PDA

View Full Version : EXCELLENT Article on ESPN...

Raiderhater
09-13-2000, 04:48 PM
Here's the URL:

Click here for the Article (http://espn.go.com/nfl/s/000913garber.html)

Some noteable quotes:

Billick: "You have to have explosiveness. You know the old cliché, defense wins championships and offense sells tickets? I'm not so sure that's necessarily applicable.

Jerry Angelo (Bucs Personnel Director): "The one thing you have to be able to do in this league is score 24 points. You've got to be able to score from anywhere on the field. In yesteryear, you could grind out four drives of 60, 70 yards and win the game. That's not going to happen anymore."

Woodrow
09-13-2000, 05:04 PM
Titus:

Sad for some maybe (including me) but oh so true. It's kind of like baseball. The old days of playing great defense and smart baserunning and sacrificing has evolved into two walks and wait for the 3-run homer. Some like it the old ways, some like it the new way.

B^2

The Blessed Virgin Larry
09-13-2000, 05:40 PM
That's exactly why I thought Brian Billick would have been great in KC. Too bad Marty took to to long before he quit.

Anyway, I LOVE watching defensive football. However, with all the new rules that have been implimated to increase scoring, you really do NOT have a chance if you play the way the Chiefs do. Today, you must score to win. That's NOT to say you can't run the ball and win it all - because you still can. Just look at the Donx and their glory run. The difference is you MUST have the threat of the pass in order to successfully grind it out today. That's where the Chiefs miss the boat. Today, good offense BEATS good defense EVERY time!

redngold
09-13-2000, 05:43 PM
See if you can't find a way to send that directly to the 3 stooges.

htismaqe
09-13-2000, 06:13 PM
bob Dole is afraid Gunther and Martha will read this part:

"The reason Indianapolis blew the lead was because the Raiders never panicked and stopped running the ball. At the end of the game, the Raiders had 38 carries, compared to only 20 for the Colts. That's a shocking number. The truth is, if you can't stop the run you can be caught.<P>

redngold
09-13-2000, 06:24 PM
That would be damning to our cause, huh?

htismaqe
09-13-2000, 06:30 PM
It appears to Bob Dole that nobody on the staff can determine when the run is not working. (News Flash: It's not working.)

They continue to run the ball to prove their toughtness, even when they're gaining less than 2 yards per carry...

WarPaint
09-13-2000, 07:51 PM
Even the Bucs, who have the best defense that the NFL has seen since the 85 Bears, realized that you need to have a good passing threat to win the Championship. I give them credit for going out and signing Keyshawn - they realized their shortcoming and addressed the problem. Unlike last year when they would win games 12 to 6, they are now putting up 40 points a game.

I just can't fathom why KC hasn't (1) signed a premier HB to go along with their "we must establish the run" philosophy, and (2) realized that you need to put up points in this day and age, which means you need a quick strike offense. Morris has the size, speed and hands, why aren't we sending any long balls his way?