PDA

View Full Version : WOW!! I couldnt even imagine this...

Ghostof
02-10-2005, 02:55 PM
http://www.kctv.com/Global/story.asp?S=2930161&nav=1PuZWE59

Feb. 10, 2005
Woman Wakes Up After 20 Years in Coma

HUTCHINSON, Kan. -- A story out of Hutchinson Wednesday was nothing short of incredible.

A woman who had been in a coma for the past 20 years suddenly woke up, according to a report Wednesday night on "KCTV5 News at 10."

Sarah Scantlin was 18 years old when a drunk driver hit her in 1984.

She'd been in a coma ever since, that was, until a nurse showed her a children's book for the pictures and Sarah suddenly started to read it out loud.

"I started listening to the conversation, and I'll be darned. She's not talking about Sarah, she's talking to her. I got on the phone, and she said, 'Hi Dad.' I didn't ever think I'd see or hear that again," said James Scantlin, her father.

After coping with their loss for 20 years, her parents said their dilemma was what to say after so long.

She still thought she was 18 years old but was able to recall family pets and to recognize friends who'd aged 20 years.

Where would you begin on explaining on what has happened over the last 20 years?

Kclee
02-10-2005, 02:58 PM
Think of all the saved up X-mas and Birthday gifts she gets to open.

BigChiefFan
02-10-2005, 02:58 PM
Damn, I wonder what their hospital bills are like.

R&GHomer
02-10-2005, 02:59 PM
Wow, 20 years. Glad to hear about the happy ending, but what a waist of a young life.

I wonder if she was on life support or not. I love my family and all, but I would have to think if I were on life support for that long someone would have pulled the plug.

badgirl
02-10-2005, 03:01 PM
Wow, 20 years. Glad to hear about the happy ending, but what a waist of a young life.

I wonder if she was on life support or not. I love my family and all, but I would have to think if I were on life support for that long someone would have pulled the plug.
Oh my plug would have definately been pulled.
Thats wonderful, I bet she will have a lot of rehab and consuling to attend.

Bearcat
02-10-2005, 03:03 PM
Time to go punch that fuqtard in the face.

siberian khatru
02-10-2005, 03:04 PM
Now if Carl would just come out of his.

Bearcat
02-10-2005, 03:05 PM
What if she was a Red Sox fan... that would kind of suck.

Saulbadguy
02-10-2005, 03:05 PM
Royals win the Pennant! Royals win the Pennant!

Amnorix
02-10-2005, 03:07 PM
Damn... The drunk driver that did this to her is already OUT of jail, no doubt.

To her:

1. Reagan is the President

2. Communism is alive and well. The Soviet Union is our biggest enemy.

3. Gulf War I hasn't happened yet, much less Gulf War II.

4. Bird and Magic are in their prime. She has no idea who Michael Jordan is.

5. The Giants, 49ers and Redskins rule. The Patriots are a collosal joke of a football team.

I can't even think of the technological innovations that she doesn't know about. I think Space Invaders was about the coolest video game at that point in time. Hell, maybe Pong!

:shake:

Rausch
02-10-2005, 03:09 PM
Time to go punch that fuqtard in the face. ROFL

With her car...

siberian khatru
02-10-2005, 03:10 PM
In and out of darkness, in and out of sleep
trying to keep my hands upon the wheel.
Never saw the corner in the driving rain.
I never saw her step into the street.
Dreaming while you sleep
dreaming while you sleep
memories to keep
dreaming while you sleep

I can never understand what went thru my mind
I didn't stop to see what I had done.
Had to keep on driving deep into the night
the miles between would somehow put it right

Dreaming while you sleep
dreaming while you sleep
memories to keep
dreaming while you sleep

All my life you lie silently there
All my life in a world so unfair
All my life and only I'll know why
and it will live inside of me,
I will never be free all my life,
trapped in her memory all my life
Till the day that you open your eyes,
please open your eyes

Dreaming while you sleep
dreaming while you sleep

Heard it on the radio, saw it on TV,
but could I take my secret to the grave.
If I had another chance, would I do the same.
Would I still deny that it was me.

Dreaming while you sleep
dreaming while you sleep
Dreaming while you sleep,
Are you dreaming while you sleep?

All my life I'll be haunted by
all my life just one moment in time
all my life until the day I die
and it will live inside of me
Oh I will never be free all my life
trapped in her memory all my life
Till the day that you open your eyes

All of my life - you lie silently there
All my life - in a world so unfair
All my life - and only I know why
And it will live inside of me
I will never be free all my life
Trapped in her memory - all my life
Till the day that you open your eyes.

All of my life.
Just one moment of time, all my life.

Ghostof
02-10-2005, 03:11 PM
No doubt that Thriller and Michael Jackson are some of her favorite things to listen to..now Jackson is in court

Then to top it off you have to show her the 1995 season and Lin Elliot

ptlyon
02-10-2005, 03:13 PM
At least she didn't miss anything in the Chiefs department.

CosmicPal
02-10-2005, 03:13 PM
Well, I'll be darned.

Kris Kringle
02-10-2005, 03:15 PM
Can you imagine what she'll think when she sees the 2005 version Michael Jackson on TV??!!

Eleazar
02-10-2005, 03:16 PM

This story is why I don't think I would be pulling any plugs...

Bwana
02-10-2005, 03:19 PM
Wow!

Kris Kringle
02-10-2005, 03:22 PM
Here's more:

'It's like a miracle'

Woman begins regaining her memory, forming words for the first time since she was critically injured 20 years ago

By Clara Kilbourn (http://www.hutchnews.com/contacts.html)

A Hutchinson woman who suffered a critical head injury and has been verbally unresponsive since she was hit by a car 20 years ago has begun to form words and is regaining her memory.
Sarah Scantlin, 18 at the time of the Sept 22, 1984, pedestrian hit-and-run accident, has been bedfast at Golden Plains Health Care Center since mid-1985.
"It's like a miracle has happened," Golden Plains Administrator Sharon Kuepker said of Scantlin's recent progress.
While she had been cognizant of what was going on around her, until about a month ago, the only sound Scantlin had made was crying out in a loud voice - something she started in the last few years, said Jennifer Trammell, Golden Plains Social Services staff member.
In her two decades at Golden Plains, the staff always has talked to Sarah when they were in her room - as a part of her plan of care, Kuepker said.
Scantlin had been placed in small group settings before, but a month ago Pat Rincon, Golden Plains activity director, was working with her in a small group she responded with an 'OK, OK.'
"It just happened one day, and nobody really knows why," Kuepker said. "She had been in that group before, and it was just like all of a sudden something happened. It just came out real plain."
From that point on, Rincon started working harder on communication, Kuepker said.
"It was like a red flag that Sarah understood and repeated it," she said.
Since that time, Scantlin, the daughter of Betsy and Jim Scantlin, has progressed to the point she is forming additional words, is counting and is remembering people and places.
The past two decades have been an emotional turmoil for them, Jim Scantlin said. "It's been a profound conflict between a deep sorrow and self-pity."
On open house at the nursing home for friends and family to visit and celebrate the change in her condition is set for Saturday.
On the night of the accident, her daughter was out celebrating with friends, Betsy Scantlin said. A Nickerson High School graduate in the Class of 1984, she was commuting to Hutchinson Community College, where she had enrolled as a freshman.
"That week, she had a new job at Wiley's and had been named a member of the HCC drill team," Betsy Scantlin said. "They were celebrating all the good things that happened."
Scantlin and her friends had left the J. W. Tappens Club in the 2100 block of East 11th Avenue at about midnight and were walking to their cars when a passing car struck her.
The driver of the car left the scene without reporting the accident. He later was identified as Douglas D. Doman II, 24. He was convicted of driving under the influence and leaving the scene of an injury accident and served six months in jail.

http://www.hutchnews.com/days/thursday/local/local1.html

Rausch
02-10-2005, 03:23 PM
This story is why I don't think I would be pulling any plugs...

This story is EXACTLY why I want them to pull the plug.

Bwana
02-10-2005, 03:27 PM
Damn... The drunk driver that did this to her is already OUT of jail, no doubt.
:shake:

Damn, the driver only got 6 months. (click on link) I would look him up and give him a sack crack. "I know you got 6 months for hitting me, but here is the interest. *CRACK*

Bwana
02-10-2005, 03:29 PM
Here's more:

Damn you Santa! :)

el borracho
02-10-2005, 03:29 PM
Wait til she hears that her cousin, Rich, is all grown up and playing linebacker for the Chiefs.

Man, that is one amazing family.

Ghostof
02-10-2005, 03:30 PM
"He was convicted of driving under the influence and leaving the scene of an injury accident and served six months in jail."

Damn, now THAT is screwed up.

Iowanian
02-10-2005, 03:32 PM
"hey, where is grandma?"
"dead"
"Where is all of my blue eyeshadow?"
"Out 2 decades"
"Do I still have my tickets to that Police concert Saturday"
"they broke up"
"where is Grandpa?
"Dead"
"who is this strange man?"
"Its your new nephew, Clyde...he's heading back, its his weekend with the kids"

I told my family to put a pillow over my head right away if I'm every in that state.

She's in for a shock.......cell phones, Microwaves, internet, cable TV, MTV

Kris Kringle
02-10-2005, 03:34 PM
Damn you Santa! :) Santa is really fast!! How do you think I deliver all of those toys on ONE night!!

badgirl
02-10-2005, 03:34 PM
I beleive they had microwaves 20 years ago.

Iowanian
02-10-2005, 03:35 PM
Not in every home.

Someone should probably tell her that the leg warmers are out.

Kris Kringle
02-10-2005, 03:38 PM
Damn, the driver only got 6 months. (click on link) I would look him up and give him a sack crack. "I know you got 6 months for hitting me, but here is the interest. *CRACK*

Here's the sentence that the judge should have given this guy:

"Son, there's good news and bad news. The good news is that I'm only giving you 6 months behind bars. The bad news is that your 6 months sentence doesn't begin until this young lady wakes up. Until then, we're going to put you in a holding cell with Bubba."

Taco John
02-10-2005, 03:41 PM
Wow... That's a trip. In her mind, she went from 18 to 38 overnight...

Rain Man
02-10-2005, 03:42 PM
I wonder to what extent her body aged. I'm sure there's a ton of atrophy that she'll have to deal with, but at the same time does she have the heart of an 18 year-old? Or a 38 year-old?

badgirl
02-10-2005, 03:43 PM
I wonder to what extent her body aged. I'm sure there's a ton of atrophy that she'll have to deal with, but at the same time does she have the heart of an 18 year-old? Or a 38 year-old?
I would say a 38 yr old maby worse for lack of exercise to keep it healthy and strong. :hmmm:

J Diddy
02-10-2005, 03:44 PM
Here's the sentence that the judge should have given this guy:

"Son, there's good news and bad news. The good news is that I'm only giving you 6 months behind bars. The bad news is that your 6 months sentence doesn't begin until this young lady wakes up. Until then, we're going to put you in a holding cell with Bubba."

You know that is the probably the best idea I have ever heard.

J Diddy
02-10-2005, 03:45 PM

Can you imagine how hairy her legs are?

Phobia
02-10-2005, 03:51 PM
I think it would have been funny to speak to her in french when she first came out and convince her that we had been conquered by franch.... Heh heh.

Nah - she'd never fall for that.

Phobia
02-10-2005, 03:51 PM
Can you imagine how hairy her legs are?

Now what in the hell is Donger gonna post on this thread?

J Diddy
02-10-2005, 03:53 PM
I think it would have been funny to speak to her in french when she first came out and convince her that we had been conquered by franch.... Heh heh.

Nah - she's never fall for that.

:)

Rain Man
02-10-2005, 03:53 PM
I would say a 38 yr old maby worse for lack of exercise to keep it healthy and strong. :hmmm:

You're probably right. I'll bet her cholesterol is really low, though.

jcroft
02-10-2005, 04:01 PM
I'd like to see her face the first time she see "www.something.com" on a billboard.

Skip Towne
02-10-2005, 04:05 PM
"hey, where is grandma?"
"dead"
"Where is all of my blue eyeshadow?"
"Out 2 decades"
"Do I still have my tickets to that Police concert Saturday"
"they broke up"
"where is Grandpa?
"Dead"
"who is this strange man?"
"Its your new nephew, Clyde...he's heading back, its his weekend with the kids"

I told my family to put a pillow over my head right away if I'm every in that state.

She's in for a shock.......cell phones, Microwaves, internet, cable TV, MTV
Cable TV has been around since the sixties.

el borracho
02-10-2005, 04:07 PM
I'd like to see her face the first time she see "www.something.com" on a billboard.
Maybe you will. I hear Fox is going to turn her into the latest reality show.

Bwana
02-10-2005, 04:08 PM
Santa is really fast!! How do you think I deliver all of those toys on ONE night!!

I don't know, but I'm still waiting for that BB gun I wanted when I was eight! :hmmm:

badgirl
02-10-2005, 04:09 PM
I don't know, but I'm still waiting for that BB gun I wanted when I was eight! :hmmm:
You will put your eye out with one of those ROFL

Iowanian
02-10-2005, 04:11 PM
Cable TV has been around since the sixties.

Quit harshin mah mellow, ya damn hippy.

If you think her legs were hairy..............

Bwana
02-10-2005, 04:11 PM
You two have little faith. :shake: Put an eye out baaaaaaaaa.

Iowanian
02-10-2005, 04:12 PM
Someone should tell her that deep shag rugs are out and hardwood floors are in.

Duck Dog
02-10-2005, 04:22 PM
She may be the only 38 year old virgin who isn't a nun.

Bearcat
02-10-2005, 04:34 PM
This is like that mini-series The 4400, but this more like a made-for-tv movie..... and I don't think she'll now have the power to crack skulls when she's really angry or anything weird like that...

"It's like a miracle has happened," Golden Plains Administrator Sharon Kuepker said of Scantlin's recent progress.

In one room, Mom and Dad are praying "Thank you God so much", while in the other room, the daughter is saying "Gee, thanks God".

Bearcat
02-10-2005, 04:36 PM
It would be cool to see how everyone is doing..... how successful all your friends are, how the high-school sweetheart is doing, etc....... guess it would be like a 20 year high school reunion. Except for the "so, what have you been up to all these years".

Duck Dog
02-10-2005, 04:52 PM
Heh... "You haven't changed a bit!"

'cept for those oozing bed sores.

Ghostof
02-10-2005, 04:57 PM
'cept for those oozing bed sores.

Those arent bed sores, just a bad case of the runs from 20 years worth of food in a tube.

Dayze
02-10-2005, 07:43 PM
that's amazing. Proof that the brain will never be figured out.
....especially mine!

Spott
02-10-2005, 08:10 PM
Somehow I doubt that she was surprised to find out that the Chiefs haven't made the Super Bowl while she was asleep.

Spicy McHaggis
02-10-2005, 08:17 PM
"how'd that Blackledge guy turn out?"
"He sucked. Everyone else is going to the hall of fame."
"Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!?"

JohnnyV13
02-10-2005, 09:57 PM
How many 18 year old girls where chiefs fans in 1984???

Hell, the chiefs sucked and no one gave a rip about them. But i can see....

Brad Pitt????? You mean that frat guy we hung out with when we took that road trip to Columbia. He was pretty cute....

The f'n TERMINATOR is REALLY governor of california?????

Stealth??? WTF is that?

You mean Tom Selleck isn't hot anymore?

What would be freaky is to think you're 18 and look in the mirror and see a 38 year old body.

Could you imagine wanting to spend the afternoon tanning and flirting with guys and people look at you and think you should be a mom?

Inspector
02-10-2005, 10:24 PM
It would sorta be like time travel.

COchief
02-10-2005, 11:44 PM
5. The Giants, 49ers and Redskins rule. The Patriots are a collosal joke of a football team.

Umm, hi there "pats fan" didn't the Pats go to the superbowl in 85 or around there? Steve Grogan anyone? So when exactly did we jump on the bandwagon? Have you traded in your lakers jerseys for pistons ones yet???

Pants
02-11-2005, 12:01 AM
What would be freaky is to think you're 18 and look in the mirror and see a 38 year old body.

I've read in a book about a guy who lost his short term memory at the age of 19 during an accident. So the last thing he can remember is being 19, every time he looks in the mirror he expects to see a 19 year old face but instead sees a 60 year old man. He had to learn the same psychologists' names every time he met them because even tough they performed the tests every day, to him he's never met them before. They were also able to do the same test everyday without him getting bored since it was all new to him all the time. That's some really effed up shit.