PDA

View Full Version : How do you keep the FIZZ in a 2 litre Cola bottle ?????

warpaint99
01-30-2005, 02:27 PM
I once saw a guy use a cola gadget to pump air into it. I guess it was pressurizing the air so the CO2 wouldn't escape. Anyone know if those work ? Where do you buy them ?

I was also thinking you could mix carbonated water but that would dillute it. Maybe one of those funny looking Co2 capsules used for air rifles but how would you use that ?

Dry Ice ? Nah.

Any tinkerers or chemists out there have any ideas ?

Baby Lee
01-30-2005, 02:29 PM
Chug it!!!

Baby Lee
01-30-2005, 02:29 PM
I take it in the can
:eek:

unlurking
01-30-2005, 02:30 PM
If you tighten it enuff, you don't lose carb. The only problem is getting a grip to get the cap off. I have a few tools in a kitchen drawer and just use a small crescent wrench.

Phobia
01-30-2005, 02:36 PM
Why buy a device to take up valuable real estate in your kitchen? For $19.95, I'll teach you how to preserve the fizz in your 2 liters with nothing to buy, no products to store, and best of all, NO shipping and handling.

Mr. Laz
01-30-2005, 02:43 PM
Why buy a device to take up valuable real estate in your kitchen? For $19.95, I'll teach you how to preserve the fizz in your 2 liters with nothing to buy, no products to store, and best of all, NO shipping and handling.

Whatever you say, JOhn.

stumppy
01-30-2005, 02:57 PM
The pump/caps work fine. You can pump up a half full bottle and leave it for days and it still has plenty of carbonization.

warpaint99
01-30-2005, 03:20 PM
http://www.boardandbasket.com/browse.cfm/4,2408.html

http://jchemed.chem.wisc.edu/Journal/Issues/1999/Feb/abs208.html
They only work for couple extra hours from this research report. Hahaha.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&q=fizz+keeper&btnG=Search

http://www.boardandbasket.com/prodimg/1049.JPG

BigMeatballDave
01-30-2005, 03:32 PM
I can't see how this would be a problem. A 2-liter never lasts more than a day in my household...

Phobia
01-30-2005, 03:34 PM
Okay - here's the free trick.

Simply squeeze the plastic bottle until the liquid is near the top and close the cap as tightly as you can. Works great for me.

el borracho
01-30-2005, 03:34 PM
Cheapest way is to squeeze the air out of the bottle and cap it. This keeps the carbon dioxide from dissipating into the air trapped in the bottle.

Phobia
01-30-2005, 03:39 PM
Now why didn't I think of that?

BigMeatballDave
01-30-2005, 03:41 PM
Cheapest way is to squeeze the air out of the bottle and cap it. This keeps the carbon dioxide from dissipating into the air trapped in the bottle.

Okay - here's the free trick.

Simply squeeze the plastic bottle until the liquid is near the top and close the cap as tightly as you can. Works great for me.Whoa! Posted at the same time...

BroWhippendiddle
01-30-2005, 03:43 PM

At what point to you figure you've squeezed the bottle enough?

Spend the money for one of the pumps

or

Drink the whole bottle at one sitting

or

Buy smaller bottles

or

If your Coke is flat, mix in some with carbonation left in it.

or

Drink water - no fizz, never had it, never will.

unlurking
01-30-2005, 03:46 PM
I'm telling ya, just twist the cap all the way until it locks. Fizz will last weeks.

BigMeatballDave
01-30-2005, 03:55 PM
Move to a planet that has a 100% CO2 atmosphere...

ROYC75
01-30-2005, 04:02 PM
Easy, don't open it , works for me .

warpaint99
01-30-2005, 04:35 PM
Squeezing all the air out can't possibly be right. The Co2 wants to leave the liquid. This is what the pump does. Pressurizes the air so the Co2 has no place to go but stay trapped.

yunghungwell
01-31-2005, 08:56 AM
I'm telling ya, just twist the cap all the way until it locks. Fizz will last weeks.

Only if you don't open the bottle in that time period. The problem is not CO2 leaking out of the cap. It is the dissolution of the dissolved CO2 in the soda into the headspace of the bottle. Each time the bottle is opened the equlibrium is upset and more of the dissolved CO2 will escape into the air at the top of the bottle. Basically the more times you open the bottle the more fizz you lose.

ROYC75
01-31-2005, 08:59 AM
I'm tell'n ya, don't open it.

jspchief
01-31-2005, 09:01 AM
We're talking about a .99 bottle of pop...throw it out when it loses it's fizz.

unlurking
01-31-2005, 09:02 AM
Only if you don't open the bottle in that time period. The problem is not CO2 leaking out of the cap. It is the dissolution of the dissolved CO2 in the soda into the headspace of the bottle. Each time the bottle is opened the equlibrium is upset and more of the dissolved CO2 will escape into the air at the top of the bottle. Basically the more times you open the bottle the more fizz you lose.
Well, true, but who opens a 2 litre moe than 2 or 3 times before emptying it? :)

Bob Dole
01-31-2005, 09:03 AM
Squeezing all the air out can't possibly be right.

Nope. It works just fine at Bob Dole's house.

Gaz
01-31-2005, 09:07 AM
That Slovak guy chugged 60 bottles of beer and you can’t finish off a puny 2-liter?

Geez, what a wimp.

xoxo~
Gaz
A chug and burp kinda guy.

Skip Towne
01-31-2005, 09:10 AM
You've been taking lessons from BroWhippenidiot.

Kris Kringle
01-31-2005, 09:43 AM
I'm telling ya, just twist the cap all the way until it locks. Fizz will last weeks. This is the absolute best way to do it. It bugs my wife because she then can't get the cap off, but too bad for her.

ptlyon
01-31-2005, 09:44 AM
That Slovak guy chugged 60 bottles of beer and you can’t finish off a puny 2-liter?

Geez, what a wimp.

xoxo~
Gaz
A chug and burp kinda guy.

No kiddin - my whiskey cokes and whiskey 7's usually aren't around long enough to lose fizz.

But that being said, I use the squeeze method.

Kris Kringle
01-31-2005, 09:46 AM
We're talking about a .99 bottle of pop...throw it out when it loses it's fizz. Truly, I think this is the best answer on this thread. :clap:

patteeu
01-31-2005, 11:07 AM
If you tighten it enuff, you don't lose carb. The only problem is getting a grip to get the cap off. I have a few tools in a kitchen drawer and just use a small crescent wrench.

This doesn't work (except when the bottle is nearly full). See yunghungwell's explanation of why the fizz is lost in the first place.

The pump is the solution I would have gone with, but Phobia's (and el borracho's) cost-free solution is even better. Brilliant.

patteeu
01-31-2005, 11:08 AM
Squeezing all the air out can't possibly be right. The Co2 wants to leave the liquid. This is what the pump does. Pressurizes the air so the Co2 has no place to go but stay trapped.

By squeezing the air out before you tighten the cap, you are leaving no room for the CO2 to escape after the cap is on.

patteeu
01-31-2005, 11:11 AM
In a related subject (kinda), they make a pump for wine bottles that works the opposite way. It pumps the air out of the sealed bottle so that there is less oxygen to spoil the wine.

I don't know what you would do to preserve sparkling wine or champagne. I guess you should transfer it to a 2 liter bottle and use Phobia's solution on it because it would fix both the spoilage problem and the fizz-loss problem.

bobbything
01-31-2005, 11:17 AM
I remember watching Mr. Wizard a long time ago and this question came up. He showed the best way. Simply tighten the cap and turn the bottle upside down for a split second and then right side up. You'll feel the pressure in the bottle start to fill up. The same way it was before you initially opened it.

This works the best.

Otter
01-31-2005, 11:18 AM

I knew it!!!

"Must be a duck under the chair", "that dog won't bite you", "you'll run faster if you put your shoes on backwards"...

I learned to never listen to Phil after that last one.

patteeu
01-31-2005, 11:19 AM
I remember watching Mr. Wizard a long time ago and this question came up. He showed the best way. Simply tighten the cap and turn the bottle upside down for a split second and then right side up. You'll feel the pressure in the bottle start to fill up. The same way it was before you initially opened it.

This works the best.

You may feel the pressure, but when you drink it it will be flat.

yunghungwell
01-31-2005, 12:53 PM
You may feel the pressure, but when you drink it it will be flat.

You are correct, Sir. All turning the bottle upside down does is speed up the time of dissolution of the CO2. In essence you are just reaching the condition of equilibrium faster. Once you open the bottle, conditions change and bye bye CO2.

teedubya
01-31-2005, 01:02 PM
just drink water.

warpaint99
01-31-2005, 01:16 PM
I don't drink 2 litres in 1 day or 2 days. Thats the problem . I usually drink a half a glass a day. 2 litres are less expensive than cans so there's the dilemma.

squeezing doesn't work. The co2 wants to leave the liquid.

You have to pressurize or more co2.

One drop of Dry Ice and kabooom or good fizz.

I am getting a fizz keeper/pump cap. But even that doesn' work for long.

Baby Lee
01-31-2005, 01:35 PM
squeezing doesn't work. The co2 wants to leave the liquid.
If CO2 was leaving the liquid after you squeezed the bottle, it would return to full form. CO2 needs an air mass into which to intersperse. If you take all the air out of the bottle, the CO2 has no where to go.

C-Mac
01-31-2005, 02:09 PM
Phob's method works although it makes for unbalance bottles at times and wont apply when the bottle is 1/3 or less full. That where the pump exceeds these other methods.

yunghungwell
01-31-2005, 02:30 PM
If CO2 was leaving the liquid after you squeezed the bottle, it would return to full form. CO2 needs an air mass into which to intersperse. If you take all the air out of the bottle, the CO2 has no where to go.

Bullshit, the CO2 does not need "an air mass into which to intersperse". The CO2 is going to come out of the soda regardless. I have heard of Phob's idea working before, and I am trying to reason out why it works in my head. I will get back to you when I have a better explanation worked out.

Iowanian
01-31-2005, 02:33 PM
If you're going to try the Dry ice theory, I'd also recommend a placebo.......wad up some aluminum foil and put it in a bottle with a half cup of snowbowl.

Close both lids tightly, set them on the table on either side of you and have someone video from a distance, so we can see the results.

Baby Lee
01-31-2005, 02:34 PM
Bullshit, the CO2 does not need "an air mass into which to intersperse". The CO2 is going to come out of the soda regardless. I have heard of Phob's idea working before, and I am trying to reason out why it works in my head. I will get back to you when I have a better explanation worked out.
Explain how I can squeeze a 2 liter until the liquid is up to the neck, leave it in the fridge for a week, and there is still the same small amount of airspace up there and the soda is still fizzy.

yunghungwell
01-31-2005, 02:43 PM
I am thinking that it has to do with the pressure needed to return the bottle to its original shape. If the bottle can hold pressure against the contents of the bottle then it is essential doing the same thing as the pump cap.

Try this...take an empty bottle 2L bottle, squeeze the bottle slightly without making the plastic crackle. Next replace the cap without letting go of the bottle. Finally open the bottle like you normally would.

Result, the bottle returns to its original shape because atmospheric pressure is enough to push the sides of the bottle back out.

Repeat the experiment a second time, only this time squeeze the bottle enough to make it crackle, putting some creases in it.

Result, the bottle does not return to its original shape.

Why? It takes more than atmospheric pressure to push the sides back to their original shape.

How much more pressure is needed? Well, blow into the bottle to return it to the original shape. It takes the extra pressure that you generate in your lungs.

warpaint99
01-31-2005, 03:48 PM
i got the answer. Guess i wont buy a fizz keeper. They don't work well.

Here are the answers from chemistry people. Strange. One says squeezing wont work and the other says it might.

http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/chem00/chem00544.htm

Another link on keeping fizz.
http://www.stevespanglerscience.com/experiment/00000103

tommykat
01-31-2005, 08:51 PM
I once saw a guy use a cola gadget to pump air into it. I guess it was pressurizing the air so the CO2 wouldn't escape. Anyone know if those work ? Where do you buy them ?

I was also thinking you could mix carbonated water but that would dillute it. Maybe one of those funny looking Co2 capsules used for air rifles but how would you use that ?

Dry Ice ? Nah.

Any tinkerers or chemists out there have any ideas ?

I could have told you all at one time.....my X worked for Coca-Cola.....It was amazing what they did and the cost of a soda was 5 cents....go figure. :rolleyes: No wonder they make money and no one else does!:mad:

Skip Towne
01-31-2005, 08:54 PM
I could have told you all at one time.....my X worked for Coca-Cola.....It was amazing what they did and the cost of a soda was 5 cents....go figure. :rolleyes: No wonder they make money and no one else does!:mad:
Coca-cola is the only company that makes money? Wal-Mart should be notified immediately.

tommykat
01-31-2005, 08:58 PM
Coca-cola is the only company that makes money? Wal-Mart should be notified immediately.

Baby Lee
01-31-2005, 08:59 PM
I've noticed a small wierd trend of fast food workers resenting cola makers making so much money off their product. There's a Taco Bell where the manager asks you if you'd like a soda, but doesn't charge. "That stuff is like a nickel anyways." My buddy's sister works at St. Louis Bread and she's always bitching about paying for soda. Same remark "That stuff is like a nickel anyways."

Phobia
01-31-2005, 09:08 PM
Explain how I can squeeze a 2 liter until the liquid is up to the neck, leave it in the fridge for a week, and there is still the same small amount of airspace up there and the soda is still fizzy.

You can't. My suggestion is a short term solution. It merely delays the inevitable. It's essentially the same thing as the expensive gadget, but free.