Then after we don't pick up anyone in FA, i'll start making projections.