PDA

View Full Version : KU chooses an "official" blue!

cmh6476
02-07-2005, 09:47 PM
sorry if this is old news!

http://www.kctv.com/Global/story.asp?S=2914563

LAWRENCE, Kan. -- Just so there's no more uncertainty: the true blue color of the University of Kansas is royal blue.

David Johnston, the school's marketing director, said it was important from a consistency standpoint to choose a single shade of blue for everything from sweat shirts to letterhead.

"For years, we've seen an assortment of blues, from navy to light blue, on everything from KU sports uniforms to Jayhawk stickers," Johnston said. "But the time has come to rally around one true KU blue."

He said focus groups and online surveys favored royal blue "hands down" as the official Jayhawk blue. Chancellor Robert Hemenway validated that this week after reviewing a proposal from several top university officials.

"The marketing plan is based on the premise that our collective efforts are more efficient and better served when we're consistent in our communications, and that includes how we use color," Johnston said.

Copyright 2005 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Pants
02-07-2005, 11:09 PM
I liked all the different blues...

Lancetastic
02-08-2005, 12:08 AM
Haha it's great how you include the copyright information in the story you copied.

alanm
02-08-2005, 12:58 AM
It only took them what.. about 140 yrs to nail this down? ROFL :)

cmh6476
02-08-2005, 08:14 AM
Haha it's great how you include the copyright information in the story you copied.
but isn't it ok since I credited them with a link? :shrug:

Saulbadguy
02-08-2005, 08:17 AM
Then Glen Mason era blue unis were AWFUL.

HC_Chief
02-08-2005, 09:20 AM
So is 'Royal Blue' the 'official' blue of Yale? After all, that is where KU's "Blue" in "Crimson and Blue" comes from: Harvard = Crimson, Blue = Yale.

Dr. Johnny Fever
02-08-2005, 09:23 AM
So if royal blue is now the color of the Jayhawks...what blue is the color of the Royals?

jcroft
02-08-2005, 09:23 AM
It's about damn time. As a marketting/branding person, this always bugged the hell out of me. It makes sense to go with the royal, as this is the color most associated with the basketball team, which is clearly their biggest branding asset.

On the other hand, I did think the football team looked good in that navy the past couple of years. I wonder how quickly they will switch back to royal football jerseys?