PDA

View Full Version : Compensation for Tait?

eazyb81
02-11-2005, 01:59 PM
Do we get a compensatory pick for John Tait from the Bears this year? If so, does anybody know what round the pick is in? Do the Bears give it to us, or does the NFL award it to us at the end of a particular round? This compensation stuff can get confusing...

Otter
02-11-2005, 02:00 PM
Do we get a compensatory pick for John Tait from the Bears this year?

We get lubed up this year.

eazyb81
02-11-2005, 02:01 PM
Is it a 3rd or 4th round pick? Also, when do we find out what we will get for Welbourn? It's hard to do a mock draft when you don't even know the picks we will have.

ClearmontChief
02-11-2005, 02:03 PM
The Bears don't do anything.

The NFL awards compensation picks. Some complicated formula based on the contract the player signs (huge for Tait), how the losing team replaced the lost player (Bober, on the cheap). Then, Tait's playing time is considered, etc.

My guess, and I don't know anything, is an additional pick at the end of the 4th round. Although, I'm hoping that it's a 3rd.

ClearmontChief
02-11-2005, 02:04 PM
According to several posts and reports, we're LOSING our 3rd for Welbourne. We ain't gaining anything...

eazyb81
02-11-2005, 02:05 PM
The Bears don't do anything.

The NFL awards compensation picks. Some complicated formula based on the contract the player signs (huge for Tait), how the losing team replaced the lost player (Bober, on the cheap). Then, Tait's playing time is considered, etc.

My guess, and I don't know anything, is an additional pick at the end of the 4th round. Although, I'm hoping that it's a 3rd.

Do you know when we find out? Is it just added in right before the draft, or do we find out earlier? Is the Welbourn situation the same deal where the NFL will award us a pick at the end of a round?

eazyb81
02-11-2005, 02:07 PM
According to several posts and reports, we're LOSING our 3rd for Welbourne. We ain't gaining anything...

WTF? Didn't we give them a pick last year? God, if that is true, that sucks. So I guess we are just going to have a bunch of meaningless picks at the end of the draft and only a 1st and 2nd to get any players that will contribute this year.

ClearmontChief
02-11-2005, 02:09 PM
Okay, first...don't confuse NFL trades (Welbourn) with NFL Free Agency.

We traded away last season's 5th rounder and this years 4th (conditional to a 3rd based on playing time) for Welbourn. Apparently, Welbourn had enough snaps before getting injured that he's costing us a 3rd rather than 4th based on conditions of the trade.

Now, the compensatory pick. Not really sure exactly the 'date' they're released. We'll probabaly know by mid-March what our Tait reward is.

ClearmontChief
02-11-2005, 02:11 PM
Yep, we've got a 1st, 2nd, no 3rd, a compensatory pick, our 4th, 2 5ths, not really sure of the rest. I think it's 11 picks total?

eazyb81
02-11-2005, 02:20 PM
Okay, so we don't have a 3rd rounder, but we get a compensatory pick at the end of the 3rd or 4th? Alright, thanks for the help.

Dave Lane
02-11-2005, 02:21 PM
Should be end of the 3rd,

Dave

ClearmontChief
02-11-2005, 02:22 PM
MAYBE we get a comp pick at the end of the 3rd or 4th. We might take it up the poop chute too. Nothing's for sure about compensatory picks until the NFL awards them. Might be a 5th, or 6th as easy as a 3rd...only the NFL knows at this point.

crossbow
02-11-2005, 04:54 PM
What ever screws us the hardest will be what we get. Commisioner likes to wisecrack about our defense but will take away our ability to improve it through the draft.

Bob Dole
02-11-2005, 06:02 PM
With Holmes injury, we really missed Tait's rushing contribution this past season. Also, the Bears got a player who is listed first when you look at NFL players whose last name begins with "T".

They should consider those things in their stupid little formula.

Cannibal
02-11-2005, 06:15 PM
WTF? Didn't we give them a pick last year? God, if that is true, that sucks. So I guess we are just going to have a bunch of meaningless picks at the end of the draft and only a 1st and 2nd to get any players that will contribute this year.

Are you kidding? Very rarely do our picks contribute substantially in the 1st year, it doesn't matter what round they're picked in.

Although, I must give props for the Jared Allen pick.

whoman69
02-11-2005, 06:28 PM
Yep, we've got a 1st, 2nd, no 3rd, a compensatory pick, our 4th, 2 5ths, not really sure of the rest. I think it's 11 picks total?
CP will get rid of three of those picks to move up 2 slots. Then he'll waste all the other first day picks on reaches. We won't care by the end who we get.

milkman
02-11-2005, 07:24 PM
Are you kidding? Very rarely do our picks contribute substantially in the 1st year, it doesn't matter what round they're picked in.

Although, I must give props for the Jared Allen pick.

Our picks very rarely ever contribute substantially.

TEX
02-11-2005, 09:52 PM
MAYBE we get a comp pick at the end of the 3rd or 4th. We might take it up the poop chute too. Nothing's for sure about compensatory picks until the NFL awards them. Might be a 5th, or 6th as easy as a 3rd...only the NFL knows at this point.

Isn't there a criteria? :hmmm:

ClearmontChief
02-12-2005, 06:26 AM
Supposedly there's some kind of formula for making the determination. But, it's subjective as hell.

http://people.howstuffworks.com/nfl-draft1.htm

"A free agent is a player whose contract has expired and is eligible to sign with another team. A restricted free agent is a player for whom another team can make an offer, but his current team is allowed to match that offer. If the current team chooses not to match the offer, it may receive compensation in the form of a draft choice. The NFL awards compensatory picks based on the net loss of restricted free agents. The limit for compensatory picks is four per team."

So, the NFL awards compensatory picks based on the net loss of restricted free agents.

Net loss= what we lost (Tait, (amount of contract, playing time, etc.)); how we replaced him (Bober, (amount of contract, playing time, etc.)).

Should equal to a nice 3rd rounder, (I think compensatory picks are awarded at the ends of rounds 3 through 7). But, it's a subjective formula...NOT an exact science.

ClearmontChief
02-12-2005, 06:38 AM
Here's a better definition for you:

http://www.theredzone.org/2005/freeagents/defintions.asp

COMPENSATORY DRAFT PICKS: Compensation awarded by the league to teams who lost more UFAs than they signed. Compensation is in the form of extra draft picks added to the end of rounds three through seven. The quantity of picks is equivalent to the difference of UFAs signed to UFAs lost. For example, if a team loses 4 UFAs and signs 1 UFA, they will receive three Compensatory Selections. The value of the picks is determined by the difference of the contracts signed by the players lost and those acquired. The highest possible compensatory pick is the 31st of the third round (91st overall). If a team has signed an equal number or more UFAs than it lost, no "Compensatory Picks" are awarded.

Now, Tait wasn't an UFA...he was a RFA, so how's that Compensation (if any) work? Plus, wasn't he a transition player...there's stuff in the linked article that says if the original team doesn't match, no compensation is award. But, I think that would mean that CHICAGO doesn't (didn't need to) compensate with picks in the 2004 draft.

Like I said, subjective, nothing sounds definate.

Mr. Kotter
02-12-2005, 10:09 AM
Should be end of the 3rd,

Dave

Good. That's a little better.

Brock
02-12-2005, 10:36 AM
Now, Tait wasn't an UFA...he was a RFA, so how's that Compensation (if any) work? Plus, wasn't he a transition player...there's stuff in the linked article that says if the original team doesn't match, no compensation is award. But, I think that would mean that CHICAGO doesn't (didn't need to) compensate with picks in the 2004 draft.

Tait was tagged a transition player.

redshirt32
02-12-2005, 10:57 AM
So we get no comp pick because he was a transition player ? #1 #2 no 3 #4 two #5's two #6's maybe lose #7 for punter Steve Cheek conditional pick from Houston. That will give us seven picks,
Carl and company will trade down again for a draft pick with upside potential LOL

crossbow
02-13-2005, 12:02 AM
CP will get rid of three of those picks to move up 2 slots. Then he'll waste all the other first day picks on reaches. We won't care by the end who we get.

Lol, so true. I couldn't believe it when they took Mitchel as early as they did. And they passed up the top 5 rated middle linebackers to do it too. Same with Ryan Sims. He was NOT the highest rated tackle that year but they traded picks to pass up Henderson and Haynesworth.

I am getting sick of passing up good players that don't fit the "good citizen" profile that we seem to draft by. You need mean and nasty people on your defense.

J Diddy
02-13-2005, 04:40 AM
Lol, so true. I couldn't believe it when they took Mitchel as early as they did. And they passed up the top 5 rated middle linebackers to do it too. Same with Ryan Sims. He was NOT the highest rated tackle that year but they traded picks to pass up Henderson and Haynesworth.

I am getting sick of passing up good players that don't fit the "good citizen" profile that we seem to draft by. You need mean and nasty people on your defense.

I don't know what you are talking about. Sims was the highest rated tackle that year. So much that they didn't even debate his status. All the hubub was about who was the second rated tackle. Personally, I was ecstatic when we got him. Hopefully some dramatic changes occur because he has panned out.

however, to say that he was crap and we should have known it now with the benefit of hindsight is silly.

whoman69
02-13-2005, 08:18 AM
I don't know what you are talking about. Sims was the highest rated tackle that year. So much that they didn't even debate his status. All the hubub was about who was the second rated tackle. Personally, I was ecstatic when we got him. Hopefully some dramatic changes occur because he has panned out.

however, to say that he was crap and we should have known it now with the benefit of hindsight is silly.
The fact that the Vikings were looking at the same thing renders that argument moot as well. We do reach very often in the draft, but I could not put Sims in that category. He simply has not lived up to the expectations.

Chief Roundup
02-13-2005, 09:05 AM
We do reach very often in the draft, but I could not put Sims in that category. He simply has not lived up to the expectations.

I have been disappointed with Sims in a way as well. But in his defense it is kind of hard to get pressure and blow things up when you are consistently and constantly double teamed. So with Sims doubled someone else on our line should be doing some damage and they are not. So I think it is the other parts of our line that is not getting it done.

redfan
02-13-2005, 12:23 PM
I still can't believe how bad we got farked on the Welbourne deal.
:$2500:

Alphaman
02-13-2005, 01:29 PM

Let's clear this up a bit:

We have:

1 First
1 Second
1 4th
3 5ths (Detroit trade last draft and Truluck)
2 6ths (Truluck)
2 7ths (we don't have to give one up cheek)

Total 10 with one potentially pending for Tait.

Alphaman
02-13-2005, 01:32 PM
Here's a better definition for you:

http://www.theredzone.org/2005/freeagents/defintions.asp

COMPENSATORY DRAFT PICKS: Compensation awarded by the league to teams who lost more UFAs than they signed. Compensation is in the form of extra draft picks added to the end of rounds three through seven. The quantity of picks is equivalent to the difference of UFAs signed to UFAs lost. For example, if a team loses 4 UFAs and signs 1 UFA, they will receive three Compensatory Selections. The value of the picks is determined by the difference of the contracts signed by the players lost and those acquired. The highest possible compensatory pick is the 31st of the third round (91st overall). If a team has signed an equal number or more UFAs than it lost, no "Compensatory Picks" are awarded.

Lost: Quinn, Tait

Signed: Bober, Dalton, Huard

We may not get a comp pick