http://www.petitiononline.com/ENDBCS/

go bo
01-30-2005, 01:00 PM
no, we like dupes, you dope... :D :D :D

Mr. Laz
01-30-2005, 01:02 PM
imo we dont end it... just modify it

start by going to a +1 system next year

all bowls stay the same except for one of the BCS bowls turn into a championship game

#1 plays #4
#2 plays #3

winner plays in final game of year in BCS championship game

this doubles the margin of error for the BCS without taking away all the bowl games for all the mid-range schools.

if that works out well and they want to expand it in a couple of years, maybe we expand it by another round in a few years.

#1 plays #6
#2 plays #5
#3 plays #4

so on and so forth

slow adjustment so it doesn't shock the system and we can stop whenever we get to the saturation situation we desire.

i wouldn't imagine you'd ever need to go past 8 teams

teedubya
01-30-2005, 01:45 PM
i consider myself a diehard football fan, but the bowl games excite me ZERO. In fact, I watched 1 half of ONE bowl game this year. The fact that Auburn went undefeated and yet USC won the championship without Auburn being able to do anything about it, is bollocks.

I despise the current system, and I do absolutely nothing to support this system... give us the top four fighting it out for the championship, like Lazarus suggests... it would inspire a legion of viewers that may not watch otherwise.

Demonpenz
01-30-2005, 01:56 PM
i love the current system, which is good because it will be around for another 5 years.

Mr. Laz
01-30-2005, 02:46 PM
i love the current system, which is good because it will be around for another 5 years.

pretty much a bandwagonn-er all the way then ... aint'cha :p

http://www.geocities.com/demonpenz/PHI_MIN_0195_DH.jpg

Demonpenz
01-30-2005, 03:37 PM
naw, i have always been an eagle fan. I just root for the chiefs so people around here won't be pissed off so much on monday's.

Saulbadguy
01-30-2005, 09:18 PM
I like what they are mulling over doing now, using the BCS and having a "selection commitee", like college basketball does with the RPI. If they feel they need another game to get a real champion, they will do it. No set playoff system, but nonetheless a way to find the champion. It will still emphasize the regular season HEAVILY though, which I like. No streaky teams from ankle-biter conferences ruining everything.

htismaqe
01-31-2005, 05:50 AM
Call me old-fashioned, but if they aren't going to have a tourney, I wish they'd just go back to the way it was...

mikey23545
01-31-2005, 06:22 AM
Call me old-fashioned, but if they aren't going to have a tourney, I wish they'd just go back to the way it was...

Yep...

All they've done is gone from having no way to determine a champion to pretending they're finding a champion. Either settle it on the field or just give up on it entirely.

Saulbadguy
01-31-2005, 07:23 AM
I disagree. We've had one split national title, right? A couple times we've questioned it (the bcs), and the other years its been clear. I'd rather have it that way than giving it to whoever the media thinks the champion is (cough cough Nebraska...)

morphius
01-31-2005, 08:14 AM
imo we dont end it... just modify it

start by going to a +1 system next year

all bowls stay the same except for one of the BCS bowls turn into a championship game

#1 plays #4
#2 plays #3

winner plays in final game of year in BCS championship game

this doubles the margin of error for the BCS without taking away all the bowl games for all the mid-range schools.

if that works out well and they want to expand it in a couple of years, maybe we expand it by another round in a few years.

#1 plays #6
#2 plays #5
#3 plays #4

so on and so forth

slow adjustment so it doesn't shock the system and we can stop whenever we get to the saturation situation we desire.

i wouldn't imagine you'd ever need to go past 8 teams
Yeah, because there are not going to be a dozen one loss or two loss teams with the equal right to that number 4th spot. And the more spots based on some obscure writers/coaches poll's who don't even get to see all the games is just automatically weak.

morphius
01-31-2005, 08:15 AM
I disagree. We've had one split national title, right? A couple times we've questioned it (the bcs), and the other years its been clear. I'd rather have it that way than giving it to whoever the media thinks the champion is (cough cough Nebraska...)
I believe there have been more then a couple splits.

Saulbadguy
01-31-2005, 08:17 AM
Name em.

morphius
01-31-2005, 08:41 AM
Okay, the other one I was thinking of was the year before the BCS started. But it is true that the media was the reason for the last split. Since only one of the two polls actually automatically vote with the BCS champion. I mean if USC did save their butts by blowing out OU this year, then they would have split again.

Dr. Van Halen
01-31-2005, 09:15 AM
It will still emphasize the regular season HEAVILY though, which I like. No streaky teams from ankle-biter conferences ruining everything.

So ... are you saying that you don't like the playoff system that almost every other organized sport in the world utilizes to determine a champion? That's weird.

Compare it to college basketball. How often do the ankle-biters actually win. And isn't it amazingly exciting when they do?

Saulbadguy
01-31-2005, 09:16 AM
Okay, the other one I was thinking of was the year before the BCS started. But it is true that the media was the reason for the last split. Since only one of the two polls actually automatically vote with the BCS champion. I mean if USC did save their butts by blowing out OU this year, then they would have split again.
Yeah. There were quite a few splits before the BCS was invented. I like the BCS better than the last system, but it seems with more inclusion of poll info it is BECOMING the old system, again. I think they need to form a comitee like they have been talking about, to make a decision whether or not they need an extra game to determine a real national champ.

Playoffs are IDEAL, but they are not a reality. There is too much money involved for a playoff system to be implemented.

Saulbadguy
01-31-2005, 09:18 AM
So ... are you saying that you don't like the playoff system that almost every other organized sport in the world utilizes to determine a champion? That's weird.

Compare it to college basketball. How often do the ankle-biters actually win. And isn't it amazingly exciting when they do?
The only thing I don't like about the College Basketball playoff system is the rules for inclusion. I don't really mind the ankle biters too much, but they rarely win it all. Also, I dare say that fundementally a 64 team playoff is too large. You aren't really getting the "best" team, you are getting the "hottest" team, for the most part. There is no real way to fix this...but oh well. I still enjoy it.

PatriotofMaine
01-31-2005, 09:28 AM
Lazarus,

Hear! hear!...excellent idea. Absolutely needs to be done ASAP, IMHO...