PDA

View Full Version : Washington couple names son 'Jake 2.0'

Nubian Nut
02-11-2005, 09:56 AM
OLALLA, Wash. - "Jake 2.0" didn't cut it with viewers, and a couple who named their son Jake Matthew Thompson 2.0 are finding the numerical part doesn't cut it with businesses and government agencies.

Although decimal designations are commonly used for successive versions of computer software, many computers can't seem to handle it for human names, parents Kyle Thompson and Dawn Carpenter have been told.

Their son was born on Feb. 4, 2004, a couple of months after the UPN science fiction show was canceled after less than four months on the air, but they still liked the name.

"He's like an upgrade of us, the better version," Thompson said.

The state birth certificate, however, reads "Jake Matthew Thompson Two Point Zero," the child's Social Security card reads simply "Jake Matthew Thompson" and Gerber Baby Foods was unable to fill an order for a "Jake 2.0" spoon, sending one that said merely "Jake" with the birth date.

Officials at the Social Security Administration and state Health Department said their equipment can handle only letters with hyphens and apostrophes.

Carpenter, a housekeeper at a convalescent home and an aspiring actress, said some co-workers have told her that when her son reaches school age, classmates will make fun of his name, "but I don't worry about it. They made fun of me because my nose is small. They make fun of you no matter what you do."

Saulbadguy
02-11-2005, 10:10 AM
Yeah. I manage our "Identity Software" here at our school district, and it could not handle a decimal point in a name.

I've seen people use slashes in names before. Thats just about as bad as a decimal.

Also, I ran a query earlier in the year, and 20% of our students have an apostrophe somewhere in their first name.

Nubian Nut
02-11-2005, 10:16 AM
Yeah. I manage our "Identity Software" here at our school district, and it could not handle a decimal point in a name.

I've seen people use slashes in names before. Thats just about as bad as a decimal.

Also, I ran a query earlier in the year, and 20% of our students have an apostrophe somewhere in their first name.

My daughter has an apostrophe in her name.

Lzen
02-11-2005, 10:40 AM

What kind of first name has an apostrophe?

:hmmm:

Yosef_Malkovitch
02-11-2005, 11:00 AM
What kind of first name has an apostrophe?

:hmmm:

Black people do it a lot. A'shonte, Di'chere, etc. etc. etc.

StcChief
02-11-2005, 11:14 AM

Sounds like non-configurable software to me. How tough could it be to handle a string with numbers and decimal.????

Saulbadguy
02-11-2005, 11:18 AM
Sounds like non-configurable software to me. How tough could it be to handle a string with numbers and decimal.????
Well, let me rephrase that. We configured the software to strip out decimal points. If you are familiar with novell E-Directory, putting a period in an objects name would be a BAD idea.