PDA

View Full Version : Latest Mock has Rolle & Blackstock falling to Chiefs

Mr. Kotter
02-02-2005, 10:01 AM
I could live with that... :D

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sub/mockdraft.html

15. Kansas City Chiefs: Antrel Rolle, CB, Miami (FL)

Despite having one of the worst defenses in the NFL in 2003 the Chiefs made virtually no changes in personnel on that side of the ball, instead only brining in a new defensive coordinator in Gunther Cunningham. Big mistake. You can have the best jockey in the world but if you're riding a donkey you aren't going to win the Kentucky Derby. Simply put, Kansas City just doesn't have the horses on defense. Their top need on that side of the ball is probably at cornerback so to be able to land one of the top two players at that position with the 15th overall pick would be quite a coup. A big, athletic and physical cornerback, Rolle isn't quite in the same class as guys like Bailey, Charles Woodson or Deion Sanders as prospects but he should be a very good corner in the pros and I think he could have a career similar to that of Chris McAlister, which isn't bad. Either way the team absolutely must go defense with this pick, whether it be a lineman such as Erasmus James or Travis Johnson, a linebacker like Derrick Johnson or Channing Crowder or defensive back and the theme of their entire offseason should be "Defense, Defense and more Defense" because they will not reach the Super Bowl until they make vast improvements on that side of the ball.

46. Kansas City Chiefs: Darryl Blackstock, OLB, Virginia

An athletic, dynamic playmaker at linebacker for a team and defense in desperate need of it.

Antrel Rolle

Official Bio College: Miami (FL) Height: 6-1
Position: Cornerback Weight: 202
Class: Senior 40-Yard: 4.45
SCOUTING REPORT
Strengths: Impact player in the secondary and a playmaker...Great size...Good speed and quickness...Excellent athletic ability...Does a nice job when asked to blitz...Very strong, physical and aggressive...Will come up and be a factor in run support...Very instinctive.
Weaknesses: Can shore up his technique a little...Can be too aggressive at times...Had an off the field situation with the law and was suspended from the team before his senior season but chargers were never filed...Some teams may project him as a safety rather than a corner.
Notes: Really made a name for himself by shutting down top wideouts such as Larry Fitzgerald and Anquan Boldin...Not in the same class as Charles Woodson or Champ Bailey were coming out by right there in the next tier with guys like Chris McAlister and Terence Newman...A potential shutdown cornerback in the NFL and one of the rare players who can dominate a game from the corner position...Should be one of the premier players available and a top pick.

Darryl Blackstock

Official Bio College: Virginia Height: 6-4
Position: Outside Linebacker Weight: 240
Class: Junior 40-Yard: 4.7
SCOUTING REPORT
Strengths: Has good size...Tall and rangy frame...Does an excellent job at getting after the quarterback and is a great pass rusher...Good quickness and has a burst...Excellent athletic ability...Very productive.
Weaknesses: A liability versus the run...Not a natural in coverage...Lacks fluid hips...Doesn't change direction well...Plays in a 3-4 defense that is perfectly tailored to his skills and may need to be in a similar scheme in the pros.
Notes: Overshadowed by Ahmad Brooks and Kai Parham at times...Would be a perfect fit at outside linebacker in a 3-4 scheme...A little overrated due to his pass rush numbers and is basically still a raw, one-trick pony at this point.

Hoover
02-02-2005, 10:02 AM
That would be fine by me

Dr. Johnny Fever
02-02-2005, 10:07 AM
I would sleep well night after the draft if we coulde get those two.

nmt1
02-02-2005, 10:07 AM
I love Blackstock because he played and played well for my favorite college team but I think we need a more well rounded LB.

Mr. Kotter
02-02-2005, 10:09 AM
I would sleep well night after the draft if we coulde get those two.

Honestly though, this particular mock though seems to be projecting teams picks heavily based on "need," rather than "best available" athlete...and while some teams draft that way, others don't....especially in the early rounds. :hmmm:

Mr. Kotter
02-02-2005, 10:11 AM
I love Blackstock because he played and played well for my favorite college team but I think we need a more well rounded LB.

FA, baby. Bell/Hartwell and Blackstock would be nice pickups....
:hmmm:

KCTitus
02-02-2005, 10:12 AM
Blackstock started out with a bang at UVA, but waned his last 2 years. I'd like to hope that he's an all pro. Kind of like Aaron Brooks looked really bad at times in college, but has been decent at NO.

jspchief
02-02-2005, 10:17 AM
Blackstock doesn't sound like he'd be a good match for us at all.

1. Pass rush LB..we need someone solid against either the run or pass, if not both.

2.Better suited for 3-4, which we don't run

3. Doesn't change direction well and is overly aggressive in pursuit...we have that guy, his name is Kawika.

I really don't see anything appealing about Blackstock.

Mr. Kotter
02-02-2005, 10:19 AM
Blackstock doesn't sound like he'd be a good match for us at all.

1. Pass rush LB..we need someone solid against either the run or pass, if not both.

2.Better suited for 3-4, which we don't run

3. Doesn't change direction well and is overly aggressive in pursuit...we have that guy, his name is Kawika.

I really don't see anything appealing about Blackstock.

I see him in a DT-"Falcon" kinda role....I'd await his Wonderlic score; the athletic ability is there, but I wonder about the cerebral part of the position....

Gaz
02-02-2005, 10:22 AM
I could live with that.

xoxo~
Gaz
Not counting on it, though.

jspchief
02-02-2005, 10:24 AM
I never cared for the "falcon". DT's production seemed to actually drop off in that role.

Besides, Dt was able to do what he did in part because we had corners that could be left on an island and LBs and safeties that flew to the ball and tackled well. I don't feel like we can afford to put one dimensional LBs on a team that plays so poorly in so many areas.

Chiefnj
02-02-2005, 10:24 AM
I think when all is said and done everyone's mock draft is going to look like they did back in December and that is with Johnson, Rolle and Jones all off of the board by the 15th pick.

Hoover
02-02-2005, 10:25 AM
I think he sounds like a playmaker to me

Chiefnj
02-02-2005, 10:26 AM
The Falcon defense was designed because of Derrick Thomas' special abilities as a rush LB. Drafting a player, especially a 2nd rounder, with the hopes you can design a defense around him is somewhat unrealistic.

siberian khatru
02-02-2005, 10:28 AM
Blackstock = Gary Stills??????

Chiefnj
02-02-2005, 10:29 AM
IMHO, Viriginia's linebackers (which includes Ahmad Brooks) are overrated. If you look at their production against good teams, including their bowl game, they weren't very good against the run.

Mr. Kotter
02-02-2005, 10:29 AM
Blackstock = Gary Stills??????

Damn, you; it's the off-season.....we are suppose to be OPTIMISTIC.... :(

Bowser
02-02-2005, 10:30 AM
IMHO, Viriginia's linebackers (which includes Ahmad Brooks) are overrated. If you look at their production against good teams, including their bowl game, they weren't very good against the run.

Is that the fault of the linebackers, or the defensive line not getting their jobs done?

Bowser
02-02-2005, 10:30 AM

Years of the same old, same old takes it toll.

Mr. Kotter
02-02-2005, 10:31 AM
The Falcon defense was designed because of Derrick Thomas' special abilities as a rush LB. Drafting a player, especially a 2nd rounder, with the hopes you can design a defense around him is somewhat unrealistic.

I hear what you are saying; to me, it sounds like the kid is still developing....and at a minimum would be a 3rd down, pass-rusher that we haven't had in a long while.

Stills/Trulock on steroids??? :hmmm:

milkman
02-02-2005, 10:33 AM

If Blackstock does=Gary Stills, then I'm optimistic about the chances of Dumbass drafting him.

crossbow
02-02-2005, 10:37 AM
I thought the last two drafts were critical for the defense. They blew it in early rounds and we are suffering for it now. I am very nervious about this one too. I realy hope they play it straight and don't try to get clever.

Rolle would be a great pick but I doubt he falls that far.

Chiefnj
02-02-2005, 10:38 AM
Is that the fault of the linebackers, or the defensive line not getting their jobs done?

They play a 3-4, so I would personally lay it on them. Then again, I'm not a coach.

HC_Chief
02-02-2005, 10:38 AM
CB in the first, LB in the second... sounds like a plan to me. :thumb:

Mr. Kotter
02-02-2005, 10:44 AM
Another site has us taking Crowder, and Browner in rounds one and two. Personally, I LIKE that even better.....Crowder is a stud; and Browner COULD be the best "Pro" CB out of the draft....both seem to have a great deal of "upside."

:thumb:

http://www.draftace.com/index.htm

Channing Crowder

Official Bio College: Florida Height: 6-3
Position: Inside Linebacker Weight: 245
Class: Junior 40-Yard: 4.6
SCOUTING REPORT
Strengths: Has been extremely productive since day one of his true freshman year...Great athlete...Very good size and speed...Tough and physical...Aggressive...Active and makes plays all over the field...Has excellent instincts...Solid tackler...Has not yet reached his full potential.
Weaknesses: Durability might be a concern because he has had a couple of knee injuries and then suffered torn ligaments in his right foot as a sophomore...Has only played major college football for two seasons so lack of experience may be a concern...Needs to get stronger...May have some character concerns.
Notes: Only a true sophomore eligibility-wise but was able to enter the 2005 NFL Draft because he has been out of high school for three years after delaying enrollment to rehab a knee injury...Crowder supposedly considered entering the '04 Draft after Maurice Clarett initially won his court case so the NFL was on his mind...Was real close to Ron Zook, who he considers a father figure, so his firing may have been a factor in pushing Crowder to go pro.

Brandon Browner

Official Bio College: Oregon St. Height: 6-4
Position: Cornerback Weight: 202
Class: Junior 40-Yard: 4.4
SCOUTING REPORT
Strengths: Has excellent size...Very good speed with great athleticism...Has been very productive and has a nose for the ball...A playmaker in the secondary...Very physical...Does a nice job in man coverage situations...Still has a ton of upside.
Weaknesses: Doesn't have a lot of experience and has only played two years of college football...May be a bit of a CB / S 'tweener...Will need to run well in workouts...Raw and still needs a lot of work in terms of his technique.
Notes: Has been one of the premier corners in the Pac-10 during his two seasons with the Beavers...Potentially a special player if he continues to develop...Has the type of rare size, speed and athleticism professional teams covet.

Bowser
02-02-2005, 10:45 AM
They play a 3-4, so I would personally lay it on them. Then again, I'm not a coach.

True. I didn't take that into account.

Mr. Kotter
02-02-2005, 10:54 AM
I've looked at a couple of other sites....Crowder and Browner would be good; very good. :hmmm:

Browner will likely be gone though.... :banghead:

jspchief
02-02-2005, 10:54 AM
Another site has us taking Crowder, and Browner in rounds one and two. Personally, I LIKE that even better.....Crowder is a stud; and Browner COULD be the best "Pro" CB out of the draft....both seem to have a great deal of "upside."

I like this one much better. I'd like to have Rolle, but don't want Blackstock. Crowder and Browner both seem to fit our needs more closely.

Mr. Kotter
02-02-2005, 10:58 AM
I like this one much better. I'd like to have Rolle, but don't want Blackstock. Crowder and Browner both seem to fit our needs more closely.

Wow....I'm readin' more stuff; both are young and raw...but incredibly talented: athletic, speedy, and with good instincts. When's the last time anyone used those words together to describe anyone on our defense?!

I also prefer takin' a LB in the first, and going CB as the priority FA. :thumb:

Chiefnj
02-02-2005, 11:03 AM
Wow....I'm readin' more stuff; both are young and raw...but incredibly talented: athletic, speedy, and with good instincts. When's the last time anyone used those words together to describe anyone on our defense?!
:

Those words were used to describe Julian Battle and Keyaron Fox. Sims too, with "speedy" being relative to a DT.

Mr. Kotter
02-02-2005, 11:05 AM
Those words were used to describe Julian Battle and Keyaron Fox. Sims too, with "speedy" being relative to a DT.

I don't recall the "good instincts" implying those guys were 'natural' players/cerebral players; but that could be selective memory... :(

HolmeZz
02-02-2005, 11:20 AM
I'm not in love with Blackstock, but I'd certainly be very pleased with the overall first 2 rounds.

EDIT: Wow, DJ AND Rolle both available at 15? I draft Rolle, then trade my 2nd rounder this year, plus our first and second rounders next year for the Saints #16, and draft DJ. ;)

EDIT2: Ahh, they got us drafting Blackstock with Burnett still on the board. Don't agree with that.

Chiefnj
02-02-2005, 11:23 AM
I don't recall the "good instincts" implying those guys were 'natural' players/cerebral players; but that could be selective memory... :(

Here are two scouting reports I found:

Keyaron Fox
Positives: Rangy type with lean muscles and a frame that has the potential to add at least another ten pounds of mass ... Has the speed needed to hunt down the ball carriers on the edge ... Uses his long arms effectively to take on and shed blocks ... Does a nice job with his hands to lock on, hold and redirect the tight ends operating in the short area passing game ... Keeps blocks away from his feet with his good hand usage ... Has great speed to cut off and make the plays ... Takes proper angles and shows awareness to avoid blocks on the move ... Uses his long arms effective to wrap and secure as a tackler ... Has the speed to run with the tight ends and running backs on deep routes ... Does a nice job of anticipating the receiver's moves working in the zone, showing the burst needed to recover when beaten ... Has the acceleration to close coming off the edge as a blitzer, chasing hard when coming from the back side ... Example-type leader with a passion for the game ... Will make the extra effort in the weight room and practices to improve ... Has that nasty temperament you like in a cover-two linebacker.

Julian Battle
Positives: Tall, with long arms and good instincts...Smooth in his backpedal, planting and driving efficiently...Can quickly locate the ball...Has excellent wide range zone coverage ability, showing the fluid movement needed to cover in the deep level...Has no problems mirroring the tight ends in the short area, using his hands effectively to press...Can turn and trail receivers down the sidelines with his acceleration...Does not waste any steps in his transition out of his backpedal and on breaks...Natural athlete who will challenge receivers going for the ball at its highest point...Reads, recognizes and reacts to the play instantly, showing a good feel for turning and locating the ball...Gets into the action at the line, showing willingness to support vs. the run...Former receiver with natural hands for the interception...Will face up, wrap and tackle with power...Agile and quick in his change of direction.

htismaqe
02-02-2005, 11:41 AM
Honestly though, this particular mock though seems to be projecting teams picks heavily based on "need," rather than "best available" athlete...and while some teams draft that way, others don't....especially in the early rounds. :hmmm:

NFL Draft Countdown nailed like the first 21 picks of last year's draft (up until the first couple of trades).

Their list will change after the combine, but check them out about a week before the draft and you'll find that their "final" mock is pretty accurate...

htismaqe
02-02-2005, 11:41 AM
And I wouldn't take Rolle with Johnson still on the board.

Mr. Kotter
02-02-2005, 11:45 AM
Here are two scouting reports I found:

Keyaron Fox
Positives: Rangy type with lean muscles and a frame that has the potential to add at least another ten pounds of mass ... Has the speed needed to hunt down the ball carriers on the edge ... Uses his long arms effectively to take on and shed blocks ... Does a nice job with his hands to lock on, hold and redirect the tight ends operating in the short area passing game ... Keeps blocks away from his feet with his good hand usage ... Has great speed to cut off and make the plays ... Takes proper angles and shows awareness to avoid blocks on the move ... Uses his long arms effective to wrap and secure as a tackler ... Has the speed to run with the tight ends and running backs on deep routes ... Does a nice job of anticipating the receiver's moves working in the zone, showing the burst needed to recover when beaten ... Has the acceleration to close coming off the edge as a blitzer, chasing hard when coming from the back side ... Example-type leader with a passion for the game ... Will make the extra effort in the weight room and practices to improve ... Has that nasty temperament you like in a cover-two linebacker.

Julian Battle
Positives: Tall, with long arms and good instincts...Smooth in his backpedal, planting and driving efficiently...Can quickly locate the ball...Has excellent wide range zone coverage ability, showing the fluid movement needed to cover in the deep level...Has no problems mirroring the tight ends in the short area, using his hands effectively to press...Can turn and trail receivers down the sidelines with his acceleration...Does not waste any steps in his transition out of his backpedal and on breaks...Natural athlete who will challenge receivers going for the ball at its highest point...Reads, recognizes and reacts to the play instantly, showing a good feel for turning and locating the ball...Gets into the action at the line, showing willingness to support vs. the run...Former receiver with natural hands for the interception...Will face up, wrap and tackle with power...Agile and quick in his change of direction.

Man, that's depressing; I still think Fox may make it...but Battle is another casuality in the GR's "too much thinking" destroying another instinctive athlete in my book....add him to the trash heap with Stills, Bartee, and....apparently, Wesley. :banghead:

Mr. Kotter
02-02-2005, 11:46 AM

I noticed that too; but Johnson WILL NOT be there for us at 15....so I just blew it off.

Mr. Kotter
02-02-2005, 11:47 AM
NFL Draft Countdown nailed like the first 21 picks of last year's draft (up until the first couple of trades).

Their list will change after the combine, but check them out about a week before the draft and you'll find that their "final" mock is pretty accurate...

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind... :hmmm:

HC_Chief
02-02-2005, 11:47 AM
Man, that's depressing; I still think Fox may make it...but Battle is another casuality in the GR's "too much thinking" destroying another instinctive athlete in my book....add him to the trash heap with Stills, Bartee, and....apparently, Wesley. :banghead:

Uhh, no. Battle was a headcase in college - never really fit into either db position, S or CB. He was constantly shifted, was deemed 'uncoachable', had attitude problems, and was generally a head case. He's your prototypical "Million-dollar athleticism with a 2-cent brain". (that pretty much sums up our entire secondary)

HolmeZz
02-02-2005, 11:49 AM

It all really depends on what we do in Free Agency; but just based on the draft, a combo of Rolle & Burnett is better than DJ & a 2nd round CB, IMO.

Chiefnj
02-02-2005, 11:56 AM

I too would be inclined to take Johnson. I think a LB would likely have a greater impact from the get go and I have no faith in our secondary coaches.

Mr. Kotter
02-02-2005, 11:56 AM
Uhh, no. Battle was a headcase in college - never really fit into either db position, S or CB. He was constantly shifted, was deemed 'uncoachable', had attitude problems, and was generally a head case. He's your prototypical "Million-dollar athleticism with a 2-cent brain". (that pretty much sums up our entire secondary)

I think he may have been able to become a serviceable player on athleticism alone (see Warfield); but you are right....he didn't have much cerebral ability to begin with, and GR's scheme fried any chance he had....IMO.

Mr. Kotter
02-02-2005, 01:08 PM
Burnett in the second round....if he's there sounds good to me too. Sounds like a Donnie Edwards type player....:hmmm:

Kevin Burnett

Strengths: Excellent athletic ability...Good size...Very good speed...Great instincts...Makes plays sideline-to-sideline...Excels in coverage...Can get after the quarterback...Good in pursuit...Explosive tackler...Team leader and captain.
Weaknesses: Might not be all the way back from a major knee injury...Doesn't always play up to his physical ability...Could stand to add some weight and get stronger.
Notes: Began his career as a safety...Has all the tools you look for and could be in impact performer at the pro level but has to show he is all the way back from the knee injury.

HC_Chief
02-02-2005, 01:47 PM
Petro was talking to some reporter today in regards to Surtain - the guy said he thin ks Miami would take a #2 for him. If true, we should DEFINITELY do it!!! Take Johnson w/ our #1 :thumb:

Mr. Kotter
02-02-2005, 01:55 PM
Petro was talking to some reporter today in regards to Surtain - the guy said he thin ks Miami would take a #2 for him. If true, we should DEFINITELY do it!!! Take Johnson w/ our #1 :thumb:
That would "surtainly" work.... :p

Chiefnj
02-02-2005, 02:04 PM
It seems to me like there is an inordinate number of highly regarded players in this years draft who have had some serious injuries.