PDA

View Full Version : How many kids did you lose in high school/grade school?

Rain Man
02-18-2005, 12:48 PM
The 'young people having strokes' posts in the Bruschi thread got me thinking.

I went to a high school that had about 300 to 350 graduates per year. We lost one kid my age to cancer (and I think other medical issues) my junior year, and one kid committed suicide on the football field when I was in 7th grade (he was in 8th grade).

My next door neighbor drowned when I was in 6th grade and he was in 2nd grade, but I obviously didn't know him from school. His brother was in my classroom, though, and he went to my school.

Other than that, we didn't lose anybody else during our school years, though we lost three classmates from my grade the year after we graduated: one to leukemia, one to lung cancer, and one in a car wreck.

So did I go to a safe school, a dangerous school, or something in between?

Saulbadguy
02-18-2005, 12:49 PM
Usually a couple per yer due to car accidents, starting in high school.

Katipan
02-18-2005, 12:52 PM
Senior year, our starting QB, captain of the football team, etc, etc, died in his sleep after incurring injuries in the Friday night game. He wasn't one of those asshole jocks, but treated nerd and neanderthal alike... Everyone loved him. We just got over that, when another classmate drove drunk into the side of Malibu. Prior to senior year, I hadn't ever lost any friends.

Phobia
02-18-2005, 12:54 PM
I had a friend lose a leg to cancer in Jr. High - the C got him shortly after we graduated. Lost another kinda close friend to hood surfing early in high school. If the same thing were to happen today, I'd have probably lost another friend (the driver) to jail forever.

Also lost 3 or 4 to leukemia, cancer, and car wrecks.

But, we only had about 120 graduates per year.

Saulbadguy
02-18-2005, 12:54 PM
I didn't really care for any of the people at my HS's that did die, not that I wanted them to die or anything. Except for this guy, I really felt for his family. He was set to walk-on to KU, he was pretty smart, and an all around good guy.

http://www.topeka.k12.ks.us/ths/justinramirezscholarship.htm

Saulbadguy
02-18-2005, 12:55 PM
Veering from the subject a bit... my fifth grade teacher died during my fifth grade year. That was an interesting experience.
Yeah. Our principal died when I was in 8th grade.

Hammock Parties
02-18-2005, 12:56 PM
I didn't really care for any of the people at my HS's that did die, not that I wanted them to die or anything.

Same here. In fact, I disliked most everyone except for a few select nerds like myself.

MOhillbilly
02-18-2005, 12:57 PM
not enough, ****in douchebags.

Demonpenz
02-18-2005, 12:57 PM
i graduated in 99 i have already had 3 die in car wrecks from a class of abot 70

Rain Man
02-18-2005, 01:00 PM
Veering from the subject a bit... my fifth grade teacher died during my fifth grade year. That was an interesting experience.

That would be different. Was it an accident, or was it something that wasn't unexpected?

siberian khatru
02-18-2005, 01:01 PM
I went to high school in NY State my first three years. I recall one death -- a guy a year ahead of me, drunk driving accident.

I moved my senior year to Bumf*ck, MO. Nobody died while I was in school, but since graduation, out of a class of less than 50, we lost one to brain cancer, one to a neurological disease and one to a motorcycle accident. Another became a judge who now is in federal prison for accepting a bribe to throw a case and conspiring to kill a witness to said bribe.

In elementary school, in 1st grade our librarian was killed in a car accident that fall. In 2nd grade a student was killed in a car accident right before school began; they planted a tree in the courtyard in her memory.

In college, my RA my freshman year in the dorm died over the summer while jogging. He was a (seemingly) healthy 21-year-old, great guy.

Phobia
02-18-2005, 01:05 PM
I lost a friend who drank too much water.

Truthfully, he wasn't really a friend but I wish he had been.

siberian khatru
02-18-2005, 01:05 PM
I knew jogging was bad for you.

That's why I don't do anything over a brisk walk.

Nzoner
02-18-2005, 01:46 PM
Wide receiver on the football team at the homecoming game jumped up for a pass and got sandwiched by 2 defenders,was in a coma for awhile then died.

Can't recall any others in high school but did lose 3 classmates within 2 years of graduating.

cdcox
02-18-2005, 03:17 PM
A girl in my daughter's high school just died a couple weeks ago in a single car accident. The school is only about 600 people.

One of my HS classmates' brother committed suicide. Another 3 died in a car wreck the year after we graduated. Another kid in my scout troop, but not my HS, died in a drunk driving accident a couple years later.

I think its pretty rare not to lose someone your own age between the ages of 15 and 21. Them's dangerous years.

Ultra Peanut
02-18-2005, 03:31 PM
One rich 8th grade cheerleader offed herself when I was in middle school.

One of my friends got leukemia a little while after that, but he kicked its ass.

ChiTown
02-18-2005, 03:41 PM
I went to HS in KC.

A classmate of mine was shot and killed at the old Waid's Restaurant on SM Parkway. Two guys came in to rob the place after hours. My classmate was working in the Kitchen and had come up to the front of the restaurant and ran into the robbery as it was happening. He got a look at what was going on, and turned to head back toward the kitchen. As he turned back, the fughead shot him in the back with a shotgun. He died shortly thereafter. He was 16 yrs old.

siberian khatru
02-18-2005, 03:47 PM
This is becoming a depressing thread.

InChiefsHeaven
02-18-2005, 03:47 PM
Well, I had a friend die in a car accident, but what got me was we had 2 or three suicides like right after high school. They were popular guys, last one you'd expect type thing. I learned then that not everything is ever as it seems. It has made me look and think of people differently...you rarely ever really know anyone I guess...

siberian khatru
02-18-2005, 03:49 PM
It's about classmates dying. What did you expect?

Some tasteless jokes. This is where you come in.

Rain Man
02-18-2005, 03:51 PM
I learned then that not everything is ever as it seems. It has made me look and think of people differently...you rarely ever really know anyone I guess...

This is becoming a depressing thread.

Please close down my account.

(Bang.)

siberian khatru
02-18-2005, 03:52 PM
Please close down my account.

(Bang.)

Ah, levity.

siberian khatru
02-18-2005, 03:53 PM
NO, Rain man! Wait!!

Damnit.

Uh... dibs on the BMW!

Oh, yeah, like you really wanted to stop him.

ChiTown
02-18-2005, 03:56 PM
Isn't it enough that I'll think of him every time I hit 70?

Hell, they might pull you over because of the color of the car before they get you for speeding.

siberian khatru
02-18-2005, 03:59 PM
You think when I tell my tearful story about my dearly departed friend Kevin I'll get out of the ticket?

Yes, unless they check your trunk.

Kerberos
02-18-2005, 04:12 PM
Girl in my class during my HighSchool years was a confirmed dyke and not much to look at to say the least ... good friends and all she would hang out with the guys and drink beer at parties and we would leave her at the end of the night to go after other girls or our girlfriends .... She blew her head off with a shotgun a year after we graduated. Couldn't take the pressure of being homely and and dyke.

Average class size at my high school was 15-25

KCFalcon59 would know who I am talking about!

Cliff

Phobia
02-18-2005, 04:15 PM
Isn't it enough that I'll think of him every time I hit 70?

He's really old, but I don't think he's 70.

siberian khatru
02-18-2005, 04:18 PM
Teenage Suicide -- Don't Do It

http://www.vamp.org/Gothic/Images/images/heathers-cast.gif

mcan
02-18-2005, 04:23 PM
A kid in my brother's class died from Leukemia... Don't remember his name though.

During high school, one of my friend's brothers was a goaltender. During a soccer game there was a breakaway and the opposition scored. The brother (having just gotten scored on) was pissed off... Stood up, said "Where's my fu_king DEFENSE!" and then dropped dead instantly. He had a rare heart condition that nobody knew about until the autopsy.

My ninth grade year, a bunch of guys got into a rumble during the Olathe North/Shawnee Mission North Homecoming game. A bunch of people from both sides got really roughed up. They said they would come back there on Sunday to "finish it." Sunday came and there were a bunch of kids up at the school. Some were playing a pickup game of football at the field and others were there to fight. A car pulled up with a bunch of Shawnee Mission North kids. One of them opened fire into the crowd of my friends. Five people were shot and hurt badly. Two were killed. One, I didn't know and he didn't go to our school. The other was Wilson Montenagro, and I'd known him since the 4th grade.

A couple years after high school, my best friend from the 3rd and 4th grade was at his brother's wedding reception. He had done a few too many drugs in his junior high/high school days and had been in a few mental institutions. (One time for eating plants in the living room, the other time for kicking his infant sister). Anyway, the reception was in Florida at his brothers loft. He was sitting in the living room playing video games one second, and the next he was standing on the balcony ledge looking over from 5 stories up. His family made him get down and promise that he was alright. A couple hours later, he got back up and people looked over just in time to see him do a perfect swan dive staight down...

siberian khatru
02-18-2005, 04:26 PM
A couple hours later, he got back up and people looked over just in time to see him do a perfect swan dive staight down...

And?

Iowanian
02-18-2005, 04:26 PM
I went to a small school.......I knew at least 4 kids who were killed in car wrecks, 2 who were shot, and a couple who ODd.

In the "area" I knew alot more.

Kerberos
02-18-2005, 04:27 PM
Teenage Suicide -- Don't Do It

http://www.vamp.org/Gothic/Images/images/heathers-cast.gif

"Heathers" was a KICK ASS movie IMHO !!

REP

:)

Cliff

siberian khatru
02-18-2005, 04:28 PM
I went to a small school.......I knew at least 4 kids who were killed in car wrecks, 2 who were shot, and a couple who ODd.

In the "area" I knew alot more.

As usual, wherever Iowanian goes, carnage follows.

Iowanian
02-18-2005, 04:30 PM
2 friends died in a car........they'd pulled into the guy's garage to test their wedding tackle, left the car running because it was cold, and died of CO poisoning. He was honestly smiling at his funeral.

mcan
02-18-2005, 04:36 PM
And?

Duh... Water magically appeared on the cement below, and he would have gotten the gold if the damned Russians weren't so picky.

:shake:

Seriously, it was pretty bad. They cleaned him up for the funeral and had an open casket. The whole top of his head was blueish and swollen. All you could do was look at him and shake your head at such a tremendous waste of life. The funeral was great though, as far as funerals go. Instead of a traditional funeral, people took turns getting up and telling stories about him, and his brother played a song he had written. Then they took him outside and buried him in the small cemetary that was outside of the church. As they lowered him in, they played Pink Floyd's "Learning To Fly" and handed out the lyrics to everybody.

Katipan
02-18-2005, 04:38 PM
Pink Floyd is better than "Blackberry Molassas", and "Crossroads"

ChiefsOne
02-18-2005, 04:39 PM
I went to a small school, so everyone pretty much knew everyone else. Had quite a few die through high school in car accidents and even a few years after. I was in a wreck with a friend two years after HS and he died.

One friend died of cancer when we were in 8th grade.

mcan
02-18-2005, 04:41 PM
You're kidding, right?

Not at all. I was a bit surprised too. But, it was actually kind of appropriate. Despite the obvious joke, the lyrics fit his life very well, and seemed like a nice little tribute. Plus, it was one of his favorite bands/songs...

Nzoner
02-18-2005, 04:42 PM
You're kidding, right?

My first thought as well.

Nzoner
02-18-2005, 04:58 PM
Plus, it was one of his favorite bands/songs...

That's what counts,I had a buddy buried in his Chiefs jacket and jeans.