PDA

View Full Version : What are the most interesting things you can see from your workplace?

Rain Man
02-04-2005, 05:46 PM
I can see some gargoyles on the top of an old building. They're kind of cool.

I can see this big brick wall on another building that has an overhang where pigeons have been roosting for multiple generations. It's got this stain from pigeon droppings that extends for a full four floors. (It took me a while to figure out what it was.)

I can see the top floors of a hotel, but I've never seen anyone naked or anything.

If I lean up against the window and look right, I can see the R in this really big "Denver" sign at the mall.

I can see a flashing blue neon light for a theater.

I can see about 500 windows in a total of 8 high-rise buildings, but I hardly ever see people in them. It's kind of spooky sometimes, because it feels like I'm the only person left on earth.

Bob Dole
02-04-2005, 05:47 PM
Coeds exiting the testing center.

Rain Man
02-04-2005, 05:48 PM
Stop the thread. bobr17 wins.

Donger
02-04-2005, 05:49 PM
Mt. Evans.

KC Jones
breasts.

Today they were covered with a tight fitting T-shirt.

siberian khatru
Used to be a river with huge cargo ships. Now it's just a parking lot.

KC Jones
02-04-2005, 05:51 PM
Used to be a river with huge cargo ships. Now it's just a parking lot.

wow - how did they move the river for the parking lot?

:D

KCWolfman
02-04-2005, 05:51 PM
I had a beautiful view of Downtown KC from my perch on Signal Hill. The skyline was gorgeous and I looked right up the walkway of Liberty Memorial.

We moved downtown and I was pissed at first for losing such a site, but looking out my office window and LO! (how many people do you know that say "lo"?) I have a great view of the old National Reserve that has been renovated into the KC Public Library. Gorgeous building. Look down the street and I can see a bunch of books about two stories tall painted into the building and a double sized bronze statue of a Bald Eagle.

KCWolfman
02-04-2005, 05:52 PM
Mt. Evans.
He didn't ask what you like to do at work. And Evans is probably sore by now.

KC Jones
02-04-2005, 05:53 PM
I had a beautiful view of Downtown KC from my perch on Signal Hill. The skyline was gorgeous and I looked right up the walkway of Liberty Memorial.

Did you see a lot of "lonely" guys walking around there?

KCWolfman
02-04-2005, 05:53 PM
Did you see a lot of "lonely" guys walking around there?
Nope, too blessed far away, thank goodness.

bogie
02-04-2005, 05:55 PM
I have a corner office 2nd floor. In front of me I see the building entrance, beside me I see the parking lot. Beyond the parking lot I see back yards, several with swimming pools. One of the pools has a hotty that lays out regularly. It's very difficult to get work done when she does that. I would call and complain, but then I wouldn't have any use for my binoculars.

Donger
He didn't ask what you like to do at work. And Evans is probably sore by now.

You're more twisted than I had previously assumed. Interesting. It's usually the other way around.

KCWolfman
You're more twisted than I had previously assumed. Interesting. It's usually the other way around.
You are mounting your male co-workers and I am twisted?

Donger
02-04-2005, 05:57 PM
You are mounting your male co-workers and I am twisted?

It's a "mountain," silly. Did you attend KU or something?

gblowfish
02-04-2005, 06:03 PM
They're building a new Bass Pro Superstore right now the street from where I work. Lots of earthmoving; it's going to have its own lake and waterfall and stuff. It's a big deal, right at the corner of I-70 and I-470 in Independence.

KC Dan
02-04-2005, 06:05 PM
Mt St.Helens (watched it vent around Oct-Dec)
&
Mt. Hood

Donger
02-04-2005, 06:12 PM
Mt St.Helens (watched it vent around Oct-Dec)
&
Mt. Hood

Well, at least you got to mount Helen. Not sure about Hood, though.

Zebedee DuBois
02-04-2005, 06:35 PM
My office looks out on one of our parking lots. This is the lot that truck drivers stop at to get their weight tickets. I see a lot of truckers exiting and entering their truck cabs. This is seldomly a good thing and sometimes it is a fairly disgusting thing. Evidently some of these road warriers are in a transition period between normal pants and sweat pants. The transition consists of pants unfastened.

In a month or so, I will be moving to a new lab building. It won't have any windows at all.

If I look out from the plant to the south, I see wheat fields.
If I look out from the plant to the west, I see wheat fields.
If I look out from the plant to the north, I see wheat fields.
If I look out from the plant to the east, I see weed fields.

nychief
02-04-2005, 06:46 PM
several pulitzer prize winners.

alanm
02-04-2005, 06:47 PM
Let's see... From the IT building at school. I can look out across the parking lot and see other school buildings. Lot's of good looking coeds too today since it's about 70 and most are wearing shorts. Oh I forgot off in the distance I can see the Scottsbluff National Monument. Them bluffs are overrated. To the Southeast I can make out Chimney Rock Monument.

Rausch
02-04-2005, 06:49 PM
You name it, I've seen it. I pretty much work at "Sal's Place" from the movie Do the Right Thing...

Rain Man
02-04-2005, 07:02 PM
several pulitzer prize winners.

If you want to join them, you're going to need to provide more detail.

FloridaChief
02-04-2005, 07:07 PM
Ospreys all the time. Just....Ospreys....

http://www.webbwiz.com/photo/ospreys.jpg

KCWolfman
02-04-2005, 07:12 PM
If you want to join them, you're going to need to provide more detail.
Maybe he works in a literary graveyard, Mr. Insensitive!

Boozer
02-04-2005, 07:12 PM
From my window, I look out over the parking lot, so I can always keep watch over my Camry. If I lean back in my chair, I can catch a glimpse of the park. If I'm still working here next year, they might move me to the "basement," so I'll still have a window, but it'll just look out into a window well.

KCWolfman
02-04-2005, 07:13 PM
From my window, I look out over the parking lot, so I can always keep watch over my Camry. If I lean back in my chair, I can catch a glimpse of the park. If I'm still working here next year, they might move me to the "basement," so I'll still have a window, but it'll just look out into a window well.
You can always paint a seaside pic on the well.

Donger
02-04-2005, 07:14 PM

I've ascertained your commute.

~19 minutes.

Boozer
02-04-2005, 07:15 PM

Heh. If I keep my current sleep-deprived schedule, looking out at that might really F- with my mind when I realize I'm still in Lawrence.

KCWolfman
02-04-2005, 07:15 PM
I've ascertained your commute.

~19 minutes.
Not bad, are you stalking me again?

Donger
02-04-2005, 07:16 PM
Not bad, are you stalking me again?

Again? Never stopped.

Nzoner
02-04-2005, 07:16 PM
My office has no windows,however,if I happen to be in the wife's office I can see our dogs at play,the pond,sometimes geese and in the spring and summer my wife's flower garden.

Calcountry
02-04-2005, 07:17 PM
Sometimes I can see drug deals going down in the alley. Other times I can see gangs getting ready to rumble in the same alley, but one time, on a Saturday, I saw a young boy in the full flower of his youth, about 9, come barreling out of that alley on a Saturday morning.

Who knows what eager excited things was on his agenda for that Saturday morning, not to be.

He popped out of that alley onto the main street where a local neigbors car was traveling under the posted speed limit. They met in the middle of the street, the car had no chance to see or react as it is a blind alley situation, the street has the right of way.

The boy passed away later that night.

17 years worth of interesting things have been seen from where I work.

KCWolfman
02-04-2005, 07:19 PM
My office has no windows,however,if I happen to be in the wife's office I can see our dogs at play,the pond,sometimes geese and in the spring and summer my wife's flower garden.
You have a couple of hawks out there as well.

angel
02-04-2005, 07:29 PM
I can see little kids who pick their noses and eat the stuff that comes out of them.

KCWolfman
02-04-2005, 07:30 PM
I can see little kids who pick their noses and eat them.
Send 'em home. Dinner's on the table.

Fat Elvis
02-04-2005, 08:58 PM
I saw a guy who was just released from either a) military service or b) jail (probably the latter), celebrate in his garage by playing air guitar and "singing" Sweet Home Alabama --substituting Kansas City for Alabama-- while guzzling cheap beer.

He was rockin'.

The sad thing is that his performance was better than The Cars who I saw in '84. That was the worst concert EVER.

BIG_DADDY
02-04-2005, 09:17 PM
We actually managed to get lobby space which was a miracle I love it. The most interesting stuff I see is tail walking by all day.

Darkwolfe
02-04-2005, 09:40 PM
They're building a new Bass Pro Superstore right now the street from where I work. Lots of earthmoving; it's going to have its own lake and waterfall and stuff. It's a big deal, right at the corner of I-70 and I-470 in Independence.

Yeah I used to watch that spot a bit when I was trying to keep Beyond Bytes open with no help from the owner. Oh well. At least when Bass Pro opens, I won't have to go all the way to Cabela's for the good stuff.

New job starts Tuesday morning and so far as I know, all I'll get to see there will I-435s traffic jams.

Fire Me Boy!
02-04-2005, 10:27 PM
I don't have a window, but occasionally I dial up the beach webcam at Playa del Carmen... that's interesting sometimes.

Fire Me Boy!
02-04-2005, 10:59 PM
No windows where I sit. But, we're just down the road a piece from Davis Monthan Air Force Base, so if you're outside in the parking lot you can see various aircraft flying overhead.
I'm about 10 miles from Whiteman -- lots of B2 flyovers...

TEX
02-04-2005, 11:00 PM
We share a fence with Reliant Stadium so it's right outside my window. If I look straight I see Reliant Stadium and if I look left, I see the Astrodome. It's pretty cool but last year it was real cool with the Super Bowl being in Houston.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
02-04-2005, 11:20 PM
Well, if we had windows, I might be able to see the parking lots on all four sides of the buildings. Beyond them are some woods and the military barracks.

Pretty uninspiring scenery. Guess it's just as well we don't have windows in the buildings.

Amnorix
02-05-2005, 12:25 AM
A portion of Boston Harbor and a portion of Logan International Airport. I could watch planes landing for several hours at a time if I wanted (depends on which runways they're using).

Other than that, it's office buildings.

redsurfer11
02-05-2005, 09:42 AM
18 hole golf course.

cdcox
02-05-2005, 09:45 AM
Mostly the parking lot and the other wing of our building. I can see a little bit of Neyland Stadium and the occasional coed.

Bowser
02-05-2005, 10:00 AM
Since my "workplace" is usually in motion, I see lots of interesting things. The best I've seen is a guy receiving oral gratification from his wife/girlfriend. I've seen that twice. Not the same guy. I found it interesting when the first girl stopped, looked up and smiled. Interesting.

Jenson71
02-05-2005, 10:04 AM
There's a hospital nearby, so I usually stare out the window and see a helicopter. The parking lot and the apartment buildings on one side, small houses on the other.

stevieray
02-05-2005, 10:10 AM
My client pulling out the checkbook to pay me.

2bikemike
02-05-2005, 03:12 PM
Lindbergh Field. Or San Diego Airport for those of you who are unfamiliar. Also there is a Channel that runs out to San Diego Bay. I see Customs boats and Coast guard boats racing in and out all day.

chiefqueen
02-05-2005, 03:25 PM
Game over. I win.

I be able to see the downtown arena being built (but driving around downtown will be a bigger headache).

stumppy
02-05-2005, 03:34 PM
When I was working, out behind the shop was the Finley River. Sometimes, early in the morning you could watch a couple Bald Eagles flying up and down the river.

el borracho
02-05-2005, 03:35 PM
(how many people do you know that say "lo"?)
Lots.

crossbow
02-05-2005, 04:17 PM
After 20 years in the field, I have been forced to take a desk in a closed office. My area used to be Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, and Iowa. All four states have a unique beauty about them.

Kansas has colorful sunsets. Iowa has rolling green hills of well manicured farmland. The Missouri Ozarks are a natural wonder of timber, lakes, and hills. Nebraska - lovely grain and been fields that seem to never end.

I tried to capture some of the more unusual things like a raging purple cloud with silver streaks over a large Kansas town but the pictures never came close to what the real experience was like. The midwest is held together with a network of old small towns. Their buildings were made with brick and morter and they are magnificant to see. Nebraska and Kansas still have old time service garages in some of their farm communities. They are no longer in working condition but you can sit in your car, across the street and just imagine what it was like in the 1920's.

The stories these farmers can tell you about these places will just amaze you. After I spoke with some of these people I would have a strong feeling that we were going to be alright. The nation is a chaotic mess in the urban areas but you can allways go back home to the country and have a free and easy conversation with people that realy have a good perspective on life.

headsnap
02-05-2005, 04:26 PM
my cubicle has a window where I can watch people drive by and drop packages in the FedEx box.:thumb:

KCWolfman
02-05-2005, 06:48 PM
Lots.
Where do you hang out, renaissance festivals?

Eleazar
02-05-2005, 06:50 PM
The red-headed chick in the next aisle.

philfree
02-05-2005, 09:44 PM
What are the most interesting things you can see from your workplace?

Paradise Book Store which specializes in adult entertaiment. It's amazing how many couples of girls that I go in that place and come out holding hands :hmmm: :) :p . Next to that is Surplus City where I think is a tank turant(sp?) that sits by the highway. It's pretty handy though. Just think if I needed a gas mask because of a terrorist attack all I'd have to do is run across the street and buy one. Or handcuffs? I think both places have handcuffs. Of course the ones at the book store are padded with feathers :thumb:

PhilFree :arrow:

el borracho
02-06-2005, 03:53 AM
Where do you hang out, renaissance festivals?
"lo" is a common word in Spanish.

trndobrd
02-06-2005, 10:40 AM
Nothing. My windows are sandbagged.

KCWolfman
02-06-2005, 11:15 AM
"lo" is a common word in Spanish.
Dur!

Rep to you, I should have caught that.

badgirl
02-07-2005, 11:55 AM
I See Dead People. :eek:

Bearcat
02-07-2005, 11:57 AM
Game over. I win.

I be able to see the downtown arena being built (but driving around downtown will be a bigger headache).

I can see that, too :p

...as well as a nice view of the big hole that will become the H&R Block building.

City Hall/the Federal buildings to the East... another skyscraper to the South... the Convention Center/Bartle Hall to the West, and the river to the North.

cadmonkey
02-07-2005, 11:58 AM
I see a lot of hung over people walking around with smiles on their faces!

and some homeless guy who I always give my change to. He's nice.

Frazod
02-07-2005, 12:22 PM
I'm on the 31st floor of a building in the middle of the Chicago Loop, so I've got pretty good views all the way around. On a clear day, I can see the Michigan lake shore.

MOhillbilly
02-07-2005, 12:32 PM
a Brown Derby & a strip club(looooowwww rent)

PastorMikH
02-07-2005, 12:48 PM
The only thing I can see from my office is the sanctuary of the church. However, looking out the other office windows I can see where the ditch that runs down the railroad tracks at the end of our parking lot is eroding soil out from under the tracks. I could have a REALLY interesting view someday since the Railroad company has chosen to ignore my call last fall to let them know about the problem.

Hoover
02-07-2005, 12:54 PM
I'm next door to a pallet company.

I can see an old Chevy Extended cab dulley.

A pile of old pallets.

A big Chunk of metal

A Flat bed trailer that has not moved in 3 years.

Grain Truck

Corn field

Cemetery - Thats where all my old lady volunteers end up.

I think I'm going to buy a tree in the spring. Does an Evergreen have a large root system? I don't want it to wreck my retaining wall.