PDA

View Full Version : Mac Vs the Virus...

Gaz
01-31-2005, 08:22 AM
I keep reading how Mac are invulnerable to hacking. Is that inherent in the OS, or is it because Apple owns such a small market share that it is not worth a hacker’s time to mess with it? If enough people switch to Apple, will the viruses and worms just follow along?

xoxo~
Gaz
Extremely hesitant.

Saulbadguy
01-31-2005, 08:30 AM
is it because Apple owns such a small market share that it is not worth a hacker’s time to mess with it?
Yep.

htismaqe
01-31-2005, 08:37 AM
It is due to lack of infectious agents, not vulnerabilities.

Gaz
01-31-2005, 09:03 AM
I was afraid of that.

I had a Mac here at work many years ago. But at the time, Apples for home use were WAY too expensive. Since then, I have accumulated a sizeable inventory of PC software.

The only real advantage Mac had was invulnerablility.

Guess I’ll stick with my PC.

xoxo~
Gaz
A bit disappointed, but not surprised.

Saulbadguy
01-31-2005, 09:20 AM
How many times have you been hacked, Gaz? Why worry so much about vulnerability/invulnerability?

Also, you are just as likely to get your identity stolen on a PC as a Mac. Its all the same internet.

Gaz
01-31-2005, 09:37 AM
I worry because my financial data in on my computer. I use a firewall, McAfee anti-virus and several spyware programs.

I wanted a Mac, but could not justify the cost. Now Apple is finally getting a clue and offering cheaper Macs. The problem is that I have a lot of $$$ invested in software. The only justification for dumping all that software and starting over would be if the Mac was truly bulletproof.

I suspect that the glowing “no hakers, no viruses” statements from the MacHeads are bogus. I was wondering what you folks had to say.

xoxo~
Gaz
PC tarbaby.

Saulbadguy
01-31-2005, 10:04 AM
Looks like you are secure enough. I wouldn't worry.