PDA

View Full Version : Covitz: Is DT Hall of Fame Bound?

tk13
01-30-2005, 02:05 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascitystar/sports/10768763.htm

Will Thomas be honor bound?
Selectors are mixed on linebacker's chances this time

By RANDY COVITZ
The Kansas City Star

There doesn't seem to be much doubt that former Chiefs linebacker Derrick Thomas will be elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame someday.

But whether he's elected this week in his first year on the ballot is uncertain. Thomas, whose 11-year career was cut short when he died in February 2000 of injuries related to an automobile accident, is one of 15 finalists who will be considered for election into the Pro Football Hall of Fame on Saturday in Jacksonville, Fla., site of the Super Bowl.

At least three, but no more than six, candidates will be elected. A survey of the 39-member Hall of Fame Board of Selectors indicated Thomas, who ranks 10th on the NFL's all-time sack list, rates about a 50-50 chance of being elected.

“He's on the bubble,” said Ron Borges of The Boston Globe. “He had a lot of sacks. I'm not sure about the rest of his game. I think there is some question whether he is a first-ballot type of Hall of Fame player.”

Of the 15 finalists, quarterbacks Dan Marino and Steve Young are considered locks; and wide receiver Michael Irvin probably will get in. At least one, if not both, senior candidates, former halfback and coach Fritz Pollard and quarterback Bennie Friedman, are expected to be elected.

That could leave just one spot, and Thomas will be up against several other viable candidates, including another first-time nominee, former St. Louis Cardinals and University of Missouri cornerback Roger Wehrli. Others are former Washington wide receiver Art Monk, who had more receptions than anyone in NFL history at the time of his retirement; defensive ends L.C. Greenwood, Richard Dent and Claude Humphrey; linebacker Harry Carson and offensive linemen Russ Grimm and Bob Kuechenberg.

Bob Gretz of the Chiefs' flagship radio station, KCFX-FM, represents Kansas City on the Board of Selectors and will make the case for Thomas.

“He was an impact player defensively and could change the complexion of the game with one play,” Gretz said. “That's not something most defensive players can claim.

“He was also a premier pass rusher throughout his career in the '90s. In his second year, he had a seven-sack game, and in his 10th year, he had a six-sack game. He was also the foundation for rebuilding an entire organization, which you can't take lightly. He was the cornerstone for the success of this franchise, and he was the type of player who made all the other players around him better, which is the true test of a great player.”

If Thomas doesn't make it this year, he may have to wait until 2007. Next year's class appears to be more formidable with quarterbacks Troy Aikman and Warren Moon, defensive end Reggie White and running back Thurman Thomas eligible for the first time.

“I think he's got a great chance — a virtual lock,” Bernie Miklasz of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch said of Thomas.

But Leonard Shapiro of The Washington Post was more tempered: “Maybe. He will be a Hall of Famer, but not on the first ballot.”

Rick Gosselin of The Dallas Morning News disagreed, saying this class gives Thomas a good opportunity.

“There are two slam dunks, Marino and Young,” Gosselin said. “Dent has been up before and passed over. Derrick hasn't been up yet. I think this class gives him a good shot.

“There was one element of his game that he did as well as anybody. The game is about the pass rush. He's probably one of the five greatest pass rushers. Does that make him a Hall of Famer? That's what you've got to decide.”

The one performance that stands out in the minds of the voters was Thomas' NFL-record, seven-sack performance against Seattle in 1990. They also remember the Chiefs lost that game when Seahawks quarterback Dave Krieg wriggled free of Thomas' grasp on what would have been the eighth sack and tossed a game-winning touchdown pass on the final play of the game.

“That was one of the greatest individual defensive days that I've witnessed,” said John Clayton of ESPN.com. “There is no question Derrick Thomas was worthy (of the Hall of Fame). He was a playmaker, one of the league's top players during his years with the Chiefs. He was a factor that drew the attention of every offensive coordinator and every blocking scheme. To be a Hall of Famer, you have to be one of the top players at a position. He was clearly one of the top stars of his era.”

Two games may work against Thomas. During the 1993 AFC championship game at Buffalo, the Chiefs pulled Thomas from the lineup when he was having trouble stopping the run. And some remember the Monday-night meltdown against Denver when Thomas was ejected from the game after he got engaged in a facemask-grabbing battle with Denver's Shannon Sharpe and was suspended for a game by the Chiefs.

“It degenerated into an unruly game,” said Jerry Magee of The San Diego Union-Tribune. “He had a major role in that. That sticks in my mind, not favorably. I saw him take a lot of plays off. I don't think he's any slam-dunk by any means. I don't think he was all that consistent. I know he had great ability. I like those guys who play every down. He is a viable candidate, but I haven't decided. I do have reservations about him, because I don't think he played at a very high level all the time.”

Peter King of Sports Illustrated believes he'll vote for Thomas.

“I am leaning toward voting for him,” King said. “It's not final, but it's likely. I think Thomas and Bruce Smith were the best pure pass rushers of the 1990s. Thomas wasn't invincible on the field. I once saw Jacksonville's Tony Boselli shut him out, but he was so impactful in how teams had to prepare and account for him.

“I've always thought of him as the poor man's Lawrence Taylor, which isn't meant as an insult. It's an honor. He's the closest thing to Taylor that I've seen.”

Despite Thomas' gaudy sack numbers, the Chiefs did not reach a Super Bowl during his career. Monk, Irvin, Dent, Greenwood, Carson, Grimm and Kuechenberg all have Super Bowl rings, but most of the voters don't think that will be a factor.

“Gale Sayers never played in a playoff game,” said Michael Wilbon of The Washington Post. “That's not going to keep Derrick Thomas off my ballot. He was on winning teams, often the best defensive player on some great defenses that got to the playoffs. They won 13 games at least twice.

“I don't know if this is going to be the year. I doubt it.”

Mark Gaughan of The Buffalo News best expressed the sentiments of most of the voters.

“I did vote for him to get to the final 15,” Gaughan said. “Will I vote for him to get to the final six? I can't say. We're told to keep an open mind until we hear all the arguments at the final meeting.

“There's no shame in not making it your first year of eligibility. Only about 20 percent do.”

The Star's Adam Teicher, Jeffrey Flanagan and Wright Thompson contributed to this report.

FloridaChief
01-30-2005, 02:22 AM
I don't think DT makes it this year.

teedubya
01-30-2005, 06:19 AM
i think DT gets in in 2006...

Art Monk needs in... it is ridiculous that he isnt in yet.

SCTrojan
01-30-2005, 08:01 AM
I think if he gets in this year, it will be just barely. He'll get in eventually, though. By 2010, I say.

WebGem
01-30-2005, 10:36 AM
He's getting in this year.

go bo
01-30-2005, 01:35 PM
I think if he gets in this year, it will be just barely. He'll get in eventually, though. By 2010, I say.well, the article suggests the 2007 may be a better possibility, but it will all depend on who else is up for induction each year...

i want derrick to get in, but he did have some weaknesses in his game, so i won't be too surprised if he doesn't make it this time...

go bo
01-30-2005, 01:36 PM
He's getting in this year.i hope you're right!! :thumb:

dtebbe
01-30-2005, 03:04 PM
My blood boils everytime I read some Fugtard talking about how he was "ONLY A PASS RUSHER". How quickly greatness is forgotten. I guess they don't look at turnovers forced, IHMO that is what makes DT more than "just a pass rusher". There have been a bunch of guys who could get to the QB and make sacks, but I've never seen one who can get there, get the sack, strip the ball, and more often than not recover the fumble like DT could. To say he was "only a pass rusher" is an insult.

If he does not get into the HOF this year, I think we should make bright red T-shirts with big white letters on the front and back:

FU
HOF

Wear them to every game until he gets in.

DT

|Zach|
01-30-2005, 03:07 PM
I hope he gets in but I would understand if he does not.