PDA

View Full Version : ^Steve Balboni appreciation thread^

cmh6476
02-07-2005, 03:37 PM
if we had a guy like him on the royals now, we'd take the central in a heartbeat! :thumb:

Demonpenz
02-07-2005, 03:39 PM
balboni once downed an entire fifth of jack on the flight out to play the california angels

Pants
02-07-2005, 03:39 PM
Just give Royals Rich Scanlon.

Braincase
02-07-2005, 03:44 PM
balboni once downed an entire fifth of jack on the flight out to play the california angels

And then kicked Bill Brasky's ass on the jetway.

siberian khatru
02-07-2005, 03:56 PM
Keep f*cking doubting Steve Balboni! Todd Worrell never will again.

WilliamTheIrish
02-07-2005, 06:52 PM
Keep f*cking doubting Steve Balboni! Todd Worrell never will again.

Haha!!

"Steve Balboni dug a goddam trench out there." - Whitey Hezog, commenting on Bones' four ground ball singles between 3rd & SS.

Dr. Johnny Fever
02-07-2005, 06:54 PM
Baseball in KC hasn't been the same since Pete LaCock left.

siberian khatru
02-07-2005, 06:58 PM

I got his autograph, spring training 1980.

Dr. Johnny Fever
02-07-2005, 07:00 PM
Wow..... and I get to say that I know you..... in an internet sort of way.

WilliamTheIrish
02-07-2005, 07:05 PM

No shit? You went to '80 spring training?

Jesus that was such a great team...I still cringe when I think of how we lost that series to those stiffs. (except Mike Schmidt)

siberian khatru
02-07-2005, 07:08 PM
No shit? You went to '80 spring training?

Jesus that was such a great team...I still cringe when I think of how we lost that series to those stiffs. (except Mike Schmidt)

I was living in Coral Springs, Fla., at the time, and the Texas Rangers spring training site was in Pompano Beach, about 45 minutes away. I saw a couple of Royals games there. Got 3 autographs: LaCock, Clint Hurdle and Gary Christenson (scrub lefty reliever).

Saw home runs by AO and Aikens. I don't think Brett made either trip.

4th and Long
02-07-2005, 07:08 PM
Ah yes, the son of Peter Marshall, host of the Hollywood Squares.

Pete achieved a bit of fame in his time. Remember "The Reggie Bar?" Kansas City's answer to Jackson's candy bar was none other than ...

The Pete LaCock Sucker!

:D

siberian khatru
02-07-2005, 07:11 PM
Ah yes, the son of Peter Marshall, host of the Hollywood Squares.

Pete achieved a bit of fame in his time. Remember "The Reggie Bar?" Kansas City's answer to Jackson's candy bar was none other than ...

The Pete LaCock Sucker!

:D

Hehe.

Y'know, LaCock actually does have a minor claim to fame: He made Bob Gibson retire.

IIRC, LaCock was playing for the Cubs in 1975 and he hit a home run off Gibson. Hoot reportedly said he knew then that if Pete LaCock is taking him deep, it was time to call it a career.

WilliamTheIrish
02-07-2005, 08:18 PM
I was living in Coral Springs, Fla., at the time, and the Texas Rangers spring training site was in Pompano Beach, about 45 minutes away. I saw a couple of Royals games there. Got 3 autographs: LaCock, Clint Hurdle and Gary Christenson (scrub lefty reliever).

Saw home runs by AO and Aikens. I don't think Brett made either trip.

Side note on Christenson. In 80 he came into a game in Cleveland to hold the lead late in the game. With two runners on, the batter (name escapes me now) drilled a one hop shot that caught Christenson right in the stones. The ball bounced in front of the mound and Christenson pounced on it.

Then...... it hit him. Pain.

He wheeled to make the throw and collapsed to knees. The throw went to 1st base in the arc of a wedding bouquet, and Aikens had to stretch to the limit to get it. Christenson got the out, but laid in the fetal position for several minutes. I wish I could have been in the dugout to hear the grief his teamates gave him.

Pitt Gorilla
02-07-2005, 08:37 PM
And then kicked Bill Brasky's ass on the jetway.That's exactly what I was thinking. To Bill Brasky!

Sure-Oz
02-07-2005, 08:50 PM
We need 1994 bob hamelin and Felix Jose!

teedubya
02-07-2005, 08:53 PM
how can there be a Balboni thread with no pics?

http://www.sasesportssigs.com/SteveBalboni.jpg

WilliamTheIrish
02-07-2005, 09:04 PM
how can there be a Balboni thread with no pics?

Looks like Bones was about to clank a ground ball off that glove...

siberian khatru
02-07-2005, 09:05 PM
Aikens had to stretch to the limit

Which was, what, 3 inches?

WilliamTheIrish
02-07-2005, 09:07 PM
Which was, what, 3 inches?

Yea.

His best stretch was when he inflated the diameter of his nostrils to accomodate the coke.

teedubya
02-08-2005, 03:17 AM
everyone needs to look at this link.

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/al/kc/royalsimages.html

Ill take payment in the form of cash, rep, Visa, or paypal.

tk13
02-08-2005, 04:09 AM
The Royals actually announced their official promotion schedule yesterday... the big 20th anniversary World Championship reunion weekend is going to be August 12, 13, and 14 against the Tigers. Friday is supposed to be the team reunion and autograph session before the game to go along with 1980's concession prices, on Saturday Saberhagen gets inducted in the Royals HOF, and on Sunday they're supposed to give away a 1985 World Series highlights DVD. Sounds like it's going to be a lot of fun...

siberian khatru
02-08-2005, 06:59 AM
everyone needs to look at this link.

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/al/kc/royalsimages.html

Ill take payment in the form of cash, rep, Visa, or paypal.

Porter didn't play for the Royals from 74-80. He was acquired via trade after the 76 season.

Still, neat link. Funny how those names start petering out in the 90s. Jeff Suppan? Darrell May? They don't belong on the same page as even Al Cowens and Darryl Motley. And where's Tom Poquette and Jim Wohlford? And Joe Zdeb?

WilliamTheIrish
02-08-2005, 10:10 AM
And where's Tom Poquette and Jim Wohlford? And Joe Zdeb?

Mad Dog Zdeb. What a hard nosed player. I was at the game in 76 when Poquette slammed into the wall, fracturing his jaw. Back then Royals stadium didn't even have a warning track IIRC.