PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a cheap/solid computer for my dad..

The Bad Guy
02-11-2005, 10:58 PM
My pops is about as basic of a comp user as you can get. He only uses the computer for one thing - going online. He's not into games or anything like that.

His old ass Acer computer was giving me a headache tonight and I don't feel like cleaning out a 8 year old computer that has a dirt old processor and starting over so I want to buy him a new machine.

I'd like for it to have a decent processor, good amount of ram and a decent HD (10-20 gigs). I'm not really interested in building my own because I'm not that comp savvy.

Does anyone know of any kickass deals on a decent computer that I can get him? Freelance writing is kicking my ass right now, so bills are tight, but I can swing something in the 300-350 range.

Any help is appreciated.

KC Jones
02-12-2005, 07:06 AM
Seriously, I'd have to consider the mac mini. Re-use your keyboard, monitor, and mouse. It'll be a $500 computer that works very well and will not attract anywhere near the same amount of virii, hacks, etc. as a windows box.

I'm trying to find an article I read a few months back about a PC being built and geared for older users that don't need all the high end performance and just want basic internet, email, and document writing/reading.

KC Jones
02-12-2005, 07:10 AM
I found the article but ti looks like it's a Europe only thing for the time being.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/01/11/new_pcs_for_old_people/

A Dutch company has developed a PC to ease old people's fear of computers. In May 2005 Secure Internet Machines (SIM) will introduce three versions of its simPC, which comes preloaded with software and services, such as online banking.

The basic model costs €299. One model is just a flat screen with all electronics built-in. There is also a wireless model. However, users have to pay €10 a month for services such as spam filters, virus scanners and online storage. They also need a DSL line.

The PC will be idiot-proof, simPC promises. It runs on a proprietary OS; and to prevent problems, users won’t be able to install software, download big files, burn CDs or DVDs or edit videos. The PC also comes with accessories such as a old-user-friendly printer and a simPhone to make VoIP calls. The makers of simPC, founders of unified messaging firm XOIP (sold off to Tiscali), guarantee a boot up-time of less than 40 seconds.

Initially, the PC will be available in the Netherlands and Belgium only, but SIM plans to expand beyond the Low Countries. ®

The Bad Guy
02-12-2005, 08:21 AM
Thanks for the link.

The only problem is that my dad is a low-end comp user who has only used a windows based OS his entire computing life.

The Bad Guy
02-15-2005, 11:09 AM
Anyone know of any kickass deals?

HC_Chief
02-15-2005, 11:10 AM
Check DELL... they always have specials going on. You can get a good setup for that pricerange.

Miles
02-15-2005, 11:18 AM
You may want to check the forums at www.fatwallet.com

If you do a search the posters over there usually keep up with the latest deals from dell.

The Bad Guy
02-15-2005, 11:18 AM
I found a small business comp for 497 with a hundred dollar rebate. I found some coupon codes to make it even cheaper but they expired. I know their coupons pretty much recycle each week so I'm waiting to see if I can find one.

Thanks HC.

Hammock Parties
02-15-2005, 11:33 AM
497 bucks? Bah!

Do you have a Fry's around? You can get exactly what you need for 200 bucks.

http://shop2.outpost.com/product/4199563?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Throw a copy of Windows on it you're good to go....you have to have a copy of Windows laying around, right?

Hammock Parties
02-15-2005, 11:34 AM
This good too if you can't get Fry's...

http://www.emachines.com/products/products.html?prod=eMachines_T3624

Lzen
02-15-2005, 01:03 PM
gochiefs,
the only problem with the first one you posted from Fry's is it doesn't come with a monitor or OS. That emachines one looks like a pretty good deal. I'm getting one for my kids and that may be the one. :thumb:

Here is the one were have been contemplating getting for them.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=3551256

Hammock Parties
02-15-2005, 02:22 PM
gochiefs,
the only problem with the first one you posted from Fry's is it doesn't come with a monitor or OS. That emachines one looks like a pretty good deal. I'm getting one for my kids and that may be the one. :thumb:

Here is the one were have been contemplating getting for them.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=3551256

I'm assuming his dad already has a monitor.

I only reccomend the emachines because he said his dad only needed it for minor computing tasks...kids may want more out of a computer, and an emachine ain't gonna provide that.

Lzen
02-16-2005, 02:36 PM
I'm assuming his dad already has a monitor.

I only reccomend the emachines because he said his dad only needed it for minor computing tasks...kids may want more out of a computer, and an emachine ain't gonna provide that.

My boys are 12 and 8. They aren't gonna need a real powerful PC. Mainly for simple kids games and internet. They have a Gamecube for other games. ;)