PDA

View Full Version : Any fencing contractors here?

Dartgod
02-16-2005, 10:36 AM
I'm looking to fence in my back yard and need a contractor in the K.C. area. Before I break out the Yellow Pages I thought I'd see if anyone on here knows someone who does this.

chiefz
02-16-2005, 10:42 AM
What sort of fence are you looking to put up?

It is pretty expensive to have a company do it and it is pretty easy to do yourself.

I put mine up in 2 days and saved about 2 grand.

Skip Towne
02-16-2005, 10:42 AM
I'm looking to fence in my back yard and need a contractor in the K.C. area. Before I break out the Yellow Pages I thought I'd see if anyone on here knows someone who does this.
I'd get Phobia to do it. You don't even have to pay him.

Hoover
02-16-2005, 10:44 AM
screw the fence just build a moat and have a drawbridge.

jspchief
02-16-2005, 10:46 AM
screw the fence just build a moat and have a drawbridge.

I hear it helps to fill the moat with dead Walmart greeters...

Dartgod
02-16-2005, 10:48 AM
What sort of fence are you looking to put up?

It is pretty expensive to have a company do it and it is pretty easy to do yourself.

I put mine up in 2 days and saved about 2 grand.
Chain link. If I had a normal sized lot, I'd might do that. But our lot is 330' long (not all that is going to be fenced). Plus I need it done fast.

Skip Towne
02-16-2005, 10:56 AM
Chain link. If I had a normal sized lot, I'd might do that. But our lot is 330' long (not all that is going to be fenced). Plus I need it done fast.
Pink says Phobia is fast.

chiefz
02-16-2005, 11:01 AM

Thats exactly what I did was chain link.

Believe me, its not that hard, I needed it done fast as well and did it all myself (although I borrowed an auger).

It saved me a crapload of money, and my yard is bigger than that.

You can go to Lowes or Menards and use their automatic systems to figure out what you need and they can deliver it.

I believe I put mine up for about 1200 dollars and most quotes I got from fencing companies were from 3000 to 5000 dollars.

Dartgod
02-16-2005, 11:07 AM
Thats exactly what I did was chain link.

Believe me, its not that hard, I needed it done fast as well and did it all myself (although I borrowed an auger).

It saved me a crapload of money, and my yard is bigger than that.

You can go to Lowes or Menards and use their automatic systems to figure out what you need and they can deliver it.

I believe I put mine up for about 1200 dollars and most quotes I got from fencing companies were from 3000 to 5000 dollars.
Do you set all the posts in concrete? How big is your lot and how level?

Phobia
02-16-2005, 11:10 AM
If it were my own yard, I'd tackle chain link installation. But, it's not something I've done frequently, so I wouldn't be comfortable charging professional prices.

But, chainlink isn't hard. I think you can take the lowest bid without fear of horrible craftsmanship. It's very cool of you to check out here first.

chiefz
02-16-2005, 11:12 AM
Do you set all the posts in concrete? How big is your lot and how level?

Yes and watch the place you buy the fencing from, they gave me a bag for each post but that is way too much, you only need a half bag.

I ended up with half a pallet of concrete left!

I went about 300 across and 125 deep and butted the fence up to the back of my house.

chiefz
02-16-2005, 11:13 AM
Oh yeah, my ground is fairly level.

Taco John
02-16-2005, 11:14 AM
My foil is broken right now, but anytime you're up for some fencing once I get it fixed, let me know.

Dartgod
02-16-2005, 11:22 AM
My foil is broken right now, but anytime you're up for some fencing once I get it fixed, let me know.
You're too late. The over/under for some douche bag posting a bad foil/epee joke was 30 minutes.

Thanks for playing though! :thumb:

Taco John
02-16-2005, 11:26 AM
I was busy mocking Hoover's campaign! Cut me some slack!

GOSH!

morphius
02-16-2005, 11:28 AM
You're too late. The over/under for some douche bag posting a bad foil/epee joke was 30 minutes.

Thanks for playing though! :thumb:
Give him a break, he obviously has lost his burst.

Phobia
02-16-2005, 11:30 AM
Bob, if you decide to DIY with the fence, I'll bring over some lasers and string to help with layout in exchange for some of that home brew. I don't want anything to do with digging and setting post holes without being paid, though. Heh.

Dartgod
02-16-2005, 11:39 AM
Bob, if you decide to DIY with the fence, I'll bring over some lasers and string to help with layout in exchange for some of that home brew. I don't want anything to do with digging and setting post holes without being paid, though. Heh.
I may take you up on that. I gotta get my lot surveyed first. I don't know exactly where my property line is. You know any surveyors?

Phobia
02-16-2005, 11:41 AM
I may take you up on that. I gotta get my lot surveyed first. I don't know exactly where my property line is. You know any surveyors?

No, but I know the phone number for Missouri one call - to get all your underground utils marked. If you have a blueprint of your house, we can figure out your property lines. Finally, if you live in a subdivision your corners may be marked and a metal detector can locate them.

Taco John
02-16-2005, 11:42 AM
just eyeball it... what the hell...

Dartgod
02-16-2005, 11:44 AM
No, but I know the phone number for Missouri one call - to get all your underground utils marked. If you have a blueprint of your house, we can figure out your property lines. Finally, if you live in a subdivision your corners may be marked and a metal detector can locate them.
It's a pretty old neighborhood. Not a subdivision really. Good thinking on the One Call. I had forgot about that.

Phobia
02-16-2005, 11:49 AM
It's a pretty old neighborhood. Not a subdivision really. Good thinking on the One Call. I had forgot about that.

If it's not a subdivision then who enforces deed restrictions? If you get a general idea of where the property lines are and err on your side of the property, you should be fine. Also having each neighbor approve it would help, too.

Dartgod
02-16-2005, 12:00 PM
Also having each neighbor approve it would help, too.
Ding....ding...ding!

You just hit upon the problem. My nosy bitch neighbor and her dumbass husband.