PDA

View Full Version : What would make you most likely to give money to a panhandler?

Rain Man
02-12-2005, 05:31 PM
Assume that you're walking across town and you see 20 panhandlers on your way. Unless otherwise specified, they're all 40-something white men, slightly grungy and unattractive, not apparently drunk or drugged, all holding a sign that says, "Everyone needs a little help sometimes." However, each panhandler has one different and unique feature, as will be noted in the poll.

Assume that you were caught peeking in the nun's dressing room at church, and as punishment you have to give some money to one of these people. Which one gets the money?

Poll coming, if you can spare a little time, my friend.

Bwana
02-12-2005, 05:32 PM
The one pointing the .357 at me. :)

Bowser
02-12-2005, 05:34 PM
Is there a dancing monkey involved?

Ultra Peanut
02-12-2005, 05:34 PM
I would kick them all in the face and keep walking.

Hey, at least I'm not bullshittin' you.

teedubya
02-12-2005, 05:35 PM
i have offered to buy panhandlers a meal ... they have always refused though, Im sure they just wanted the money for alcohol.

Eleazar
02-12-2005, 05:39 PM
I would kick them all in the face and keep walking.

Hey, at least I'm not bullshittin' you.

He lost me with the unnecessary apostrophe.

Ultra Peanut
02-12-2005, 05:43 PM
He lost me with the unnecessary apostrophe.Yeah... be homeless if you want, but damnit, at least abide by the apostrophe rules. Otherwise, you're just embarrassing yourself.

Ultra Peanut
02-12-2005, 05:44 PM
Psicosis' posts are really confusing me now. It's like I've got a split personality or something.Welcome to SDChiefsfan's world.

teedubya
02-12-2005, 05:44 PM
I've offered them an opportunity to go f*ck themselves.

They're generally not interested in that either.

you really arent that good of a person... fuggin people wives, kicking bums in the head. I think you may be in need some soul searching.

Ultra Peanut
02-12-2005, 05:45 PM
Aaaigh?

David.
02-12-2005, 05:46 PM
Is a teenage girl (still grungy and somewhat unattractive)

depends, am I on a plane?

David.
02-12-2005, 05:46 PM
Shit. Am I gonna start making unfunny jokes now, too?

start?

Ultra Peanut
02-12-2005, 05:48 PM
Shit. Am I gonna start making unfunny jokes now, too?My soul burns with the fire of your disapproval.

Ultra Peanut
02-12-2005, 05:49 PM
Ali Chiefs can't tell us apart anymore, either, Psi.This is like when I pretended to be gochiefs.

Well, not really.

Mr. Laz
02-12-2005, 05:51 PM
Shit. Am I gonna start making unfunny jokes now, too?

i'm still waiting for your funny ones

Skip Towne
02-12-2005, 05:51 PM
So you guys aren't giving me any money then?

Rain Man
02-12-2005, 05:52 PM

Not yet, #20.

Bwana
02-12-2005, 05:53 PM

That depends, are you packing heat? :hmmm:

Eleazar
02-12-2005, 05:54 PM
Not yet, #20.

At first glance you might take him for #13 though.

LocoChiefsFan
02-12-2005, 05:57 PM
I've only gave one panhandler money in my life. He was in a wheel chair, and was missing both of his legs. He had a sign that said Homeless Vietnam Vet with his unit and place. He didn't look grungy at all. He was wearing an olive drab Army coat. When I gave him the money, I thought he was going to cry. I'll never forget that guy (don't know why though).

Rain Man
02-12-2005, 05:59 PM
You're not my target audience. Go read Marmaduke or something.

Now I'm getting confused about who you are.

Ultra Peanut
02-12-2005, 06:04 PM
I've only gave one panhandler money in my life. He was in a wheel chair, and was missing both of his legs. He had a sign that said Homeless Vietnam Vet with his unit and place. He didn't look grungy at all. He was wearing an olive drab Army coat. When I gave him the money, I thought he was going to cry. I'll never forget that guy (don't know why though).Sucker!

Calcountry
02-12-2005, 06:07 PM
Everything is done on a case by case basis. I have no rules to follow, just my gut. For one thing, there is nothing that pisses me off more than some pos black panhandler that thinks I OWE him some goddam money because I am white.

Cue the situation: I was about to throw down on a crowded BART train just to prove the point.

Bitch says, Got any change!?, as in give me some motha fugga with a scoul on his face.

I say, NO. Not a whiney, ummm no, I just got credit cards week ass pos excuse, but NO as in I could, but for your worthless pos ass, its a HELL NO>

Then on another trip, I was feeling good, happy, and a guy was just standing at the station with a smile on his face and has a jar and asks politely.
I am flush with about 700 cash, just flush with 20's, no smalls at all, so there is no way I am popping out my wallet in front of the guy. I go, I'll get you later when I get some change.

He comes up with something witty, like, yeah, I heard that one before to which I reply, "The check is in the mail baby, know what I'm saying." To which he says, "thats what I am talkin about, still with a smile." I go to the BK, then on the way back to the station I have the 20 busted, and toss in the 3 bucks that he was asking for. I say, " I told you I would be back."

Calcountry
02-12-2005, 06:10 PM
Everything is done on a case by case basis. I have no rules to follow, just my gut. For one thing, there is nothing that pisses me off more than some pos black panhandler that thinks I OWE him some goddam money because I am white.

Cue the situation: I was about to throw down on a crowded BART train just to prove the point.

Bitch says, Got any change!?, as in give me some motha fugga with a scoul on his face.

I say, NO. Not a whiney, ummm no, I just got credit cards week ass pos excuse, but NO as in I could, but for your worthless pos ass, its a HELL NO>

Then on another trip, I was feeling good, happy, and a guy was just standing at the station with a smile on his face and has a jar and asks politely.
I am flush with about 700 cash, just flush with 20's, no smalls at all, so there is no way I am popping out my wallet in front of the guy. I go, I'll get you later when I get some change.

He comes up with something witty, like, yeah, I heard that one before to which I reply, "The check is in the mail baby, know what I'm saying." To which he says, "thats what I am talkin about, still with a smile." I go to the BK, then on the way back to the station I have the 20 busted, and toss in the 3 bucks that he was asking for. I say, " I told you I would be back."FWIW, the second guy was black also, Not that it matters or anything.

Phobia
02-12-2005, 06:13 PM
I post this every time a panhandler thread is posted. Heh.

When a panhandler approaches me, before they can open their mouth I ask them for their spare change. It's very confusing for them and they usually walk away.

Calcountry
02-12-2005, 06:25 PM
I post this every time a panhandler thread is posted. Heh.

When a panhandler approaches me, before they can open their mouth I ask them for their spare change. It's very confusing for them and they usually walk away.ROFLTelemarketers are no different than Panhandlers in my book.

To the Charity pitch, I ask, "Are you being paid a salary to do this?"

They will always say yes, then you respond, "If it is such a good cause, how come you are unwilling to donate your time?"

They're done everytime.

Is the owner in, or my name in, when they are talking to me indicates that the dum fugs obviously don't know me otherwise they wouldn't ask that. No customer has ever asked that, but to make it 100% sure, I ask, "Is this a solicitation?" Yes, to which I responde, "sorry the owner is busy right now, or I don't have the time for this, CLICK."

Mr. Laz
02-12-2005, 07:04 PM
You're not my target audience. Go read Marmaduke or something.
You're target audience?? :hmmm:

Mongoloid midgets with an Oedipus complex for $500, Alex

PastorMikH
02-12-2005, 07:05 PM
I gotta go with the Preacher in #22. I know from experience that he probably does need some $ to buy his kids food.

:)

chiefs4me
02-12-2005, 10:05 PM
ROFLTelemarketers are no different than Panhandlers in my book.

To the Charity pitch, I ask, "Are you being paid a salary to do this?"

They will always say yes, then you respond, "If it is such a good cause, how come you are unwilling to donate your time?"

They're done everytime.

Is the owner in, or my name in, when they are talking to me indicates that the dum fugs obviously don't know me otherwise they wouldn't ask that. No customer has ever asked that, but to make it 100% sure, I ask, "Is this a solicitation?" Yes, to which I responde, "sorry the owner is busy right now, or I don't have the time for this, CLICK."

Sometimes I give money to the poor people I see outside the gas station or grocery store. It's usually the ones who don't ask that I give to.

And I always know when a telemarketer is calling...they can't pronounce my name. So I just hang up.:thumb:

jspchief
02-12-2005, 10:21 PM
If hell was feeezing over, I wouldn't waste my piss on a bum to warm him up. I hate bums.

The closest I came to checking a box in the poll was the dog one, but I'd honestly rather throw a can of Horsemeat chunks Alpo at his head.

Slayer Diablo
02-12-2005, 11:18 PM
Panhandling is just a form of welfare...no one should pay into it. Upon reaching adulthood (aw hell, probably before then even) we should completely earn our money, not rely on handouts.

trndobrd
02-13-2005, 03:22 AM
I would give my $30 dollars to the woman with the smudged lipstick covering a coldsore, heels, and torn fishnet stockings showing beneat her pink mini-skirt.

badgirl
02-13-2005, 11:14 AM
I voted for bum #9 but he would have to show me some kind of proof he was a veteran.

I would give money to any veteran that needed it, its a shame we have vets living on the street.

Hell I don't wanna get started on that. Bum #9 wins my vote. :thumb:

teedubya
02-13-2005, 11:22 AM
i read that on a good day, an aggressive panhandler can make upwards of $100 a day... in NYC closer to $250.

Could you imagine all the abuse you would have to take to earn that money? Of course, in sales... every no you get is that much closer to a yes.

seclark
02-13-2005, 12:01 PM
i'd give them all a quarter, then head back to the nuns dressing room for another peek....it's still a pretty cheap thrill.
sec

Calcountry
02-13-2005, 09:55 PM
I voted for bum #9 but he would have to show me some kind of proof he was a veteran.

I would give money to any veteran that needed it, its a shame we have vets living on the street.

Hell I don't wanna get started on that. Bum #9 wins my vote. :thumb:If it really was a vet, and you asked him for proof, he is liable to cut you.

Saulbadguy
02-13-2005, 09:56 PM
None of them.

Calcountry
02-13-2005, 09:56 PM
i read that on a good day, an aggressive panhandler can make upwards of $100 a day... in NYC closer to $250.

Could you imagine all the abuse you would have to take to earn that money? Of course, in sales... every no you get is that much closer to a yes.Tax free too. Too bad the Crack will eat that up by the next day.

Ultra Peanut
02-13-2005, 10:04 PM
And the problem with that is... ?

Mr. Kotter
02-13-2005, 10:09 PM
If she had a nice rack and flashed me?

FloridaChief
02-13-2005, 10:09 PM
If it really was a vet, and you asked him for proof, he is liable to cut you.

Or strangled with piano wire. You know how those ex-Navy Seals are...

Predarat
02-14-2005, 09:03 AM
Ill always willing to give a little to those who admit they are using it for alcohol. #2 gets my vote.

Iowanian
02-14-2005, 09:09 AM
None of them get money.

In Columbia, a beggar once approached my roomate, brother and I and said "got any change for a brotha?"......my brother dug in his pocket, pulled out an empty hand and said "got any change for a Nickle"

thats probably my response.

The exception might be someone with some dirty kids with them.

CosmicPal
02-14-2005, 09:10 AM
There's this old guy who hangs out at University and I-25...he's got a bad limp or one leg shorter than the other. He makes it a point to wave each time and force a smile. I give him a dollar here and there....He's the only one.

The others all look like they're using drugs or just looking for some cash to get out of town. But this old man looks like life just got the best of him and he really has nothing else to do and nowhere to go.

Mr. Kotter
02-14-2005, 09:49 AM
There's this old guy who hangs out at University and I-25...he's got a bad limp or one leg shorter than the other. He makes it a point to wave each time and force a smile. I give him a dollar here and there....He's the only one.

The others all look like they're using drugs or just looking for some cash to get out of town. But this old man looks like life just got the best of him and he really has nothing else to do and nowhere to go.

Mr. Wendal, by chance?

Mr. Wendal, Arrested Development

here have a dollar
in fact now brotherman here have two
two dollars means a snack for me
but it means a big deal to you
be strong serve god only
know that if you do beautiful heaven awaits
that's the poem i wrote for the first time
i saw a man with no cloths, no money, no plate
mr. wendal, that's his name
no one ever knew his name cuz he's a know one