PDA

View Full Version : Burgers - Who's got the best of 'em?

Braincase
02-14-2005, 01:23 PM
Took my youngest daughter to the Jayhawks v. Buffs game last Saturday, and we popped into 75th Street Brewery for a bite prior. I ordered the Bleu Burger - fresh garden, bleu cheese crumbles and a hot sauce, I'm guessing Trappey's. Wow. I'm not always big on burgers, but damn, that's a good burger.

What's your favorite?

Alton deFlat
02-14-2005, 01:27 PM
I like burgers with blue cheese crumbles on them. One of the better burgers I've had was at Alice Cooperstown in Phoenix. I don't remember the name of it. It was named after someone who played for the Diamondbacks.

Rausch
02-14-2005, 01:29 PM
As far as big chains I'd go with Old Chicago, then Backyard Burger, then Hardees...

Kris Kringle
02-14-2005, 01:29 PM
Red Robin has several kick ass burgers. Persoanlly, I like the Blue Ribbon burger. It has blue cheese crumbles, chipotle sauce and onion straws on it. :drool:

beavis
02-14-2005, 01:30 PM
As far as big chains I'd go with Old Chicago, then Backyard Burger, then Hardees...
Dude, that Monster Burger is just wrong...

Rausch
I'm sure the name will change since he's been traded to the Yankees now, but they used to have a hot dog there named The Big Unit.

I refused to order it.

Yeah, right. You're the guy who swears by "Homo-burger."

Braincase
I also need to pimp my hometown burger joint. When your passing through Salina, and you want everybody you meet to know where you've eaten, you gotta get a dozen Cozie's. The Cozy Inn - ZepSinger, where you at? I know you snarfed down some Cozy's!

Baby Lee
02-14-2005, 01:31 PM
Took my youngest daughter to the Jayhawks v. Buffs game last Saturday, and we popped into 75th Street Brewery for a bite prior. I ordered the Bleu Burger - fresh garden, bleu cheese crumbles and a hot sauce, I'm guessing Trappey's. Wow. I'm not always big on burgers, but damn, that's a good burger.

What's your favorite?
Ruby Tuesdays has a similar burger, blue cheese, romaine, bacon, and chipotle sauce. Very good.

Best burgers in St. Louis are three places [each who feature the blue cheese burger]. Blueberry Hill, O'Connells, and Dooley's.

dirk digler
My favorite burger comes from the Westport Flea Market. If you have never had on of theirs you have to try it. They are the best and biggest in IMO. They offer a 5.5oz or a huge 10oz burger.

Megbert
I like fatburger for a chain. Then locally(PHX) there are some bars called "The Dirty Drummer" that put some redwine in the hamburger, makes for mighty tasty burger. In and Out are pretty good too.

Beatlemanu
02-14-2005, 01:33 PM
Red Robin has a good one. I think it's called the whiskey bbq burger with shoestring onions...mmm...now I'm hungry again...

BigMeatballDave
02-14-2005, 01:33 PM
I was surprised at how good Hardees new line of burgers are.

Baby Lee
02-14-2005, 01:34 PM
Rausch - just noticed your sig. How long you known FPM? Caught them several times in concert in the mid-90s. Have the Pointessentials Volume I they were on [great limited release CD of local music, sells for $50 plus at Vintage Vinyl]. Brings back great memories of; November 9th, Gravity Kills, The Urge, etc.

Beatlemanu
02-14-2005, 01:35 PM
I like fatburger for a chain.

Fatburger is pretty good, they have the egg burger thingy, gave me the shits, but it was damn good... :rolleyes:

Phobia
02-14-2005, 01:35 PM
My favorite burger comes from the Westport Flea Market. If you have never had on of theirs you have to try it. They are the best and biggest in IMO. They offer a 5.5oz or a huge 10oz burger.

Yeah - stevieray turned me on to that place. Good burgers. Expensive beer.

I think it's tough to beat my own special burgers though. Heh.

Rausch
02-14-2005, 01:37 PM
Rausch - just noticed your sig. How long you known FPM? Caught them several times in concert in the mid-90s. Have the Pointessentials Volume I they were on [great limited release CD of local music, sells for $50 plus at Vintage Vinyl]. Brings back great memories of; November 9th, Gravity Kills, The Urge, etc.

When I went it was first FPM, then The Urge, then Our Lady Peace. OLP was much better live than I would have expected. Stayed around after the show, gave autos, and drank their azzes off with the many who stayed the extra half hour at the blue note 'till it closed.

The Urge was ok, not great. FPM was tits. The lead singer was all over the ****ing stage, (young) Eddie Veddar style...

Donger
02-14-2005, 01:37 PM
Fast food joints?

Backyard Burger
Carl's
In and Out

bkkcoh
02-14-2005, 01:38 PM
<a href=" http://www.thelantern.com/news/2001/05/02/MasticatingInPublic/Thurman.Burger.meats.Carnivores.Culinary.Needs-74929.shtml" target="_blank">LINK</a>

“Watching Hank eat the Thurman Burger was like watching birth in reverse — and almost as appetizing.”

Truly, while the grotesque spectacle of me man-handling the uber-burger might have looked awful to Quinn, the taste was absolutely incredible.

For those who aren’t already regulars, this week’s review is on the Thurman Café, located on 183 Thurman Ave. in German Village.

The Thurman Burger represents the flagship of this family owned bar, served “overloaded with ham, mozzarella and American cheese, lettuce, tomato, mushrooms, sautéed onions, pickle, peppers and mayo.”

Towering at over six-inches tall, it’s easily twice the size of the Wendy's triple and enough to cut three years off your life. Three years you’d probably spend in a nursing home anyway; the Thurman Burger is worth it!

While the flavoring of the meats, cheeses, onions and mushrooms blended perfectly together with the regular ingredients, the ‘shroom-juice and grease meant the bun was strictly for decoration only.

Between you and me, let’s just say there was a T-shirt in desperate need of washing after the whole affair. In my defense, I was the only member of our Masticating Team to eat my burger with my bare hands. The rest of these man-children used forks and knives, eating theirs open-faced. What ninnies.

Quinn ordered the Jaeger Burger and was similarly ecstatic, writing, “The Jaeger Burger is brilliant. French Onion Dip on an open-faced burger with mushrooms and onions, the combination is spectacular.” Come to think of it, there aren’t many ordinary dishes that couldn’t be improved by adding a massive hunk of burger on it. Salads, rice cakes and bean curd are prime candidates.

The Macedonian Burger was yet another innovative beef product sampled that evening. This huge burger comes served on Texas toast with sweet red peppers, lettuce, tomato, onion, mayo and fries. Nishanta devoured it, writing, “This burger had a great new texture and the sweet peppers add a lot! While it made for an interesting taste, I wouldn’t suggest it to people who take their burgers straight. The sweetness was just too different.”

Jarrod ordered the Thurmandelphia Steak Sub and, like Clarence Carter before him, was completely “sassified.”

The menu lists it as “our special beef and lamb blend grilled with mushrooms, American and mozzarella cheese, lettuce, tomato, sautéed onions, peppers, mayo and Italian dressing.”

Jarrod remarked, “This burger was very tasty, but like all their sandwiches, too big to eat cleanly. It’s a good thing I’ve honed my eating skills on the La Bamba Super Burrito, or I wouldn’t have stood a chance. Overall, it was a great cheese steak taken on a massive scale.”

Jarrod was being modest. He deep-throated that big ol' thang quicker than a hoochie bar girl with half the mess and nary a gag.

The Thurman Café also offers a wide menu of appetizers.

You want buffalo wings? They have an order of 12 whole wings for six bucks that knocks BW3s on its butt. Since Thurman’s wings are twice the size of industry standard wings, you in effect get 25-cent wings any day of the week. Quinn writes, “The hot sauce has a good kick but remains flavorful enough to enjoy.” They’re simply big, juicy, liberally-sauced pieces of buffalo joy.

Jarrod ordered a combo basket of Thurman steak fries and onion rings and commented, “The fries were wonderful and not too greasy. The onion rings were a tad too greasy, but the onions were so tender I’ll let it slide. It was great. I could dine without the fear of prematurely pulling the onion from the breading.” Surely a huge weight off the poor man's shoulders.

Nis

Alton deFlat
02-14-2005, 01:38 PM
ROFL ROFL

Check out the menu (http://www.alicecooperstown.com/menu/index.htm#burgers) from Alice Cooperstown. They have a burger named after Whitlock.

Baby Lee
02-14-2005, 01:42 PM
When I went it was first FPM, then The Urge, then Our Lady Peace. OLP was much better live than I would have expected. Stayed around after the show, gave autos, and drank their azzes off with the many who stayed the extra half hour at the blue note 'till it closed.

The Urge was ok, not great. FPM was tits. The lead singer was all over the ****ing stage, (young) Eddie Veddar style...
Ever catch, what?
Sun Sawed in Half
Suede Chain
The Finns
Bottle Rockets
Colony

St. Louis had a great music scene for a while there.

I don't know if I'd said it here before, but I hung out quite a bit with Todd Painter, the original trombonist for The Urge, back at Truman. Saw him at Home Depo out in the county a couple of months ago. He now plays weddings.

Pitt Gorilla
02-14-2005, 01:51 PM
I was surprised at how good Hardees new line of burgers are.Hardee's burgers really are good. They're my favorite for a chain. The Flat Branch Burger here in C-town is quite good as well. Chokes 'n cheese on the burger make it outstanding.

Alton deFlat
02-14-2005, 01:53 PM
For those with a BIG appetite, try the 2 pounder at Fat & Happy's in Joplin, MO.

Eleazar
02-14-2005, 01:57 PM
Without a doubt the best burger I ever found was from a little greasy spoon restaurant in northeast Missouri along highway 36. When I was a kid my grandma used to work there.

The place actually isn't there anymore, and maybe I am romanticizing it in my head or something, but damn... it's been 10 or 15 years and I can't remember eating a burger like the ones they had there ever since.

Kclee
02-14-2005, 01:58 PM
IN-N-OUT

kc rush
02-14-2005, 02:04 PM
Westport Flea Market. The best burgers in KC hands down.

Red Robin and Culvers are pretty good too.

BIG_DADDY
02-14-2005, 02:22 PM
Get the best smoked bacon you can find and get 4 pieces per pound of ground meat. Get a pound of ground beef and ground pork and mix it together. Chop up bacon and then fry it till it's done but not crispy. Mix it with your ground meats and add a little of your favorite BBQ sauce.

Grill this and top with asiago cheese and you favorite condiments. It's the bomb I guarantee it. My family requests this every year at our family reunion.

teedubya
02-14-2005, 02:26 PM
Sams Highway Hamburger - Butler Missouri

Iowanian
02-14-2005, 02:28 PM
The Best Burger I can think of was at the Bucksnort Saloon South of Denver in the boonies. "the Bucksnort burger" was advertised as the biggest, messiest......burger on th planet". It probably had 1/4lb of mushrooms alone.

teedubya
02-14-2005, 02:34 PM
For those with a BIG appetite, try the 2 pounder at Fat & Happy's in Joplin, MO.

that is fuggin disgusting looking.

dirk digler
02-14-2005, 03:31 PM
Yeah - stevieray turned me on to that place. Good burgers. Expensive beer.

I think it's tough to beat my own special burgers though. Heh.

I hate to ask what is in your own special burger. I bet it is topped with a white creamy garnish.

Alton deFlat
02-14-2005, 03:52 PM
Get the best smoked bacon you can find and get 4 pieces per pound of ground meat. Get a pound of ground beef and ground pork and mix it together. Chop up bacon and then fry it till it's done but not crispy. Mix it with your ground meats and add a little of your favorite BBQ sauce.

Grill this and top with asiago cheese and you favorite condiments. It's the bomb I guarantee it. My family requests this every year at our family reunion.

I'm going to give that a try. Sounds good! You add the BBQ sauce before grilling, right?

memyselfI
02-14-2005, 03:59 PM
This hole in the wall dump called "Paul's Drive-in" off 7th and Osage in KC, KS. Great and CHEAP 'burger baskets' but taking to go is recommended. The area where it sits is a D-U-M-P.

Boyceofsummer
02-14-2005, 04:21 PM
I also need to pimp my hometown burger joint. When your passing through Salina, and you want everybody you meet to know where you've eaten, you gotta get a dozen Cozie's. The Cozy Inn - ZepSinger, where you at? I know you snarfed down some Cozy's!

Buy-em and eat-em by the sack.

BIG_DADDY
02-14-2005, 04:23 PM
I'm going to give that a try. Sounds good! You add the BBQ sauce before grilling, right?

Just a little otherwise your burger breaks up. I like something really smokey. That asiago cheese is the bomb on burgers.

Boyceofsummer
02-14-2005, 04:24 PM
http://www.seabrooktavern.com/hamburger_tour.htm

Need I say more?

BIG_DADDY
02-14-2005, 04:26 PM

Need I say more?

You commies should eat more of those so the world can be done with ya faster. Why don't you order a few sides of bacon to go with that.

Miles
02-14-2005, 04:37 PM
I rarely eat burgers anymore but my favorite is probably from a Houston area chain called Skeeter's Mesquite Grill. Great smoked flavor.

2bikemike
02-14-2005, 06:39 PM
Chilis has the build your own burger and they can be pretty good. I like the peppercorn burger patty with onion straws, bacon and blue cheese crumbles. Of course you gotta have the lettuce and tomato as well.

stevieray
02-14-2005, 06:45 PM

:thumb:

Abba-Dabba
02-14-2005, 06:53 PM
Red Robin has several kick ass burgers. Persoanlly, I like the Blue Ribbon burger. It has blue cheese crumbles, chipotle sauce and onion straws on it. :drool:

I like the Banzai burger. The sweetness of the pineapple meshing with the saltyness od ground beef are fantastic.

Saulbadguy
02-14-2005, 06:56 PM

Need I say more?
I live about a mile away from that place. Never actually been in there though. They call that the "Speck" burger or something.

the Talking Can
02-14-2005, 07:23 PM
IN-N-OUT

best fast food burger hands down...I'd vote for the most right-wing republican governor imaginable if they'd promise to recuit IN-N-OUT to Kansas

2bikemike
02-14-2005, 07:26 PM
best fast food burger hands down...I'd vote for the most right-wing republican governor imaginable if they'd promise to recuit IN-N-OUT to Kansas

We have IN-N-OUT here and I don't really care for them. I guess if it came down to them or McDonalds or Jack in The box. I would pick IN-N-OUT.

badgirl
02-14-2005, 09:07 PM
The best burger in the nation is Stumppys on the grill, mmmmmm, good.

His own special burger, everyone in this house loves them :p

Jmart
02-14-2005, 10:11 PM
Hodads, Ocean Beach, California. Can't beat em.

Boyceofsummer
02-14-2005, 11:24 PM
You commies should eat more of those so the world can be done with ya faster. Why don't you order a few sides of bacon to go with that.

Your Homey Burger appears to bust the budget. Just the way you like-em Big Daddy.

Bush Sends $81.9 Bln War Spending Plan to Congress

24 minutes ago Top Stories - Reuters

By Adam Entous

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Bush (news - web sites) sent Congress on Monday an $81.9 billion package to fund military operations in Iraq (news - web sites) and Afghanistan (news - web sites), pushing the total bill for both conflicts to nearly $300 billion and the budget deficit to a record high.

Reuters Photo

AP Photo
Slideshow: Bush Proposes $2.57T Budget

Bush urged Congress to "move quickly" to approve the funding plan and said it would help train Iraqis to take over security duties so U.S. troops could return home.

The package includes $74.9 billion for the Defense Department, and earmarks $17.3 billion to upgrade Army equipment and provide armor plating for all convoy trucks, a frequent target of insurgents in Iraq.

The rest of the request will be used to boost aid to the Palestinians, to reward war-on-terrorism allies Pakistan and Poland, and to fund the U.S. pledge of $950 million for reconstruction in Asian nations devastated by the December tsunami.

The White House acknowledged that the $81.9 billion request would push the federal deficit to a record $427 billion for fiscal 2005, and White House spokesman Scott McClellan said, "We don't know what the cost will be going forward."

Bush is expected to request another war-funding package for 2006, after omitting money for that purpose from his budget request earlier this month.

The major initiatives in the package include:

* $5.7 billion to accelerate the training and equipping of Iraqi security forces to fight an insurgency that continues almost two years after the 2003 invasion. The money is so Iraqis "can assume greater responsibility for their own security and our troops can return home," Bush said, but he set no timetable.

* $2 billion for Afghanistan, including $500 million to combat the drug trade, $800 million for reconstruction and economic development, $400 million for police training, and $280 million for "democracy and governance" programs, the State Department said.

* In Iraq, which has the world's largest U.S. embassy, $690 million would pay for security and logistics at the current embassy compound; another $658 million would fund a new embassy.

* $950 million for humanitarian relief and reconstruction in Asian nations devastated by December's tsunami, a $600 million increase from money already allocated for the region. Of that, $24 million will pay for the development of an early tsunami warning system.

* $400 million for nations that have sent troops to Iraq and Afghanistan, as a reward for them taking "political and economic risks."

* $200 million for the Palestinians. Bush has promised another $150 million in his fiscal 2006 budget. Officials left open the possibility of providing some aid directly to the Palestinian Authority (news - web sites).

* $242 million in response to the crisis in Darfur, including food aid and refugee assistance.

Also, Bush included $60 million to aid Ukraine and its new president. Pakistan would get $150 million. Jordan would get $300 million in economic and security assistance.

RECORD FUNDING

Bush's $81.9 billion request will push funding for military operations in Iraq and Afghanistan to a record $105 billion for fiscal year 2005 alone, including $25 billion in emergency spending already approved.

The new money will supplement the Pentagon (news - web sites) budget, which totals more than $400 billion.

At nearly $300 billion, the total for Iraq and Afghanistan is almost half what the United States spent for the entire Vietnam War, in 2005 dollars.

The White House said $12 billion in new money would be used to repair, refurbish and buy military equipment, including $3.3 billion for vehicle armor and night vision equipment and $5.3 billion to restructure three brigades deploying to Iraq.

The request is expected to be approved by lawmakers despite concerns in the U.S. Congress about record federal budget deficits.

A group of moderate and conservative Democrats called the Blue Dog Coalition said in a statement they recognize "we must support our troops, but the Congress cannot continue to write blank checks."

Asked whether the $81.9 billion would be enough, John Pike, a defense analyst with GlobalSecurity.org, said: "It really depends on ... whether the insurgency grows or whether we've managed to contain it."

Before the invasion, then-White House budget director Mitch Daniels had predicted Iraq would be "an affordable endeavor," and Deputy Defense Secretary Paul Wolfowitz assured Congress: "We are dealing with a country that can really finance its own reconstruction and relatively soon."
(Additional reporting by Anna Willard, Andrea Shalal-Esa, Deborah Zabarenko and Steve Holland)