PDA

View Full Version : What to do?

Skip Towne
02-14-2005, 07:02 PM
I went to a customer's house today and when he opened the door this horrible smell hit me in the face. It would gag a maggot. The place was absolutely filthy and there was barely enough room to walk around because of dirty clothes and trash. I could even smell that rancid odor through closed windows when I was outside. There were 4 small children wandering around geting in my way as well. The question is: Do I turn them in to Child Protective Services? I really hate to see kids have to grow up in that squalor.

Abba-Dabba
02-14-2005, 07:04 PM
Umm, yes. Kids are probaly living with dogshit on the floor and he is get his dish, or what the **** ever.

Rain Man
02-14-2005, 07:09 PM
Call anonymously.

Or just send pastormikh a PM and ask him to clean up his house.

DenverChief
02-14-2005, 07:11 PM
Call the Health Dept let them do some investigating and then let them make the call to CPS

Bowser
02-14-2005, 07:14 PM
I second the call anonymously motion. There could be a dead animal buried in the filth, for all you know. Definitely not so healthy for young ones. Nasty.

2bikemike
02-14-2005, 07:15 PM
I agree those folks need to be turned in.

2bikemike
02-14-2005, 07:16 PM
I second the call anonymously motion. There could be a dead animal buried in the filth, for all you know. Definitely not so healthy for young ones. Nasty.

Shit there could be a dead person in there. Maybe ol granny died and they are to attached to let her go.

DenverChief
02-14-2005, 07:16 PM
Shit there could be a dead person in there. Maybe ol granny died and they are to attached to let her go.
ROFL

Bowser
02-14-2005, 07:18 PM

I just had a flashback of Chevy Chase putting his dead aunt on top of the family truckster in Vacation.

stumppy
02-14-2005, 07:20 PM
Skip, you really need to call it in. Hell, e-mail me the address and I'll call it in.

Pants
02-14-2005, 07:23 PM
Do the right thing Skip. Think of the little ones.

Rain Man
02-14-2005, 07:25 PM
Another bit of advice. Wait a couple of weeks before you call it in. No sense in having them know you did it.

(Yes, I'm a coward. But I'm a coward who's not afraid to admit it.)

(Actually, that's not true. I am kind of afraid to admit it. That's part of why I'm a coward.)

Skip Towne
02-14-2005, 07:27 PM
Skip, you really need to call it in. Hell, e-mail me the address and I'll call it in.
I may take you up on that. I figure they'll know it's me but I don't care. It wasn't a dead smell. I know what rotting flesh smells like. I had a herd of Angora goats and I smelled that all the time. This horrible smell was not something I had smelled before and I hope I never do again. The customers seemed to think it was normal. Bleeeccchh!

Rain Man
02-14-2005, 07:34 PM
I may take you up on that. I figure they'll know it's me but I don't care. It wasn't a dead smell. I know what rotting flesh smells like. I had a herd of Angora goats and I smelled that all the time. This horrible smell was not something I had smelled before and I hope I never do again. The customers seemed to think it was normal. Bleeeccchh!

You really should have taken better care of your goats.

FloridaChief
02-14-2005, 07:38 PM
You really should have taken better care of your goats.

What can you expect when you're attaching DTV dishes to their spines?

stumppy
02-14-2005, 07:46 PM

Check your PM's.:thumb:

Phobia
02-14-2005, 07:59 PM
Asking an installer into their home knowing the conditions is a cry for help. They WANT you to call it in.

chiefs4me
02-14-2005, 08:23 PM
Yea go ahead and call...to bad all they will do is come take a look. If the kids are being fed and not hit or locked up, then they won't do a damn thing. Being filthy doesn't matter.:shake:

badgirl
02-14-2005, 08:27 PM
Yea go ahead and call...to bad all they will do is come take a look. If the kids are being fed and not hit or locked up, then they won't do a damn thing. Being filthy doesn't matter.:shake:
Wanna bet on that ?

Oops, dammit I hate it when Badgirl doesn't log off.

stumppy

Fat Elvis
02-14-2005, 08:39 PM
My wife says calling it in can't hurt anything. She used to work for CPS in KS.

badgirl
02-14-2005, 08:51 PM
Hey skip the womans name wasn't Phyllis was it AKA my mother. :cuss:

Seriously, it is best for these people to be turned in, I grew up with a lazy mom and our house was always trashed, filthy, although I still loved them, but as an adult it is best for the kids, at least they will be onto these people and maby make them keep the house cleaned even if they don't actually take the kids, it may be a wake up call. :shake:

Iowanian
02-14-2005, 09:01 PM
Hell yes.

NOrmally, I'd say live and let live(would they tell on you for your bong?)........but if little kids are in that crap, and it smells like Grandma died at Thanksgiving in the John.........make the call.

PastorMikH
02-14-2005, 10:08 PM
Call anonymously.

Or just send pastormikh a PM and ask him to clean up his house.

That's SO wrong. AND I GAVE YOU POSITIVE REP THIS WEEK!!!

Nzoner
02-14-2005, 10:46 PM
I agree,I'd turn them in asap.Four more kids growing up in that is soon to be four more adults who think it's normal to live like that.

Skip Towne
02-14-2005, 10:53 PM
Asking an installer into their home knowing the conditions is a cry for help. They WANT you to call it in.
If my house was in that condition I would make sure NOBODY got in to see it. There were 3 adults in the house who seemed to think it was normal.

Phobia
02-14-2005, 10:58 PM
If it's an issue of cleanliness, I think you should keep your trap shut.

If it's an issue of abuse and neglect, report it. If you're unsure, let the law decide.

We weren't there. Only you know for sure. One thing is clear, you must do your civic duty.

PastorMikH
02-14-2005, 11:00 PM
Skip, Does DirectTV have any policies about this? Had a guy in our last church that worked for the phone company. He was required by the company to report stuf like this. Kinda takes the monkey off his back when his employer doesn't give him a choice. Even if you are an independant installer, DirectTV may have some guidlines on this to make it easier to make a call.

And, from what you've described, there does need to be a call made.

Skip Towne
02-14-2005, 11:01 PM
Well, I hope the authorities do something about it. Those people really don't think they are doing anything wrong the way I took it. I have given all the info to Stumppy and I think it will be taken care of. I asked the guy where he worked to see who put up with his filthy ways and he said he worked in maintenance for a major hotel in Tulsa. You would think he would know better than to live like that.

WilliamTheIrish
02-14-2005, 11:03 PM
Call it in Skip. I'd do it in a minute.

stevieray
02-14-2005, 11:04 PM
You wouldn't have started this thread if you didn't think something needed to be done.

ExtremeChief
02-15-2005, 04:20 AM
Maybe you should upgrade them from the "Limburger 2000" receiver.

Rausch
02-15-2005, 04:29 AM
I may take you up on that. I figure they'll know it's me but I don't care. It wasn't a dead smell. I know what rotting flesh smells like.

teedubya
02-15-2005, 05:16 AM
What to do? Definately report those disgusting bastiges... and then go smoke a joint in your van and be proud of your good deeds...

Skip Towne
02-15-2005, 07:26 AM
What to do? Definately report those disgusting bastiges... and then go smoke a joint in your van and be proud of your good deeds...
That's the best idea I've seen yet.

Bob Dole
02-15-2005, 07:36 AM
I second the call anonymously motion.

Motion passed.

All in favor?

NewChief
02-15-2005, 07:54 AM
Skip, Does DirectTV have any policies about this? Had a guy in our last church that worked for the phone company. He was required by the company to report stuf like this.

Yup, it's called being a mandated reporter. Public school teachers also have this rule. If we suspect a child is being neglected or abused, we're legally obligated to report it.

InChiefsHeaven
02-15-2005, 08:02 AM
Not only must you report this, you must also follow up and let us know how it goes...

I think what kills me about that is the kids. Obviously, if it were just the adults, then let 'em live in squaller. That's their choice. The kids don't have a choice...

stumppy
02-15-2005, 08:05 AM
Being taken care of as I type.

stevieray
02-15-2005, 08:06 AM
The kids don't have a choice...

Kids don't choose to be aborted either.

Skip Towne
02-15-2005, 08:09 AM
Not only must you report this, you must also follow up and let us know how it goes...

I think what kills me about that is the kids. Obviously, if it were just the adults, then let 'em live in squaller. That's their choice. The kids don't have a choice...
I agree. If there were no kids I wouldn't have posted this thread.

ROYC75
02-15-2005, 08:13 AM
If you haven't called by now, I am disappointed in you.

Carry on.

Dartgod
02-15-2005, 08:14 AM
What's this got to do with the topic?

You trying to bait Duh-nese out of the DC forum?

stumppy
02-15-2005, 08:16 AM
Someone from Protective Services will be at that house TODAY.

InChiefsHeaven
02-15-2005, 08:23 AM
Someone from Protective Services will be at that house TODAY.

Sweeet. Do you get a follow up? If so, ya gotta let us know...

Quote:Originally Posted by stevieray

Yeah...I know that...thanks...:spock:

stevieray
02-15-2005, 08:25 AM
What's this got to do with the topic?

You trying to bait Duh-nese out of the DC forum?

Isn't this about caring for kids who can't do it themselves?

chief husker
02-15-2005, 08:28 AM

No shit. This seems so simple. Make the call. Today filth, tomorrow it might be toenails. Make the damn call.

Dartgod
02-15-2005, 08:34 AM
Sure, but please don't politicize (is that even a word?) it. You know abortion is a very sensitive subject around here. And I still don't see what it has to do with people who stink?

stumppy
02-15-2005, 08:41 AM
Sweeet. Do you get a follow up? If so, ya gotta let us know...

She said there is no type of follow up, unfortunately.

Braincase
02-15-2005, 08:44 AM
Were they speaking Klingon? (http://www.orlandoweekly.com/weird/index.asp?now=4495)

chiefs4me
02-15-2005, 09:12 AM
I agree that it should be checked out, children should not have to live in filth. But did the kids seem happy, were they clothed, were they being fed? I would just hate to see children taken away from their parents just because of dirt. I mean who are you or I to tell someone how to keep their house.

Oxford
02-15-2005, 09:20 AM
If you were in Greene County Missouri, I'd say NO! Children taken from their parents by DFS die in their foster homes. Better squalor than a box.

The worst part about this is that there is a financial incentive for agencies to take the kids (they get $7500 for each one). Since I assume you are not in Greene County, go for it

PastorMikH
02-15-2005, 09:34 AM
She said there is no type of follow up, unfortunately.

I would be suprised if there weren't. After all, Skip installed a DirectTV system for them. I would imagine that it will take them calling Skip back 2-3 times to get it all working right.:)

stumppy
02-15-2005, 09:44 AM
I would be suprised if there weren't. After all, Skip installed a DirectTV system for them. I would imagine that it will take them calling Skip back 2-3 times to get it all working right.:)

ROFL

You do realise I meant there was no way I could follow up on what they did?

Skip Towne
02-15-2005, 07:30 PM
I'm not going back in that shithole. One of my unsuspecting techs might though. Then I'll laugh and laugh.