PDA

View Full Version : Movies you wish you could see again but can't

siberian khatru
01-30-2005, 10:57 PM
Little gems and cult favorites from long ago that aren't available even on VHS, let alone DVD.

One for me is a film called "Kenny and Company," from 1976. It was done by Don Coscarelli, the guy who did "Phantasm" and "The Beastmaster." It perfectly captures what it was like to be 10-12 years old in 1976. Has some poignant scenes, and also many very, very funny scenes (especially a long Halloween night sequence). Here's the IMDB entry for it: http://imdb.com/title/tt0074739/?fr=c2l0ZT1kZnxzZz0xfHR0PW9ufHBuPTB8cT1LZW5ueSBhbmQgQ29tcGFueXxteD0yMHxsbT0yMDB8aHRtbD0x;fc=1;ft=20; fm=1

At least, I think they're still funny. I caught this movie on HBO in the late 70s, and haven't seen it since the early 80s. It's not available on VHS, although I think you can find on e-bay some bootlegged tapes that somebody taped off HBO 25 years ago.

Any other lost treasures out there?

Michael Michigan
01-31-2005, 01:07 AM
Does 8mm stuff count?

;)

mcan
01-31-2005, 01:15 AM
1. The Making of And God Spoke.
Saw it on Cinimax and thought it was hysterical. Never saw it again.

2. The Monster Squad.
This movie was a staple of my childhood. I would love for this DVD to be made.

3. Day of the Locust.
Caught this on cable one night and it scared the bejesus out of me. I've never seen it at a video store.

Miles
01-31-2005, 01:18 AM
Le Samourai is one of the obscure movies i really want to see but isnt out on DVD. Another is Double Indemnity which hasnt made it on DVD either, but i might be able to catch it on TCM eventually.

Abba-Dabba
01-31-2005, 01:19 AM
Well, for me it was The Park is Mine on DVD. It has been out on VHS for a number of years but the DVD was alittle hard finding. Found one last year.

Right now though, I can't think of any movie that I want and can't get.

Miles
01-31-2005, 01:21 AM
1. The Making of And God Spoke.
Saw it on Cinimax and thought it was hysterical. Never saw it again.

2. The Monster Squad.
This movie was a staple of my childhood. I would love for this DVD to be made.

3. Day of the Locust.
Caught this on cable one night and it scared the bejesus out of me. I've never seen it at a video store.

I havent seen them but #1 and 3 on your list are out on DVD at least. If you have netflix you can get em.

Spicy McHaggis
01-31-2005, 01:31 AM
Semi-related film question. Not that I plan on seeing it but is the new alone in the dark film based off the computer games from back in the day? I got a kick playing those growing up.

Miles
01-31-2005, 01:37 AM
Semi-related film question. Not that I plan on seeing it but is the new alone in the dark film based off the computer games from back in the day? I got a kick playing those growing up.

Yeah the movie is actually based off of it...how they could have thought that it was a good idea I dont know.

Xtrahot
01-31-2005, 02:06 AM
Paris Texas.

Watched it in cable many years back. It's one of those movies that really reached out to me.

The last time I checked, only bootleg versions were available.

RNR
01-31-2005, 02:51 AM
Little Gems is a reach, however has anyone seen "Gypsy Moths" if you have, you have seen me in my only movie role!
http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hv&id=1808413050&cf=info&intl=us
My uncle owned the airport in Benton Kansas where part of this waste of film was made, and yes I appear in one scene.

redsurfer11
01-31-2005, 04:25 AM
Slaughterhouse 5

FloridaChief
01-31-2005, 04:56 AM
Slaughterhouse 5

Recently re-released on DVD.

Jenson71
01-31-2005, 06:16 AM
Paris Texas.

Watched it in cable many years back. It's one of those movies that really reached out to me.

The last time I checked, only bootleg versions were available.

I don't know if it's a bootleg? It's available at my best buy for $10 under the Special Interest section:

http://images.bestbuy.com/BestBuy_US/images/products/1401/14012329.jpg

Baby Lee
01-31-2005, 06:44 AM
Anyone remember a movie called 'Savannah Smiles?' About a little girl [daughter of some bigwig] who runs away by hopping into the getaway car of some goofy small-time crooks.
I remember thinking it was gonna be a crappy girlie movie [mom picked it out], but by the end of the movie the whole theater was reaching for kleenex and sniffling and snuffling.
Fairly impressive movie, that I've never seen anywhere, cable, TV, VHS, DVD, since.

siberian khatru
01-31-2005, 07:10 AM
Speaking of Cinemax, in the early 80s Cinemax showed "Genesis In Concert," a film of the group live in 1976. I last saw it in the mid-to-late 80s on USA Network's Night Flight (remember that show?). It's not a complete concert, but it's got some good stuff from the immediately post-Gabriel years. And Phil Collins with hair (and a full beard). Anyway, as best as I can tell, it's never been released on video.

Ultra Peanut
01-31-2005, 07:46 AM
Safe Men. Far from a classic, but a very fun little movie that's not available on DVD.

Fire Me Boy!
01-31-2005, 08:28 AM
Kenny & Company: http://search.ebay.com/kenny-company_W0QQfkrZ1QQfromZR8

saturnknts
01-31-2005, 08:41 AM
i swear when i was a kid there was a movie on hbo that was about kid gangsters. their guns shot eggs or something. thought it was called something malone. oh well i will never find it. was just a cool movie when i was a kid.

honorary mention would be convoy, loved the trucks when i was younger. yes i know its on dvd but very hard to find, can't believe a movie like this would cost so much on ebay :shake:

jspchief
01-31-2005, 08:43 AM
I saw an hour long comedy show on one of the premium channels late one night about 2 years ago. It was the funniest sh*t I'd seen in a long time.

The next morning when I woke up I couldn't remember the comedians name. The TV guide had something listed that was wrong. I've scoured comedy websites and and DVDs hoping something will ring a bell, and have yet to find anything. That comedy show is my holy grail.

siberian khatru
01-31-2005, 08:59 AM
i swear when i was a kid there was a movie on hbo that was about kid gangsters. their guns shot eggs or something. thought it was called something malone. oh well i will never find it. was just a cool movie when i was a kid.

"Bugsy Malone." Directed, believe it or not, by Alan Parker. Starring Jodie Foster and Scott Baio.

Baby Lee
01-31-2005, 09:07 AM
I saw an hour long comedy show on one of the premium channels late one night about 2 years ago. It was the funniest sh*t I'd seen in a long time.

The next morning when I woke up I couldn't remember the comedians name. The TV guide had something listed that was wrong. I've scoured comedy websites and and DVDs hoping something will ring a bell, and have yet to find anything. That comedy show is my holy grail.
Remember any of the bits?

jspchief
01-31-2005, 09:13 AM
Remember any of the bits?

The bit that made me laugh the hardest was about either sh*t or taking a sh*t. That's all I can give you. It was a white guy kind of in the style of Dave Attel, and his name was something kind of common (like Dave)

Kclee
01-31-2005, 09:13 AM
Anyone remember a movie called 'Savannah Smiles?' About a little girl [daughter of some bigwig] who runs away by hopping into the getaway car of some goofy small-time crooks.
I remember thinking it was gonna be a crappy girlie movie [mom picked it out], but by the end of the movie the whole theater was reaching for kleenex and sniffling and snuffling.
Fairly impressive movie, that I've never seen anywhere, cable, TV, VHS, DVD, since.

Wasn't that the one were 2 guys are taking care of a little girl. Well, not really taking care, but holding her ransom and they end up really caring for her. As you can tell, I vaguely remember, but from what I remember, yeah that was good.

Monster Squad rocked too. What about YellowBeard?

Ultra Peanut
01-31-2005, 09:15 AM
i swear when i was a kid there was a movie on hbo that was about kid gangsters. their guns shot eggs or something. thought it was called something malone. oh well i will never find it. was just a cool movie when i was a kid."Bugsy Malone." Directed, believe it or not, by Alan Parker. Starring Jodie Foster and Scott Baio.Holy shit. I've ****ing seen that. They threw pies or something.

In the past year or so, I may have wondered, in passing, what the hell that movie was two or three times.

jspchief
01-31-2005, 09:19 AM
What about YellowBeard?

One of my all time favorites as a kid. "Excuse me sir, would you like a lump of sh*t?"

Baby Lee
01-31-2005, 09:24 AM
Wasn't that the one were 2 guys are taking care of a little girl. Well, not really taking care, but holding her ransom and they end up really caring for her. As you can tell, I vaguely remember, but from what I remember, yeah that was good.

Monster Squad rocked too. What about YellowBeard?
Yeah, she ran off by jumping into their getaway car, and they didn't notice her until they were back at their hideout. At first they tried to return her to her parents, but somehow they were gonna get stomped if they did and the girl didn't want to go back anyway. So they took to raising her on their own, but eventually the the law caught up with them.

Looked over on IMDB after I posted, and it looks like the girl who played Savannah died of a drug overdose when she was 22. Sad end.

Also noticed that a number of people both on IMDB and Amazon [where the out of print DVD sells for $36] remember the movie as fondly as I.

Kclee
01-31-2005, 09:36 AM
Yeah, she ran off by jumping into their getaway car, and they didn't notice her until they were back at their hideout. At first they tried to return her to her parents, but somehow they were gonna get stomped if they did and the girl didn't want to go back anyway. So they took to raising her on their own, but eventually the the law caught up with them.

Yes, I'm remembering it a little better. And didn't they sing about a drunk duck at the end? And wow, she died of a drug overdose? I guess they won't be making a part two to that. :)

Kclee
01-31-2005, 09:40 AM
One of my all time favorites as a kid. "Excuse me sir, would you like a lump of sh*t?"

Then you probably remember Midnight Madness. That movie was great and on HBO all the time too. I actually have MM on VHS.

Nzoner
01-31-2005, 09:43 AM
I last saw it in the mid-to-late 80s on USA Network's Night Flight (remember that show?).

Seeing Night Flight again would be awesome,it was where I first saw Bambi vs. Godzilla.

tyton75
01-31-2005, 09:44 AM

Now that you mention it.. I loved that movie! I would never have remembered it on my own though!

jspchief
01-31-2005, 09:48 AM
Then you probably remember Midnight Madness. That movie was great and on HBO all the time too. I actually have MM on VHS.I had to look it up on IMDB. It seems remotely familiar, but I don't reall remember it.

It did however make me think of that movie where the college kids were trying "shoot" each other (can't remember if it was dart guns or laser tag or what). Seems like maybe one of the people started really killing kids or something. Dam...my memory is going to crap.

siberian khatru
01-31-2005, 09:49 AM
Seeing Night Flight again would be awesome,it was where I first saw Bambi vs. Godzilla.

I became a Yes fan when I saw the concert film "Yessongs" on Night Flight in 1980. Lots and lots of teen memories of that show. I'd love to see those things re-run.

BTW, I first saw Bambi vs. Godzilla in something called "The Fantastic Animation Festival." Was released to theaters in 1977. Great stuff: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0241436/?fr=c2l0ZT1kZnxzZz0xfHR0PW9ufHBuPTB8cT1GYW50YXN0aWMgQW5pbWF0b24gRmVzdGl2YWx8bXg9MjB8bG09MjAwfGh0bWw9 MQ__;fc=1;ft=10;fm=1

siberian khatru
01-31-2005, 09:50 AM
I had to look it up on IMDB. It seems remotely familiar, but I don't reall remember it.

It did however make me think of that movie where the college kids were trying "shoot" each other (can't remember if it was dart guns or laser tag or what). Seems like maybe one of the people started really killing kids or something. Dam...my memory is going to crap.

Was that "TAG: The Assassination Game" with Anthony Edwards? Mid-80s?

Baby Lee
01-31-2005, 09:50 AM
I had to look it up on IMDB. It seems remotely familiar, but I don't reall remember it.

Wasn't that Gotcha or something like that, with Dr. Green/Goose?

siberian khatru
01-31-2005, 09:51 AM

THAT's the movie. I think I'm mixing up "TAG" with "Gotcha."

jspchief
01-31-2005, 09:52 AM
Was that "TAG: The Assassination Game" with Anthony Edwards? Mid-80s?Rep to you.

I was thinking "was that nick cage in that movie?", then I thought to myself, no it was doctor Green from ER, buy I wasn't positive.

Baby Lee
01-31-2005, 09:53 AM
Rep to you.

I was thinking "was that nick cage in that movie?", then I thought to myself, no it was doctor Green from ER, buy I wasn't positive.
WTF!! Rep the guy who got it wrong? :banghead: ROFL

jspchief
01-31-2005, 09:53 AM
THAT's the movie. I think I'm mixing up "TAG" with "Gotcha."Hmmm...I think I must be too...those movies are blending together.

siberian khatru
01-31-2005, 09:56 AM
TAG and Gotcha had similar plots (well, they each involved college dart gun games). And here's the confusion: TAG starred Robert Carradine, who co-starred with Anthony Edwards in Revenge of the Nerds. So that's what my brain snyapses were stumbling over.

jspchief
01-31-2005, 09:57 AM
WTF!! Rep the guy who got it wrong? :banghead: ROFL

I did some investigation before I sent out the rep. The right guy got it. It was Gotcha.

T.A.G. was a semi-horror movie.

Nzoner
01-31-2005, 09:58 AM
I became a Yes fan when I saw the concert film "Yessongs" on Night Flight in 1980. Lots and lots of teen memories of that show. I'd love to see those things re-run.

BTW, I first saw Bambi vs. Godzilla in something called "The Fantastic Animation Festival." Was released to theaters in 1977. Great stuff: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0241436/?fr=c2l0ZT1kZnxzZz0xfHR0PW9ufHBuPTB8cT1GYW50YXN0aWMgQW5pbWF0b24gRmVzdGl2YWx8bXg9MjB8bG09MjAwfGh0bWw9 MQ__;fc=1;ft=10;fm=1

It'd be nice to see Night Flight released on DVD as season one etc like they're doing with a lot of shows.As you,I got many memories from it including The Terror Of Tiny Town,clips from Refer Madness,the first time also seeing Berlin's video to Sex......

Thanks for the link.

Baby Lee
01-31-2005, 10:02 AM
I did some investigation before I sent out the rep. The right guy got it. It was Gotcha.

T.A.G. was a semi-horror movie.
No big deal, but you might be confused.

Was that "TAG: The Assassination Game" with Anthony Edwards? Mid-80s?
Rep to you.

kufan2
01-31-2005, 10:04 AM
A great vampire movie called "Near Dark". If you get the chance watch thiis movie.

Nzoner
01-31-2005, 10:07 AM
Had to do a search on Night Flight and found this (http://www.freewebs.com/nightflight/).

Even though it looks to not have been updated in a bit I will definitely have to spend some time there.

Baby Lee
01-31-2005, 10:10 AM
Now that you mention it.. I loved that movie! I would never have remembered it on my own though!
Here's the most expansive summary of it I found. Warning! Some spoilers.

Bridgette is number three on the credited cast list and plays Savannah, one of the main characters of the story.

Savannah is the only child of a wealthy politician, Richard Driscoll (played by Chris Robinson) who is more concerned with his image and career than with his family. When Savannah's birthday cake is shared only by the maid, she decides to run away. Having an upcoming overnight stay with one of her cousins (played by Savannah Miller), Savannah packs a bag and slips it unnoticed into her aunt's car.

Meanwhile, two bungling criminals named Alvie (played by Mark Miller who also wrote the screenplay) and Boots (played by Donovan Scott) are on the loose. Having tried to rob a store and failed miserably, they decide to try something simpler - like stealing purses from unsuspecting women at a park.

On the way home, Savannah's aunt stops at a park to allow the girls to play. Yep, you guessed it - same park where Alvie and Boots are. At the park, Savannah slips off, gets her bag from her aunt's car and hides in one of the cars parked at the park. Yep, you guessed it again - Boot's car. After stealing a purse, Boots and Alvie leave the park (unaware that Savannah is hiding in the back seat). When Alvie throws an ice cream cone out the window, it strikes a policeman, who then pulls the car over. However, when he sees that they have their "daughter" with them, he lets them go with only a warning. Surprised at having Savannah in the car, Boots and Alvie try to decide what to do with her. However, intent on not returning home, Savannah refuses to tell them her name or where she lives. So, they have no choice but to take her back to their hideout.

The next day, Savannah's disappearance is in the newspapers and a $100,000 reward is offered for her safe return. Alvie now sees a chance to make a lot of money legally, but he and Boots are afraid that the police will assume they kidnapped her for the money. They decide to keep her a little longer so they can figure out how to collect the money and not be caught or charged with kidnapping.

Savannah quickly wins Boots over with her wit and charm. Alvie too comes to love her and the concern turns towards getting her safely home - even without collecting the money. Savannah is also won over by Boots and Alvie because of all of the attention they give her (including a picnic in the mountains where they have a lot of fun).

Meanwhile, Savannah's father has hired a hard-nosed detective (played by Peter Graves) to find her. He eventually tracks her down to the hideout and convinces the local police the only way to get her back is to have a sharp shooter pick off both Boots and Alvie. When this fails, Boots, Alvie and Savannah escape the police and hide out in the mountains.

Warning: Spoiler ahead!

Alvie contacts Savannah's father and tells him that they are not interested in the reward money and that their only concern is Savannah's safe return. However, Savannah's father seems convinced that it is in his best political interest to say nothing to the police and to let the police handle it with guns. Savannah's mother finally speaks up in defense of Savannah's safety.

As this conversation takes place, the detective tracks down Savannah and the criminals - still intent on killing Boots and Alvie to ensure Savannah's safe return. In a final showdown, Savannah's parents, the police, Boots, Alvie and Savannah all come together on the mountain. In a tense moment, Savannah is finally returned to her parents and Boots and Alvie are captured alive. in the closing moments, Savannah expresses her love for Boots and Alvie as her father looks on, embarrassed by being upstaged by these two criminals.

Movie review:
Savannah Smiles is a warm and touching movie. It shows that a child needs warmth, attention and love as much as or more than material things and that even the hardest criminal can be won over by a loving child. All of the acting is well played, especially Bridgette. The story is extremely well done with bits of humor, fun, drama and suspense all occurring at just the right time. While the ending is fairly predictable, it nonetheless manages to keep you on the edge of your seat. This movie is highly recommended for audiences of all ages.

For her performance in Savannah Smiles, Bridgette won the BEST YOUNG MOTION PICTURE ACTRESS award at the Fourth Annual Young Artist Awards Years: 1981-1982.

jspchief
01-31-2005, 10:11 AM
No big deal, but you might be confused.

I'm not.

I thought he was right when he said T.A.G., but before I actually sent the rep, I investigated. TAG didn't seem like what I was thinking of. That's about the time you posted Gotcha. Gotcha is the movie I was thinking of. It had Dr. Green in it. I sent you the rep. No confusion.

siberian khatru
01-31-2005, 10:11 AM
Had to do a search on Night Flight and found this (http://www.freewebs.com/nightflight/).

Even though it looks to not have been updated in a bit I will definitely have to spend some time there.

Well, I won't be getting any work done today. Thanks. :thumb:

jspchief
01-31-2005, 10:14 AM
Did anyone else watch "Kung Fu Theater" on USA on Sundays?

I can remember I'd be pissed because I always had to leave to play rec soccer in the middle of it. Man, I loved that sh*t. If they put that back on TV, I'd quit my job so I could stay home and watch it.

Baby Lee
01-31-2005, 10:16 AM
I'm not.

I thought he was right when he said T.A.G., but before I actually sent the rep, I investigated. TAG didn't seem like what I was thinking of. That's about the time you posted Gotcha. Gotcha is the movie I was thinking of. It had Dr. Green in it. I sent you the rep. No confusion.
I guess I was just confused, then. No worries. Just a head shaker [scooby voice]arrruhhhh????[/scooby voice] as I was reading the exchange. That's what I get for posting pre-coffee.

:thumb:

Nzoner
01-31-2005, 10:17 AM
Well, I won't be getting any work done today. Thanks. :thumb:

Check out the message boards there's a guy that has DVD's for $5.

Baby Lee
01-31-2005, 10:18 AM

I can remember I'd be pissed because I always had to leave to play rec soccer in the middle of it. Man, I loved that sh*t. If they put that back on TV, I'd quit my job so I could stay home and watch it.
How in the hell do you get 'pissed' when you get to play soccer?
But then, thinking back on it, when I was playing rec soccer, there wasn't a TV in the house.

Kclee
01-31-2005, 10:19 AM

Yep. This thread is bringing back memories I would have never thought of. Land of the Lost came to mind for some reason now too.

Baby Lee
01-31-2005, 10:21 AM
Yep. This thread is bringing back memories I would have never thought of. Land of the Lost came to mind for some reason now too.
Speaking of bringing back memories. You avvy is cracking me up. We had a classmate in HS who was a dead ringer for Gary Gnu. I can't even remember his real name, as it was replaced almost immediately with the 'Gnu' moniker.

jspchief
01-31-2005, 10:25 AM
How in the hell do you get 'pissed' when you get to play soccer?

Let me pull up the shrink's couch....

It was all part of this horrible rec league system where coaches were allowed to retain their players the following year. If you were good, chances were you'd play for the same coach your entire time in that age group. Some coaches would change age groups with their core players. So I had the same coach through nearly all of my rec soccer life..problem being, she was a dumb fat bitch that was more "soccer mom" than "soccer coach". We routinely got our asses kicked because she refused to dump the bad players and she never actually taught "skills". I could go on...

There. Aren't you glad you asked?

Baby Lee
01-31-2005, 10:35 AM
Let me pull up the shrink's couch....

It was all part of this horrible rec league system where coaches were allowed to retain their players the following year. If you were good, chances were you'd play for the same coach your entire time in that age group. Some coaches would change age groups with their core players. So I had the same coach through nearly all of my rec soccer life..problem being, she was a dumb fat bitch that was more "soccer mom" than "soccer coach". We routinely got our asses kicked because she refused to dump the bad players and she never actually taught "skills". I could go on...

There. Aren't you glad you asked?
OIC. We had a pretty evenhanded selection process for our rec league [GBSC - Grandview Belton Soccer Club]. The twin goals were parity and not having to travel too far for your practice sessions. So you got some turnover, some sucky kids [many of whom got a lot better], and some of having the same kids on your team year after year. The glaring exception was Our Lady of Peace, a private school who sponsored a team. Somehow all the kids from the school always got on their team. This gave them an edge as they got to practice together every day at recess. Needless to say they were the 'powerhouse.' But it was OK, as it gave the rest of us motivation to beat them.

jspchief
01-31-2005, 10:38 AM
Grandview Belton ...as in Belton MO?

Baby Lee
01-31-2005, 10:44 AM
Grandview Belton ...as in Belton MO?
Yeah, I played their rec league fall and spring from age 8-11. Then I played on their 'select' travelling team, sponsored by KCP&L. Then we got together our own travelling team of Belton only boys to play against the likes of Johnny Macs and Anheiser Busch, and the powerhouses out of Omaha and Tulsa. Played exclusively indoor for a year or two [at some points practically living there] at the indoor facility that used to be behind Venture/Home Depot at Bannister, until we got a HS team.

CanadaKC
01-31-2005, 10:46 AM
"Don't Be Afraid of the Dark"...a made-for-TV movie that came out in the 70's. One of the scariest movies ever made. It was brilliant...a woman moves into a home and unknowingly releases evil goblins from her basement...who then hunt her down and try to take her back down the dark hole from where they came from. They only can hunt in the dark. A great ending.

jspchief
01-31-2005, 10:47 AM
I don't know how old you are, but did you know any of the Masters from the Belton area? If you aren't very old, you wouldn't. Also, I'm not sure how big Belton really is..back then I'm guessing it was a 1 high school town.

Baby Lee
01-31-2005, 10:48 AM
"Don't Be Afraid of the Dark"...a made-for-TV movie that came out in the 70's. One of the scariest movies ever made. It was brilliant...a woman moves into a home and unknowingly releases evil goblins from her basement...who then hunt her down and try to take her back down the dark hole from where they came from. They only can hunt in the dark. A great ending.
What about the surpisingly creepy Disney production "Watcher in the Woods?"

CanadaKC
01-31-2005, 10:50 AM
What about the surpisingly creepy Disney production "Watcher in the Woods?" ...I never saw that one. Will have to check it out...thanks Baby Lee! Have you seen "Don't Be Afraid of the Dark"?

Baby Lee
01-31-2005, 10:51 AM
I don't know how old you are, but did you know any of the Masters from the Belton area? If you aren't very old, you wouldn't. Also, I'm not sure how big Belton really is..back then I'm guessing it was a 1 high school town.
Moved to Belton in '79 at age 8. Attended Gladden Elementary 79-83, BJHS 83-86, BHS 86-89. Name Masters doesn't ring an immediate bell.

jspchief
01-31-2005, 10:53 AM
Moved to Belton in '79 at age 8. Attended Gladden Elementary 79-83, BJHS 83-86, BHS 86-89. Name Masters doesn't ring an immediate bell.Yea, you're a bit too young. I had you pegged as an older person.

Baby Lee
01-31-2005, 10:53 AM
What about the surpisingly creepy Disney production "Watcher in the Woods?" ...I never saw that one. Will have to check it out...thanks Baby Lee! Have you seen "Don't Be Afraid of the Dark"?
No.

On WitW, I can't say how it will stand up. But it was very creepy when I saw it as a kid. Not gory or violent or disgusting, more 'bump in the night' stuff.

Nzoner
01-31-2005, 02:14 PM

Speaking of made for tv if memory serves there was one in the 70's called The House On Green Apple Road.I vaguely remember the beginning but it would be interesting to see it again.

Valiant
01-31-2005, 02:59 PM
Little gems and cult favorites from long ago that aren't available even on VHS, let alone DVD.

One for me is a film called "Kenny and Company," from 1976. It was done by Don Coscarelli, the guy who did "Phantasm" and "The Beastmaster." It perfectly captures what it was like to be 10-12 years old in 1976. Has some poignant scenes, and also many very, very funny scenes (especially a long Halloween night sequence). Here's the IMDB entry for it: http://imdb.com/title/tt0074739/?fr=c2l0ZT1kZnxzZz0xfHR0PW9ufHBuPTB8cT1LZW5ueSBhbmQgQ29tcGFueXxteD0yMHxsbT0yMDB8aHRtbD0x;fc=1;ft=20; fm=1

At least, I think they're still funny. I caught this movie on HBO in the late 70s, and haven't seen it since the early 80s. It's not available on VHS, although I think you can find on e-bay some bootlegged tapes that somebody taped off HBO 25 years ago.

Any other lost treasures out there?

They are on dvd at most retailers...I bought beastmaster at Circuit City..

siberian khatru
01-31-2005, 03:03 PM
They are on dvd at most retailers...I bought beastmaster at Circuit City..

Kenny and Company isn't. Although it reportedly (finally) will be this spring.

JazzzLovr
01-31-2005, 03:29 PM

For some reason, that just reminded me of a movie I saw on TV a few years back that starred Paul Reiser (sp?). I think it was called "The Building." His girlfriend worked in this office building that had this high-tech state-of-the-art security system. He went to pick her up from work, and they somehow got stuck in there after business hours. The building's security system perceived them as intruders and spent the rest of the movie trying to kill them.

And that reminded me of another one that I can only vaguely remember. It was another one that I watched on TV, but I was pretty young at the time. The gist of it was that this group of people--family or friends or something--was staying in a house and they started dying off one by one, due to various (and sometimes gruesome) household "accidents." The only one I can remember right now is that it seemed like one guy was crushed in the building's trash compactor.

Not that I really feel the need to see either one of these movies again, but they just came to mind. :)