PDA

View Full Version : Browns hire crennel and fire 2 personnel guys

Mr. Laz
02-09-2005, 03:46 PM
POSTED 6:14 a.m. EST, LAST UPDATED 12:15 p.m. EST, February 9, 2005

BROWNS PART WAYS WITH GREEN, NERI

A league source tells us that, on the same day that the Browns signed coach Romeo Crennel to a five-year, $11 million contract, the Browns parted ways with pro personnel director Jeremy Green and director of college personnel Phil Neri.

As of this posting, both men still appear on the team's official web site in their now-former capacities. Moments ago, however, a story regarding the move was posted on the Cleveland Plain Dealer's web site.

Green, the son of Cardinals coach Dennis Green, is regarded in some circles as an up-and-comer. Both Green and Neri were among the few remaining key front office employees who predated the miserably failed Butch Davis experiment.

The fact that new G.M. Phil Savage kept both of them around for more than a month after Savage's arrival as G.M. suggests to us that Savage respects Green's insights regarding free agency and Neri's views on the draft -- and that Savage hoped to get the benefit of their work product before nudging them out the door.

Although many presume that Green will head to Arizona to work with his dad, word is that he's going to look around for the right fit. The team with the most glaring need for a guy who's already done his free agency homework is the Seahawks, but our guess is that more than a few teams might be interested in adding Green's perspective to what could end up being a fairly active signing period, especially with a relatively weak draft in the offing.

BigChiefFan
02-09-2005, 04:01 PM
I think Crennel will do a good job.

Amnorix
02-09-2005, 04:01 PM
I think Crennel will do a good job.

Agreed. I think he and Savage will be a good combo and that in 2-3 years, the Browns will start becoming a serious threat.

BigChiefFan
02-09-2005, 04:03 PM
Agreed. I think he and Savage will be a good combo and that in 2-3 years, the Browns will start becoming a serious threat.
Who's slated to become the D-coordinator now? Pepper Johnson?

htismaqe
02-09-2005, 04:14 PM
Savage is cut from the same cloth as Pioli.

I think the Browns have made a VERY astute move here.

Amnorix
02-09-2005, 04:17 PM
Who's slated to become the D-coordinator now? Pepper Johnson?

There's talk of a potential bidding war between the Pats, Browns and Miami (Nick Saban) over Pats DB coach Eric Mangini, who apparently has been anointed a stud coach and sure-fire head coach of the future. He's only like 36 or 37 years old.

Rumor has it that the Pats will get him back if they're willing to pay anywhere near what the Browns or 'phins are paying. His contract is up, so he's free to go wherever he wants. He's been tied at Belichick's hip for his whole career though. They went to the same college, he was in Belichick's old frat, Belichick gave him his first job with the Browns back in '93. It goes on and on.

Pepper Johnson was also rumored, but he's under contract with the Patriots for one more year. Given how much turnover we're already having in our coaching staff, I'm not sure BB will voluntarily let anyone else go. Pepper coached LBs for us last year and DL for us this year, though, so he's getting a well-rounded education in coaching the defense.

Amnorix
02-09-2005, 04:18 PM
Savage is cut from the same cloth as Pioli.

I think the Browns have made a VERY astute move here.

I completely agree. Savage was with the Browns when Belichick was HC, and Ozzie Newsome was in the front office. Newsome/Savage have done some damage as the Ravens braintrust, and BB/Crennell obviously have a track record as well.

Instead of hiring the latest "hot college thing", they're essentially cherry-picking the top assistants from very successful pro teams. Seems like a damn good approach to me...

htismaqe
02-09-2005, 04:19 PM
At this rate, Belichik's coaching tree will surpass that of him mentor in no time...

htismaqe
02-09-2005, 04:19 PM
I completely agree. Savage was with the Browns when Belichick was HC, and Ozzie Newsome was in the front office. Newsome/Savage have done some damage as the Ravens braintrust, and BB/Crennell obviously have a track record as well.

Instead of hiring the latest "hot college thing", they're essentially cherry-picking the top assistants from very successful pro teams. Seems like a damn good approach to me...

That "hot college thing" depends on who it is...

Remember, both Nick Saban and Kirk Ferentz were Cleveland assistants under BB.

Amnorix
02-09-2005, 04:29 PM
That "hot college thing" depends on who it is...

Remember, both Nick Saban and Kirk Ferentz were Cleveland assistants under BB.

I think (unfortunately) that Saban will succeed. He had alot of years of pro experience, and is alot like BB in alot of ways. What it really comes down to, I think, is whether he's able to find his Scott Pioli. A front office guy who can help him find "his" kind of guys.

Ferentz I'm less sure about. He was "only" a position coach, and I'm not sure how long he was in the pros.

It's the Butch Davis' that make me think a front office is insane. He had limited pro experience as a lower-level guy, and was not just given the coaching job, but the keys to the kingdom. Duh...

For every Jimmy Johnson, there are alot more Spurriers, Davises, MacPhersons, (Ron) Meyers, etc., I think.

All that said, I'm not sure the book is written on whether Pete Carroll can be a successful NFL coach. His one year with the Jets was too short to determine much, and there were alot of problems with the Patriots during his tenure here that weren't his fault. Mainly, UTTERLY horrendous drafting...

Amnorix
02-09-2005, 04:32 PM
At this rate, Belichik's coaching tree will surpass that of him mentor in no time...

I think it already does:

Parcells HCs:

Belichick - Pats
Al Groh - Univ. Virginia

(I can't think of anyone else)

Belichick HCs:

Crennell - Browns
Saban - Dolphins
Ferentz - Iowa
Weis - Notre Dame
err....I know there's one other guy in the college ranks

htismaqe
02-09-2005, 04:36 PM
I think (unfortunately) that Saban will succeed. He had alot of years of pro experience, and is alot like BB in alot of ways. What it really comes down to, I think, is whether he's able to find his Scott Pioli. A front office guy who can help him find "his" kind of guys.

Ferentz I'm less sure about. He was "only" a position coach, and I'm not sure how long he was in the pros.

It's the Butch Davis' that make me think a front office is insane. He had limited pro experience as a lower-level guy, and was not just given the coaching job, but the keys to the kingdom. Duh...

For every Jimmy Johnson, there are alot more Spurriers, Davises, MacPhersons, (Ron) Meyers, etc., I think.

All that said, I'm not sure the book is written on whether Pete Carroll can be a successful NFL coach. His one year with the Jets was too short to determine much, and there were alot of problems with the Patriots during his tenure here that weren't his fault. Mainly, UTTERLY horrendous drafting...

Ferentz could succeed easily in the AFC North. He understands the fundamentals and how to get good line play.

His Iowa teams remind me alot of BB. The guys come out of the locker room together, there's no individual introductions, and they don't have alot of superstars, just high-motor, high-character guys that want to win.

htismaqe
02-09-2005, 04:36 PM
Honestly, he's a PA native.

I see Ferentz succeeding Cowher in Pittsburgh...

Amnorix
02-09-2005, 04:52 PM
Honestly, he's a PA native.

I see Ferentz succeeding Cowher in Pittsburgh...

Didn't Cowher just re-up for like 5 more years last year?

htismaqe
02-09-2005, 04:55 PM
Didn't Cowher just re-up for like 5 more years last year?

Yeah, and Ferentz extended through 2012.

Amnorix
02-09-2005, 05:05 PM
Yeah, and Ferentz extended through 2012.

Geez, 7 more years. Still, alot of college HC contracts have an "out" for a pro HC job, so that's not necessarily going to prevent him from leaving.

Cowher, though -- the Rooneys aren't exactly known for changing mid-stream on anything... (to say the least)