PDA

View Full Version : From way downtown:Player hits 90-foot overtime shot for the win

Ghostof
02-02-2005, 02:05 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/basketball/ncaa/02/01/bc.bko.90footshot.ap/index.html?cnn=yes

For this former quarterback, it took a Hail Mary thrown like a baseball to win the basketball game.

With 0.6 seconds left in overtime, Jordan Snipes of Guilford College rebounded the other team's missed free throw, wheeled around and heaved the ball the full length of the court.

Swish.

For Snipes, the improbable, 90-foot shot for the 91-89 victory over Randolph-Macon on Monday is a memory the former high school quarterback doesn't expect to top.

"I think that'll be my highlight," the sophomore said Tuesday afternoon after the game. "I thought if I went to sleep that it was just going to turn into a dream and when I woke up it'd be over."

Snipes was hoping to grab the rebound and lean quickly against a Yellow Jackets player hoping to draw a "cheap foul," he said. But then he heard the Randolph-Macon coaches tell their players to back away from the line.

"When they did that, I couldn't get near anybody in six-tenths of a second, so I just took the ball and threw it," he said. "I didn't know what else to do."

The shot capped a career-best 34-point night for Snipes, who made 6 of 7 3-point tries.

Tom Palumbo, coach of Greensboro, N.C.-based Guilford, said he was already walking toward Randolph-Macon coach Mike Rhoades to shake hands when the flight of the ball caught their attention.

"I remember thinking it looked like it had a chance and when it went through, it was just crazy," he said. "When the referee came and said it was good, I kind of jumped up and down when I was right next to [Rhoades]," he said. "I told him I was sorry.

"It was hard to control your emotions on a play like that."

Rhoades told Adam Krovic to miss the second free throw on purpose, following the conventional wisdom that six-tenths of a second is not enough time to make a play.

He realized there might be trouble after Snipes released the shot.

"When it got to halfcourt, I said, 'That's going to hit something,"' Rhoades said. "The guy just made an incredible play. That's life."

Have any of you ever made a last second shot to win a game in any sport?

Saulbadguy
02-02-2005, 02:12 PM
Heh, yeah. It was the #9, #7, #5, #3, and #1 play in the Top 10 on ESPN's sportscenter, yesterday.

Also, he proved he could do it again..although it took him awhile.

You can hear him say "thats in!"
http://www.wfmy.com/news/local_state/local_article.aspx?storyid=35718

Rain Man
02-02-2005, 02:16 PM
Nice shot.

Demonpenz
02-02-2005, 02:19 PM
put a hand in his face, geez

tk13
02-02-2005, 02:19 PM
That was an incredible shot. He could've tried that 1000 more times and never hit that shot once....

Saulbadguy
02-02-2005, 02:20 PM
That was an incredible shot. He could've tried that 1000 more times and never hit that shot once....
Wrong.
:)

Check post #2...

Saulbadguy
02-02-2005, 02:21 PM
"Our full court zone defense broke down.."

tk13
02-02-2005, 02:24 PM
Wrong.
:)

Check post #2...
Yeah, but it's a little different in that game situation having to go get a rebound, then turn and fling it in about half a second left....

Saulbadguy
02-02-2005, 02:28 PM
Yeah, but it's a little different in that game situation having to go get a rebound, then turn and fling it in about half a second left....
Yeah. They should really make shots like that worth more than 3 points, too... :)

Braincase
02-02-2005, 02:28 PM
Rumor has it that he was being covered by William Bartee and Dexter McLeon.

jynni
02-02-2005, 02:49 PM
Rumor has it that he was being covered by William Bartee and Dexter McLeon

ROFLROFLROFL

Rain Man
02-02-2005, 02:51 PM

I wonder if the other team was yelling at some poor player, saying, "That was your man! Why did you leave him open?"

beavis
02-02-2005, 03:13 PM
And he did it against a team that's not coached by Quin Snyder.

Dartgod
02-02-2005, 03:26 PM
Rumor has it that he was being covered by William Bartee and Dexter McLeon.
But they denied it happened because they never turned around to see it go in.

mcan
02-03-2005, 04:09 AM
I could watch that clip forever! That's a freaking incredible shot. I watched it probably ten times, and each time I held my breath when he let go of the ball... It's so unbelievable that I don't even expect it to go in on the replay.

Maybe that just shows that I'm not very smart...

teedubya
02-03-2005, 05:06 AM
I could watch that clip forever! That's a freaking incredible shot. I watched it probably ten times, and each time I held my breath when he let go of the ball... It's so unbelievable that I don't even expect it to go in on the replay.

Maybe that just shows that I'm not very smart...

That reminds me of a joke.

A fugtard is sitting at the bar watching hang-gliding on ESPN... A man sitting next to the fugtard says... I bet you 20$ that that dude crashes his hangglider. The fugtard says, "sure, Ill take you up on that bet."

Sure enough... the dude takes off with his hangglider and immediately plummets to the ground and dies. The Fugtard obediently gives the man at the bar the $20...

After a few minutes the man at the bar gives the fugtard the $20 bucks back, and says... "Man, I cant take your money... I was watching ESPN last night, and saw this event. I knew he was gonna crash."

To which the fugtard replies "yeah, I saw it last night too... but I didnt think he would crash it AGAIN!"

now, mcan... I aint calling you a fugtard or nothing... but you might want to try on the shoe to see if it fits.

Fairplay
02-03-2005, 05:27 AM

I keep watching over and over and the ball goes in everytime! I going to keep watching till he misses.

mcan
02-03-2005, 11:55 AM
now, mcan... I aint calling you a fugtard or nothing... but you might want to try on the shoe to see if it fits.

That's actually the effect I was going for... I also DRESS like a fugtard!

redfan
02-03-2005, 12:00 PM
I saw a highlight buzzer beater where this HS kid is going for a ball on its way out of bounds. The kid grabs it as his momentum is taking him out of bounds, whips the ball around his back to toss it into play, and ends up hitting from 3/4 court. He wasn't even looking at the hoop, plus he was kinda falling down. Amazing.

Bearcat
02-03-2005, 12:01 PM
Heh, yeah. It was the #9, #7, #5, #3, and #1 play in the Top 10 on ESPN's sportscenter, yesterday.

Also, he proved he could do it again..although it took him awhile.

You can hear him say "thats in!"
http://www.wfmy.com/news/local_state/local_article.aspx?storyid=35718

I missed the first part of the story.... was that the guy that was given 16 chances to do it again, and made it after 10 or so? I was wondering what that was all about.

teedubya
02-03-2005, 12:11 PM
I missed the first part of the story.... was that the guy that was given 16 chances to do it again, and made it after 10 or so? I was wondering what that was all about.

well...the guy was given 16 chances to do it again, and he made it after 10 tries.

Hope that clears it up. Fugtard.

Bearcat
02-03-2005, 12:12 PM
well...the guy was given 16 chances to do it again, and he made it after 10 tries.

Hope that clears it up. Fugtard.

ROFL

Okay, so maybe I shouldn't have been thinking outloud on that one.