PDA

View Full Version : MU Fans: Who Replaces Quin?

nychief
02-02-2005, 10:12 PM
Saying that Q is on the way out... who do you see being the next MU Head Basketball Coach?

Braincase
02-02-2005, 10:14 PM
John Goodman, Eminem & Ann Margret.

PunkinDrublic
02-02-2005, 10:21 PM
Samuel L. Jackson. Coach Carter could turn the Tigers around.

nychief
02-02-2005, 10:21 PM
Samuel L. Jackson. Coach Carter could turn the Tigers around.
ROFL

Mr. Kotter
02-02-2005, 10:35 PM
As a KU fan, I'm gonna start a grass roots movement....to keep Quin on until his death in 2058. :)

nychief
02-02-2005, 10:37 PM
As a KU fan, I'm gonna start a grass roots movement....to keep Quin on until his death in 2058. :)

I was surprised that the Kc Star came out saying Quin was as good as gone. If he goes I would wonder who will be on the short list... Please be someone with an offensive philo...

Mr. Kotter
02-02-2005, 10:42 PM
I was surprised that the Kc Star came out saying Quin was as good as gone. If he goes I would wonder who will be on the short list... Please be someone with an offensive philo...

Isn't Norm Stewart still alive... :hmmm:

nychief
02-02-2005, 10:45 PM
I wish MU had hired Self when we had the chance six years ago... between what he did at Illi. and now at KU... hell of a coach.

duncan_idaho
02-02-2005, 11:05 PM
The hot rumors here:

Mark Turgeon (a beaker! god. but he can coach... and he seems to be able to recruit)

Mark Few (highly unlikely, I think, but he'd do well)

either would be fine.... as long as we don't end up with Matt Doherty, Quin's coaching clone, we'll be fine.

If Quin does go, the guy that comes in has a good chance to reap some rewards... there's a lot of raw talent on this team.

One more thing... this is entirely a rumor, with no substantiation... but I've heard that Quin was busted by Univ. police with coke in his car, and cut a deal with the athletic department in which it isn't publicized, but Quin resigns at the end of the year. If it's true, it would be an easy way for the university to get rid of him without alienating any of his players.

Mr. Kotter
02-02-2005, 11:07 PM
I wish MU had hired Self when we had the chance six years ago... between what he did at Illi. and now at KU... hell of a coach.

I'm, obviously, glad he wasn't signed by MU; I like him too...

Turgeon would be ironic... ROFL

nychief
02-02-2005, 11:21 PM
Few is not a fit. He has been at Gonzaga since he was a graduate assistant - 15+ years...

duncan_idaho
02-02-2005, 11:25 PM
yeah, i don't see few going anywhere.

Turgeon would be good, though... and I bet Dana Altman would like another crack at the Big 12

nychief
02-02-2005, 11:27 PM
yeah, i don't see few going anywhere.

Turgeon would be good, though... and I bet Dana Altman would like another crack at the Big 12

Turgeon has done a great job with the shockers.... but a jayhawk kills me. Altman does not really get me going either. But then again I would take anyone with good character that brings in some guys like Jason Sutherland and Russ Grimm - Smart BASKETBALL players... not just high school showboats and ego maniacs

teedubya
02-02-2005, 11:28 PM
regardless, it has to be someone that has experience in the Big XII. Getting a coach from the ACC wasnt that bright, although it worked for KU with Roy...

I would like to see MU get a quality coach, the smack talkin of MU isnt as fun when they are crippled like this.

alanm
02-02-2005, 11:30 PM
Turgeon has done a great job with the shockers.... but a jayhawk kills me. Altman does not really get me going either. But then again I would take anyone with good character that brings in some guys like Jason Sutherland and Russ Grimm - Smart BASKETBALL players... not just high school showboats and ego maniacsI hope MU stays the f*ck away from Altman. He's got a good thing going at Creighton. Plus he's a Nebraska boy. But anything could happen if ego and money comes into the picture.
:(

duncan_idaho
02-02-2005, 11:34 PM
I don't think the problem was so much that Quin is an ACC guy... I think it was more that it was his first head coaching job of any kind. Look at what self did... paid his dues and learned to coach at Oral Roberts and Tulsa.

Quin just wasn't ready to 1) coach in the Big 12
2) Oversee a major conference program
3) Fill the shoes of a coaching legend

I think he still has the potential to be a great coach... he can motivate players and he can recruit. Those are big pieces of the puzzle.

As for who's next, we'll see... Turgeon being a beaker does bother me, but it's worth it if he can motivate players.

teedubya
02-02-2005, 11:42 PM
Turgeon wont go to MU, hell, he withdrew his name from consideration for the KU job...

Mr. Kotter
02-02-2005, 11:42 PM
Turgeon wont go to MU.

That was my thought, but with Self at KU...maybe...

RNR
02-02-2005, 11:45 PM
Turgeon wont go to MU, hell, he withdrew his name from consideration for the KU job...
Don't bet the farm on it.

teedubya
02-03-2005, 12:04 AM
Don't bet the farm on it.

Dont get your hopes up.

RNR
02-03-2005, 12:06 AM
Dont get your hopes up.
I don't care one way or the other

beavis
02-03-2005, 12:43 AM
One more thing... this is entirely a rumor, with no substantiation... but I've heard that Quin was busted by Univ. police with coke in his car, and cut a deal with the athletic department in which it isn't publicized, but Quin resigns at the end of the year. If it's true, it would be an easy way for the university to get rid of him without alienating any of his players.
I wouldn't believe much of what I read on TigerBoard if I were you.

CarolinaChiefz
02-03-2005, 02:51 AM
There's not a chance in the WORLD that Turgeon would ever....I repeat...EVER be offered the Missouri job.

htismaqe
02-03-2005, 05:51 AM
I hope MU stays the f*ck away from Altman. He's got a good thing going at Creighton. Plus he's a Nebraska boy. But anything could happen if ego and money comes into the picture.
:(

Altman has already proven that he's not about ego or money. Otherwise he would have taken the Illinois job...

Eleazar
02-03-2005, 06:12 AM
I heard on the radio the other day that due to the impending exit of the AD there, the Knight era might be near its end at Texas Tech.

We should be able to get a quality coach. Smack aside, this is a good job in a power athletic conference. I don't know what other jobs might be open at the end of the season but you would have to think Missouri would have their pick.

htismaqe
02-03-2005, 06:17 AM
I seriously don't know why so many MU fans are down on Matt Dogherty. He's not at all like Snyder, who had zero coaching experience when he came...

Dogherty had a rough go at North Carolina, which was understandable - he's not Dean Smith.

However, I think his stint at Notre Dame speaks for itself...

Eleazar
02-03-2005, 06:23 AM
I seriously don't know why so many MU fans are down on Matt Dogherty. He's not at all like Snyder, who had zero coaching experience when he came...

Dogherty had a rough go at North Carolina, which was understandable - he's not Dean Smith.

However, I think his stint at Notre Dame speaks for itself...

I don't know that I would be against that. He definitely didn't have an easy act to follow there.

KC Jones
02-03-2005, 06:31 AM
I don't think the problem was so much that Quin is an ACC guy... I think it was more that it was his first head coaching job of any kind. Look at what self did... paid his dues and learned to coach at Oral Roberts and Tulsa.

Quin just wasn't ready to 1) coach in the Big 12
2) Oversee a major conference program
3) Fill the shoes of a coaching legend

I think he still has the potential to be a great coach... he can motivate players and he can recruit. Those are big pieces of the puzzle.

As for who's next, we'll see... Turgeon being a beaker does bother me, but it's worth it if he can motivate players.

Exactly, and I think Quinn will turn into a pretty damn good coach someday. The problems at MU are systemic and go from the President on down. They need a house cleaning the same way the Chiefs do.

ROYC75
02-03-2005, 08:53 AM
MU has FO problems, as much as a HC problem.

But Mark Turgeon would be an improvement, But I find it hard to think he could coack MU vs KU.

I know he is looking at a chance to move up, but MU, he has it better at WSU right now the way the MU program is going .

duncan_idaho
02-03-2005, 10:20 AM
Doherty is just too similar to Quin for me...

All his problems as a coach (strictly in basketball terms —*he obviously never had a player choke his girlfriend) are the same as Quin's: selfish play, lack of discipline, underachieving.

No thanks.

And I think the MU job is pretty attractive to any coach looking to take a step up to a major conference... here's why:

1) The talent in place. Kleiza, Marshall Brown, Jason Horton, Thomas Gardner and Kalen Grimes form a pretty strong nucleus. It's possible that a new coach could finally get McKinney to play to his potential, too. Kleiza had player-of-the-year talent.

2) Big 12 basketball is pretty damn good

3) The scrutiny that comes with replacing Norm Stewart will be gone, and expectations will be somewhat lowered.

htismaqe
02-03-2005, 10:30 AM
Doherty is just too similar to Quin for me...

All his problems as a coach (strictly in basketball terms —*he obviously never had a player choke his girlfriend) are the same as Quin's: selfish play, lack of discipline, underachieving.

No thanks.

And I think the MU job is pretty attractive to any coach looking to take a step up to a major conference... here's why:

1) The talent in place. Kleiza, Marshall Brown, Jason Horton, Thomas Gardner and Kalen Grimes form a pretty strong nucleus. It's possible that a new coach could finally get McKinney to play to his potential, too. Kleiza had player-of-the-year talent.

2) Big 12 basketball is pretty damn good

3) The scrutiny that comes with replacing Norm Stewart will be gone, and expectations will be somewhat lowered.

Doherty had that problem at North Carolina. He was following the most successful coach in NCAA history...

You're judging the guy's entire career on that and ignoring the impressive rebuilding job he did at Notre Dame.

He's NOTHING like Quin Snyder.

Brock
02-03-2005, 10:35 AM
There's not a chance in the WORLD that Turgeon would ever....I repeat...EVER be offered the Missouri job.

I agree. He's Jayhawk.

duncan_idaho
02-03-2005, 10:57 AM
The Quin/Coke rumor IS going around TigerBoard... but there are other sources, too.

One of my good friend's step-dad is highly connected in the university and said "I can't talk about that" when my friend asked him about it, rather than "No, it didn't happen." (Which has been his response to other, false rumors)

And my dad (who doesn't read TigerBoard) heard about it from one of HIS university sources...

So I put a little more credence in it than normal.

Saulbadguy
02-03-2005, 11:00 AM
Paul Westphal

Saulbadguy
02-03-2005, 11:02 AM
Seriously though, how about Larry Eustachy? Its a few years removed from his little "scandal", and he has Big XII coaching experience...

duncan_idaho
02-03-2005, 11:08 AM
Larry Eustachy is, and forever will be, a joke in this town. Don't forget that this was the site of his "incident."

He also took a job somewhere like four months ago.

Dartgod
02-03-2005, 11:15 AM
The Quin/Coke rumor IS going around TigerBoard... but there are other sources, too.

One of my good friend's step-dad is highly connected in the university and said "I can't talk about that" when my friend asked him about it, rather than "No, it didn't happen." (Which has been his response to other, false rumors)

And my dad (who doesn't read TigerBoard) heard about it from one of HIS university sources...

So I put a little more credence in it than normal.
I won't believe one word of it until it shows up on the Star BB.

htismaqe
02-03-2005, 11:15 AM
Seriously though, how about Larry Eustachy? Its a few years removed from his little "scandal", and he has Big XII coaching experience...

ROFL

The girls at MU aren't hot enough...

htismaqe
02-03-2005, 11:16 AM
Larry Eustachy is, and forever will be, a joke in this town. Don't forget that this was the site of his "incident."

He also took a job somewhere like four months ago.

Southern Miss I believe...

Chief Henry
02-03-2005, 11:16 AM
MU can have Steve Alford at Iowa.

duncan_idaho
02-03-2005, 11:17 AM
Dartgod,

Me either. ROFL :clap:

Saulbadguy
02-03-2005, 11:18 AM
Pat Knight.

Brock
02-03-2005, 11:19 AM
Pat Summit

Saulbadguy
02-03-2005, 11:20 AM
Pat Summit
:clap: ROFL

Geno Aurreama...

Saulbadguy
02-03-2005, 11:22 AM
How about Melvin Watkins? He has Big XII experience. :)

redfan
02-03-2005, 11:30 AM
Melvin Watkins.

Saulbadguy
02-03-2005, 11:34 AM
Here's an amazing statistic for Missouri fans to chew on: The Tigers if they continue their losing ways in men's and women's basketball, could end up being just one of seven Division I teams that will finish this season with all three of their revenue-generating sports having losing records. That's seven teams out of 117 Division I schools with football programs. The others: Washington State, Central Michigan, San Diego State, East Carolina, Tulane, and New Mexico State. Not exactly the high rent district of Division I sports. Say what you will about Quin Snyder, but the buck ultimately stops at Mike Alden.

Saulbadguy
02-03-2005, 11:35 AM
Actually, MU should just hire whoever is at CMSU right now.

redfan
02-03-2005, 11:47 AM
Rich Zvosec....no wait...*yikes* VVV

The Rick
02-03-2005, 11:50 AM
Actually, MU should just hire whoever is at CMSU right now.
Kim Anderson. Sedalia native. He used to be an assistant under Norm Stewart I think. Also played at Missouri.

siberian khatru
02-03-2005, 12:27 PM
Here's an amazing statistic for Missouri fans to chew on: The Tigers if they continue their losing ways in men's and women's basketball, could end up being just one of seven Division I teams that will finish this season with all three of their revenue-generating sports having losing records. That's seven teams out of 117 Division I schools with football programs. The others: Washington State, Central Michigan, San Diego State, East Carolina, Tulane, and New Mexico State. Not exactly the high rent district of Division I sports. Say what you will about Quin Snyder, but the buck ultimately stops at Mike Alden.

I told someone the other day that this is the worst the athletic program's been in my lifetime. I don't want to hear about how donations are up or we've got a new arena or training facility or whatnot. What we're putting out on the field and court sucks donkey balls, and that's the AD's fault.

teedubya
02-03-2005, 12:44 PM
they should Hire John Elway...

duncan_idaho
02-03-2005, 12:56 PM
I'll say this is Alden's (limited defense)

He makes good hires in the Olympic sports... you know, the ones that don't really matter.

The wrestling coach (Brian Smith) and gymnastics coach (Rob Drass) are both outstanding coaches who are building perennial top-20 programs.

But I don't really care about that...

he needs to make a good hire in a major sport