PDA

View Full Version : talk of Favre not returning to the Pack

Wile_E_Coyote
02-01-2005, 01:42 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/packer/news/feb05/298028.asp

Green Bay Packers receiver Donald Driver said in a radio interview this morning that he believes Packers quarterback Brett Favre will decide to retire and not play another season in the National Football League.
http://adserver.journalinteractive.com/RealMedia/ads/adstream_nx.cgi/www.jsonline.com/adsections/new/default@Middle1 (http://adserver.journalinteractive.com/RealMedia/ads/click_nx.cgi/www.jsonline.com/adsections/new/default@Middle1)

Driver made his comments on Sirius NFL Radio on "The Opening Drive" show with Dan Reeves and Chris Moore. Sirius is a satellite pay radio service.

Driver, who is in Jacksonville for a Super Bowl promotion, was asked if Favre will return to play next season.

"I don't think so," Driver said. "Everyone has been asking me that question. He's a real close friend of mine and we've been talking back and forth, and I think he's pretty much going to hang 'em up. I always told him, if you're coming back just because of that playoff game, don't show up. But it you're going to come back to try and win another Super Bowl, we'd love to have you."

The Minnesota Vikings defeated the Packers, 31-17, on Jan. 9 to send the Packers out of the playoffs this season.

Driver said he thinks Favre has made up his mind and said the Packers' request to know his intentions before the draft, April 23-24, forced Favre to decide on retirement.

"I think so," Driver said when asked whether Favre had made up his mind. "I think he was trying to wait until the draft, and I think coach Sherman wanted to know right before free agency because there are a couple of quarterback free agents that they want to look at if Brett decided not to come back. I think they forced him to make a decision. When you force one of the greatest quarterbacks in the NFL to make a decision, he's pretty much going to let you know that he maybe is just hanging 'em up."

Favre, 35, has played for 14 seasons in the NFL, 13 for the Packers.

Kclee
02-01-2005, 01:47 PM
Wow, that would really surpise me. The NFC is still pretty weak, he could make at least 1 more run at a SB. But I guess with all his family issues...

DaKCMan AP
02-01-2005, 01:48 PM
Emmitt Smith is expected to retire as well.

Garcia Bronco
02-01-2005, 01:51 PM
http://www.extremeskins.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=banghaha&file=index

If you haven't seen this...omg LMAO!

Saulbadguy
02-01-2005, 02:03 PM
Emmitt Smith is expected to retire as well.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1981383

Iowanian
02-01-2005, 02:13 PM
It wouldn't suprise me at all. That man has been through one hell of a year off the field, his wife has cancer, he's not the same QB he used to be, he has his Superbowl.

Favre could walk off today and hold his head high.

"Drew Brees, this is Coach Sherman up in Greenbay"

Brock
02-01-2005, 02:13 PM
Sorry to see him go, if it happens.

Garcia Bronco
02-01-2005, 02:23 PM
It wouldn't suprise me at all. That man has been through one hell of a year off the field, his wife has cancer, he's not the same QB he used to be, he has his Superbowl.

Favre could walk off today and hold his head high.

"Drew Brees, this is Coach Sherman up in Greenbay"

Plus 2 1/2 league MVP's

Calcountry
02-01-2005, 02:34 PM
IMO, Farve should have retired last year.

Hoover
02-01-2005, 02:43 PM
My Breast Cancer can he real hard on a person, he has done it all, no reason not to be with his family (Plus do you think GB can win it all in the next 2 years?)

Brock
02-01-2005, 03:04 PM
My Breast Cancer can he real hard on a person, he has done it all, no reason not to be with his family (Plus do you think GB can win it all in the next 2 years?)

There is no reason to think they couldn't.

Red Dawg
02-01-2005, 03:07 PM
I like Favre alot but he hasn't played really well in years. He was the bomb back in the day but now he seems to play crazy and all over the place. Not the player he was. He's got great stats and is tough but not a consistant awsome QB.

Kclee
02-01-2005, 03:19 PM

They are in a poor division. The whole NFC is weak. I would bet they could make the playoffs again. They have a great RB, an alright D. Brett can still get it done. They wouldn't be the favorite, but anything can happen in the playoffs.

Calcountry
02-01-2005, 03:30 PM
I feel for the guy, he needs to hang it up now, and go out a winner.

One more year and he will be serving up pics like a rookie.

dtebbe
02-01-2005, 04:36 PM
Man if this happens that will leave Tom Brady as John Maden's favorite tug-one-out toy.

DT

NaptownChief
02-01-2005, 05:25 PM
Man if this happens that will leave Tom Brady as John Maden's favorite tug-one-out toy.

DT

Madden losing Favre and Emmitt in the same offseason would certainly be tough. Emmitt was forced to pass the baton to Favre somewhere around 96 to Favre. I'm still not sure which one holds the record with Madden tugs. :D

Skip Towne
02-01-2005, 06:26 PM
My 16 year old daughter will be devastated if he quits. his coupled with Reggie White's death would be too much.