PDA

View Full Version : cincy franchises rudi johnson

Mr. Laz
02-15-2005, 03:05 PM
Bengals designate RB Rudi Johnson as franchise player

CINCINNATI - Less than 10 months ago, Rudi Johnson was deemed the future. Tuesday he was tagged "the franchise."

The Cincinnati Bengals on Tuesday designated their promising running back as the team's franchise player, meaning he is slated to make $6.3 million in 2005. Johnson was unsigned and an unrestricted free agent as of March 2.

The Bengals retain the right to match any offer sheet Johnson signs, or Cincinnati could pass on the deal and receive first-round picks in 2005 and 2006 as compensation.

A franchise player is guaranteed a one-year contract equal to the average of the top five running backs' salaries in the NFL for the previous season.

"This is the most responsible move we can make in pursuit of our goal to give our fans a playoff season and a run for the Super Bowl in 2005," Bengals coach Marvin Lewis said. "The franchise option is designed to help a team retain the rights to a top player, and the players' union supports it because it guarantees that player a salary commensurate with what he has accomplished. We will continue to work with Rudi and his representatives for the possibility of a longer-term contract."

The 25-year-old Johnson ran for 1,454 yards in 2004, breaking the team record of 1,435 that Corey Dillon set in 2000. Johnson, who also set the team record with 361 carries, emerged as a potential star in 2003 and Cincinnati paved the way for him to be the feature back by trading Corey Dillon to New England in April 2004.

Phobia
02-15-2005, 03:08 PM
I think that was stupid. He was a 4th round draft pick headed into a free agency period with the strongest crop of free agent RB's in the history of the NFL. They could have kept him much, much cheaper or even upgraded with a street free agent, IMO.

cookster50
02-15-2005, 03:09 PM
Yeah, but if someone makes a good offer to him and they pass, 2 first round picks would look nice.

bkkcoh
02-15-2005, 03:10 PM
I think that was stupid. He was a 4th round draft pick headed into a free agency period with the strongest crop of free agent RB's in the history of the NFL. They could have kept him much, much cheaper or even upgraded with a street free agent, IMO.

But remember the organization, old habits die hard, that is stupidity....

Mr. Laz
02-15-2005, 03:13 PM
they can still do that ... the franchise tag can be lifted anytime they want.

it's merely an insurance policy

if someone makes an offer they don't wanna match, they get a draft pick.

if they see another RB in the draft or free agency then you sign them and pull the tag.

as long as they have the cap room, i don't see anything stupid about it.

chop
02-15-2005, 03:14 PM

I totally agree. This is a bone headed move. Put aside the fact that this year has a deep crop of rb's, Rudi Johnson is not worth that kind of money. JMO

htismaqe
02-15-2005, 03:16 PM

if someone makes an offer they don't wanna match, they get a draft pick.

if they see another RB in the draft or free agency then you sign them and pull the tag.

as long as they have the cap room, i don't see anything stupid about it.

They can't lift it any time they want. I don't remember what the restrictions are...

shakesthecat
02-15-2005, 03:17 PM
Cincy must not think much of Chris Perry.

Either that or Marvin Lewis is cut from the same cloth as DV.

Mr. Laz
02-15-2005, 03:18 PM
They can't lift it any time they want. I don't remember what the restrictions are...

philly lifted the tag on jeremiah trotter a couple of years ago ... so there's a way to do it.

i don't know of any restrictions about it

bkkcoh
02-15-2005, 03:24 PM
<a href=" http://www.nfl.com/freeagency" target="_blank">LINK</a>

A club may withdraw a franchise or transition designation at any time. The player becomes an unrestricted free agent when that withdrawal occurs, and the team can use one of the designations on another player at the appropriate time.

dirk digler
02-15-2005, 03:25 PM
philly lifted the tag on jeremiah trotter a couple of years ago ... so there's a way to do it.

i don't know of any restrictions about it

I don't think there is any restriction. But if a player signs before the 10th week of the season the players get credit for that whole season. Also if the player holds out all year long then the team can put the tag on him again the next year just like we did with Dan Williams.

dirk digler
02-15-2005, 03:25 PM
<a href=" http://www.nfl.com/freeagency" target="_blank">LINK</a>

Thanks. That is what I thought.

shaneo69
02-15-2005, 03:27 PM
The Bungles really stupid move occurred when they picked Chris Perry in the 1st round last year. A good team would've picked a good RB and let Rudi walk, but now the Bungles are stuck with a Franchised RB out of necessity and a first round bust on the bench. Planning was good, execution sucked.

dirk digler
02-15-2005, 03:30 PM
Why is everyone so down on Rudi? Just curious.

BIG_DADDY
Poor Rudi Poo. You could get rid of Cinncy, Arizona and the 9ers and the whole league would benefit.

bkkcoh
The Bungles really stupid move occurred when they picked Chris Perry in the 1st round last year. A good team would've picked a good RB and let Rudi walk, but now the Bungles are stuck with a Franchised RB out of necessity and a first round bust on the bench. Planning was good, execution sucked.

:hmmm: that almost sounds like the Chiefs a couple of years ago when they drafted LJ (even though Priest was coming off an injury) :hmmm:

Mr. Laz

ya drafting a RB in the 1st round and giving another RB a brand new schpankity contract at the same time is pretty stupid.

Phobia
02-15-2005, 03:34 PM

Not if he signs the tender, they can't. Nobody is gonna give 2 firsts for Cinci - not even the Cardinals.

Mr. Laz
02-15-2005, 03:39 PM
Not if he signs the tender, they can't. Nobody is gonna give 2 firsts for Cinci - not even the Cardinals.

players don't sign the tender until they reach some kind of agreement or until they season starts and they have to.

they lose most their leverage if they sign

they don't have to give up 2 first rounders ... the price can be negotiated by the 2 teams.

heck cincy could trade the rights(basically) for johnson for a 3rd round pick if they chose. If you have the cap room they franchise tag is a good insurance policy.

Phobia
02-15-2005, 03:44 PM
players don't sign the tender until they reach some kind of agreement or until they season starts and they have to.

they lose most their leverage if they sign

Naturally, but Rudi's eyes may be so big at the size of that one year contract, he may sign. It's not likely, but he could.

The rest we agree on.

Mr. Laz
02-15-2005, 03:49 PM
Naturally, but Rudi's eyes may be so big at the size of that one year contract, he may sign. It's not likely, but he could.

The rest we agree on.
Bengals: Johnson threatens holdout if franchised

by Fanball Staff - Fanball.com
Sunday, January 23, 2005

News
Running back Rudi Johnson told the Bengals that he would sit out the 2005 season if the team uses the franchise tag to keep him in Cincinnati next season, Johnson's agent told the Cincinnati Enquirer. "He feels he has earned the right not to play for insecurity," Johnson's agent, Peter Schaffer, told the Enquirer. "It's not anti-organization. It's not Corey Dillon. Rudi feels his contributions to the team and his stats warrant that, if he is going to play for the Bengals, that it is not for one year."

Views
The franchise tag would ensure Johnson almost $6 million next season, but Rudi is looking for a long-term deal, something along the lines of five or six years. He played for $1.8 million in 2004 and set franchise records for rushing yards and attempts.

Updated on Sunday, Jan 23, 2005 1:12 am EST

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=fanball-bengalsjohnsonthreat&prov=fanball&type=lgns

Phobia
02-15-2005, 04:00 PM
Oh - so Rudi Johnson is even more stupid than the Bengals. It's like watching a cripple fight. They're even more pathetic than the Chiefs except they went to a SuperBowl in the past 2 decades.

shaneo69
02-15-2005, 04:15 PM
Oh - so Rudi Johnson is even more stupid than the Bengals. It's like watching a cripple fight. They're even more pathetic than the Chiefs except they went to a SuperBowl in the past 2 decades.

Well, if he signs the tender right away, he has to go to training camp. This way, he can skip TC like O. Pace and W. Jones do each year and then sign just before the season starts. Of course, if he does that, the Bengals may do what Laz suggested and drop the tag. But then he'd get what he thinks he wants (UFA).

The Bad Guy
02-15-2005, 04:27 PM
Poor Rudi Poo. You could get rid of Cinncy, Arizona and the 9ers and the whole league would benefit.

Add the Chiefs to that list as well. The Cardinals and 49ers have won playoff games in the last 12 years.

The Bad Guy
02-15-2005, 04:28 PM
If I'm the Bengals, I still make a play for Shaun Alexander and then lift the tag if he signs.

Mr. Laz
02-15-2005, 04:56 PM
If I'm the Bengals, I still make a play for Shaun Alexander and then lift the tag if he signs.

yep... you can go after whomever you want and bargain from a position of strength because you have a backup plan.

if it doesn't work out you end up with Rudi for the tender

while johnson is holding out and not signing the tender you can work Perry and see what ya got.