PDA

View Full Version : Let's Talk About Coaches

CosmicPal
02-15-2005, 04:38 PM
During the KU game, I was commenting about how obviously pissed Bobby Knight was during the game. A couple of times I saw him thow things and scream at his players with a vengeance so deep I would have sworn he wanted to kill them.

Anyways, I said I could NEVAH play for someone like that....

Here's what we discovered: Coaches in different sports behave differently.

BASKETBALL- Probably the most evident of all the verbal abuses by coaches. I can't think of a basketball coach that hasn't at one time or another went on a tirade against one of his players on the bench or the court. Not, only that- they chew out the officials quite often as well.

FOOTBALL- Coaches rarely chew out their players. This is usually done by the assitant coaches and usually when the player is at the bench or standing along the sideline out of view. Head coaches spend most of their time chewing out officials and it's usually just a "awwww, what is this?" sort of response.

BASEBALL- Coaches again rarely chew out their players, and instead walk or storm out of the dugout and verbally attack the officials. They are given the green light in this sport to actually enter the field and address the officiating crew face-to-face.

HOCKEY- Nothing much here, but again, the players don't usually get chewed out by coaches and when a coach gets mad in this sport- he's after the other coach or is throwing sh"t onto the rink.

Interestingly enough- Basketball coaches are the biggest verbal abusers in sport. Unless I'm overlooking something here....

But, back to Bobby Knight- I would never want to play with an azzhat like him. I'd probably kill him after the first practice.

HemiEd
02-15-2005, 04:54 PM
Good Observations, did you see how scared some of the TT players looked during those tirades last night? Who would want to play scared?

TT feels lucky to have a high profile coach and they are, so they put up with it.

The other sports: I think I would actually like to see Billy Martin kick crap on the plate again (rip) even though I hated him for it then.

NaptownChief
02-15-2005, 05:39 PM
Small price to pay to be a Top 25 program as opposed to the 11-19 type of turd they were before he got there. A little yelling just helps prepare them for marriage.

picasso
02-15-2005, 06:01 PM
Small price to pay to be a Top 25 program as opposed to the 11-19 type of turd they were before he got there. A little yelling just helps prepare them for marriage.

yep