PDA

View Full Version : A little help from the KU fans...

duncan_idaho
02-01-2005, 09:13 PM
I'm working on a project right now that includes researching and writing about the Top 5 moments in KU football history (in Memorial Stadium), and I thought I'd check in with the Chiefsplanet crowd to see what came to the local Beakers' minds.

I'm conducting my own research, but I thought I might as well ask some of you what you thought of when you thought great KU football moments. Jayhawk football fans, please weigh in:
(For those of you wondering, I'm doing this to test what I find. I'm not being lazy. This was simply the quickest access I had to multiple KU fans. I'll probably do a similar thing for Kansas State in a few days).

Here are the guidelines:
The moments aren't restricted to a game: it can be a coaching era, an individual play, players, or record-setting performances.

Thanks, guys!
Anyone? Anyone?

|Zach|
02-01-2005, 09:14 PM
My HS head coach played QB for KU. He said he got sacked. Alot.

Saulbadguy
02-01-2005, 09:15 PM
Ugh...October 9th, 2004 comes to mind. I, as a K-State fan, will never forget that day. I'm sure the KU diehards won't forget it either.

Saulbadguy
02-01-2005, 09:18 PM
My HS head coach played QB for KU. He said he got sacked. Alot.
Zac Wegner? :)

|Zach|
02-01-2005, 09:19 PM
Zac Wegner? :)
Kelly Donahoe.

Saulbadguy
02-01-2005, 09:20 PM
Skip mentioned they made the Orange Bowl in 1969. I'd get his attention on this thread, he knows alot more about KU history than I. I'm sure there are some things about Gale Sayers and John Riggins that he would know that I sure don't.

Mr. Kotter
02-01-2005, 09:21 PM
Early 1980s KU victory over then Number #1 ranked Oklahoma (kicked their ass)....it would be the ONLY loss for OU that year. PBJ

duncan_idaho
02-01-2005, 09:22 PM
The Oct. 9 game is actually in consideration...
as are Gale Sayers 99-yard TD run, Tony Sands 396 yard rushing performance...

and the mark mangino era. :)

Saulbadguy
02-01-2005, 09:27 PM
Early 1980s KU victory over then Number #1 ranked Oklahoma (kicked their ass)....it would be the ONLY loss for OU that year. PBJ
That was 1975.

duncan_idaho
02-01-2005, 09:28 PM
Of course, I'll be including the 1960 forfeit loss to Missouri... MU was No. 1 coming into the game, lost, then won by forfeit because KU used an ineligible player. It cost the Tigers, who went on to win the Orange Bowl, the National Title

If keeping your arch-rival from winning what would be their only major national title isn't a top 5 moment, I don't know what is

duncan_idaho
02-01-2005, 09:29 PM
dammit... both the OU (1975) and MU (1960) wins were AWAY games.

I can't use those.

Saulbadguy
02-01-2005, 09:30 PM
Another recent history item...MU came to Lawrence undefeated, heavily favored, ranked...and:
http://buttcheese.topcities.com/2003borderwar.jpeg

Pants
02-01-2005, 09:55 PM
I'm in that picture somewhere.

AeroSquid
02-01-2005, 10:00 PM
http://www.kusports.com/multimedia/audio/hill/8.mp3

Audio clip from an interview with KU Public-Address Announcer Howard Hill.

duncan_idaho
02-01-2005, 10:18 PM
thanks for the help so far!

Skip Towne
02-01-2005, 10:33 PM
That was 1975.
Yes, it was in 1975. It was the Rollin' Nolan crew. But I think it was at Owen field in Norman. I remember where I was that day.

SnapDogg
02-01-2005, 10:35 PM
I might be wrong (my bad if I am), I think the Orange Bowl game was in 1968 - might have been 68 season, Jan 1, 69(?) vs. Penn State, Bobby Douglas, John & Jr. Riggins...............
friggin 12 men on the field, stopped em, got penalized, then they scored to win game! :cuss:
I was in the 7th grade, I remember being plenty upset & pissed off that they lost!

Skip Towne
02-01-2005, 10:38 PM
Of course, I'll be including the 1960 forfeit loss to Missouri... MU was No. 1 coming into the game, lost, then won by forfeit because KU used an ineligible player. It cost the Tigers, who went on to win the Orange Bowl, the National Title

If keeping your arch-rival from winning what would be their only major national title isn't a top 5 moment, I don't know what is
Was that ineligible player named Bert Coan?

SnapDogg
02-01-2005, 10:39 PM
Cromwell was the shitz! I believe the Hawkz were beating down OU the following year when he got hurt, Hawkz then proceded to lose!
IMO Cromwell was the best option QB in that time period!

Skip Towne
02-01-2005, 10:43 PM
I might be wrong (my bad if I am), I think the Orange Bowl game was in 1968 - might have been 68 season, Jan 1, 69(?) vs. Penn State, Bobby Douglas, John & Jr. Riggins...............
friggin 12 men on the field, stopped em, got penalized, then they scored to win game! :cuss:
I was in the 7th grade, I remember being plenty upset & pissed off that they lost!
Yep, that's the game. The 12 men on the field was on an extra point try where they went for 2 and failed. Got a do over and got it. But that was in the Orange Bowl in Miami and Duncan wants Memorial Stadium type events. I was in Korea and didn't get to see the game.

Skip Towne
02-01-2005, 10:47 PM
Cromwell was the shitz! I believe the Hawkz were beating down OU the following year when he got hurt, Hawkz then proceded to lose!
IMO Cromwell was the best option QB in that time period!
Yeah, and he was white too. An amazing athlete. He played 8 man football at tiny Ransom, Kansas. The locals called him the Ransom Rambler. We called him Rollin' Nolan.

Skip Towne
02-01-2005, 10:53 PM
I also like the story about John Riggins and all his troubles. Him and his brother Junior tore up the student union just for fun. Coach Pepper Rogers and AD Don Fambrough were dicussing what disciplinary action to take. Rogers: I won't let him play this week. Fambrough: But, coach, we're playing Missouri this week. Rogers: OK, I won't let him play next week.

|Zach|
02-01-2005, 10:55 PM
I also like the story about John Riggins and all his troubles. Him and his brother Junior tore up the student union just for fun. Coach Pepper Rogers and AD Don Fambrough were dicussing what disciplinary action to take. Rogers: I won't let him play this week. Fambrough: But, coach, we're playing Missouri this week. Rogers: OK, I won't let him play next week.
ROFL

WilliamTheIrish
02-01-2005, 10:56 PM
Yep, that's the game. The 12 men on the field was on an extra point try where they went for 2 and failed. Got a do over and got it. But that was in the Orange Bowl in Miami and Duncan wants Memorial Stadium type events. I was in Korea and didn't get to see the game.

Pepper Rogers claimed they (KU) did it on purpose. Said they did it once or twice during the regular season.

I say it's BS. But the legend lives on...

Skip Towne
02-01-2005, 11:03 PM
Pepper Rogers claimed they (KU) did it on purpose. Said they did it once or twice during the regular season.

I say it's BS. But the legend lives on...
I've never heard that but it makes a good story. Could have been true. I had a buddy who calmly picked up his table lamp and threw it through his TV after that successful second attempt for the 2 points.

WilliamTheIrish
02-01-2005, 11:11 PM
I've never heard that but it makes a good story. Could have been true. I had a buddy who calmly picked up his table lamp and threw it through his TV after that successful second attempt for the 2 points.

My Dad actually kicked a 20 year old cousin named Bill out of our house that night. Ran him right out into the street. There had been a wee bit o' drinking going on that day in the house.

I'll never forget the line: "How in THE Hell can a boy from Kansas cheer against a team from Kansas?"

Pop was a big Hawk fan. Died way too young.

Mr. Kotter
02-01-2005, 11:11 PM
That was 1975.

It may have been; but it ALSO happened in the early 80's then...I was there; I helped carry the goal posts to Potter. :thumb:

Mr. Kotter
02-01-2005, 11:13 PM
dammit... both the OU (1975) and MU (1960) wins were AWAY games.

I can't use those.

They beat OU in the early 80s AT Lawrence....

Skip Towne
02-01-2005, 11:18 PM
It may have been; but it ALSO happened in the early 80's then...I was there; I helped carry the goal posts to Potter. :thumb:
You need to give us some proof of that. I don't remember anything near us upsetting an undefeated team in the early '80's.

Mr. Kotter
02-01-2005, 11:20 PM
You need to give us some proof of that. I don't remember anything near us upsetting an undefeated team in the early '80's.

Fine....undefeated coming in, I assure you; after that, maybe I'm confusing them with the 1975 team.....hold on, dang it.

Mr. Kotter
02-01-2005, 11:26 PM

http://www.kusports.com/football/history/win_loss1981_2002.html

1984: KU 28, OU 11.....in Lawrence. I was there. I was thinking of the 1975 game; OU finished 9-2-1 that season...it was still a helluva a lot of fun...beating a ranked team in Lawrence. :thumb:

http://www.soonerstats.com/fb/seasons/schedule.cfm?SeasonID=1984

duncan_idaho
02-02-2005, 08:51 AM
just a bump... thanks for the help so far.

Saulbadguy
02-02-2005, 09:05 AM
http://www.kusports.com/football/history/win_loss1981_2002.html

1984: KU 28, OU 11.....in Lawrence. I was there. I was thinking of the 1975 game; OU finished 9-2-1 that season...it was still a helluva a lot of fun...beating a ranked team in Lawrence. :thumb:

http://www.soonerstats.com/fb/seasons/schedule.cfm?SeasonID=1984
Haha..I was 3 years old at that time.

Mr. Kotter
02-02-2005, 09:22 AM
Haha..I was 3 years old at that time.

Yeah, yeah...better watch out, my buddy juhooosfry will take care of you.... :harumph:

:p

FTR, it was their only loss until the bowl game that year....

Lzen
02-02-2005, 10:31 AM
Well, since I didn't really start watching football until around 1990, I wouldn't know much about KU's history before that. I remember Glen Mason's 1995 squad was pretty darn good. Won the Aloha Bowl big over UCLA after Mason announced he was taking the Georgia job and then ended up staying at KU for another year.

The 2003 victory over Missouri was pretty great. As was the 2004 win over KSU.

HC_Chief
02-02-2005, 10:36 AM
1984: KU 28, OU 11.....in Lawrence. I was there.

Same here. The score doesn't indicate what an absolute ass-whipping KU laid on the Aikman-led Sooners that day. The PA announcer had to warn the crowd to stay off the field (away from the goalposts) with threats of penalties to the Jayhawks. This, with nearly six minutes left in the fourth quarter :D

Mr. Kotter
02-02-2005, 10:38 AM
Same here. The score doesn't indicate what an absolute ass-whipping KU laid on the Aikman-led Sooners that day. The PA announcer had to warn the crowd to stay off the field (away from the goalposts) with threats of penalties to the Jayhawks. This, with nearly six minutes left in the fourth quarter :D

That was the personal pinnacle in an otherwise sad life of a Jayhawk football fan....I was 11 during the 1975 game, so not quite able to fully appreciate it.

Skip Towne
02-02-2005, 10:44 AM
Well, since I didn't really start watching football until around 1990, I wouldn't know much about KU's history before that. I remember Glen Mason's 1995 squad was pretty darn good. Won the Aloha Bowl big over UCLA after Mason announced he was taking the Georgia job and then ended up staying at KU for another year.

The 2003 victory over Missouri was pretty great. As was the 2004 win over KSU.
Yeah, Gilbert Brown and Dana Stubblefield were on the '95 team. Tony Sands too I think.

HC_Chief
02-02-2005, 10:48 AM
Yeah, Gilbert Brown and Dana Stubblefield were on the '95 team. Tony Sands too I think.

One play away from knocking off the #1 NU Cornhuskers @ Memorial. Mason decided to go for 2, rather than tie. I loved the call, even though we didn't make it - it was the right call IMO. "No guts, no glory" :D

Lzen
02-02-2005, 11:13 AM

No, I tink Stubblefield graduated before then. He was on the 92 Aloha bowl team, though. And Sands was there earlier than that, if my memory is correct.

Lzen
02-02-2005, 11:14 AM
One play away from knocking off the #1 NU Cornhuskers @ Memorial. Mason decided to go for 2, rather than tie. I loved the call, even though we didn't make it - it was the right call IMO. "No guts, no glory" :D

I remember that. Great game and we should've pulled it out. Aw well, it was a great call. We'll get 'em this season. :)

Saulbadguy
02-02-2005, 12:58 PM
Does anyone remember the 1994 game vs KSU? :fire: