PDA

View Full Version : Trevor Pryce on the Trading Block

vailpass
02-14-2005, 12:38 PM
Colin Cowherd reports that Trevor Pryce is being shopped by the Broncos but I bet teams don't line up to take him.

Trevor is scheduled to make huge dollars next year. Before his surgery the Broncos were glad to pay and we really, really, really needed him to shore up our patch-work crappy D-line.

What's weird is that he was supposed to return to the field by Halloween, then November, then the playoffs. He never made it back last year. Something tells me Pryce is damaged goods. Bummer, he was a force.

Brock
02-14-2005, 12:41 PM
Probably be drafting a DE this year, eh?

Cormac
02-14-2005, 12:41 PM
IMO he has long been one of the most over-rated players in the league. Granted, Will Shields says he's the toughest player he faces, and he'd know, but watching games, he's a non-factor most of the time, IMO.

Rain Man
02-14-2005, 12:43 PM
I'm surprised, unless as you say, he's irreparably damaged. Isn't he something like a $9 million cap figure this year for the Broncos? If so, and if he's hurt, maybe he won't last past June 1st.

Losing him would be a big blow to the Broncos, I would think, even if he didn't play last year.

jspchief
02-14-2005, 12:48 PM
Wonder if they're wishing they'd kept Berry now?

vailpass
02-14-2005, 12:59 PM
IMO he has long been one of the most over-rated players in the league. Granted, Will Shields says he's the toughest player he faces, and he'd know, but watching games, he's a non-factor most of the time, IMO.

Reasonable minds can differ but IMHO Pryce was as good a D-Lineman/D-end as there is in the AFC West. The pro-bowl selections don't tell you much but consider the fact that he was double-teamed every play. Opposing d-coordinators game planned for him.
Of course you could argue that the rest of the Bronco D-line sucks so who else would they double team but having watched Trevor develop it seems to me that it's a big loss for Denver if he can no longer perform at his previous level.

And yes, this will probably change the draft strategy to include a stud DE.
Come on Boncos take a chance on the mighty Matt Roth.

Eleazar
02-14-2005, 01:08 PM

The same Berry that I saw playing in the pro bowl last night?

It can't be. Shanarat is a genious and they had an awesome d-line this year.

Phobia
02-14-2005, 01:15 PM
What's weird is that he was supposed to return to the field by Halloween, then November, then the playoffs.

Which makes the TO exploit that much more impressive.

I hate it when a good player gets paid and then goes to shit. There's gotta be some way to structure NFL contracts to prevent that. It happens way too often.

vailpass
02-14-2005, 01:22 PM

I hate it when a good player gets paid and then goes to shit. There's gotta be some way to structure NFL contracts to prevent that. It happens way too often.

No doubt about it, TO is nails.
Trevor's case was a little different in that his was a back injury that required surgery. TO sucked it up and played through pain and I admire that, but no matter how much of a man you want to be a severe back injury is a whole different animal in terms of gutting your way through the pain.

Spicy McHaggis
02-14-2005, 01:36 PM

Have every contract made up entirely of performance clauses? :shrug: I hate that when I see it too. On the plus side we draft before the Donks so if we do go DE we should have a good amount to chose from.

Phobia
02-14-2005, 01:48 PM
No doubt about it, TO is nails.
Trevor's case was a little different in that his was a back injury that required surgery. TO sucked it up and played through pain and I admire that, but no matter how much of a man you want to be a severe back injury is a whole different animal in terms of gutting your way through the pain.

I know. Poor example. I wasn't actually comparing them despite how my post looks.

I'm certain Pryce's injury is legit, but sometimes you have to wonder how much effort a guy with $20,000,000 in the bank is really gonna put forth when it hurts. Ya know?

Taco John
02-14-2005, 01:54 PM

You're a moron.

Brock
02-14-2005, 01:56 PM
You're a moron.

And you're not?

Garcia Bronco
02-14-2005, 01:57 PM
We couldn't afford to keep him because of the cap.

vailpass
02-14-2005, 03:05 PM
I know. Poor example. I wasn't actually comparing them despite how my post looks.

I'm certain Pryce's injury is legit, but sometimes you have to wonder how much effort a guy with $20,000,000 in the bank is really gonna put forth when it hurts. Ya know?

I hear ya' loud and clear. The h@ll of it is if you don't pay them someone else will, so teams are sometimes forced to take that gamble. A pay-for-performance type of contract where you don't get your $ until the season ends would be nice but the NFLPA would never stand for it.
At least football contracts aren't gauranteed (except signing bonus$).

Iowanian
02-14-2005, 03:08 PM
Keep your damn, dirty donk mitts off of Matt Roth.

cdcox
02-14-2005, 03:28 PM
We couldn't afford to keep him because of the cap.

Since when do the Broncos let a little thing like the salary cap get in their way?

Cormac
02-14-2005, 03:38 PM
Reasonable minds can differ but IMHO Pryce was as good a D-Lineman/D-end as there is in the AFC West. The pro-bowl selections don't tell you much but consider the fact that he was double-teamed every play. Opposing d-coordinators game planned for him.
Of course you could argue that the rest of the Bronco D-line sucks so who else would they double team but having watched Trevor develop it seems to me that it's a big loss for Denver if he can no longer perform at his previous level.

Fair enough, and this is what I hear/read about him all the time. He just doesn't seem to make game-changing plays, IMO.

JMO.

Cormac
02-14-2005, 03:39 PM
You're a moron.

Wow. I'm convinced :rolleyes:

Hercules Rockefell
02-14-2005, 03:39 PM
What's weird is that he was supposed to return to the field by Halloween, then November, then the playoffs. He never made it back last year. Something tells me Pryce is damaged goods. Bummer, he was a force.

Yeah but just about every doctor either Denver paper talked to said most people take 6 months or so to recover from the type of surgery Pryce had. They thought he could be back by Halloween because he was an athlete, not because it was the normal recovery time for his injury.

300TD's
02-14-2005, 04:06 PM
And you're not?
he is! A TACO EATING one at athat.

stevieray
02-14-2005, 04:16 PM
Trevor used to be a stud, but hasn't produced ever since he was called out by Shamalam.

vailpass
02-14-2005, 05:25 PM
Keep your damn, dirty donk mitts off of Matt Roth.

Born and raised in Cedar Rapids. Lived in Mayflower my freshman year. Eaten more 2:00 a.m. gyros from the vendor on Market street than any man I know. Went to my first game at Kinnick in 1975 and sat through many seasons of "three yards and a cloud of dust" until Sir Hayden arrived.
Went to basketball games at the old Fieldhouse; shot hoops at halftime at the backboards behind the bleachers then went back and watched Krafsicin and Waite and Boyle and Arnold and Lester and Brookins tear it up.
Wtched Gable's boys demolish opponent after opponent in the old Fieldhouse. The brothers Banach, Zaleski, Davis, et al.
A Bronco I may be but never question my right to lay claim to the title of Hawkeye.

:IA: :dom: :IA: :dom:

vailpass
02-14-2005, 05:26 PM
Fair enough, and this is what I hear/read about him all the time. He just doesn't seem to make game-changing plays, IMO.

JMO.

I hear ya'. Like I said, reasonable minds can differ and we both have our opinions on this one.

vailpass
02-14-2005, 05:30 PM
Yeah but just about every doctor either Denver paper talked to said most people take 6 months or so to recover from the type of surgery Pryce had. They thought he could be back by Halloween because he was an athlete, not because it was the normal recovery time for his injury.

Then why do you think the Broncos are suddenly putting him up for trade bait? He is far and asay their best D lineman. It isn't just the $; they will have to pay big $ to a stud Lineman no matter who they get.

I hope you are right and Trevor comes back at full strength. He was never a prima donna, respected the game, always went 100% on every play and was a solid off-field citizen.
I hope the best for a guy like that no matter where he plays.

morphius
02-14-2005, 05:34 PM
Maybe they can pull off a trade and get a star RB so that they don't have to do RBbInjury next year...

Bowser
02-14-2005, 05:35 PM
Then why do you think the Broncos are suddenly putting him up for trade bait? He is far and asay their best D lineman. It isn't just the $; they will have to pay big $ to a stud Lineman no matter who they get.

I hope you are right and Trevor comes back at full strength. He was never a prima donna, respected the game, always went 100% on every play and was a solid off-field citizen.

Is he in Shanny's doghouse for not making the field down the stretch?

vailpass
02-14-2005, 05:49 PM
Is he in Shanny's doghouse for not making the field down the stretch?

Good question; that's always a possibility although Trevor's work ethic has been solid to this point.
I don't know any of those "insider" 'friend-of-a-guy-who-knows-a-dude' people who can give the real scoop. Although I have been out in LoDo and seen John Elway drinking beers and smoking Marlboro Lights.

Hercules Rockefell
02-14-2005, 06:21 PM

I would bet that they went to Pryce to restructure and he refused, and that is one of the main things driving it. I think this would be the 3rd straight year he would have the highest base salary on the team, and he hasn't restructured the previous two. With the amount of restructuring Shanahan does, there's no way you can say he hadn't been approach to. 3rd strike and he's out.

Also if they're really moving to the 3-4, you're not expecting the DEs to rush as much, more occupy blockers. You don't need a guy making a ton of money to do that.

stevieray
02-14-2005, 06:26 PM
and smoking Marlboro Lights.

Stress?

Bowser
02-14-2005, 06:29 PM
I would bet that they went to Pryce to restructure and he refused, and that is one of the main things driving it. I think this would be the 3rd straight year he would have the highest base salary on the team, and he hasn't restructured the previous two. With the amount of restructuring Shanahan does, there's no way you can say he hadn't been approach to. 3rd strike and he's out.

Also if they're really moving to the 3-4, you're not expecting the DEs to rush as much, more occupy blockers. You don't need a guy making a ton of money to do that.

Why would they Donks go to the 3-4? Just to get Terry Pierce on the field?

htismaqe
02-14-2005, 06:49 PM

If they really are moving to a 3-4, they should keep Pryce. IMO, he's perfectly suited to play DE in a 3-4.

htismaqe
02-14-2005, 06:50 PM

They have been reportedly considering it since the end of the season. They're obsessed with stopping the Colts...

Hercules Rockefell
02-14-2005, 07:00 PM
If they really are moving to a 3-4, they should keep Pryce. IMO, he's perfectly suited to play DE in a 3-4.

I think everyone assumed that until the Den Post article today, and Pryce's agent hinted that TP apparently wasn't a good 3-4 fit on one of Denver's radio stations.

This really seems like more of a cap move to me then a bad fit in their new scheme. They're not in cap trouble, but he's got a huge contract and they'd like to get rid of it for any value they can. His number is over $9M next year, and should go over $10M each of the next 3 seasons after that.

Saulbadguy
02-14-2005, 07:02 PM
Of course. :D

Bowser
02-14-2005, 07:08 PM
Of course. :D

Heh.

:homer:

Hercules Rockefell
02-14-2005, 07:12 PM

Pierce or Sykes or Chukwarh (or however you spell his name). 1 of those 3.

and of course it is supposed to be the formation that Peyton can't dissect.

Bowser
02-14-2005, 07:16 PM

It might help if you had Belichick and Romeo Crennel, as well. ;)

Hercules Rockefell
02-14-2005, 07:21 PM
We have Shanahan and his revolving door of D-coordinators. We don't need that.

milkman
02-14-2005, 07:32 PM

And it would really help if you're physical at the line with the receivers, lay the wood on them when the ball gets to them, and put pressure on Pussyton, so that he gets rid of the ball quicker than usual, cause he doesn't like taking hits.

Hercules Rockefell
02-14-2005, 07:40 PM
That's obvious to anyone but the people who develop Denver's defensive schemes.

milkman
02-14-2005, 07:42 PM
That's obvious to anyone but the people who develop Denver's defensive schemes.

If this is in response to my post, then it seems that it's only obvious to the Pats and Jags, from what I've seen.