PDA

View Full Version : Walmart.......

Skip Towne
02-13-2005, 06:16 PM
They just built a new distribution center north of Tulsa and it is huge. It has it's own power substation. AND, it has a moat around it. Yes, a moat. Is that strange or what?

Miles
02-13-2005, 06:18 PM
Do they have guys in shinny metal outfits guarding the place?

ck_IN
02-13-2005, 06:20 PM
So I wonder what they feed the moat monsters? Store managers who don't meet a sales quota?

KcMizzou
02-13-2005, 06:21 PM
So I wonder what they feed the moat monsters? Store managers who don't meet a sales quota?Door greeters. I figure 3 or 4 must croak every week. Just toss 'em in the moat.

alanm
02-13-2005, 06:23 PM
Uh oh Skip, Now you've done it!! Don't you know you can never, ever talk about what goes on at the Walmart Dist. center? I think we've heard the last from Skip. He'll just mysteriously dissapear in the middle of the night. :(

Wile_E_Coyote
Do they have wooden rabbits for Easter

BigMeatballDave
Door greeters. I figure 3 or 4 must croak every week. Just toss 'em in the moat.
ROFL

Skip Towne
02-13-2005, 06:29 PM
Yeah, they think they're all safe behind their fancy moat but what they don't know is I'm constructing a small dinghy. I'll breach their so called security.

Rain Man
02-13-2005, 06:31 PM
You have to have some place to toss the feces.

go bo
02-13-2005, 06:31 PM
Yeah, they think they're all safe behind their fancy moat but what they don't know is I'm constructing a small dinghy. I'll breach their so called security.chiefsforme is pretty dinghy...

maybe you could just use her...

go bo
02-13-2005, 06:33 PM
Uh oh Skip, Now you've done it!! Don't you know you can never, ever talk about what goes on at the Walmart Dist. center? I think we've heard the last from Skip. He'll just mysteriously dissapear in the middle of the night. :(ROFL

Rausch
02-13-2005, 06:34 PM
Sam's Choice...It's people! OMG! IT'S PEOPLE!1!

go bo
02-13-2005, 06:34 PM
You have to have some place to toss the feces.hmmmmmmm...

now just why would you thing of that?

have you been throwing things in your office again?

Braincase
02-13-2005, 06:40 PM
More downtowns must be sacrificed for the Empire.

Did the distribution center look more Cylon or more like the Death Star? Or perhaps it looked like the fortress in Krull.

Skip Towne
02-13-2005, 06:50 PM
More downtowns must be sacrificed for the Empire.

Did the distribution center look more Cylon or more like the Death Star? Or perhaps it looked like the fortress in Krull.
The place is absolutely huge. You could fit 10 Supercenters in it at least. If I had a scanner I'd take some pics of it, the substation and the moat. They re-directed and paved a county road to serve it. It has at least 20 docks for semi's to use to load (and unload I presume). I keep thinking there should be a railroad spur nearby. There may be one behind it where you can't see it.

mikey23545
02-13-2005, 07:33 PM
The place is absolutely huge. You could fit 10 Supercenters in it at least. If I had a scanner I'd take some pics of it, the substation and the moat.

If your brain weren't so pot-fogged you'd go to WalMart and buy a really cheap scanner. Problem solved.

Dartgod
02-13-2005, 07:33 PM
So I wonder what they feed the moat monsters? Store managers who don't meet a sales quota?
Duh. Kittens, of course.

Braincase
02-13-2005, 07:38 PM
The place is absolutely huge. You could fit 10 Supercenters in it at least. If I had a scanner I'd take some pics of it, the substation and the moat. They re-directed and paved a county road to serve it. It has at least 20 docks for semi's to use to load (and unload I presume). I keep thinking there should be a railroad spur nearby. There may be one behind it where you can't see it.

KCWolfman
02-13-2005, 07:39 PM
You know, there are no laws protecting Walmart over other companies. The only power they have is the power of the consumer. Don't blame Walmart for wanting a lion's share, blame the consumer who wants to save the money.

Braincase
02-13-2005, 07:41 PM
You know, there are no laws protecting Walmart over other companies. The only power they have is the power of the consumer. Don't blame Walmart for wanting a lion's share, blame the consumer who wants to save the money.

And buy your big screen TV's from Satan... because of the low, low, low, low, low prices!

Raiderhater
02-13-2005, 07:46 PM

Russ is obviously under the influence of the dark side of The Force.

4th and Long
02-13-2005, 07:53 PM
http://img171.exs.cx/img171/8185/frenchman19yw.jpg
Your mother was a hampster and your father smelled of eldeberries!

Now go back to TARGET, you English bed wetting types!

Rausch
02-13-2005, 07:54 PM
If your brain weren't so pot-fogged you'd go to WalMart and buy a really cheap scanner. Problem solved. ROFL

DanT
02-13-2005, 07:59 PM
They just built a new distribution center north of Tulsa and it is huge. It has it's own power substation. AND, it has a moat around it. Yes, a moat. Is that strange or what?

I just heard from a friend whose wife works at a national drugstore chain's regional distribution center near Sacramento that they have a monthly electricity bill there of $200,000.

Skip Towne
02-13-2005, 08:02 PM
If your brain weren't so pot-fogged you'd go to WalMart and buy a really cheap scanner. Problem solved.
And, if you had any sense you would know there aren't any really cheap scanners that are compatible with my webtv. So what is wrong with YOUR brain?

alanm
02-13-2005, 08:03 PM
http://img171.exs.cx/img171/8185/frenchman19yw.jpg
Your mother was a hampster and your father smelled of eldeberries!

Now go back to TARGET, you English bed wetting types!
You realize of course that Target is a French owned company. :)

Rausch
02-13-2005, 08:11 PM

Holy $3it!

:banghead:

Rausch
02-13-2005, 08:14 PM
And, if you had any sense you would know there aren't any really cheap scanners that are compatible with my webtv. So what is wrong with YOUR brain?

Uh, WebTV?...

milkman
02-13-2005, 08:14 PM

Cool, so when the competition decides to take them over, they'll just surrender, right?

Eleazar
02-13-2005, 08:18 PM
ChiefsPlanet has uncovered a well-guarded photo of Skip just before he leaves for work at the new Wal-Mart facility.

KCWolfman
02-13-2005, 08:23 PM
And buy your big screen TV's from Satan... because of the low, low, low, low, low prices!
He says while paying money to the NFL. Now there is a product worth the return.

Rausch
02-13-2005, 08:25 PM
He says while paying money to the NFL. Now there is a product worth the return.

Uh, yeah...

KCWolfman
02-13-2005, 08:28 PM
Check Snopes. That is an urban legend.

Skip Towne
02-13-2005, 08:28 PM
ChiefsPlanet has uncovered a well-guarded photo of Skip just before he leaves for work at the new Wal-Mart facility.
Damn you, Cochise. I'll get you for that. Yes, yes you will pay. (It is funny though)

mikey23545
02-13-2005, 08:29 PM

Point taken.

KCWolfman
Uh, yeah...
Hell, guys were playing for a mere $50,000 a few years ago. Due to the "Satanic" NFL we are pooring hundreds of millions of dollars into the system that gives us absolutely nothing in return.

Rain Man
I don't think I want to know where Cochise got that picture.

Skip Towne
02-13-2005, 08:32 PM
Point taken.
I knew we could reach agreement.

Skip Towne
02-13-2005, 08:33 PM
Hell, guys were playing for a mere $50,000 a few years ago. Due to the "Satanic" NFL we are pooring hundreds of millions of dollars into the system that gives us absolutely nothing in return.
Pooring?

Raiderhater
02-13-2005, 08:35 PM
Pooring?

Well, it's pooring me with every game I attend....

Skip Towne
02-13-2005, 08:38 PM
Well, it's pooring me with every game I attend....
I hadn't thought of that.

Dartgod
02-13-2005, 08:40 PM
Yet, over the last four and a half years you've posted 41,000+ times on a message board dedicated to an NFL franchise.

KCWolfman
02-13-2005, 08:42 PM
Yet, over the last four and a half years you've posted 41,000+ times on a message board dedicated to an NFL franchise.
I don't bitch about Walmart taking from the people either.

I find it to be silly to complain about an entity that offers low prices in a perfectly legal setting while buying into the "NFL experience". At least Walmart gives a product for the purchase.

alanm
02-13-2005, 08:43 PM
Check Snopes. That is an urban legend.
I did Russ and there's nothing there that refutes that it is a French owned conglomerate. That is, I checked under their business heading and there wasn't anything there.

Dartgod
02-13-2005, 08:46 PM

I find it to be silly to complain about an entity that offers low prices in a perfectly legal setting while buying into the "NFL experience". At least Walmart gives a product for the purchase.
Oh, I know. I feel the same way myself. I was just pointing out the irony. Or being a smartass. One of the two...

Raiderhater
02-13-2005, 08:47 PM
Oh, I know. I feel the same way myself. I was just pointing out the irony. Or being a smartass. One of the two...

I lean towards smart ass myself. But that is just me.

Skip Towne
02-13-2005, 08:49 PM

I'm still surprised Walmart hasn't run up against the Justice Dept. They broke up Bell Telephone and Standard Oil. I'm not sure of the legal ramifications but I sure hope they get Walmart stopped at some point before we all find ourselves working for $5.15 per hour.

DanT
02-13-2005, 08:49 PM
I did Russ and there's nothing there that refutes that it is a French owned conglomerate. That is, I checked under their business heading and there wasn't anything there.

Hey, alanm,

On yahoo.com financial, you can get a breakdown of the major holders of publicly-traded companies like the Target Corporation, which trades on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol, TGT. Here's the TGT Major Holders webpage. Given the breakdown of the top holders, the only way that TGT is majority owned by "the French" is if a relatively high number of individual French investors and/or French mutual funds each own relatively small amounts, which I would guess is very unlikely.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/mh?s=TGT

KCWolfman
02-13-2005, 08:53 PM
It must have been removed. Target is owned by Marshall Fields, a US Conglomerate based in Minneapolis.

KCWolfman
02-13-2005, 08:55 PM
I'm still surprised Walmart hasn't run up against the Justice Dept. They broke up Bell Telephone and Standard Oil. I'm not sure of the legal ramifications but I sure hope they get Walmart stopped at some point before we all find ourselves working for $5.15 per hour.
If the entire nation worked for 5.15 an hour, many products would simply cease to exist or drop dramatically in price - more than likely, the latter.

If everyone working for 5.15 an hour meant that new cars dropped back down to 5,000 I would be all for it.

alanm
02-13-2005, 08:56 PM
Hey, alanm,

On yahoo.com financial, you can get a breakdown of the major holders of publicly-traded companies like the Target Corporation, which trades on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol, TGT. Here's the TGT Major Holders webpage. Given the breakdown of the top holders, the only way that TGT is majority owned by "the French" is if a relatively high number of individual French investors and/or French mutual funds each own relatively small amounts, which I would guess is very unlikely.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/mh?s=TGT
Well, Maybe not French. But it looks like the majority of the Top insiders are German. ROFL

Dartgod
02-13-2005, 08:57 PM
I lean towards smart ass myself. But that is just me.
Well, of course. You would know that.

alanm
02-13-2005, 08:59 PM
If the entire nation worked for 5.15 an hour, many products would simply cease to exist or drop dramatically in price - more than likely, the latter.

If everyone working for 5.15 an hour meant that new cars dropped back down to 5,000 I would be all for it.If I could buy a brand new Ford for $3500 like in the early 60's I'm all for it. FWIW the cost of living has far exceeded wages to date.

Skip Towne
02-13-2005, 09:02 PM

If everyone working for 5.15 an hour meant that new cars dropped back down to 5,000 I would be all for it.
If you were making $5.15 an hour you couldn't afford ANY car. You have 4 kids don't you?

KCWolfman
02-13-2005, 09:02 PM
If you were making $5.15 an hour you couldn't afford ANY car. You have 4 kids don't you?
If a car was 5,000, I certainly could.

DanT
02-13-2005, 09:06 PM
It must have been removed. Target is owned by Marshall Fields, a US Conglomerate based in Minneapolis.

Target Corporation sold off Marshall Field's last year. Here's their press release pertaining that sale (dated July 30, 2004). You can find more on their corporate history either at their website or at yahoo.com financial.

http://www.targetcorp.com/targetcorp_group/investor-relations/ir_news.jhtml

MINNEAPOLIS, July 30 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Target Corporation (NYSE: TGT) announced today that it has completed the sale of its Marshall Field's business unit to The May Department Stores Company for approximately $3.2 billion in cash. Substantially all of the assets directly involved in its Marshall Field's business unit, including 62 Marshall Field's stores, three distribution centers and approximately $600 million of Marshall Field's credit card receivables were included in the transaction. All current Marshall Field's team members were offered employment by The May Department Stores Company.

Marshall Field's is a traditional department store that emphasizes fashion leadership, quality merchandise and superior guest service. It is headquartered in Minneapolis, operates 62 stores and employs approximately 25,000 team members in 8 states in the upper Midwest. In 2003, Marshall Field's produced revenues of $2.6 billion and pretax segment profit of $107 million.

Following the sale of Marshall Field's and the pending sale of Mervyn's, Target Corporation will continue to operate Target Stores, a large-store, general-merchandise, discount format currently consisting of 1,272 stores in 47 states, as well as an on-line business called Target.com.

Target Corporation news releases are available at http://www.target.com or http://www.prnewswire.com .

Rain Man
02-13-2005, 09:08 PM

Massive deflation. It's fine for young people, but it would stink if you were holding a mortgage.

Skip Towne
02-13-2005, 09:08 PM
If a car was 5,000, I certainly could.
If the top earners were making $5.15, you would probably be making about $3.00 since you have no education. You'd be driving a '75 Dodge Dart.

KCWolfman
02-13-2005, 09:09 PM
If the top earners were making $5.15, you would probably be making about $3.00 since you have no education. You'd be driving a '75 Dodge Dart.
I wouldn't mind a Dart. At least I wouldn't have to bang the grandmothers of NFL QB's to get one either.

Skip Towne
02-13-2005, 09:24 PM
I wouldn't mind a Dart. At least I wouldn't have to bang the grandmothers of NFL QB's to get one either.
Damn you, I expected a spirited argument and all I get is this? Truthfully, I'd probably be driving a Corvair.

KCWolfman
02-13-2005, 09:32 PM
Damn you, I expected a spirited argument and all I get is this? Truthfully, I'd probably be driving a Corvair.
Only if Granny Roethlisberger was driving and you were in the hood.

Calcountry
02-13-2005, 09:46 PM
Do they have wooden rabbits for EasterNo.:p

Saulbadguy
02-14-2005, 09:04 AM
Wal-Mart (WMT:NYSE - news - research) said Wednesday that it will close a store in Canada where workers were close to establishing the retail giant's first labor union, according to The Associated Press.

The company plans to close the store in Jonquiere, Quebec, because it says union negotiators are making unreasonable demands that threaten the store's business.

Last week, the United Food and Commercial Workers of Canada asked Quebec labor officials to appoint a mediator in its talks with Wal-Mart in hopes that it would help break a logjam in negotiations.

"We were hoping it wouldn't come to this," Wal-Mart spokesman Andrew Pelletier told the AP. "Despite nine days of meetings over three months, we've been unable to reach an agreement with the union that in our view will allow the store to operate efficiently and profitably."

Any success enjoyed by the Canadian union with Wal-Mart could have ultimately impacted the company's business in the U.S. One of Wal-Mart's competitive advantages is low labor costs. That was especially apparent throughout its recent foray into the grocery business, which prompted massive labor strikes across Southern California as traditional grocery chains attempted to cut health and other benefits to their workers in an attempt to compete.

"Is Wal-Mart sending a message here [about organized labor in its stores] ? It's too soon to tell," said Richard Hastings, retail economist with Variant Research. "It's all about expenses, and Wal-Mart is all about expense controls. The unionization of that store ruins the expense budget for that store, so Wal-Mart definitely looks at it as something to eliminate."

ROYC75
02-14-2005, 09:11 AM

OK, don't make fun of one of the most elusive cars in modern history . The Dodge Dart, yes folks, it can literally dart thru traffic and dodge every car in it's path.

Enough said ! :rolleyes:

Iowanian
02-14-2005, 09:24 AM
I wish More companies had the stones to bust their Unions. We'd all save money in the long run.

jspchief
02-14-2005, 09:34 AM
I don't understand why anyone shops at Walmart. They are dirty, disorganized, and full of scumbags.

It's like shopping at a huge garage sale in the bad part of town.

Saulbadguy
02-14-2005, 09:35 AM
I don't understand why anyone shops at Walmart. They are dirty, disorganized, and full of scumbags.

Our isn't too bad. I do quite a bit of shopping there. Its cheap, and its easy to get in and get out of.

Lzen
02-14-2005, 10:18 AM

I can get the same products at a lower price. Pretty simple.

NewChief
02-14-2005, 10:23 AM
The low blow that I've seen from them lately was building that new super center just north of Bella Vista, across the AR/MO state line. They put a separate entrance for the liqour store inside the super center and made it a huge one so they could put good old Macadoodle's out of business. For those that don't know, Macadoodle's is a liqour store that gets an amazing amount of business because it services everyone in the dry counties of NWA.

jspchief
02-14-2005, 10:23 AM
I can get the same products at a lower price. Pretty simple.Yea, it's worth the extra $1.37 for me to shop in a clean, organized store that doesn't hire mongoloids and crank addicts to work the registers.

Saulbadguy
02-14-2005, 10:27 AM
Yea, it's worth the extra $1.37 for me to shop in a clean, organized store that doesn't hire mongoloids and crank addicts to work the registers.
I suppose it depends on how your wal-mart is ran. At the one I go to (and possibly the same one Lzen frequents), it is clean, its well organized, and I don't think there are any mongoloids or crank addicts working the registers.

I don't use the registers though, I use those handy-dandy self checkout things.

Dartgod
02-14-2005, 10:30 AM
Yea, it's worth the extra $1.37 for me to shop in a clean, organized store that doesn't hire mongoloids and crank addicts to work the registers.
You should see if KCChiefsman can get you a job at Applebee's.

jspchief
02-14-2005, 10:32 AM
Both the Target and the WalMart in my area are fairly new. But it's not just "my" Walmart. I'd say that IMO 9 out of 10 Walmarts are dumps compared to the Targets that are near them. Not to mention the trash that shops there...it's like a "Cops" reunion show.

I guess maybe I'm just a Superstore snob.

Baby Lee
02-14-2005, 10:35 AM
My guess is that the moat is part of the fire supression program.

The JCPenney Catalog Distribution Center in Lenexa has a man made 'lake' in front of the executive entrance that is tied to the sprinklers to assure adequate supply in the case of a large scale fire.

Saulbadguy
02-14-2005, 10:39 AM
Both the Target and the WalMart in my area are fairly new. But it's not just "my" Walmart. I'd say that IMO 9 out of 10 Walmarts are dumps compared to the Targets that are near them. Not to mention the trash that shops there...it's like a "Cops" reunion show.

I'd probably go to Target if the Target here was a superstore. You never said anything about the inhabitants of Wal-Mart. I agree for the most part on that.

Lzen
02-14-2005, 10:53 AM

That's what I was thinking. :rolleyes:

Lzen
02-14-2005, 11:08 AM
Actually Saul, I go to both stores at different times. I probably go to the 37th St. store a little more often since it's closer to my work. I see a variety of people in there. It's not just all trailer trash or all uppity people. It’s a mix of people.

The thing I hate about shopping there is that it's always so busy and people just park their asses in the middle of the aisles and don't even bother to move. Or when they put some old woman at the speedy checkout and it took me 15 minutes just to get through the checkout lane. :cuss:

Saulbadguy
02-14-2005, 11:32 AM
Thats why i'm leaning more towards Food 4 Less for my foodstuffs. The aisles are HUGE.

Lzen
02-14-2005, 11:59 AM
Thats why i'm leaning more towards Food 4 Less for my foodstuffs. The aisles are HUGE.

They do have some good deals on stuff a lot of times. And I do shop there sometimes. They are actually the closest to my home. But Walmart is just so convenient because I can get a lot of things there, not just food.

Lzen
02-14-2005, 12:31 PM
15 Things to do at Wal-Mart while your spouse/partner is taking their sweet time:

1. Get 24 boxes of condoms and randomly put them in peoples carts when they aren't looking...

2. Set all the alarm clocks in House wares to go off at 5 minute intervals.

3. Make a trail of tomato juice on the floor leading to the restrooms.

4. Walk up to an employee and tell him/her in an official tone "Code 3 in house wares".....and see what happens.

5. Go the Service Desk and ask to put a bag of M&M's on lay away.

6. Move a 'CAUTION - WET FLOOR' sign to a carpeted area.

7. Set up a tent in the camping department and tell other shoppers you'll invite them in if they'll bring pillows from the bedding department.

8. When a clerk asks if they can help you, begin to cry and ask 'Why can't you people just leave me alone?'

9. Look right into the security camera; use it as a mirror, and pick your nose.

10. While handling guns in the hunting department, ask the clerk if he knows where the anti- depressants are.

11. Dart around the store suspiciously loudly humming the "Mission Impossible" theme.

12. In the auto department, practice your "Madonna look" using different size funnels.

13. Hide in a clothing rack and when people browse through, say "PICK ME!" "PICK ME!"

14. When an announcement comes over the loud speaker, assume the fetal position and scream "NO! NO! It's those voices again!!!!"

( And; last, but not least!)

15. Go into a fitting room and shut the door and wait a while. Then, yell very loudly "There is no toilet paper in here!"

gblowfish
02-14-2005, 12:44 PM
They just built a new distribution center north of Tulsa and it is huge. It has it's own power substation. AND, it has a moat around it. Yes, a moat. Is that strange or what?A MOAT??? A MOAT???? AYE! STORM THE CASTLE!!!!

They've probably got French guys on the top that cast rude insults at intruders about Target and K-Mart...

Lzen
02-14-2005, 12:47 PM
A MOAT??? A MOAT???? AYE! STORM THE CASTLE!!!!

They've probably got French guys on the top that cast rude insults at intruders about Target and K-Mart...

Eh, you're a little late. See post #22. ;)

Dartgod
02-14-2005, 12:49 PM
A MOAT??? A MOAT???? AYE! STORM THE CASTLE!!!!

Ahem....

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=2274784&postcount=22

Dartgod
02-14-2005, 12:51 PM
Eh, you're a little late. See post #22. ;)
Crapola.

Note to self: When making fun of a poster for posting an idea or thought that has already been posted, make sure someone else has not already belittled said poster.

gblowfish
02-14-2005, 03:47 PM
Crapola.

Note to self: When making fun of a poster for posting an idea or thought that has already been posted, make sure someone else has not already belittled said poster.That's OK Dart...great minds think alike. On workdays I bop in and out of the CP and sometimes don't get to read the entiere thread.

So go ahead and bitch slap me. No biggie.

300TD's
02-14-2005, 04:08 PM
A ****ing Moat? must be to keep the union rep's away! lol

KCWolfman
02-14-2005, 07:28 PM

Hardly. Obviously you live in a poor neighborhood with faulty government who doesn't give a damn. Both the SuperWalMart and SuperTarget in Liberty are clean, well organized, and have clean employees.

Bowser
02-14-2005, 07:30 PM
Hardly. Obviously you live in a poor neighborhood with faulty government who doesn't give a damn. Both the SuperWalMart and SuperTarget in Liberty are clean, well organized, and have clean employees.

The SuperTarget is great. I have never had to wait in line at that place. The SuperWalMart is the mother of all cluster****s.

|Zach|
02-14-2005, 07:31 PM
I avoid Wal Mart but do not have a hige problem with it. I usually find myself going when everything else is closed and it is the only place I can get the said item. I am kidn of a night owl and find myself in situations where I need to buy something at 2 in the morning. Wal Mart is the only game in town in that situation.

Skip Towne
02-14-2005, 07:37 PM
My guess is that the moat is part of the fire supression program.

The JCPenney Catalog Distribution Center in Lenexa has a man made 'lake' in front of the executive entrance that is tied to the sprinklers to assure adequate supply in the case of a large scale fire.
Dammit, I don't want to hear explanations like that. Thanks for ruining my thread. It's a MOAT, dammit.

the Talking Can
02-14-2005, 07:38 PM

This isn't particularly relevant, but it was wierd..."Child labor laws" sound like Industrial Revolution era crimes:

link (http://www.nytimes.com/2005/02/12/national/12wage.html?ex=1265864400&en=12fa6925c49373e3&ei=5090&partner=rssuserland)

Wal-Mart Agrees to Pay Fine in Child Labor Cases
By STEVEN GREENHOUSE

Published: February 12, 2005

Wal-Mart Stores, the nation's largest retailer, has agreed to pay $135,540 to settle federal charges that it violated child labor laws in Connecticut, Arkansas and New Hampshire.

Labor Department officials said most of the 24 violations covered by the settlement involved workers under age 18 operating dangerous machinery, including cardboard balers and chain saws. In the agreement, Wal-Mart denied any wrongdoing.

Department officials said that one of the violations was in New Hampshire, three were in Arkansas and 20 were in Connecticut, where the investigation began in 2001. One violation involved a youth who injured his thumb while using a chain saw to cut Christmas trees.

The Labor Department and Wal-Mart signed the agreement on Jan. 6, but made no public announcement. The department disclosed the settlement yesterday after a reporter questioned officials about concerns raised by several department employees that the agreement gave Wal-Mart special favors.

The agreement states, "Compliance with the child labor laws and regulations will be an important factor in evaluating the performance of managers."

A provision also promises to give Wal-Mart 15 days' notice before the Labor Department investigates any other "wage and hour" accusations, like failure to pay minimum wage or overtime.

That provision drew criticism yesterday from Representative George Miller of California, the senior Democrat on the House Education and Workforce Committee. It also prompted complaints from some Labor Department investigators who spoke on the condition of anonymity for fear of retaliation.

"With child labor cases involving the use of hazardous machinery, why give 15 days' notice before we can do an investigation?" asked a district office supervisor who has worked in the wage and hour division for nearly 20 years. "What's the rationale?".....

Pants
02-14-2005, 07:40 PM
I avoid Wal Mart but do not have a hige problem with it. I usually find myself going when everything else is closed and it is the only place I can get the said item. I am kidn of a night owl and find myself in situations where I need to buy something at 2 in the morning. Wal Mart is the only game in town in that situation.

Fo sho.

Skip Towne
02-14-2005, 07:47 PM
The low blow that I've seen from them lately was building that new super center just north of Bella Vista, across the AR/MO state line. They put a separate entrance for the liqour store inside the super center and made it a huge one so they could put good old Macadoodle's out of business. For those that don't know, Macadoodle's is a liqour store that gets an amazing amount of business because it services everyone in the dry counties of NWA.
It's not just the liquor why they built that store in Jane, Mo. It also has to do with the differences in Mo. and Ar. sales taxes. Jane probably doesn't have 300 residents. It's not even listed in my Atlas.

KCWolfman
02-14-2005, 07:54 PM
It's not just the liquor why they built that store in Jane, Mo. It also has to do with the differences in Mo. and Ar. sales taxes. Jane probably doesn't have 300 residents. It's not even listed in my Atlas.
Get a newer one. Mercator stopped making them about 1585. Hint: If it says Beyond here is unknown and sea monsters then you need to update.

Dartgod
02-14-2005, 07:57 PM
Get a newer one. Mercator stopped making them about 1585. Hint: If it says Beyond here is unknown and sea monsters then you need to update.
ROFL Making fun of Skip's age never gets old.

Oooops, did I just say "old"? I crack me up. ROFL

Skip Towne
07-04-2005, 12:17 PM
Now the entire dock area is full of Wal-Mart trailers. They must have a drawbridge around back.

Simplex3
07-04-2005, 12:21 PM
Yeah, but the armor was made out of plastic by some slave labor in China.

tomahawk kid
07-04-2005, 12:36 PM

Actually, I've found the Wal-Mart in Liberty to be like said Cops reunion. Plus, its impossible to get into and out of........

The Super Target up here is very nice though.....

WilliamTheIrish
07-04-2005, 12:44 PM

I noticed that this May when we went down for our annual trip. I'm afraid Mac's going to be in trouble. That's a shame too. It's a great place.

luv
07-04-2005, 12:46 PM
I, too, am a night owl. I like to do most things after I get off of work, which is 1AM. Wal-Mart is much better to go to at 1AM vs 1PM.

chiefs4me
07-04-2005, 01:02 PM
15 Things to do at Wal-Mart while your spouse/partner is taking their sweet time:

1. Get 24 boxes of condoms and randomly put them in peoples carts when they aren't looking...

2. Set all the alarm clocks in House wares to go off at 5 minute intervals.

3. Make a trail of tomato juice on the floor leading to the restrooms.

4. Walk up to an employee and tell him/her in an official tone "Code 3 in house wares".....and see what happens.

5. Go the Service Desk and ask to put a bag of M&M's on lay away.

6. Move a 'CAUTION - WET FLOOR' sign to a carpeted area.

7. Set up a tent in the camping department and tell other shoppers you'll invite them in if they'll bring pillows from the bedding department.

8. When a clerk asks if they can help you, begin to cry and ask 'Why can't you people just leave me alone?'

9. Look right into the security camera; use it as a mirror, and pick your nose.

10. While handling guns in the hunting department, ask the clerk if he knows where the anti- depressants are.

11. Dart around the store suspiciously loudly humming the "Mission Impossible" theme.

12. In the auto department, practice your "Madonna look" using different size funnels.

13. Hide in a clothing rack and when people browse through, say "PICK ME!" "PICK ME!"

14. When an announcement comes over the loud speaker, assume the fetal position and scream "NO! NO! It's those voices again!!!!"

( And; last, but not least!)

15. Go into a fitting room and shut the door and wait a while. Then, yell very loudly "There is no toilet paper in here!"

ROFL.....I have that same list, mine came from a paper called Good Times, where did you get the list at?

excessive
07-04-2005, 01:24 PM
So what would you do?

I was at Walmart yesterday. Had a cart full of grocercies and was scoping the checkouts looking for a quick way out.

I see a open lane and head for it. As I go around the corner, I find myself blocked by the shopper in the rear checkout. He's your typical Johnson County, my life's more important than yours kinda guy.

I say in a normal voice, "Pardon me." No reply. No recognition, and I'm standing 2 feet away, with my cart almost bumping up against his.

Louder this time, "Pardon me, can I get by." No reply.

A third time louder still, "Excuse me, I'd like to get by." Nothing.

I back up, going to pick up ramming speed and smash my way through when he puts the last item on the belt and moves his cart out of the way.

I'm mildly pissed and decide to do an experiment to find out if he's deaf or just an idiot.

As I push my way by, I turn to him and in a normal voice say, "F****ing ***hole."

Nothing. He's either deaf or his head so far stuck up his ass he doesn't hear.

I go to the checkout muttering and shaking my head.

Of course, I've got way too much class to shout in a high class place like Walmart, so I gave it up, chalked him up as so clueless as not to be insulted.

Megbert
07-04-2005, 01:27 PM
Everytime you shop at WalMart a baby dies.

mlyonsd
07-04-2005, 01:33 PM
I refuse to go to Wal-Mart, they're almost single handedly going to ruin our economy.

So as a result I tend to buy all my Chinese made products from other retailers.

excessive
07-04-2005, 01:38 PM
[QUOTE=mlyonsd]I refuse to go to Wal-Mart, they're almost single handedly going to ruin our economy.

Agreed, but I going anyway because it saves me a couple hundred bucks a month on groceries.

I feel sad about the babies dying and the economy going to crap, but, hey, at least I'm getting my chit cheap.

mlyonsd
07-04-2005, 01:41 PM
[QUOTE=mlyonsd]I refuse to go to Wal-Mart, they're almost single handedly going to ruin our economy.

Agreed, but I going anyway because it saves me a couple hundred bucks a month on groceries.

I feel sad about the babies dying and the economy going to crap, but, hey, at least I'm getting my chit cheap.

Remember that when we drop into the next depression and you learn to dig through dumpsters looking for food.

tomahawk kid
07-04-2005, 01:50 PM
I refuse to go to Wal-Mart, they're almost single handedly going to ruin our economy.

So as a result I tend to buy all my Chinese made products from other retailers.

Ditto, but I would think the Gov't would step in before we were all digging through garbage for food.

luv
07-04-2005, 02:00 PM
Y'all are just mad because you didn't buy stock when the company was much smaller. If you want to pay for the gas to get around to all the different stores you need to go to, that's your personal choice. There's two less people I will have to worry about being in front of me in the check-out lane.

Hydrae
07-04-2005, 02:39 PM
A provision also promises to give Wal-Mart 15 days' notice before the Labor Department investigates any other "wage and hour" accusations, like failure to pay minimum wage or overtime.

WTF??? 15 days notice before the feds can come in and investigate? That is crazy!

Also notice that this is not just for times they violate child labor laws but ANY wage and hour accusations. :shake: