PDA

View Full Version : Auto subwoofer recommendations, please

Bob Dole
01-31-2005, 03:21 PM
The Kenwood KAC-719 and 12" Orion 2NT aren't going to fit acceptably in the trunk of the new ride. Does anyone have any suggestions for a smaller configuration to augment the factory installed sound system?

Bob Dole hates to see this one go since it's been rock solid and trouble free through 2 previous vehicles, but there just isn't enough trunk space available...

Saulbadguy
01-31-2005, 03:38 PM
PPI anything, with a JL 10"

Bob Dole
01-31-2005, 04:11 PM
PPI anything, with a JL 10"

Isn't that going to end up eating just as much space as the 12" box?

Anyone have any experience with the Infinity Basslink X (http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?i=108BASSLCL)?

Saulbadguy
01-31-2005, 04:20 PM
I was never a fan of the amp built in to the sub...but oh well. A 10" of course won't take up as much room as a 12"...

Have you considered checking out the custom made boxes? Depending on the truck you have, they make them in a custom "mold" that will fit just fine in an area in your truck.

Bob Dole
02-01-2005, 06:27 AM
I was never a fan of the amp built in to the sub...but oh well. A 10" of course won't take up as much room as a 12"...

Have you considered checking out the custom made boxes? Depending on the truck you have, they make them in a custom "mold" that will fit just fine in an area in your truck.

A 10" sub will obviously take up slighty less room than a 12", but you've still got an issue with the cubic feet requirement for the enclosure if you want any kind of accurate sound reproduction. But even the closed box (not ported) that Bob Dole had eats more space than Bob Dole wants to give up.

While the golf bags in this photo give an idea of the space available, it's a bit misleading because they have removed the spare tire. You wouldn't be able to get the forewardmost bag in the thing with the spare tire mounted.

Anyone have experience with open-air subs?

http://www.carmemories.com/images/dbimages/3005.jpg

Saulbadguy
02-01-2005, 06:45 AM
Anyone have experience with open-air subs?

Other than hearing them and thinking they sound like crap, no. Very muddy sound.

Bob Dole
02-01-2005, 07:02 AM
Other than hearing them and thinking they sound like crap, no. Very muddy sound.

Were the subs designed for open-air, or did some idiot just mount a regular subwoofer open-air and think it was going to work?

Looking around since the last post, Bob Dole found what might end up being a decent way to accomplish what he's wanting. (Except with grills...) Bob Dole can only recall using a car's passthru once in the past 20 years...

HC_Chief
02-01-2005, 10:55 AM
Hey Bob, I have a 10" sub enclosure, badass amp(new, never hooked up), & wiring kit I'd be wiling to sell 4 cheap. Lemme know if you're interested... I'll snap some photos and get the specs.

Herzig
02-01-2005, 01:44 PM
You need to ask C-Mac...he owns "Mariconi Stereo". I'm sure he could give several good recomendations.

Bob Dole
02-01-2005, 02:21 PM
You need to ask C-Mac...he owns "Mariconi Stereo". I'm sure he could give several good recomendations.

It seem like there is someone else in a similar situation on here, too. Bob Dole was kind of hoping they'd jump in at some point...

Herzig
02-01-2005, 03:40 PM

Seriously...you guys should PM' Craig(C-Mac). His store is geared toward car audio...