PDA

View Full Version : Easy way to Improve the Chiefs

BigChiefFan
02-04-2005, 04:14 PM
I figured I'd throw my two cents into the ring. I've give this some thought and thinking improving the defense is easier than we think.
TWO key FA moves...
MLB Hartwell or Bell
CB Law or Smoot or Rolle or Baxter, possibly Surtain if trade is less than 1st rounder.

1st round-DE David Pollack, stud DE, who is great pass-rusher and stout against the run. Likely there at 15.

2nd Round-Trade up for OLBer Kevin Burnett. A great OLBer, who would be mentioned in the same breath as DJ if he weren't for him coming off an injury, most likely a high 2nd rounder.

3rd round- OLBer- Daryl Blackstock-Great pass-rushing OLBer. Knows how to make tackles behind the LOS of scrimmage and can get to the QB. Could go earlier, but if he falls, we he would be a great pick.

Hoover
02-04-2005, 04:24 PM
So what are you trading up with? a 7th round pick? We don't have a 4th which could be a 3rd.

eazyb81
02-04-2005, 04:31 PM
Why would we draft two OLB's when we have an almost identical player in Key Fox? I agree that we could upgrade the OLB position, but I think the only definite upgrades would be Derrick Johnson and Shawn Merriman.

htismaqe
02-04-2005, 04:32 PM
Why would we draft two OLB's when we have an almost identical player in Key Fox? I agree that we could upgrade the OLB position, but I think the only definite upgrades would be Derrick Johnson and Shawn Merriman.

I agree. Unless we can get DJ, I'm all for using picks on safety, DE, and CB...

BigChiefFan
02-04-2005, 04:33 PM
So what are you trading up with? a 7th round pick? We don't have a 4th which could be a 3rd.I thought we had two 4ths and two 5ths this year. One of the 4th round picks, will go to the Eagles, the other, in my scenario would have gone for the trade up for KB.

BigChiefFan
02-04-2005, 04:39 PM
No offense guys, but DJ will be gone by the time we pick. That's almost a given, however he isn't the ONLY OLBer in the draft that can make an impact for other teams. Both OLBers, I mentioned CAN make an impact.

In regards to Fox, I agree, if he is READY, then great, that frees up a draft pick for another position. However, I'm making an assumption that if Fox was showing something, he would have been on the field, where as, you all are assuming that Vermeil refuses to play rookies. I'm certain, Kris Wilson would have seen PLENTY of playing time this past year, as a rookie. Also, let's not forget Jr.Savaii, Allen and Parker, all saw playing time as ROOKIES.

Mr. Kotter
02-04-2005, 04:39 PM
Change the name of the Patriots to the Chiefs?

htismaqe
02-04-2005, 04:42 PM
No offense guys, but DJ will be gone by the time we pick. That's almost a given, however he isn't the ONLY OLBer in the draft that can make an impact for other teams. Both OLBers, I mentioned CAN make an impact.

In regards to Fox, I agree, if he is READY, then great, that frees up a draft pick for another position. However, I'm making an assumption that if Fox was showing something, he would have been on the field, where as, you all are assuming that Vermeil refuses to play rookies. I'm certain, Kris Wilson would have seen PLENTY of playing time this past year, as a rookie. Also, let's not forget Jr.Savaii, Allen and Parker, all saw playing time as ROOKIES.

Siavii saw limited playing time. Allen played because he was the only other LDE on the roster. Parker saw playing time ONLY when the season was over.

Fox was hurt in TC/PS and got on Vermeil's shit list. We all know how that works.

What I'm saying is that Fox scouted out EXACTLY the same as what Burnett and some of them are this year. The only drafted OLB that would be a GUARANTEED upgrade is DJ.

eazyb81
02-04-2005, 04:44 PM

I think you are forgetting that Fox was injured in training camp and basically fell to the bottom of the linebacker totem pole. Vermeil hates playing rookies to begin with, but if they get injured and can't play when they are supposed to learn the scheme then there is really no hope for them the 1st year. Burnett and Blackstock look good on paper, and they may end up being good players, but if Fox can't see the field his rookie season then I don't believe that they will either.

BigChiefFan
02-04-2005, 04:51 PM
Siavii saw limited playing time. Allen played because he was the only other LDE on the roster. Parker saw playing time ONLY when the season was over.

Fox was hurt in TC/PS and got on Vermeil's shit list. We all know how that works.

What I'm saying is that Fox scouted out EXACTLY the same as what Burnett and some of them are this year. The only drafted OLB that would be a GUARANTEED upgrade is DJ.
I know what you are saying, I'm saying that Fox DIDN'T see the playing field and OTHER ROOKIES, DID!!! Thus,it leads me to believe, he wasn't getting the job done, if that IS the case, in which the FO should KNOW whether or not, we should pursue another OLBer.

You all mentioned why go after so many LBers. It's simple... Barber WILL NOT be on the field for a good portion, if not ALL of next year. Conclusion-need a replacement. Fujita is a RFA, we need to at least PLAN for a possible departure. Beisel, another FA. Jones another FA. Caver , yet ANOTHER FA. Add Maslowski, possibly being forced into retirement and as you can see we need some LBers in a big way. That's SIX LBers that are question marks on whether or not they will be back. PLAN ahead.

tyton75
02-04-2005, 05:19 PM
I dont' understand why the fixation with OLB.. did everyone forget that most of US could have played MLB by the end of the year.. we need MLB help..and I wouldn't mind going after Channing Crowder.. or lofa Tatupu in the latter rounds (although he might be an OLB).. we need a MLB badly!!

BigChiefFan
02-04-2005, 05:36 PM
I dont' understand why the fixation with OLB.. did everyone forget that most of US could have played MLB by the end of the year.. we need MLB help..and I wouldn't mind going after Channing Crowder.. or lofa Tatupu in the latter rounds (although he might be an OLB).. we need a MLB badly!!Bell AND Hartwell are MLBers. Once we sign one of those guys, we already have our back-up, that's why everyone is mentioning OLBer. After aquiring a FA MLBer, we won't need to address it anymore.

KCWolfman
02-04-2005, 07:55 PM
Hartwell is a hungry monster.

I would love to have him in the LB set

Toad
02-04-2005, 10:06 PM
The only drafted OLB that would be a GUARANTEED upgrade is DJ.

Yep. In my mind, he and Braylon Edwards are the only "sure fire" franchise players in this draft. If DJ fell to 8-9, I would serioulsly consider trading up with our 1st and 2nd to get him.

In FA, Get Hartwell and one of the 2nd tier CB's (Lucas, Smoot, Dyson or Baxter) and I would be smilin' for 2 months.

Toad
02-04-2005, 10:08 PM
BTW, 100 posts my way baby! Only took me 2+ years to get there. I'm more of a reader than a writer.

txhawk
02-04-2005, 10:37 PM
Why not try and sign Antonio Pierce (Redskins). Starting MLB on a good D, would come relatively inexpensive-not a big name guy, young and aggressive. But if you've seen any redskin games this year, he is a solid player. Add a Peterson or a Hartwell or bell as well.

Oh yea go get a corner, any of the aforementioned will work. I just don't see the value in drafting a linebacker at 15 when the free agent linebacker pool is so damn deep. Hell, I'll take a stud DE over DJ. Seen him play all year, and he is good, but the stud DE are rare.

If Rolle is there, grab him. If M. Williams or Edwards is there don't think, run to the podium. Those guys are future franchise studs.

Toad
02-04-2005, 10:54 PM
Why not try and sign Antonio Pierce (Redskins). Starting MLB on a good D, would come relatively inexpensive-not a big name guy, young and aggressive. But if you've seen any redskin games this year, he is a solid player. Add a Peterson or a Hartwell or bell as well.

Oh yea go get a corner, any of the aforementioned will work. I just don't see the value in drafting a linebacker at 15 when the free agent linebacker pool is so damn deep. Hell, I'll take a stud DE over DJ. Seen him play all year, and he is good, but the stud DE are rare.

If Rolle is there, grab him. If M. Williams or Edwards is there don't think, run to the podium. Those guys are future franchise studs.

Why would we add Pierce and Peterson or Hartwell "as well"? Get 2 MLB's when our needs are many?

A stud DE is indeed rare. So rare that there isn't one in this draft IMO. Trust me on this, DJ is the best defensive player (by far) in this draft.

TEX
02-05-2005, 12:04 AM
Hartwell is a hungry monster.

I would love to have him in the LB set

:thumb:

craneref
02-05-2005, 01:57 AM
I would rather have Hartwell than Bell, I know that he stays healthier and seems to me to play hungrier, unless Ray Lewis is available :D GO CHIEFS

htismaqe
02-05-2005, 07:31 AM
Pierce is the reason that Smoot isn't going back to the Redskins.

Pierce is their #1 priority and their already working out a deal with him.