PDA

View Full Version : Free Agent LBs

philfree
02-11-2005, 07:19 PM
Here's a list of the top Free Agent LBs. Only 2 have been playing on the R/WLB side. Warrick Holdman and Tommey Polley. IMO the RLB position is the msot important right now because we don't have a starter who is healthy. I'm sure some of the guys who have been playing MLB and SLB could move over to the week side. I'm a little intrigued by Polley isn't he really fast?

Note: These are listed by order of best first as ranked by scouts,inc., ESPN'in".

Julian Petersen, 49ers
Jeremiah Trotter, Eagles
Kendrell Bell, Steelers
Edgerton Hartwell, Ravens
Ian Gold, Bucs
Morlon Greenwood, Miami
Chris Claiborne, Vikettes
Warrick Holdman, Browns
Antonio Pierce, Redskins
Tommey Polley, Rams
Rob Morris, Colts
Matt Stewart, Falcons

PhilFree :arrow:

milkman
02-11-2005, 07:44 PM
I think that the MLB is the most important position to upgrade since he's the defensive captain, and Kawika Mitchell just isn't getting done.

philfree
02-11-2005, 08:01 PM
I think that the MLB is the most important position to upgrade since he's the defensive captain, and Kawika Mitchell just isn't getting done.

With Maz and Barber both probably done we are way thin at LB. We've pretty much gotta get another MLB wether he's the starter or not. As far as Mitchell goes with his injuries and changing schemes I don't think he had much of a chance till the last ten games he started in 2004. He improved with every game IMO and he lead the team in tackles. Granted that's not that impressive when your D is 31st in the league. Our run D wasn't 31st though and after getting gashed the 1st two games of the season finishing 12 agaisnt the run was a decent turn around.

Like I said before we don't have a starter at RLB on the roster right now.WE could go to camp with Mitchell as the starter but we can't go to camp without a starting RLB.

milkman
02-11-2005, 08:15 PM
With Maz and Barber both probably done we are way thin at LB. We've pretty much gotta get another MLB wether he's the starter or not. As far as Mitchell goes with his injuries and changing schemes I don't think he had much of a chance till the last ten games he started in 2004. He improved with every game IMO and he lead the team in tackles. Granted that's not that impressive when your D is 31st in the league. Our run D wasn't 31st though and after getting gashed the 1st two games of the season finishing 12 agaisnt the run was a decent turn around.

Like I said before we don't have a starter at RLB on the roster right now.WE could go to camp with Mitchell as the starter but we can't go to camp without a starting RLB.

Mitchell's improvement was marginal, at best.
I say sign a FA MLB, (Hartwell), and draft for the ROLB.

Add a FA corner, and a rookie LDE, and the Chiefs D would improve dramatically.

Our run D only showed improvement because teams could pass on us with so much ease.

TEX
02-11-2005, 08:25 PM

Our run D only showed improvement because teams could pass on us with so much ease.

Bingo - you nailed it! :clap: :thumb:

htismaqe
02-11-2005, 08:33 PM

I agree.

Spicy McHaggis
02-11-2005, 08:38 PM
Draft Johnson if we can, move up and take Roth in the second. Sign Hartwell and keep Fuji on the other side. If this happens I'll piss myself with joy.

philfree
02-11-2005, 08:45 PM

The only thing I don't agree with is the last statement. I've read that by more then one person and though it may be true to an extent I think our run D did get better. I watched us stuff teams on 3rd and short when they tried to run it. In 2003 we allowed 40 yard TD runs in that situation. Also teams didn't pass against us till they found out we weren't the 2003 Cheifs run D. WE stopped them and they started passing and then our secondary was exposed.

milkman
02-11-2005, 08:51 PM
Draft Johnson if we can, move up and take Roth in the second. Sign Hartwell and keep Fuji on the other side. If this happens I'll piss myself with joy.

I haven't been able to follow college football in the last couple of seasons the way I used to, but everything I read seems to indicate that we won't have a shot at Johson, unless we trade up.

I have been reading the draft reports, and if David Pollack is every thing they say he is, especially the part about a motor that never stops, then I'm on board with Parker, I believe, taking him in the first.

Nothing about any of the LBs, other than Johnson really stands out, so I haven't really come to any conclusions for any particular one, except to say, take the best one available in the 2nd.

milkman
02-11-2005, 08:58 PM
The only thing I don't agree with is the last statement. I've read that by more then one person and though it may be true to an extent I think our run D did get better. I watched us stuff teams on 3rd and short when they tried to run it. In 2003 we allowed 40 yard TD runs in that situation. Also teams didn't pass against us till they found out we weren't the 2003 Chiefs run D. WE stopped them and they started passing and then our secondary was exposed.

I disagree.
Tatum Sanders, or Barry Bell, or whatever the hell his name was, ran all over our D in the first game of the season.
He was hardly to be heard from after that.

Sure, we made a couple of stops, but the same could be said the year before.

We also gave up some big runs this past season.

If teams hadn't found it so easy to pass on us, our run D would have continued to be exposed throughout the season.

Mr. Kotter
02-11-2005, 08:59 PM
I haven't been able to follow college football in the last couple of seasons the way I used to, but everything I read seems to indicate that we won't have a shot at Johson, unless we trade up.

I have been reading the draft reports, and if David Pollack is every thing they say he is, especially the part about a motor that never stops, then I'm on board with Parker, I believe, taking him in the first.

Nothing about any of the LBs, other than Johnson really stands out, so I haven't really come to any conclusions for any particular one, except to say, take the best one available in the 2nd.

If we end up needing to address DE in the draft, because we land a marquee CB and a LB or two in FA....I'd be ecstatic to draft Pollack in the first--maybe even able to trade down to do it... :hmmm:

Can you imagine he and Allen as bookends to our DL. :drool:

philfree
02-11-2005, 09:52 PM
I disagree.
Tatum Sanders, or Barry Bell, or whatever the hell his name was, ran all over our D in the first game of the season.
He was hardly to be heard from after that.

Sure, we made a couple of stops, but the same could be said the year before.

We also gave up some big runs this past season.

If teams hadn't found it so easy to pass on us, our run D would have continued to be exposed throughout the season.

Yeah the 1st two games we couldn't stop the run. Our Lbs were lost. We did a pretty good job agaisnt the run the next 4 games and that's when our secondary was exposed. There were still teams that tried to run after that but most teams went to the pass after the Colts game.

DaKCMan AP
02-11-2005, 11:54 PM
I like Akin Ayodele, I think he's a RFA.

Toad
02-12-2005, 12:34 AM
As far as Mitchell ...He improved with every game IMO and he lead the team in tackles.PhilFree :arrow:

Sorry Phil, but with the window of opportunity probably only one year for us, I (for one) would like to see us go with a veteran MLB who can quarterback and lead our defense back to respectability.

I hope we go after Trotter, Hartwell or Bell.

Mr. Kotter
02-12-2005, 12:39 AM
Sorry Phil, but with the window of opportunity probably only one year for us, I (for one) would like to see us go with a veteran MLB who can quarterback and lead our defense back to respectability.

Mitchell will still get snaps, but....yep, yep, YEP! :hmmm:

Ultra Peanut
02-12-2005, 12:44 AM
Warrick Holdman, BrownsDAMNIT, CARL!!!!!!!!! :cuss:

philfree
02-12-2005, 01:18 AM

No need to apologize. I'm not oppossed to a vet MLB I'm just not as convinced as most that Mitchell won't improve. I don't think Trotter will leave the Eagles again. Hartwell has had a much better career thus far compared to Bell. Bell seems to be a little of an underachiever in the NFL. Both of those guys have been playing in a 3-4 though so we don't know how they'll respond as the MLB of our 4-3.

Manila-Chief
02-12-2005, 01:57 AM
I do not pretend to be an expert ... but if Trotter is there I sure hope Kingless gets off his throne long enough to make a valid run at him. I, too, think he will take less money to stay in Philly, but man would I rejoice if we could sign him. He will go a long way to making our D respectable.

Now, I base the above from watching him in the S.B. It seems he has the name but also has game!!!!

teedubya
02-12-2005, 03:45 AM
I recall Julian Peterson OWNING TG a couple years ago. That being said, Id like Him, Hartwell, or Trotter...

along with a good CB, and drafting CB's and LB's in the draft. heh.

Miles
02-12-2005, 04:11 AM
I recall Julian Peterson OWNING TG a couple years ago. That being said, Id like Him, Hartwell, or Trotter...

Yeah if he is health by now Julian Peterson would be about the best FA defensive player on the market. He is among the best LBs in the league and would go a hell of a long way towards fixing or D. And he is only 26 as well.

the Talking Can
02-12-2005, 06:55 AM
Here's a list of the top Free Agent LBs. Only 2 have been playing on the R/WLB side. Warrick Holdman and Tommey Polley. IMO the RLB position is the msot important right now because we don't have a starter who is healthy. I'm sure some of the guys who have been playing MLB and SLB could move over to the week side. I'm a little intrigued by Polley isn't he really fast?

Julian Petersen, 49ers
Jeremiah Trotter, Eagles
Kendrell Bell, Steelers
Edgerton Hartwell, Ravens
Ian Gold, Bucs
Morlon Greenwood, Miami
Chris Claiborne, Vikettes
Warrick Holdman, Browns
Antonio Pierce, Redskins
Tommey Polley, Rams
Rob Morris, Colts
Matt Stewart, Falcons

any of those LBs would be better than any LB on our roster...we have the worst LBs in the league...if line up next year with Hicks and Mitchell as starters still then we just aren't serious about winning

suds79
02-12-2005, 08:38 AM
any of those LBs would be better than any LB on our roster...we have the worst LBs in the league...if line up next year with Hicks and Mitchell as starters still then we just aren't serious about winning

Yeah couldn't agree more.

You can add any other CB on our team other than Warfield who starts to that list also.

TEX
02-12-2005, 09:55 AM

Well I recall Julian Peterson HOLDING TG a couple of years ago but nothing was called, including a critical pass interference call in the red zone, so I guess you're correct. :hmmm:

DaKCMan AP
02-12-2005, 10:33 AM

I think the 9ers will franchise him.

philfree
02-12-2005, 11:06 AM
I think the 9ers will franchise him.

Probably but with his injury and then the new staff they may decide to just let him walk or do what other teams are apparently doing and "tag" him for trade.

I didn't realize but we have 4 free agent LBs of our own. Biesel, Caver and Jones are all UFA and Fujita is a RFA. I'd like to keep Fuji but the other's are nothing more then STers/backups. Include the injured players who probably won't be back in Maz and Barber and we'll be down to 1-2 LBs on the roster. I guess this would a good year to totally revamp our LB corp. If we let'em all walk we're gonn have to hustle to fill the roster.

Mr. Christopher
02-12-2005, 11:28 AM

You're right - we only have a year, and restricted cap space.

So what are the Chiefs needs on defense...besides a whole new defense. I don't think that getting a few stars out there is going to help as much in one year as getting a lot of defensive guys with youth, speed, and potential out there.

What that tells me is that we need to use FA to get a veteran MLB and a veteran Corner to be leaders on the field. Aside from that, we need to draft defense all the way down the board. No more middle round running backs or TEs.

First round, we need to address either outside linebacker or defensive end. In subsequent rounds, we should focus on finding the best talent in the following positions CB, MLB, and safety...preferrably in that order.

I don't pretend to know a whole lot about the subject, but it's just my opinion that we need to get faster and a more talented on the defensive side of the ball. A year is not long enough to make long term solutions, so I think that the draft has to be used to pick up as much talent on defense as possible.

As a side note, the only thing that we need to improve on offensively is WR...but I think that should also be addressed in FA.

Well, it's just me thinking out loud.

Ultra Peanut
02-12-2005, 01:19 PM
Peterson is vastly overrated.

Bowser
02-12-2005, 01:25 PM
Peterson is vastly overrated.

Overrated? Maybe.

Vastly overrated? I might need a little persuasion.

2bikemike
02-12-2005, 01:37 PM
Well I recall Julian Peterson HOLDING TG a couple of years ago but nothing was called, including a critical pass interference call in the red zone, so I guess you're correct. :hmmm:

HOLDING? That was an all out MUGGING!

Bowser
02-12-2005, 01:41 PM
HOLDING? That was an all out MUGGING!

No shit! Tony had to cancel his credit cards after that game!