PDA

View Full Version : Drunk birds commit suicide...

shaneo69
02-11-2005, 10:53 AM
Drunken birds smash into glass office building
Associated Press

COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) -- Dozens of birds got drunk from eating holly berries, then crashed into the glass of an office building and died.

"It was like an Alfred Hitchcock movie," worker Denise Wilkinson said. "It was spooky. You could hear them where they flew into the glass."

Warm weather and an ample supply of berries attracted hundreds of cedar waxwings into the enclosed courtyard of the three-story building Tuesday.

The birds began getting drunk on the fermented berries. They got so loopy that some were falling off branches and others were slamming into the glass walls that enclose the courtyard, said Burgess Mills, the building's owner.

About half of the 100 birds that slammed into the building died, workers said.

Groundskeepers have tried to help the birds by putting tape on windows or nets over the holly trees to keep them from eating the berries, Mills said.

It's gotta be pretty easy to be a comedian these days.

Ghostof
02-11-2005, 10:56 AM
Yet another chapter of the Ted Kennedy autobiography. . .

Kclee
02-11-2005, 10:57 AM
or maybe they got this crazy email from a guy in Oregon and are just a few days early. :hmmm:

StcChief
02-11-2005, 01:15 PM
I get a few non-Drunk birds a year in the woods on clean windows.

No biggie.

Otter
02-11-2005, 01:18 PM
I get a few non-Drunk birds a year in the woods on clean windows.

No biggie.

How do you know their not drunk?

4th and Long
02-11-2005, 01:31 PM
The house I grew up in had a large plate glass window in the living room which faced east. To the west of the living room was the dining room, which had a French style pair of doors that lead into the back yard. From the front yard, looking in through the plate glass window, you could see the back yard when the French doors were open. Many a time did a bird fly out of a tree in the front yard, slamming directly into the plate glass window, thinking it was taking a shortcut into the back yard. Some of those birds lived, while others found their way into the garbage can, sporting a broken neck.

Taco John
02-11-2005, 01:59 PM
How do you know their not drunk?

Breathalizers. Duh!