PDA

View Full Version : Automobile help needed please.

J Diddy
02-17-2005, 11:29 PM
I am buying a 1991 ford ranger tomorrow and it does not have air conditioning. Does anyone know how difficult or even possible to have it installed or if anyone can do it?

Any help would be appreciated.

Phobia
02-17-2005, 11:32 PM
I'd just take your $10 down to Blockbuster and enjoy a few movies instead.

J Diddy
02-17-2005, 11:33 PM
I'd just take your $10 down to Blockbuster and enjoy a few movies instead.

Um, why do you say this?

alanm
02-17-2005, 11:37 PM
Just roll the windows down. It's free!!

Air conditioning? We don't need no stinkin air conditioning.

J Diddy
02-17-2005, 11:38 PM
Just roll the windows down. It's free!!

Air conditioning? We don't need no stinkin air conditioning.

I'm spoiled.

(At least I want to be.)

Phobia
02-17-2005, 11:40 PM
91 Ford Ranger with no air?

It's worth about a grand and it would cost at least that to have air installed. I just think it's a poor investment, especially if air is important to you.

Pants
02-17-2005, 11:40 PM
Um, why do you say this?

LOL, he's implying it's only worth 10 dollars (the car). I wouldn't by a car without taking it to a mechanic first. Especially a 14 year old Ranger.

HemiEd
02-17-2005, 11:43 PM
Is it a four or six cyl? This is important as the Ford four that year will have a hard time handling the load at idle.

J Diddy
91 Ford Ranger with no air?

It's worth about a grand and it would cost at least that to have air installed. I just think it's a poor investment, especially if air is important to you.

It's actually worth $2300 and I'm getting it for 1/4 of that. It only has 70,000 miles on it and in virtually mint condition.

It is officially my soon to be toy.

J Diddy
Is it a four or six cyl? This is important as the Ford four that year will have a hard time handling the load at idle.

Michael Michigan
It's actually worth $2300 and I'm getting it for 1/4 of that. It only has 70,000 miles on it and in virtually mint condition.

It is officially my soon to be toy.

So--it's $600?

Stinger
02-17-2005, 11:44 PM
Put this in your back window

http://www.hqda.army.mil/acsimweb/fd/policy/SupEqGuide/images/window_ac.jpg

But don't stray to far from your house or have a looooong extension cord.

J Diddy
LOL, he's implying it's only worth 10 dollars (the car). I wouldn't by a car without taking it to a mechanic first. Especially a 14 year old Ranger.

please do tell me about the responsibilities of being an adult.

Like I didn't take it to a mechanic first.

BIG_DADDY
Spray bottle with a fan man, you can thank me later.

J Diddy
So--it's $600?

$800

J Diddy
02-17-2005, 11:45 PM
$800

My math was bronco math.

J Diddy
Put this in your back window

http://www.hqda.army.mil/acsimweb/fd/policy/SupEqGuide/images/window_ac.jpg

But don't stray to far from your house or have a looooong extension cord.

ROFL

That's some funny shit.

Pants
please do tell me about the responsibilities of being an adult.

Like I didn't take it to a mechanic first.

And, umm, you didn't ask him but instead chose to ask on CP? Whatever you feel like, why are you so hostile though?

HemiEd
02-17-2005, 11:46 PM

You can spend about a grand and have it installed but you won't like it. If you wanted to spend some serious dough for a street rod set up it would probably be worth more than the truck. Maybe you should consider the $10 option or drop a small block Chrysler engine in it.

Phobia
02-17-2005, 11:46 PM
My apologies for my synical response. Sometimes I suck. If you're getting a great deal, I hope you're happy with it. I'm guessing it would cost a significant amount to put air into unless you know somebody who would wanna tinker with it. I don't know shit, though.

Pants
02-17-2005, 11:47 PM
You can spend about a grand and have it installed but you won't like it. If you wanted to spend some serious dough for a street rod set up it would probably be worth more than the truck. Maybe you should consider the $10 option or drop a small block Chrysler engine in it.

Oh, I thought it was broke. NM JD.

Phobia
02-17-2005, 11:48 PM
You can spend about a grand and have it installed but you won't like it.

Cool. My WAG was on the money. I'm smarter than even I give myself credit for....

KCWolfman
02-17-2005, 11:49 PM
You will only be able to turn on the air going downhill. There is a reason your 90 horsepower engine wasn't originally made with air, it can't handle it.

Mr. Kotter
02-17-2005, 11:49 PM
Sounds like you are gettin' a good deal on an older vehicle; sounds like it's in good shape.

Heck, you can probably get it installed for 700-900 bucks at the right place....but that puts a strain on a 4-banger. Unless you NEED air, I don't know if I'd make the investment. If you NEED the air, the 900 bucks is probably worth it to you--asuuming the vehicle will last at least 2-3 years, or more. Your call.

J Diddy
02-17-2005, 11:50 PM
And, umm, you didn't ask him but instead chose to ask on CP? Whatever you feel like, why are you so hostile though?

Because the mechanic I spoke with didn't really seem to interested in this area. Because I like to do stuff myself, that way if I screw it up it is on me. Because that's the way I work.

Pick your answer.

HemiEd
02-17-2005, 11:51 PM
Cool. My WAG was on the money. I'm smarter than even I give myself credit for....

See I told you that you were not a moron! Thanks for the change!

Pants
Because the mechanic I spoke with didn't really seem to interested in this area. Because I like to do stuff myself, that way if I screw it up it is on me. Because that's the way I work.

Pick your answer.

Read my last post. I misunderstood.

J Diddy
You will only be able to turn on the air going downhill. There is a reason your 90 horsepower engine wasn't originally made with air, it can't handle it.

So I guess the spray bottle and the window open is the best option then.

I can live with that.

HemiEd
02-17-2005, 11:53 PM

Pick your answer.

As nice as this unit sounds a street rod set-up ( around $2500) might be worth it. They are small compressor, high efficiency units.

J Diddy
Oh, I thought it was broke. NM JD.

It's all good. I like to tinker. Either way I won't have much invested in it if I screw it up.

Mr. Kotter

Pick your answer.

The reason, I suspect the mechanic isn't interested, is he can do it--but if he's conscientious, he probably doesn't want to do it...because as we have suggested, you likely will be "unimpressed" by air attached to a 4 cylinder in a Truck.

I've had 4 cylinder "with Air" before....it's not cool (no pun intended.) :hmmm:

booger
02-17-2005, 11:55 PM
With it being a Ford and a four banger, I hope it has a manual tranny. At least you could get some kind of enjoyment out of driving it.

In all seriousness good luck. :thumb:

Doesn't sound like a bad deal considering the low mileage.

booger
02-17-2005, 11:56 PM
just don't ever take advace from a mopar man.

HemiEd
02-17-2005, 11:57 PM
just don't ever take advace from a mopar man.

ROFL ROFL

J Diddy
02-17-2005, 11:57 PM
With it being a Ford and a four banger, I hope it has a manual tranny. At least you could get some kind of enjoyment out of driving it.

In all seriousness good luck. :thumb:

Doesn't sound like a bad deal considering the low mileage.

5 speed.

Looks sharp, I'm gonna have fun with it.
(obviously not too much since it doesn't have much power)

Phobia
02-17-2005, 11:59 PM
FWIW, I've always been fond of Edmunds over KBB.

http://www.edmunds.com/used/1991/ford/ranger/index.html?tid=edmunds.u.mmindex.content.num15.5.ford*

booger
02-18-2005, 12:01 AM
ROFL ROFL
oh sh!t didn't see you there. :thumb: :)

booger
02-18-2005, 12:03 AM
5 speed.

Looks sharp, I'm gonna have fun with it.
(obviously not too much since it doesn't have much power)
that's the main thing. As long as you are happy with it. :thumb:

J Diddy
02-18-2005, 12:05 AM
Thanks all for the help. Everyone have a great night.

KCWolfman
02-18-2005, 12:07 AM
The reason, I suspect the mechanic isn't interested, is he can do it--but if he's conscientious, he probably doesn't want to do it...because as we have suggested, you likely will be "unimpressed" by air attached to a 4 cylinder in a Truck.

I've had 4 cylinder "with Air" before....it's not cool (no pun intended.) :hmmm:
There are a great many 4 cylinders that can and do handle air conditioning with no problem. However, the Ranger came only with a 90 hp engine in the early 90s. It ain't the cylinders, it the horseys underneath.

HemiEd
02-18-2005, 12:09 AM
that's the main thing. As long as you are happy with it. :thumb:

sure! :thumb:

booger
02-18-2005, 12:10 AM
that one big assed paper weight.

HemiEd
02-18-2005, 12:15 AM

It is an Elephant to you Rat people! :p

KCWolfman
02-18-2005, 12:16 AM
Give me that paper weight over a pussy 350 or rice cooker anyday of the week.

I had a 383 magnum with a 6 pack factory released and put into a Sport Fury that could eat any Chevy on the road at the time.

booger
02-18-2005, 12:16 AM
It does have two wing nuts attaching the are cleaner though.

HemiEd
02-18-2005, 12:20 AM

I had a 383 magnum with a 6 pack factory released and put into a Sport Fury that could eat any Chevy on the road at the time.

Cool, Mopar support! :thumb:

HemiEd
02-18-2005, 12:21 AM
It does have two wing nuts attaching the are cleaner though.

And do you know why? :hmmm:

booger
02-18-2005, 12:21 AM

Hell they are all fun fords, chevy, dodge. If I had the money I'd get an old chevelle and dump one of the new 572 ci in it. :thumb:

booger
02-18-2005, 12:23 AM
And do you know why? :hmmm:
dual carbs perhaps?

or is it so the first wing nut doesn't get lonely?

Phobia
02-18-2005, 12:26 AM
Yeah - I'd definitely say duals.

KCWolfman
02-18-2005, 12:27 AM
dual carbs perhaps?

LOL, the life of a retaining bolt is a lonely one indeed.

HemiEd
02-18-2005, 12:27 AM
dual carbs perhaps?

You are correct, all Hemis came with dual fours. It is good to jostle with you and hope you get to do your Chevelle project. I kind of like the first generation Chevelles myself. My first new car was a 72 Chevelle. Like you said, as long as they aint buring rice they are cool. :)

J Diddy
02-18-2005, 12:29 AM
There are a great many 4 cylinders that can and do handle air conditioning with no problem. However, the Ranger came only with a 90 hp engine in the early 90s. It ain't the cylinders, it the horseys underneath.

Damned them horseys.

booger
02-18-2005, 12:32 AM
You are correct, all Hemis came with dual fours. It is good to jostle with you and hope you get to do your Chevelle project. I kind of like the first generation Chevelles myself. My first new car was a 72 Chevelle. Like you said, as long as they aint buring rice they are cool. :)

Thanks.

That dream won't come true until I win the lottery or knock of a bank. ROFL

It defenatly won't be plum crazy though. :thumb:

HemiEd
02-18-2005, 12:32 AM
Yeah - I'd definitely say duals.

this is before I stuck it back in

Miles
02-18-2005, 12:33 AM

Thats one nice looking motor. :thumb: Im partial to more modern types with smaller displacement/high HP but you gotta respect the classic muscle.

booger
02-18-2005, 12:34 AM
hey now. We got kids here.

HemiEd
02-18-2005, 12:37 AM
hey now. We got kids here.

I thought you would be the one to catch that! ROFL

booger
02-18-2005, 12:39 AM
it's a sickness I have.

HemiEd
02-18-2005, 12:45 AM
Thats one nice looking motor. :thumb: Im partial to more modern types with smaller displacement/high HP but you gotta respect the classic muscle.

The new stuff is far more efficient for sure.

stumppy
02-18-2005, 06:55 AM

:hail::hail::hail:

Radar Chief
02-18-2005, 09:12 AM
Toy? So what are your intentions with it?

Radar Chief
02-18-2005, 09:15 AM

Nice, ever run that thing? What kinda ¼ ya gett’n?

J Diddy
02-18-2005, 09:23 AM
Toy? So what are your intentions with it?

I don't know yet. Looks nice, runs nice, so I think I'm gonna get it.

Radar Chief
02-18-2005, 09:29 AM
I don't know yet. Looks nice, runs nice, so I think I'm gonna get it.

If it tickles you giggle spot, go for it.
Everybody needs some type of toy.

Radar Chief
02-18-2005, 09:37 AM
Just out of curiosity, what kinda 4 popper does it have in it?

Bwana
02-18-2005, 11:09 AM
It can be done for 1K to 1400 and as Phobia stated, that's about what it's worth unless there is something extra special about it. If it is not your full time driver, I would use the 80 model air conditioning. Open the windows and drive 80 miles per hour. :)

Dartgod
02-18-2005, 11:18 AM
$885 for a kit from J.C. Whitney

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/ProductDisplay/c-10101/s-10101/p-214219/mediaCode-ZX/appId-479564

Bwana
02-18-2005, 11:27 AM
$885 for a kit from J.C. Whitney

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/ProductDisplay/c-10101/s-10101/p-214219/mediaCode-ZX/appId-479564

Oh boy, that looks like an install project from hell doesn't it? :shake: I think I would have wrenchs flying all over the shop by the time I finished that little brain buster.

Radar Chief
02-18-2005, 11:32 AM
Oh boy, that looks like an install project from hell doesn't it? :shake: I think I would have wrenchs flying all over the shop by the time I finished that little brain buster.

You might be surprised, since it’s specifically for an ’88-94 model Ranger and already has the brackets.

Bwana
02-18-2005, 11:40 AM
You might be surprised, since it’s specifically for an ’88-94 model Ranger and already has the brackets.

You may be right, but those "little projects" like that always seem to turn into more than the "easy to install" directions on the box. :hmmm: I always end up with a part or two that was made by some hungover strokestick on the line and have to modify a few things.

Otter
02-18-2005, 12:24 PM
This is kinda like building a 3 story house then when everything is up and in place deciding it needs an elevator isn't it?

I think the "open a window" suggestion fits best.

HemiEd
02-18-2005, 12:34 PM
Nice, ever run that thing? What kinda ¼ ya gett’n?
Totally restored to original, so it ran about like they did from the showroom new. 13.91 at 107. It is a museum piece now, a new rich owner. Thanks for asking, I was into the JD a little last night when Booger and I were doing the Mopar vs Chevy thing. :thumb:

Radar Chief
02-18-2005, 01:38 PM
You may be right, but those "little projects" like that always seem to turn into more than the "easy to install" directions on the box. :hmmm: I always end up with a part or two that was made by some hungover strokestick on the line and have to modify a few things.

I know what’cha mean, “bolt in kits” never are. There’s always a little custom fabrication involved.
I’d bet the main problem J Diddy’s gonna run into will be leaks, and since he’ll have to take it to a certified air conditioning shop to have it charged it’ll be one of those fix one leak find another kinda things. At least that’s been the main problem with the few air conditioner conversions I’ve witnessed.
Something to keep in mind J Diddy, I think you can have the air conditioner guy put some dye in when he charges the system, this’ll help track down those leaks.

Radar Chief
02-18-2005, 01:44 PM
Totally restored to original, so it ran about like they did from the showroom new. 13.91 at 107. It is a museum piece now, a new rich owner. Thanks for asking, I was into the JD a little last night when Booger and I were doing the Mopar vs Chevy thing. :thumb:

Kewl, too bad you sold it though, but I’m sure you’ve probably moved onto another project by now.
Although there’s been some friendly smack thrown back and forth between Bwana, PastorMike and myself over there dirty ricers ;) , I have no brand loyalty. I’ll go with whatever works.

Bwana
02-18-2005, 01:49 PM
Kewl, too bad you sold it though, but I’m sure you’ve probably moved onto another project by now.
Although there’s been some friendly smack thrown back and forth between Bwana, PastorMike and myself over there dirty ricers ;) , I have no brand loyalty. I’ll go with whatever works.On that note, I'm sure you will be happy to know that I am now driving a Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited for my driver of the month. :hmmm: So far, I haven't had to call on any of my buddies with a Land Cruiser to tow it back to my shop. :eek:

HemiEd
02-18-2005, 01:55 PM
Although there’s been some friendly smack thrown back and forth between Bwana, PastorMike and myself over there dirty ricers ;) , I have no brand loyalty. I’ll go with whatever works.

I sold it for fear we would have another muscle car value crash like we did in 88. I posted some pix in the cool car picture thread a while back. We are in agreement on the ricer thing. But one of my buddies has made a lot of money selling those stupid wings, big mouth mufflers and all of that other crap they put on them. He said it has slowed down a lot recently because the kids have figured out that one of those mufflers and a pink air tube won't make them run in the tens! ROFL

Radar Chief
02-18-2005, 02:05 PM
On that note, I'm sure you will be happy to know that I am now driving a Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited for my driver of the month. :hmmm: So far, I haven't had to call on any of my buddies with a Land Cruiser to tow it back to my shop. :eek:

Glad you returned from the dark side. :thumb:

Radar Chief
02-18-2005, 02:06 PM
I sold it for fear we would have another muscle car value crash like we did in 88. I posted some pix in the cool car picture thread a while back. We are in agreement on the ricer thing. But one of my buddies has made a lot of money selling those stupid wings, big mouth mufflers and all of that other crap they put on them. He said it has slowed down a lot recently because the kids have figured out that one of those mufflers and a pink air tube won't make them run in the tens! ROFL

“Well, the paint job alone took a second off my ¼ time.” ;)

Back before the Truck World BB got all screwed up, there was a guy selling those “Intake Tornado” thing-a-muh-jigs and the ricer kiddies were buy’n them left and right talk’n about how much faster it made there rigs. When the master mechanics showed up asking questions about how it’s supposed to work, the seller started talking in circles before leaving the board with a comment like, “well, I guess some people just don’t want to believe.” :rolleyes:

HemiEd
02-18-2005, 02:37 PM
“Well, the paint job alone took a second off my ¼ time.” ;)

Back before the Truck World BB got all screwed up, there was a guy selling those “Intake Tornado” thing-a-muh-jigs and the ricer kiddies were buy’n them left and right talk’n about how much faster it made there rigs. When the master mechanics showed up asking questions about how it’s supposed to work, the seller started talking in circles before leaving the board with a comment like, “well, I guess some people just don’t want to believe.” :rolleyes:

Funny Story! My Friend owns one of the shops that sells all of that junk and those rubber band tires with the Dubs.
He drives a Viper in the summer. One of those guys pulled up in his "Civic" in front of store and said in all seriousness: My Civic will outrun that thing! The Civic driver had no idea what the Viper even was.

Radar Chief
02-18-2005, 02:43 PM
Funny Story! My Friend owns one of the shops that sells all of that junk and those rubber band tires with the Dubs.
He drives a Viper in the summer. One of those guys pulled up in his "Civic" in front of store and said in all seriousness: My Civic will outrun that thing! The Civic driver had no idea what the Viper even was.

Yup, that sound’s ‘bout right.

J Diddy
02-19-2005, 02:12 AM
After some debate about the truck, I decided not to get it afterall. Instead I got a 94 Dakota with 80000 miles. It has cruise control, powersteering and yes AC.

Thanks everyone for all the help last night.

Phobia
02-19-2005, 10:53 AM
That's what my old man drives. What did you pay for it?

stumppy
02-19-2005, 11:10 AM

That's too funny.ROFL Hell, you can just look at a Viper and tell it's one fast mofo.
I've driven (hard) a lot of cars over the years and Viper's are the only ones that actually scared me. Every time I drove one I walked away thinking 'that's way too much power for just anyone to be able to drive'.

stumppy
02-19-2005, 11:11 AM
After some debate about the truck, I decided not to get it afterall. Instead I got a 94 Dakota with 80000 miles. It has cruise control, powersteering and yes AC.

Did you get one with the 5.2 L engine ?

J Diddy
02-19-2005, 11:59 PM
That's what my old man drives. What did you pay for it?

I got it for 6,000. Which for some reason is over the bluebook value by quite a bit, but I don't mind paying it. It is in perfect condition, runs great, and I like it. Sheez, around here I was lucky to get anything in good condition for under $10000.

No buyers remorse, so far it is fun as hell.

HemiEd
02-20-2005, 08:07 AM

Good move, I think you will be glad you did it. V6 or V8? I have a 90, they are nice! :thumb:

HemiEd
02-20-2005, 08:10 AM
That's too funny.ROFL Hell, you can just look at a Viper and tell it's one fast mofo.
I've driven (hard) a lot of cars over the years and Viper's are the only ones that actually scared me. Every time I drove one I walked away thinking 'that's way too much power for just anyone to be able to drive'.

I have not driven one, but I have ridden in his. Lots of fun! :thumb: