PDA

View Full Version : PBJ: A Question

Donger
02-16-2005, 03:07 PM
I didn't "grow up" in the USA and, therefore, the concept of a PBJ sandwich was repulsive to me. A few months ago, my beloved wife convinced me to try one. Naturally, I found it to be delicious. But, I have found that I prefer strawberry jelly over grape, which I guess is the American default.

So, which do you prefer? There will only be those two options, but feel free to mention other jellies/jams that you've tried.

Thanks.

Saulbadguy
02-16-2005, 03:09 PM
Strawberry jam..with little chunks of strawberry in them.

chief husker
02-16-2005, 03:10 PM
Jams or jellies. Everyone likes something different. If you want to start a discussion, ask about the PB. Creamy or chunky? Skippy? That Jif crap?

Rausch
02-16-2005, 03:12 PM
Apricot jellah'....

Hammock Parties
02-16-2005, 03:13 PM
Since my parents were American, I used to eat PBJ all the time when I was a kid, even though I grew up in Scotland.

Kids over there used to eat cheese and ketchup sandwiches.

ptlyon
02-16-2005, 03:13 PM
husker - Peter Pan

"You used to like grape jelly on your peanut butter sandwiches"

ChiTown
02-16-2005, 03:14 PM
Strawberry.

I also like appricot jam(not for a car color though;) ). My Wife's Grandmother makes an awesome homemade rasberry jam that goes great on a PBJ.

ptlyon
02-16-2005, 03:16 PM
On another topic, did anyone else used to eat buttered sugar sandwiches growing up?

Also - take a saltine cracker and spread butter and grape jelly on it - Yummy.

CosmicPal
02-16-2005, 03:18 PM
Strawberry jam..with little chunks of strawberry in them.

I have news for you-

Those "chunks" aren't strawberries.

Rain Man
02-16-2005, 03:20 PM
Apricot jellah'....

Good man.

I've never been into PB&J sandwiches, but I like jelly on toast and rolls other breads. I'm a big fan of apple jelly, but none of the national brands makes it. I buy the generic store brand and just wonder...

beavis
02-16-2005, 03:21 PM
Peanut butter is the bane of my existence. :Lin:

badgirl
02-16-2005, 03:22 PM
I like strawberry Jam the best but I hate peanut butter, so I like having a strawberry jam sandwich with a cold glass of milk

go bo
02-16-2005, 03:22 PM
On another topic, did anyone else used to eat buttered sugar sandwiches growing up?

Also - take a saltine cracker and spread butter and grape jelly on it - Yummy.yeah, put on lots of butter and mix in a ton of sugar...

yummy indeed... :thumb:

badgirl
02-16-2005, 03:24 PM
WTF is your sig about? It's quite annoying.
It probably would be to a fag as yourself, you have to be a man to appreciate it, your the only complaint I've got. Gayboy. :cuss:

Donger
02-16-2005, 03:37 PM
Jams or jellies. Everyone likes something different. If you want to start a discussion, ask about the PB. Creamy or chunky? Skippy? That Jif crap?

If I wanted to query about the type and brand of PB, I would have.

This is about the 'J' part of a PBJ.

Alton deFlat
02-16-2005, 03:38 PM
It probably would be to a fag as yourself, you have to be a man to appreciate it, your the only complaint I've got. Gayboy. :cuss:

You go girl!!!!

Frosty
02-16-2005, 03:40 PM
Something I like is PB and sweet onion sandwiches. My grandma used to fix those and I thought it sounded gross. I finally tried one and really liked it. :thumb:

Butter (real butter) and grape jam sandwiches were also a fovorite of mine.

morphius
02-16-2005, 03:44 PM
Morphius has been abused becuase Rhubarb is by far the best Jelly out there. You can't hold the king of Jelly down!

Don't make me call your work Bob Damn Dole!!!

:D

Morphius
about to be deleted again.

Hammock Parties
02-16-2005, 03:44 PM

I like T&A as much as the next guy, but your sig is just...weird...what's with the text?

If you wanted to show off a piece of ass in your sig, there are much better pictures out there, that's all.

Saulbadguy
02-16-2005, 03:45 PM
You go girl!!!!
That has got to be the most retarded 90's esque catch phrase. Please refrain from further usage.

Rain Man
02-16-2005, 03:46 PM
Peanut butter is the bane of my existence. :Lin:

Peanut butter shot your pa?

Rain Man
02-16-2005, 03:47 PM
That has got to be the most retarded 90's esque catch phrase. Please refrain from further usage.

You go, guy.

Phobia
02-16-2005, 03:47 PM
I like T&A as much as the next guy,

Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzt.

The next guy actually makes a move while you sit in your car sweating and having epileptic fits.

morphius
02-16-2005, 03:50 PM
I'm not sure if it was the rhubarb part so much as the suggestion that you were receving a "fix" from gramma.
I said a fix, not a blow job.

KcMizzou
02-16-2005, 03:51 PM
home-made apple butter

badgirl
02-16-2005, 03:51 PM
You go, guy.
You go Big Guy is better.:D

Donger
02-16-2005, 03:52 PM
I like the Strawberry jelly from what you've posted, but I eat PB and Honey sandwiches on whole grain bread.

Hmmm. That sounds appealing. Shall have to give that a go.

Alton deFlat
02-16-2005, 03:52 PM

Damn!! First you don't like grapenuts, and now you don't like my use of the language. :banghead: :harumph:

jspchief
02-16-2005, 03:53 PM
Raspberry seedless jelly.

I also like PB and bananas and PB and pickles

badgirl
02-16-2005, 03:53 PM
I like T&A as much as the next guy, but your sig is just...weird...what's with the text?

If you wanted to show off a piece of ass in your sig, there are much better pictures out there, that's all.
Sure ya do. :rolleyes:

Anyhoo, I don't know what that shit is across the front of it, but I like the pic.

Hammock Parties
02-16-2005, 03:54 PM
Sure ya do. :rolleyes:

Anyhoo, I don't know what that shit is across the front of it, but I like the pic.

What? I even posted in the girly thread last night. I like looking at ass...no doubt about it.

CosmicPal
02-16-2005, 03:54 PM
Ah yea! Peanut Butter and Honey!! Love it...

Also used to eat gobs of Peanut Butter and Marshmellow when I was a kid.

KcMizzou
02-16-2005, 03:55 PM
PB and pickles

Wow... that sounds really nasty.

badgirl
What? I even posted in the girly thread last night. I like looking at ass...no doubt about it.
No doubt about Ass, all men have asses, there is a guy pics over there also, is that what you were looking at?

beavis
Peanut butter shot your pa?
No, he named me Sue. :deevee:

badgirl
02-16-2005, 03:56 PM
Tits are great, too. In fact, I like tits better than ass.

I'm not really gay...that's just sort of a running joke here at Chiefsplanet.
Okay then :rolleyes:if thats what you say :thumb:

jspchief
02-16-2005, 03:57 PM
Wow... that sounds really nasty.

I agree it sounds nasty, but you should at least try it. It's very good.

Lzen
02-16-2005, 03:59 PM
I was a peanut butter freak as a child. On one of my birthdays, I got a big bucket of peanut butter as one of my presents. :D

Jif and Welch's grape is the way to go.

Donger, in what country did you live?

Frosty
02-16-2005, 03:59 PM
I agree it sounds nasty, but you should at least try it. It's very good.

Dill or sweet?

Donger
02-16-2005, 04:02 PM
Donger, in what country did you live?

The UK.

Nubian Nut
02-16-2005, 04:02 PM
Try your peanut butter mixed with some maple syrup in a sandwich.

jspchief
02-16-2005, 04:04 PM
Dill or sweet?

Dill chips/slices. And don't be shy about it, lots of pickles is best.

I just made myself one, because talking about it kicked off a craving.

jspchief
02-16-2005, 04:05 PM
Try your peanut butter mixed with some maple syrup in a sandwich.

My wife does that and eats it on biscuits. I hate maple syrup, so I don't care for it.

Frosty
02-16-2005, 04:07 PM
Dill chips/slices. And don't be shy about it, lots of pickles is best.

I'll have to mention it to my wife; she loves weird pickle combos (like mustard and dill pickles).

jspchief
02-16-2005, 04:08 PM
I'll have to mention it to my wife; she loves weird pickle combos (like mustard and dill pickles).

Like I said, try it. The most you're out is about 5 cents worth of food if you don't like it.

Alton deFlat
02-16-2005, 04:09 PM
I'll take one pixy stick - cap'n crunch sandwich on white, please.

You've been watching Breakfast Club again haven't you?

Kerberos
02-16-2005, 04:15 PM
just posting before this thread gets closed too.

:homer:

DOH

chiefs4me
02-16-2005, 04:16 PM
I didn't "grow up" in the USA and, therefore, the concept of a PBJ sandwich was repulsive to me. A few months ago, my beloved wife convinced me to try one. Naturally, I found it to be delicious. But, I have found that I prefer strawberry jelly over grape, which I guess is the American default.

So, which do you prefer? There will only be those two options, but feel free to mention other jellies/jams that you've tried.

Thanks.

Strawberry Jam with Peter Pan creamy peanut butter is the best.....:harumph:

chiefs4me
02-16-2005, 04:19 PM

I am sad now....I thought my grandmother invented them for us. We loved going to her house for those butter and sugar sandwiches. I have even given it to my boys, but they weren't to impressed.:deevee:

jspchief
02-16-2005, 04:26 PM
I am sad now....

Now? I'm pretty sure you've always been sad.

chiefs4me
02-16-2005, 04:29 PM
Now? I'm pretty sure you've always been sad.

Not at all, I am a very friendly person. I smile and laugh a lot....especially when I read this board.ROFL

Abba-Dabba
02-16-2005, 04:54 PM
Strawberry Jam, not preserves and Red Plum Jam

Nubian Nut
02-16-2005, 04:55 PM

I use to love me some butter/sugar sandwiches :thumb:

Rain Man
02-16-2005, 04:58 PM
I use to love me some butter/sugar sandwiches :thumb:

Do you like Vegemite sandwiches, too?

(Blech.)

CosmicPal
02-16-2005, 05:01 PM
It seems safe to post in here.

Donger
02-16-2005, 05:13 PM
Do you like Vegemite sandwiches, too?

(Blech.)

Vegemite? That's nasty Aussie cr*p. Pretty much like everything else they do, it's substandard as compared to the original.

Now, Marmite is fantastic. Had some today in fact.

Ultra Peanut
02-16-2005, 05:15 PM
This is a stupendous thread.
OVERTHROW THE MODS FREEDOM TO THE FRITOS
Stupendous.

Donger
02-16-2005, 05:18 PM
This is a stupendous thread.
OVERTHROW THE MODS FREEDOM TO THE FRITOS
Stupendous.

Heh.

"John has a long moustache."

Hydrae
02-16-2005, 05:35 PM
Strawberry preserves most of the time. Occasionally banana's (but not fried, sorry Elvis). And honey rocks! But only if you are going to eat it fairly quickly, the honey soaks into the bread too much and actually turns the bread kind of hard if you take this for lunch.

Oh, and Jif is by far my preference for the peanut butter side of the sandwich.

badgirl
02-16-2005, 05:37 PM
I like peanut butter and marshmellow sandwiches, but not with jelly wierd huh

RedNFeisty
02-16-2005, 05:53 PM
You think that is weird, I use to eat mircle whip and peanut butter.

Nzoner
02-16-2005, 06:02 PM
Knotts Berry Farms Strawberry Preserves with chunky pb on a toasted waffle.

morphius
02-16-2005, 06:14 PM
Isn't that kind of an East Coast thing, Peanut Butter and Fluff?

HC_Chief
02-16-2005, 06:33 PM
Peanut butter and honey.... mmmmmmm

DTLB58
02-16-2005, 07:04 PM
My wife and kids swear GRAPE jelly is the american way. But I prefer Strawberry. In fact I just had one :p

Inspector
02-16-2005, 07:16 PM
Peanut butter on raw cabbage leaves folded over to make little sandwiches.

I know it doesn't sound good, but it really is.

It's called walking salad. My mom learned about it decades ago when my sister and her were in the blue birds.

Sorry, no jelly on that.

For PBJ sandwiches, I like red better (Strawberry, Cherry, Raspberry)

KcMizzou
02-17-2005, 12:58 AM
Peanut butter on raw cabbage leaves folded over to make little sandwiches.
You're weird.

Demonpenz
02-17-2005, 01:00 AM
i like cutting my pbj up into seven pieces and making it play defense against the little but nimble players of The university of lays potato chips

KcMizzou
02-17-2005, 01:02 AM
i like cutting my pbj up into seven pieces and making it play defense against the little but nimble players of The university of lays potato chips Ok, He's weird.. but you're just plain crazy.

Demonpenz
02-17-2005, 01:04 AM
Ok, He's weird.. but you're just plain crazy.

thats what most people think when they see the 3-4 I use, but i think the crust is doing well at OLB

BIG_DADDY
02-17-2005, 01:10 AM
Marionberry-Blackberry
Strawberry

Then again I am from Oregon, we have the best there is.

Nzoner
02-17-2005, 01:12 AM
Along the topic of peanut butter I'm reminded of a place in Sedailia that my ex took me to that was famous for something called a goober burger.As I recall it was a hamburger with pb,mayo and lettuce and I had to pass.

|Zach|
02-17-2005, 01:13 AM
Along the topic of peanut butter I'm reminded of a place in Sedailia that my ex took me to that was famous for something called a goober burger.As I recall it was a hamburger with pb,mayo and lettuce and I had to pass.
My mom grew up in Sedaila she would talk about those...

I think it was just PB+J on a burger but I could be mistaken.

Phobia
02-17-2005, 01:14 AM
And honey rocks! But only if you are going to eat it fairly quickly, the honey soaks into the bread too much and actually turns the bread kind of hard if you take this for lunch.

Dude - that texture is most desirable in my home. In fact, I intentionally age PB&Honey sandwiches for effect.

Rausch
02-17-2005, 01:15 AM
Vegemite? That's nasty Aussie cr*p. Pretty much like everything else they do, it's substandard as compared to the original.

Yup.

Sure am Glad America's the orignal...

Nzoner
02-17-2005, 01:20 AM
My mom grew up in Sedaila she would talk about those...

I think it was just PB+J on a burger but I could be mistaken.

Whichever it was,no thanks.

|Zach|
02-17-2005, 01:21 AM
Whichever it was,no thanks.
Oh come on. Its good for your heart.

Demonpenz
02-17-2005, 01:22 AM
i hear they made it with the special ingrediant......

Love

Ultra Peanut
02-17-2005, 03:23 AM
i like cutting my pbj up into seven pieces and making it play defense against the little but nimble players of The university of lays potato chipsThat is golden.

Marionberry-Blackberry
Strawberry

Then again I am from Oregon, we have the best there is.Not to mention lots and lots and lots of weed.

Ultra Peanut
02-17-2005, 03:26 AM
Big Stupid Tommy weighed in on this issue recently:

Friday, February 11, 2005

Peanut Butter Companions

Because all this needed saying. And you know it.

Now, the listing of my favorite companions to peanut butter in the esteemed Peanut Butter Sandwich.

1. Banana

I realized that Banana had taken the one spot recently. My grandmother made me peanut butter and banana sandwiches when I was really little. I told her that her sandwiches were "off the chain." Neither of us knew what I was talking about. She punched me in the mouth for taking the Lord's name in vain.

Nevertheless, her pbb sandwiches were good. But not really all that much better than any other peanut butter and banana sandwich you can make today.

I have never eaten a fried peanut butter and banana sandwich. I've considered it. But I don't like Elvis that much.

When I make a PB & B, I slice the bananas into sections about the size of three quarters stacked together. I usually eat two PB & B sandwiches at a time, and if I fit nine slices on a piece of bread, depending on the size of the banana, it'll use most if not all of it.

2. Blackberry Jam

Blackberry Jam frigging rules. If you put it in a taste test vs. Bananas by themselves? Blackberry Jam would win hands down. And Blackberry Jam is close to being at the top of the list. The only problem is that in some black berry jams, there are still seeds and tiny kernels from where they crushed up the blackberries. It kind of throws you off your peanut butter and jam sandwich eating mojo to bite down on one of those tiny seeds.

3. Apple Jelly

Take the paragraph from the previous entry, cut all the references to Blackberry Jam, paste in "apple jelly," and you'll be good. You might want to take all that stuff about blackberry seeds out, too. There aren't any apple seeds in your finer apple jellies. Good thing, too. There are trace levels of cyanide in apple seeds. The G.I. Joe team used apples to stop this big amoeba thing from consuming America, once upon a time, using apples. The cyanide in the apple seeds poisoned the amoeba thing.

4. Raisins

If you do it carefully, you can fit approximately 700 raisins in a single layer of a Peanut Butter and Raisin sandwich. The trick is to put the peanut butter on the bread first, and then put the raisins on the peanut butter. I haven't quite done the math, but peanut butter is stickier than bread, and raisins adhere more easily to it.

I recommend counting your raisins. You might not need 700 raisins, but be careful not to put 144 raisins on your sandwich. That would be gross.

5. Apple Butter

Apple Butter is like crack! The good kind, not the crack of your ass. Seriously, if you distill it down to its essence and smoke it in your Apple Butter Pipe, you have the strength of 2.3 men.

Also, it's pretty good on peanut butter sandwiches, and it lends itself to being able to say "I'm eating a P-Bab (Peanut Butter & Apple Butter) Sandwich

6. Honey

I'd never thought about putting Honey on a Peanut Butter sandwich, until I heard wrestler Bret "the Hitman" Hart talk about eating them during a time away from the WWF. Peanut Butter and Honey is tasty. But the Peanut Butter does something to the honey, so that it doesn't soak into the bread well. So it can get really stick and messy. I do not recommend eating a Peanut Butter and Honey sandwich if you're also cutting hair.

7. Grape Jelly

The old standard. It's tasty, but highly overrated. The Smuckers Lobby has a lot pull in the industry. They've thrown a lot of money around. It's a good product they've got, but they are not the only thing to put on a sandwich.

8. Dill Pickles

You should only eat A Peanut Butter and Dill Pickle Sandwich if:

1. You are high.
2. You are pregnant.
3. In secret, with nobody around to see you. That shit'll get you laughed off the cool table at sixth grade lunchtime quicker than greased owlshit.

9. Marshmallow

I don't like Marshmallows on their own. But on a peanut butter sandwich? Dude, I could eat myself stupid. In fact, in 1996, I did just that, mister! You should beware. Its effects are permanent.

10. Apple Slices

Again, beware of amoeba killing apple seeds. I prefer Rome apples for the task, but cameos and pink ladies are also good for Peanut Butter and Apple sammiches.

11. Cranberry Sauce

Excellent around Thanksgiving. Real, homemade cranberry sauce is best, but the kind that sloops out of the can, holding the can's shape, is good, too. Hell, the canned stuff is more like jelly than anything. Even jelly.

12. Hot Dogs

But only the good brands. Like Nathan's, or maybe Ballpark.
-----

I'd like to shift gears for a second.

I'm sure that if you've read this far, you've surmised that I've been experimenting for decades with the tableau that is the peanut butter sandwich. In my journeys, I've run across several things that do not belong on a peanut butter sandwich. I list these now, as a service to you.

1. Butter

Don't let anybody tell you different. It tastes like ass. The animal, but also the ass part of the animal.

2. Shortening
3. Beef Jerky
4. Aspirin
5. Tomato Sauce
6. Alternate Peanut Butter

By that, I mean, if you're making a sandwich using creamy peanut butter, don't put Crunchy peanut butter. I don't understand the physics behind it, but when they are put together in a sandwichal environment, small rips are made in the space time continuum.

7. Sheet Music
8. Mushrooms
9. Pizza
10. Chocolate Bars

I have two words for ya: Nell Carter.

Also: Buzz Aldrin.

And: Andrew Johnson

11. Liver Cheese
12. Pork Knowledge
13. Eyes
14. Bacon
15. Stool Softener
16. Raisins
17. Steak
18. Handfuls of Salt
19. Coffee grounds (unused)
20. Coffee grounds (used)
21. Chili
23. Maple Syrup

Perhaps if you're eating between two flapjacks, but not unless.

24. Flintstones Vitamins

Unless you're rarin' for a hospital visit

24. Cheese
25. Orange Marmalade

Paddington's gonna whip your ass.

26. Popcorn
27. Hot Sauce
28. Ramen Noodles
29. Sweet n' Low

In fact, any artificial sweetener's probably a bad idea.

30. Leaves
31. Any Sinus Medicine

See the Peanut Butter or Honey Sandwich, for why.

32. Thai Food
33. Spaghetti
34. Cheerios

Any one of those things will curve your spine should you combine them with peanut butter on a sandwich.

There. It's done.

It's been said. Go in peace.
posted by Tommy at 06:56

ptlyon
02-17-2005, 07:32 AM
I am sad now....I thought my grandmother invented them for us. We loved going to her house for those butter and sugar sandwiches. I have even given it to my boys, but they weren't to impressed.:deevee:

Not unless your grandmother is my mom. :hmmm:

Saulbadguy
02-17-2005, 08:07 AM
PB+Bosco

Skip Towne
02-17-2005, 08:09 AM
Eeewww.......

Skip Towne
02-17-2005, 08:12 AM
PB + Pineapple preserves

CosmicPal
02-17-2005, 08:47 AM

The Wheel-Inn

I think that's what it's called. On the way to and from the Lake of the Ozarks, I often thought of stopping in and trying one. Never did.

KcMizzou
02-17-2005, 08:49 AM
The Wheel-Inn

I think that's what it's called. On the way to and from the Lake of the Ozarks, I often thought of stopping in and trying one. Never did. I think you're right. I've heard of it too... but never had one.

Putting peanut butter on a burger just aint right.

Saulbadguy
02-17-2005, 09:29 AM
They have a "goober" burger here at a dive in Topeka. Never tried it, but I'd like to some day.

patteeu
02-17-2005, 09:32 AM
Strawberry.

patteeu
02-17-2005, 09:38 AM
Big Stupid Tommy weighed in on this issue recently:

Raisins are his 4th favorite thing to add to a PB sandwich but are 16th on his list of things that don't work well on a PB sandwich. Other than that disturbing contradiction, that was pretty funny.

siberian khatru
02-17-2005, 09:42 AM
Strawberry. Preserves (jam), not jelly.

ptlyon
02-17-2005, 09:54 AM
Up here we have a place that cooks what they call a Cackle Burger. It is a burger with ketchup, mustard, lettuce, tomato, onion, PB&J, and a fried egg.

Dad used to make what he called a cackle burger with a fried egg on just a regular burger and that rocked.

Not sure I would want to try it wit PB&J tho.

Nzoner
02-17-2005, 10:05 AM
Putting peanut butter on a burger just aint right.

Had a fraternity bro at CMSU that was a bodybuilder and he used to take 3-4 hamburger patties with pb between each one on a slice of bread,called it his protein sammich.

Ultra Peanut
02-17-2005, 04:58 PM
Raisins are his 4th favorite thing to add to a PB sandwich but are 16th on his list of things that don't work well on a PB sandwich. Other than that disturbing contradiction, that was pretty funny.I was hoping someone would catch that. ROFL

Ultra Peanut
02-17-2005, 05:00 PM
By the way, I'm very tempted to run to the store and get some mushrooms so I can try a PB&Mushroom sandwich.

Bowser
02-17-2005, 05:03 PM
By the way, I'm very tempted to run to the store and get some mushrooms so I can try a PB&Mushroom sandwich.

HY-VEE doesn't sell the right kind of mushrooms to give you what you're looking for.

Ultra Peanut
02-17-2005, 05:04 PM
ROFL

I'm betting Kroger doesn't, either. Can't get to a Hy-Vee unless I drive north and hit Missouri. :D

Iowanian
02-17-2005, 05:24 PM
If PB&J makes you Like Americana.........Wait until you try the Elvis Grill.......toast, Peanutbutter and Banana sammich.

I like apricot, plum, raspberry, strawberry, and apple all better than Grape, which is fine. I've also had gooseberry and some other "grandma flavors" Gooseberry is a little bitter for my taste.

Hammock Parties
02-17-2005, 05:26 PM
Anyone ever tried Peanut Butter and Nutella? I bet that would kill you.

Rain Man
02-17-2005, 05:27 PM
They have a "goober" burger here at a dive in Topeka. Never tried it, but I'd like to some day.

You aim high.

Hammock Parties
02-17-2005, 05:30 PM
Why would you?

Someone tried Peanut Butter and Pickles.... :shrug:

Saulbadguy
02-17-2005, 05:31 PM
Cause Kobe told me to.
http://www.custommousepad.com/images/bigpad_kobe_nutella.jpg