PDA

View Full Version : Must've been the efense...

jynni
02-14-2005, 12:41 PM
I received this little story in my email - has anyone else ever heard it?

Famous Moments in NFL History

George Ramon

Last week Jeff Gladstone was reminiscing about his tenure as an equipment manager of the Philadelphia Eagles in the 1970's when Dick Vermeil was head coach. During a road trip against the New Orleans Saints, Gladstone recounted the funniest hot-air tale I have ever heard. Here is the story:

”A constant traveling companion with our team during the 1979 season was Bobby. Bobby was in his late 20's and he suffered from Down's syndrome. He is a wonderful person.

One warm September weekend the Eagles traveled to New Orleans to play the Saints. Bobby traveled with us even though he was suffering from a terrible stomach virus.

I was one of the equipment mangers for the team and Bobby helped us out, his father was a big coporate sponsor with the team so Bobby, a fanatical fan, was a constant companion and helper/runner.

Bobby usually took the team's warmups back into the lockeroom and would then come out and sit with us on the bench. This day Bobby was pretty sick so I told him that after taking the warmups into the locker room that he should just stretch out and rest until the game was over.

The game went very badly for the Eagles this day. We scored like 6 points in the first half on our way to getting beat by like 38.

The team came back into the lockeroom after getting crushed and Vermeil began to vent his spleen over the horrible way the team had played. I was busy taking care of post game manager jobs. I saw that Bobby was in the row of stalls behind where Coach Vermeil was standing but I kept on doing my job.

The old coach was pretty upset at the players and he continued to yell and scream. During a moment of silence between tirades Bobby released one of the loudest and longest periods of flatulence that I have ever heard, at least 20 seconds followed by a putrid cloud that settled over the room wiping out all in attendance. When Bobby finished he said (in the voice of a Down's syndrome victim) ‘Oooooh that feel better’.

The assistant coaches stepped back into a hallway so Vermeil couldn't see them crack up. Most of the players were shaking with silent laughter, not wanting the head coach to know they were laughing. I had to throw a towel to every player so they could cover their face not only to hide their laughter but also to help them recover from the deadly cloud. I then joined the assistant coaches in the hall way laughing.

Coach Vermeil finished quickly after this release of noxious gas. I never knew for sure but I figure he left the locker room to laugh like the rest of us did as soon as he left.

When Bobby came out of the stall he was greeted with a huge round of applause from the players and assistant coaches. We were very angry and hurt at the way we were beaten but Bobby gave us a laugh with his flatulence that I will never forget.”

Rain Man
02-14-2005, 12:45 PM
And ladies and gentlemen, little Bobby grew up to be a productive citizen and today you know him as Iowanian.

Lzen
02-14-2005, 12:46 PM
Funny story. ROFL

unlurking
02-14-2005, 12:57 PM
And ladies and gentlemen, little Bobby grew up to be a productive citizen and today you know him as Iowanian.
ROFL