PDA

View Full Version : Emmit Smith to retire

Bowser
02-02-2005, 08:57 AM
I'm no Cowboys fan, but he should never have played anywhere else.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1981383

Dr. Johnny Fever
02-02-2005, 09:01 AM
I always remember him as a Cardinal.

Bowser
02-02-2005, 09:02 AM

Tony Dorsett doesn't find any humor in that statement.

Kris Kringle
02-02-2005, 09:04 AM
It's about time.

Baby Lee
02-02-2005, 09:08 AM
I heard him just yesterday say he had no intention of retiring.
Something to the effect of;
"did you see me this last year? did that look like a guy about to retire?"

EDIT: I see that quote was included in the story.

siberian khatru
02-02-2005, 09:12 AM
Tony Dorsett doesn't find any humor in that statement.

Dorsett? The ex-Bronco back?

Hoover
02-02-2005, 09:13 AM
Great Running back, but its been like 5 years since he was any good.

RNR
02-02-2005, 09:16 AM
I will always remember him as the guy who made me wonder "what if Barry Sanders played with that team" That said a great player who should have stepped down when he left Dallas.

Phobia
02-02-2005, 09:18 AM
Dibs on posting the Emmit Smith retiring thread tomorrow.

jspchief
I always hated the 90s Cowboys, but it's hard to dislike Emmit. He's always been a pretty classy guy.

I'm not sure where I rank him among the greats. I do think he was pretty good, but there's no denying the line he ran behind was awesome. Emmit's highlight reels make it evident, because he was rarely hit at the line of scrimmage. I still consider him a very good RB though.

Eleazar
Yep... good running back who ran behind great lines. A HOF player but not in the class he's considered to be in...

RNR
02-02-2005, 09:40 AM
I always hated the 90s Cowboys, but it's hard to dislike Emmit. He's always been a pretty classy guy.

I'm not sure where I rank him among the greats. I do think he was pretty good, but there's no denying the line he ran behind was awesome. Emmit's highlight reels make it evident, because he was rarely hit at the line of scrimmage. I still consider him a very good RB though.
Somebody ran a study (I can not recall who) on first contact. Smiths average first contact was like 2.3 past the line of scrimmage. Sanders average was like 1.8 behind the line of scrimmage. It was 94 or 95 and I was shocked to see Smith had a four yard spot that season. I went back and looked up the stats for both seasons.

Sanders
1994- 1883 yards- 5.7 average
1995- 1500yards- 4.8 average
Smith
1994- 1484 yards- 4.0 average
1995- 1773 yards- 4.7 average
I will always wonder "what if" when thinking of those two backs.

Eleazar
02-02-2005, 09:42 AM
I will always wonder "what if" when thinking of those two backs.

I'm not too old, but Sanders was the best that I ever saw.

milkman
02-02-2005, 09:49 AM
I still think that Walter Payton was the greatest ever.
He ran behind some horrible lines, but unlike Sanders, rarely ever got tackled for a loss.

And unlike most other backs, he rarely ever ran OOBs to avoid a hit.

Sanders, along with Sayers, might be the most exciting to watch, that I've ever seen.

But for my money, give me Sweetness.

Hoover
02-02-2005, 09:52 AM
Saunder was the Best, plus he could have played many more years. I wish he would have, he was a joy to watch

DeepSouth
02-02-2005, 10:02 AM
I was never much of a Barry Sanders fan. Could be because he played on such lousy teams. The only knock I heard about Sanders while he was playing is that he ran more east and west than north and south. That was why he could never get into the endzone. I once saw stats of where he ranked as far as total TDs throughout his career and he did not have many TDs considering the number of yards he racked up. Also, I remember one of their head coachs would pull him out when they got close to the goal line because of that.

Any one have a link for total TDs for a RBs career?

cdcox
02-02-2005, 10:15 AM
I was never much of a Barry Sanders fan. Could be because he played on such lousy teams. The only knock I heard about Sanders while he was playing is that he ran more east and west than north and south. That was why he could never get into the endzone. I once saw stats of where he ranked as far as total TDs throughout his career and he did not have many TDs considering the number of yards he racked up. Also, I remember one of their head coachs would pull him out when they got close to the goal line because of that.

Any one have a link for total TDs for a RBs career?

Sanders had 99 rushing touchdowns. Payton 110. Smith 164. Allen 125. If you and going to bash Sanders, you should probably bash Payton too. Sanders probably had more long TD, while Payton more short yardage ones.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/rbindex.htm

Knob
02-02-2005, 10:17 AM
Wasn't there some talk of him coming to KC at one point. Too bad he didn't. He could have ran behind another great line.

Skip Towne
02-02-2005, 10:33 AM
I always considered Smith average at best. He had no moves and was slow. He got caught from behind by LB's a lot. When they put in the 2nd stringer he'd put up the same numbers as Smith.

Knob
02-02-2005, 10:37 AM
I always considered Smith average at best. He had no moves and was slow. He got caught from behind by LB's a lot. When they put in the 2nd stringer he'd put up the same numbers as Smith.

Average doesn't last that long in the NFL without a serious injury as a running back. Smith was not average. Better than average you gotta give him that.

jspchief
02-02-2005, 10:45 AM

Smith had good vision and ran hard. I think "average" is selling him short. Buy I also think his stats get him mentioned with names that his ability doesn't measure up to.

I consider him one of the great RBs of the 90s, but he'd probably be a ways down my list of greatest ever.

DeepSouth
02-02-2005, 11:12 AM
Sanders had 99 rushing touchdowns. Payton 110. Smith 164. Allen 125. If you and going to bash Sanders, you should probably bash Payton too. Sanders probably had more long TD, while Payton more short yardage ones.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/rbindex.htm
I stand corrected. Based on your link. Based on the number of games played for the four players mentioned, Sanders TD per game was above average.

I really wasn't bashing Sanders. Just giving my two cents.

Demonpenz
02-02-2005, 12:33 PM
Smith was a warrior plain and simple. If i was to fall down right now, i would probably get hurt. The guy has been getting tackled thousands of times every year in the pro's, College, High school, maybe pee wee. Anyone who has carried the rock knows how it hurts when a player puts a helmet right on your arm your carrying the ball. This guy has done in year after year. The guy did the most of what god gave him. He wasn't great this last year, but atleast he did have a 100 yard rushing game

chiefs4me
02-02-2005, 12:36 PM
Emmitt hasn't decided if he will retire or not. If he does it will be announced tomorrow. He will also become an unrestricted free agent in March which allows the boys to sign him so he can retire as a cowboy. I do not like the boys,,but living in Tx for 11 years and seeing what he has done for the city od Dallas and kids,,I do have respect for him.

alpha_omega
02-02-2005, 12:40 PM
...but he should never have played anywhere else.

Unless, he wanted to continue to get paid

chiefs4me
02-02-2005, 12:45 PM
Unless, he wanted to continue to get paid

ROFL Sounds like a pretty good reason to me,,

Sure-Oz
02-02-2005, 01:04 PM
This is agood thing for the cards, he had a great career tjhough.

Straight, No Chaser
02-02-2005, 01:28 PM
I'm no Cowboys fan, but he should never have played anywhere else.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1981383

Easy for you to say but the guy had an incredible knack for staying healthy and productive. OJ played for the 49'ers; Franco Harris for the Seahwaks, Johnny U for the Chargers, etc, etc. It's hard to blame these guys; they obviously had something that drove them to compete beyond the average athelete. Curtis Martin is a helluva running back. He'll need three more full seasons like the one he had this year to pass Emmit (1,700 yds).

As far as playing for the Cards, I'm guessing Emmit thought he could help this team on and off the field. The Cowboys were successful becuase those players bought into the "team as family" philosophy. The Cardinals have never had that (and probably never will). Blame him for thinking he could make a difference but don't blame him for playing.

--->

Hammock Parties
02-02-2005, 01:31 PM
I am Emmitt Smith.