PDA

View Full Version : NHL not done yet...

unlurking
02-18-2005, 08:32 AM
I've seen several articles this morning about this, here is one from:

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/ny-spnhl0218,0,3368732.story?coll=ny-sports-headlines

Player offer in the offing?
Splinter group of players said to be drawing up labor plan without input from union

BY ALAN HAHN
STAFF WRITER

February 18, 2005

On the day after, there was quiet all around the NHL. No dueling faxes, no posturing and definitely no one talking -- publicly, anyway -- about the faction of players and agents working to put together a proposal to somehow save their sport, if not this season.

According to a person with knowledge of the situation, the group is forming an offer it hopes to soon present to the NHL. The proposal, the source said, involves a $46-million cap with a 100 percent luxury tax that starts at $42 million. There also is a provision that drops the cap to $42 million should more than eight teams hit the $46-million cap in the same season.

"This is not being done with the union," the source said.

It is not known whether the group will first approach NHL Players Association executive director Bob Goodenow to see if he will agree to present it to the league. If not, the group might circumvent Goodenow and offer it directly to NHL commissioner Gary Bettman. A source familiar with labor negotiations said such a "back channel" communication violates labor law but is a generally accepted tactic.

The motivation behind this stems from hints Bettman dropped during his news conference Wednesday, when he canceled the NHL season. The NHL's final proposal was a $42.5-million hard salary cap, while the NHLPA offered a $49- million soft cap. Bettman said if the union had brought a $44-million cap offer, the league would "have had to look at that very, very seriously." Bettman also said, "If they wanted 45 , they should have told us."

The source said it was "crystal clear the league would be willing to entertain another offer." The NHLPA continually denied there were any proposals under consideration within the union. NHL chief counsel Bill Daly said he has not been in contact with anyone.

The Hockey News, however, reported "veteran players are believed to be involved in a movement to resurrect the season." The publication quoted Detroit captain Steve Yzerman as saying there still is time to save the season.

"I don't know if it's necessarily tonight, tomorrow morning, Friday night or Saturday," Yzerman said. "I know the season has been canceled, but it's not too late to un-cancel it."

With the cancellation came a warning. ESPN executive vice president Mark Shapiro told the Chicago Tribune, "God forbid [for the league] we find something successful that takes the place of hockey."

unlurking
02-18-2005, 08:34 AM
Stole this thread from redwingscentral.com

It's register site, but here's some comments

In the Dallas Morning News,Mike Modano questioned the direction of the NHLPA leadership

"There were a lot of people who really couldn't understand how we could go so long not talking about a cap and then just change over to a cap like that," Modano said. "And a lot of people didn't like it."

Modano said the players weren't upset with the notion of a cap so much as they were the stance of their own union that possibly cost them five months of negotiations.

When asked if Goodenow had the support of the union, Modano replied, "I don't know, I don't know. I'm not sure."

http:// http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/registration/register.jsp?fw=http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/hockey/stars/stories/021805dnsponhlplayerslede.27c31.html

-

whoman69
02-18-2005, 08:54 AM
the NHL is once again in a situation where there is no hurry to get things done. if this was signed today then there still would be no season this year. they are in danger of once again going into the season with no agreement and the lockout continues.

once they do resume play, rules changes will need to go into effect and be enforced to bring skill back into the game.

unlurking
02-18-2005, 09:02 AM
the NHL is once again in a situation where there is no hurry to get things done. if this was signed today then there still would be no season this year. they are in danger of once again going into the season with no agreement and the lockout continues.

once they do resume play, rules changes will need to go into effect and be enforced to bring skill back into the game.
Agreed, but as a big hockey fan, I just want to see something done. The longer this drags out, the better the chance the NHL may collapse.

StcChief
02-18-2005, 09:04 AM
Let NHL Hockey go bye-bye for good. Who cares?

Iron Chef
02-18-2005, 09:14 AM

I enjoy watching Hockey. If you don't thats fine too, so I would say "I care." :harumph:

chiefs4me
02-18-2005, 09:29 AM

Some of us do care......and if you don't then keep your nose out of hockey threads.:harumph:

Hell I bet you like golf.......:cuss:

chiefs4me
02-18-2005, 09:32 AM
Agreed, but as a big hockey fan, I just want to see something done. The longer this drags out, the better the chance the NHL may collapse.

My team is screwed...there is no way they are going to be able to keep Arnott, Mikey and Zubie together....not with Guerin making the money he does. :deevee: Mikey was on our local Dallas station this am, talking about how there is only a 50-50 chance he will remain a star.:banghead:

Otter
02-18-2005, 09:33 AM

Me.

If you don't like threads about the NHL maybe you shouldn't open threadds that say NHL in the topic.

Just a thought.

Otter
02-18-2005, 09:35 AM
My team is screwed...there is no way they are going to be able to keep Arnott, Mikey and Zubie together....not with Guerin making the money he does. :deevee: Mikey was on our local Dallas station this am, talking about how there is only a 50-50 chance he will remain a star.:banghead:

I'm a Flyers Fan.

This was most likely the last year for John LeClair and maybe Roenick as well. Recchi is no spring chicken in the world of professional hockey either.

This whole thing sucks.

chiefs4me
02-18-2005, 09:39 AM
I'm a Flyers Fan.

This was most likely the last year for John LeClair and maybe Roenick as well. Recchi is no spring chicken in the world of professional hockey either.

This whole thing sucks.

One of my girlfriends is so in love with that dude...she has Recchi posters and pictures all over her room, and she is 38 years old.ROFL I am constantly giving her crap about his nose. Have you ever went to that av site called divealanche.com.....they have some funny crap over there. It's a guy who hates the avs so much he made a website about it. Check it out when you have time.

Bring back my hockey you SOB's.....:cuss:

Bearcat
02-18-2005, 10:15 AM
Who knows what Bettman would do... he's so set on getting his/the owners way, I'm almost convinced that he thinks that is more important than doing what is right for hockey (they aren't exactly the same thing).

Thig Lyfe
02-18-2005, 12:06 PM
Watching hockey players negotiate is kind of like watching a dog chasing his tail.

Bearcat
02-18-2005, 12:22 PM
Watching hockey players negotiate is kind of like watching a dog chasing his tail.

The players have been negotiating since December.

The problem is they haven't had anyone to negotiate with.

chiefs4me
02-18-2005, 12:37 PM
Who knows what Bettman would do... he's so set on getting his/the owners way, I'm almost convinced that he thinks that is more important than doing what is right for hockey (they aren't exactly the same thing).

What you just said is so damn true.....He doesn't care about the fans or hockey, or for that matter the owners. He just wants his way......and people in position are starting to see that.:thumb:

chiefs4me
02-18-2005, 01:05 PM
Screw that. It's much more fun to wander in, make some sort of half-assed generic anti-NHL comment, and watch all the NHL fans get their panties in a twist.

Men wear panties.......ROFL

Pitt Gorilla
02-18-2005, 01:14 PM
Me.

If you don't like threads about the NHL maybe you shouldn't open threadds that say NHL in the topic.

Just a thought.Good thought; now if you can get all the Denise haters to just not open her threads, there wouldn't be a problem!

TEX
02-18-2005, 01:19 PM
Who really gives a $HIT about the NHL? I have NEVER missed any sport less than I miss hockey. Honestly, I don't miss it one bit. Course I was never a real fan - I was more like a "fringe" one. This whole deal is all it took for me to never watch hockey again and not miss it.

Mr. Laz
02-18-2005, 02:07 PM
Splinter group of players said to be drawing up labor plan without input from union

............. and all hockey owners smile

Hercules Rockefell
02-18-2005, 08:18 PM
The Hockey News says that there is an agreement in principle. The season gets un-canceled tomorrow.

http://www.thn.com/en/headlines/detail.asp?id=27358&cat=954945254360

chiefqueen
02-18-2005, 08:27 PM
ESPN News isn't saying an agreement has been reached ..........they're just saying the sides are meeting tomorrow in NYC.

Hercules Rockefell
02-18-2005, 08:30 PM
ESPN News isn't saying an agreement has been reached ..........they're just saying the sides are meeting tomorrow in NYC.

ESPN is usually last on the hockey stuff. The Hockey News, TSN.ca, sportsnet.ca are the places that will have the info first. The Canadian media is much more interested in how this whole thing plays out over US media outlets.

chiefs4me
02-18-2005, 08:39 PM
Oh God......please let it be true........PBJ

Blitz
02-18-2005, 09:47 PM
I'm Canadian and I hope the season gets cancelled and the league goes bankrupt. What a F**Kin horrible sport this is, you guys are lucky that you DON'T get coverage of this montroscity, while we are bombarded with this crap.

It's to the point where out of a 30 minute sports show, they would have highlights and analysis of Anaheim vs. Nashville before showing NFL, NBA, College Hoops, etc (Real Sports). I was happy that Canadians realized what a marginal sport this was, to open there eyes as this league is considered in the same breath as bowling, wnba and darts.

Hopefully, this isn't true and the season STAYS cancelled.

F**K Hockey

cheeeefs
02-19-2005, 04:05 AM
I like curling more then i like hockey

Miles
02-19-2005, 04:17 AM
Great bring on the f#cking hocky highlights.

KCWolfman
02-19-2005, 09:02 AM
To the amateurs who don't appreciate hockey - I am other things are more your cup of tea, like baseball, the WNBA, and HGTV.

To the players - I hope none of you play another second on the ice. The sport left with true defense for anyone to watch is being taken away by greedy pricks like yourself.

Whomever believes this season isn't over, they are deluding themselves.

KCWolfman
02-19-2005, 09:02 AM
I'm Canadian and I hope the season gets cancelled and the league goes bankrupt. What a F**Kin horrible sport this is, you guys are lucky that you DON'T get coverage of this montroscity, while we are bombarded with this crap.

It's to the point where out of a 30 minute sports show, they would have highlights and analysis of Anaheim vs. Nashville before showing NFL, NBA, College Hoops, etc (Real Sports). I was happy that Canadians realized what a marginal sport this was, to open there eyes as this league is considered in the same breath as bowling, wnba and darts.

F**K Hockey
The NBA? Ahh, you are a casual fan who believes offense defines a sport. Good luck with that.

chiefs4me
02-19-2005, 10:27 AM
To the amateurs who don't appreciate hockey - I am other things are more your cup of tea, like baseball, the WNBA, and HGTV.

To the players - I hope none of you play another second on the ice. The sport left with true defense for anyone to watch is being taken away by greedy pricks like yourself.

Whomever believes this season isn't over, they are deluding themselves.

Well then I am deluding myself...because it's not over.....PBJ

Fairplay
02-19-2005, 10:31 AM
Well then I am deluding myself...because it's not over.....PBJ

Like this season will mean anything if they actually agree to a contract.

chiefs4me
02-19-2005, 10:31 AM

F**K Hockey

Why don't you try not clicking on threads about hockey if you hate it so much. Or why don't you change the channel on your tv....do you know how?

How sad to live somewhere that hockey is so loved and to be a dick like you........now why don't you go shut the **** up......

:thumb:

Hercules Rockefell
02-19-2005, 10:36 AM

Then let's put asterisks by all the Cups won when the season was 24 games long then too

chiefs4me
02-19-2005, 10:37 AM

Hell yea it will mean something......I get to go back to my stars board and see 28 plus games and a month off playoffs. You all that don't like hockey have no clue what you are missing. The most exciting sport I have seen.

Now come on Bettman you sorry ass.......make the announcement.PBJ

chiefs4me
02-19-2005, 10:38 AM
Nothing is better then being at a live hockey game 4 rows from the glass......gosh I can't wait.

chiefs4me
02-19-2005, 10:40 AM
Then let's put asterisks by all the Cups won when the season was 24 games long then too

Fairplay
02-19-2005, 10:58 AM
Nothing is better then being at a live hockey game 4 rows from the glass......gosh I can't wait.

Yeah, it is much better live then on television. You have seats that close to the arena?

chiefs4me
02-19-2005, 11:02 AM
I don't personally have those seats....my next door neighbor does. He is always giving them to me. He gets them thru work to hand out to clients. He knows what a big fan I am and if I can go he gives them to me. When I buy the tickets, we sit in the rowdy section...with all the drunks and trouble makers......ROFL

Fairplay
02-19-2005, 11:22 AM
I don't personally have those seats....my next door neighbor does. He is always giving them to me. He gets them thru work to hand out to clients. He knows what a big fan I am and if I can go he gives them to me. When I buy the tickets, we sit in the rowdy section...with all the drunks and trouble makers......ROFL

chiefs4me is the drunk and rowdy type? Say it ain't so.

Calcountry
02-19-2005, 11:40 AM
Me.

Just a thought.You tell em.

Spott
02-19-2005, 11:44 AM
I don't pay attention to hockey much, but if they want to save the sport, I think Bettman and the owners should not give in and stick to the hard cap, even if it means cancelling the season. All sports should have a hard cap.

Calcountry
02-19-2005, 12:15 PM
I don't pay attention to hockey much, but if they want to save the sport, I think Bettman and the owners should not give in and stick to the hard cap, even if it means cancelling the season. All sports should have a hard cap.agreed. Other than that we can just go back to having Hockey in Boston, Detroit, Chicago, New York, Montreal, and Toronto.

chiefs4me
02-19-2005, 12:45 PM
agreed. Other than that we can just go back to having Hockey in Boston, Detroit, Chicago, New York, Montreal, and Toronto.

You forgot the most important one of all......Dallas

chiefs4me
02-19-2005, 12:46 PM
chiefs4me is the drunk and rowdy type? Say it ain't so.

I have been known to have a few beers and get a little rowdy at the games........ROFL

Calcountry
02-19-2005, 12:49 PM

:thumb:The point was, the original 6.

Those are about the only places that will forgive much more of this chit.

bricks
02-19-2005, 12:59 PM

Well, there's absolutely no question he's in a real difficult position as we speak. Especially now since we've gone without hockey for so long, all the players, fans, media are pissed off at him. Its nothing different than looking for a scapegoat, person to blame for the cancellation of the NHL season. On the other hand, I'm not saying you, but, a lot of ppl fail to realize Gary Bettman is doing his job. I admire the way he is going abouts with this, and just the way he's handling it. All he is trying to do is better the economics of the game. And, he and the owners have a point. the whole economic structure of the game is screwed up. Bottomline is, we currently have a system that doesn't work. That whole entire concept of the players association willing to bring in a luxury tax, with a 24% rollback on their salaries, is b.s. All that's gonna prove is, they'll settle for less money, for now, and when it comes time to a contract renewal they'll demand more money, and if they don't get it, they rule it to an arbitraitor. and on top of that if a franchise's payroll over-exceeds 45 million, owners would have to pay a payroll tax on top. Guess where that money comes from? It comes from there revenue sharing. so imagine, players holding out, and on top of that owners are paying taxes cause their franchise payrolls are too high?! Absolutely bogus. I'm very pleased that the owners denied that proposal. The owners are doing a fantastic job, they are sticking together and are solid as a rock! Something has to be done, the contracts nowadays are ludicrus. Especially, when we witness 2nd tier, 3rd tier players getting multi-million dollar contracts. Now picture that around the entire league, nowadays, mostly every player wants a multi-million dollar contract. Imagine a team's roster filled entirely with players that require multi-million dollar contracts? How are the small market teams gonna survive? especially the small market Canadian teams like Calgary and Edmonton, and almost every player nowadays is demanding their contracts in U.S. dollars. Calgary will have a difficult time surviving especially since a majority of their revenue is in Canadian dollars. Ok, take Calgary as an example, Imagine if your Calgary, and, you had to convert a majority of your revenue into U.S. dollars. Top that off with the Luxury Tax system, and 24% rollback. Think they would survive? I don't think so. And that's why that system is bullsh*t. They did something similiar in the last CBA, and the owners got screwed. The owners are not going down this time.

Anyway, just trying to prove a point as to why the NHL is where it is today. Both sides weren't speaking the same language, and had philosophical differences. what angers me as a fan of the game, is, the last second effort by the NHLPA to save the season. Question is, why do they all of a sudden compromise to the cap, provided with linkage all of a sudden in the last second? and why not previously? Why would they have to waste all this time? It's absolutely ridiculous. So, who do we blame really? the players' association? goodenow? Bettman? the owners? This whole thing is frustrating, and can't really point fingers. Can't really blame Bettman and the owners, cause they are trying to better the economics of the game. Can't really blame the NHLPA cause they did compromise quite a bit. too be honest everybody is at stake here. Both players and owners. Heck, even Bars and restaurants are losing business, sports clothing stores are losing business off merchandise. FANS are frustrated and losing interest. The further this lockout continues the worse and worse everything will get. More importantly, what hurts in the end is the game of hockey. god, please save our game. Amen.

bricks
02-19-2005, 01:17 PM

I'm a leaf fan. chances are this may be the last I've seen of Belfour, Roberts, Niewandieuk :( :shake:

Calcountry
02-19-2005, 01:31 PM
Well, there's absolutely no question he's in a real difficult position as we speak. Especially now since we've gone without hockey for so long, all the players, fans, media are pissed off at him. Its nothing different than looking for a scapegoat, person to blame for the cancellation of the NHL season. On the other hand, I'm not saying you, but, a lot of ppl fail to realize Gary Bettman is doing his job. I admire the way he is going abouts with this, and just the way he's handling it. All he is trying to do is better the economics of the game. And, he and the owners have a point. the whole economic structure of the game is screwed up. Bottomline is, we currently have a system that doesn't work. That whole entire concept of the players association willing to bring in a luxury tax, with a 24% rollback on their salaries, is b.s. All that's gonna prove is, they'll settle for less money, for now, and when it comes time to a contract renewal they'll demand more money, and if they don't get it, they rule it to an arbitraitor. and on top of that if a franchise's payroll over-exceeds 45 million, owners would have to pay a payroll tax on top. Guess where that money comes from? It comes from there revenue sharing. so imagine, players holding out, and on top of that owners are paying taxes cause their franchise payrolls are too high?! Absolutely bogus. I'm very pleased that the owners denied that proposal. The owners are doing a fantastic job, they are sticking together and are solid as a rock! Something has to be done, the contracts nowadays are ludicrus. Especially, when we witness 2nd tier, 3rd tier players getting multi-million dollar contracts. Now picture that around the entire league, nowadays, mostly every player wants a multi-million dollar contract. Imagine a team's roster filled entirely with players that require multi-million dollar contracts? How are the small market teams gonna survive? especially the small market Canadian teams like Calgary and Edmonton, and almost every player nowadays is demanding their contracts in U.S. dollars. Calgary will have a difficult time surviving especially since a majority of their revenue is in Canadian dollars. Ok, take Calgary as an example, Imagine if your Calgary, and, you had to convert a majority of your revenue into U.S. dollars. Top that off with the Luxury Tax system, and 24% rollback. Think they would survive? I don't think so. And that's why that system is bullsh*t. They did something similiar in the last CBA, and the owners got screwed. The owners are not going down this time.

Anyway, just trying to prove a point as to why the NHL is where it is today. Both sides weren't speaking the same language, and had philosophical differences. what angers me as a fan of the game, is, the last second effort by the NHLPA to save the season. Question is, why do they all of a sudden compromise to the cap, provided with linkage all of a sudden in the last second? and why not previously? Why would they have to waste all this time?

Its because the found out the Owners werent' fuggin kidding. They found out they weren't bluffing. They actually had that straight flush in their hole cards BECAUSE, they weren't fuggin making any money. Do you know, that a lot of teams have made more money by the season NOT being played?

KCWolfman
02-19-2005, 01:36 PM

Johnny come lately homos.

Gordie Howe and his Wings rule

bricks
02-19-2005, 01:56 PM
Its because the found out the Owners werent' fuggin kidding. They found out they weren't bluffing. They actually had that straight flush in their hole cards BECAUSE, they weren't fuggin making any money. Do you know, that a lot of teams have made more money by the season NOT being played?

Really? please provide me with reason to believe that. I know that a lot of the NHL franchises are corporate owned. They probably can afford to wait.

chiefs4me
02-19-2005, 02:00 PM
I'm a leaf fan. chances are this may be the last I've seen of Belfour, Roberts, Niewandieuk :( :shake:

Don't tell anybody....but I still like and follow the Eagle and Newy......:thumb:

KCWolfman
02-19-2005, 02:01 PM
Really? please provide me with reason to believe that. I know that a lot of the NHL franchises are corporate owned. They probably can afford to wait.
I would venture to state they have not "made money" as bunnytrdr stated, but I bet they have lost less money than if the season were actually running.

chiefs4me
02-19-2005, 02:02 PM

Whatever.....I am not going to fight with you about your ding-a-lings....

Ultra Peanut
02-19-2005, 02:12 PM
NHL owners have thrived for the league's entire existence by crushing the players beneath them.

If the league ever does come back, it would be nice to see them get more in line with international rules. I'm nothing more than a very casual fan of hockey, if that, but olympic hockey is more fun to watch, in large part due to the bigger rinks.

BIG_DADDY
02-19-2005, 02:22 PM
This is the way I would like to see it go down with Badenever on the outside looking in.

unlurking
02-19-2005, 03:21 PM

Anyway, just trying to prove a point as to why the NHL is where it is today. Both sides weren't speaking the same language, and had philosophical differences. what angers me as a fan of the game, is, the last second effort by the NHLPA to save the season. Question is, why do they all of a sudden compromise to the cap, provided with linkage all of a sudden in the last second? and why not previously? Why would they have to waste all this time? It's absolutely ridiculous. So, who do we blame really? the players' association? goodenow? Bettman? the owners? This whole thing is frustrating, and can't really point fingers. Can't really blame Bettman and the owners, cause they are trying to better the economics of the game. Can't really blame the NHLPA cause they did compromise quite a bit. too be honest everybody is at stake here. Both players and owners. Heck, even Bars and restaurants are losing business, sports clothing stores are losing business off merchandise. FANS are frustrated and losing interest. The further this lockout continues the worse and worse everything will get. More importantly, what hurts in the end is the game of hockey. god, please save our game. Amen.
Great take.

A lot of people say yeah, but the owners are the ones that signed those contracts. Well, yeah they did, but if the players can't see that a 23 man roster being paid close to what a 53 man NFL roster is way out of line, then they don't care about the league and the sport. They just want their payday.

unlurking
02-19-2005, 03:29 PM

Rep!!

Wings Rule!

Sadly, we may never see Stevie on the ice again.

Fortunately, this team is actually in pretty good shape when you look at their farm. I am actually really excited to start seeing the rookies get playing time. I can't wait to see Grigorenko, Kronwall, and Hudler in the winged wheel. I think we've got quite a few up 'n comers.

On one hand I'm glad to see that we'll be forced into a youth movement with a cap, but the Yzerman era going out with such a whimper is disappointing. I still miss the Vladinator too.

Ultra Peanut
02-19-2005, 04:15 PM
I still miss the Vladinator too.How pathetic am I that I haven't really ever watched hockey all that regularly and still knew you were referring to Konstantinov?

Calcountry
02-19-2005, 04:18 PM
Really? please provide me with reason to believe that. I know that a lot of the NHL franchises are corporate owned. They probably can afford to wait.Of course they can. So the players are whose bitch?

Calcountry
02-19-2005, 04:19 PM
I would venture to state they have not "made money" as bunnytrdr stated, but I bet they have lost less money than if the season were actually running.Exactly my point. WTF open for business if you leave at the end of the day with less than you started out with?

Calcountry
02-19-2005, 04:21 PM
How pathetic am I that I haven't really ever watched hockey all that regularly and still knew you were referring to Konstantinov?Thats because greatness trancends the individuals sport.

chiefs4me
02-19-2005, 04:24 PM
How pathetic am I that I haven't really ever watched hockey all that regularly and still knew you were referring to Konstantinov?

I don't find that pathetic at all.....:thumb:

unlurking
02-19-2005, 04:39 PM
How pathetic am I that I haven't really ever watched hockey all that regularly and still knew you were referring to Konstantinov?
It's not pathetic, it just points to the fact that every sport has super stars, even if you're not a fan of the sport. The way Vlad played, if he had NFL talent, he woul'd be considered one of the best hitting safties in the game.

I'd love to have a guy with his heart and intensity on our defense.

unlurking
02-19-2005, 04:42 PM
Exactly my point. WTF open for business if you leave at the end of the day with less than you started out with?
Yep, and if you are supporting the players you're just a cry-baby liberal attacking capotolism. ;)

I think the owners and Bettman are the ones that screwed up this league to start with, but it still belongs to them. We need more players moving into ownership / management positions, but we need to fix the league financial issues before we can fix the game itself.

chiefs4me
02-19-2005, 05:26 PM
It's over...they didn't reach an agreement today. I hope all of them rot in hell....greedy sob's :banghead:

:deevee::cuss:

unlurking
02-19-2005, 05:43 PM
Yep, and sadly enough, the WHA is run so ineptly they can't even use this PERFECT opportunity to get going.

I'd start watching the WHA (large part due to its history) in a heartbeat.

Chief Roundup
02-19-2005, 06:53 PM
So do all you hockey guys think that this will be the end of the NHL?

Hercules Rockefell
02-19-2005, 07:00 PM

It might be the start of it. Canceling the season was bad because it might drive away the casual fan. To get the hardcore people's hopes up that the season could be saved only to find out neither side made a new proposal today, is going to be the bigger blow.

Chief Roundup
02-19-2005, 07:04 PM
I guess the real question should after this how or what does hockey have to do to save or spark interest back in its fanbase?

chiefs4me
02-19-2005, 07:05 PM

and gals......NO it's not the end. Just a delay.

bricks
02-20-2005, 02:27 PM

To answer your question, no. however, the game has reached a crisis, economically and structurally. The game is slowly losing it's popularity, publicity.

chiefs4me
02-20-2005, 02:30 PM
To answer your question, no. however, the game has reached a crisis, economically and structurally. The game is slowly losing it's popularity, publicity.

I haven't talked to you in awhile. Hope things are going great...This just sucks, I had hoped so much yesterday for them to announce we would be playing. I have no clue what to do for the month of June now.....ROFL I tend to plan vacation's and camp's around Lord Stanley...:deevee:

Fairplay
02-20-2005, 02:40 PM

I have a few ideas how to make it better. For one, people like to see scoring. 3-1 score in games don't interest a majority of the people. Widen the net about 18-24 inchs. Have penalities from one minute to three minute. Depending on the penaltie and how severe it is.
Use the shoot out in ties.
Anyway, they need to change something if they want a bigger fan base.

bricks
02-20-2005, 03:02 PM
I have a few ideas how to make it better. For one, people like to see scoring. 3-1 score in games don't interest a majority of the people. Widen the net about 18-24 inchs. Have penalities from one minute to three minute. Depending on the penaltie and how severe it is.
Use the shoot out in ties.
Anyway, they need to change something if they want a bigger fan base.

Well there is no doubt in my mind the NHL is a defensive league. Too many teams have adopted their style of play around the neutral zone trap. It was officially introduced to the league when the New Jersey Devils won the Stanley Cup in 1995. they were officially the first team to use the trap, and several teams followed thereafter. especially, the teams that do not have superior talent. That's when we officially witnessed a huge decrease in the game structurally. On the other hand, I concur with everything you mentioned.
I would like to add to everthing you mentioned. Here are some of my ideas on top of yours: widen the ice, similiar to european ice surface, possibly play a 4-on-4 instead of 5-on-5, eliminate the obstruction rules, decrease goaltending equipment, call for automatic icing, eliminate the goaltenders playing the puck behind the net, eliminate 2 line offsides. Do all this and the game we'll possibly see a dramatic increase structurally in the game, imo.

Fairplay
02-20-2005, 03:22 PM
I agree with you bricks especially the goalie parts. Im not sure about the 4-4 part. Widen the ice would be good. Wait that would take away more seating=money. Goodluck if that one goes through.

4th and Long
02-20-2005, 03:25 PM
I don't know what all the hubub is about. HBO still shows boxing on a regular basis. Minus the puck and the ice, it's pretty much the same sport ... isnt it? :p