PDA

View Full Version : OT: What'd you have for dinner?

Scanfan55
02-19-2005, 04:17 PM
Hidey-Ho campers. Another fun-filled three day weekend... can you hear my excitement? :rolleyes:

Anyway, got my ass up this morning and actually went grocery shopping. The good kind, where you purchase stuff that came from the ground and everything.

I made dinner tonight in the same amount of time it would take me to microwave something .. and it was way better. Brown rice; Salmon with a teriyaki/honey glaze and asparagus. Why don't I do this more often, she thinks?

I am on a new health kick. Let's see how long it lasts.

chiefs4me
02-19-2005, 04:27 PM
Well last night we had pizza.....remember the time difference, so that means post of us haven't had dinner yet today.

How much is a gallon of milk up that way now...I don't envy you the prices. I lived upstate by Utica for 5 years and wow......

chiefs4me
02-19-2005, 04:28 PM
Hey are you by chance hearing anything about the hockey talks...since you are up that way?

Scanfan55
02-19-2005, 04:35 PM
Hey are you by chance hearing anything about the hockey talks...since you are up that way?

A gallon of milk? Well, its just me and so I buy a half gallon. A half gallon of skim milk is about 1.49.

All they are reporting on the new england news is that the players association wanted to continue talks and so, despite the season being cancelled, the association and the league are going back to the table.

Whoops. Forgot about the time thing.

chief52
02-19-2005, 04:39 PM
I am barbecuing beer can chicken tonight. Salad and asparagus on the side. Looking forward to it...altough it is only 2:38 here. I have a while to go.

chiefs4me
02-19-2005, 05:02 PM
We have beer can chicken almost every other weekend in the summer....we camp alot.:thumb:

Scanfan55
02-19-2005, 05:04 PM
We have beer can chicken almost every other weekend in the summer....we camp alot.:thumb:
Ok I'll bite. For us snobby new england folks, what in the blazes is "beer can chicken"?

Bowser
02-19-2005, 05:04 PM
Chips and dip so far.......

unlurking
02-19-2005, 05:06 PM
Starting with Lemonodka for an appetizer.

(Felt like being a kid again)

badgirl
02-19-2005, 05:06 PM
Ok I'll bite. For us snobby new england folks, what in the blazes is "beer can chicken"?
I have never heard of it either, maby we'll get an answer soon. :hmmm:

unlurking
02-19-2005, 05:08 PM
Stick a chicken on an open beer can and through it the smoker/grill/oven.

Really keeps the meat moist and flavors well. I actually like Dr. Pepper and a little liquid smoke.

unlurking
02-19-2005, 05:11 PM
Beer can chicken is actually VERY good.

I love Steven Raichlen's stuff. His BBQ-U show on PBS is really good too. Here is a basic beer-can chicken recipe.

http://www.barbecuebible.com/featured/recipe/basic_beercan_c.php

Okay, here it is. The master recipe for the beer-can chicken, the showstopper that will dazzle your family and friends. If you’ve never made beer-can chicken before, start here, and once you’ve mastered the basic procedure, there’s no limit to its variations.

1 can (12 ounces) beer
1 chicken (31/2 to 4 pounds)
2 tablespoons All-Purpose Barbecue Rub (recipe below) or your favorite commercial rub
2 teaspoons vegetable oil

You’ll also need:
2 cups wood chips or chunks (preferably hickory or cherry), soaked for 1 hour in water and/or beer to cover, then drained
Vertical chicken roaster (optional)

Pop the tab off the beer can. Pour half of the beer (3/4 cup) over the soaking wood chips or chunks, or reserve for another use. If cooking the chicken on the can, using a church key-style can opener, make 2 additional holes in its top. Set the can of beer aside. Remove the packet of giblets from the body cavity of the chicken and set aside for another use. Remove and discard the fat just inside the body and neck cavities. Rinse the chicken, inside and out, under cold running water and then drain and blot dry, inside and out, with paper towels. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of the rub inside the body cavity and 1/2 teaspoon inside the neck cavity of the chicken. Drizzle the oil over the outside of the bird and rub or brush it all over the skin. Sprinkle the outside of the bird with 1 tablespoon of rub and rub it all over the skin. Spoon the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons of rub into the beer through a hole in the top of the can. Don’t worry if the beer foams up: This is normal.

If cooking on a can: Hold the bird upright, with the opening of the body cavity at the bottom, and lower it onto the beer can so the can fits into the cavity. Pull the chicken legs forward to form a sort of tripod, so the bird stands upright. The rear leg of the tripod is the beer can. If cooking on a roaster: Fill it with the beer mixture and position the chicken on top, following the manufacturer’s instructions.

Tuck the tips of the wings behind the chicken’s back. Set up the grill for indirect grilling and preheat to medium. If using a charcoal grill, place a large drip pan in the center. If using a gas grill, place all the wood chips or chunks in the smoker box or in a smoker pouch and preheat on high until you see smoke, then reduce the heat to medium.

When ready to cook, if using a charcoal grill, toss all of the wood chips or chunks on the coals. Stand the chicken up in the center of the hot grate, over the drip pan and away from the heat. Cover the grill and cook the chicken until the skin is a dark golden brown and very crisp and the meat is cooked through (about 180°F on an instant-read meat thermometer inserted in the thickest part of a thigh, but not touching the bone), 11/4 to 11/2 hours. If using a charcoal grill, you’ll need to add 12 fresh coals per side after 1 hour. If the chicken skin starts to brown too much, loosely tent the bird with aluminum foil.

If cooking on a can: Using tongs, hold the bird by the can and carefully transfer it in an upright position to a platter. If cooking on a roaster: Use oven mitts or pot holders to remove the bird from the grill while it’s still on the vertical roaster.

Present the bird to your guests. Let the chicken rest for 5 minutes, then carefully lift it off its support. Take care not to spill the hot beer or otherwise burn yourself. Halve, quarter, or carve the chicken and serve.

Serves 2 to 4

All-Purpose Barbecue Rub

Variations on this rub have appeared in each of my barbecue books. There are four basic ingredients-salt, black pepper, paprika, and brown sugar-and by varying the proportions you can create an almost endless variety of flavors. For a spicier rub use hot paprika instead of sweet paprika. You could also substitute granulated sugar, light brown sugar, or Sucanat (powdered evaporated sugarcane juice) for the dark brown sugar. There isn’t a fish that swims, a bird that flies, or a beast that walks that wouldn’t benefit from a generous sprinkling of this multipurpose rub.

1/4 cup coarse salt (kosher or sea)
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 cup sweet paprika
2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper

Put the salt, brown sugar, paprika, and pepper in a small bowl and stir to mix. (Your fingers actually work better for mixing the rub than a spoon or whisk does.)

Store the rub in an airtight jar away from heat and light; it will keep for at least 6 months.

Makes about 3/4 cup

Over-Head
02-19-2005, 05:16 PM
Simple cuisine this evening, a 5th of Jack, and 2 joints :bong:

Over-Head
02-19-2005, 05:18 PM
A gallon of milk? Well, its just me and so I buy a half gallon. A half gallon of skim milk is about 1.49.

All they are reporting on the new england news is that the players association wanted to continue talks and so, despite the season being cancelled, the association and the league are going back to the table.

Whoops. Forgot about the time thing.

2 litres (half a gallon) is $3.25 here in NL.

unlurking
02-19-2005, 05:28 PM
Hmmm

I was gonna go out for dinner, but all this talk about BBQ is making me wanna grill!

Think I'm gonna send the wife to the store for a few KC Strips and a couple pounds of jumbo prawn.

If anyone's interested, here's a great (quick, simple, easy) recipe for BBQ Prawn.

1 Cup Olive Oil (spend the $$, get a good imported brand)
1/3 Cup White Wine Vinegar
2 Tablespoons Jack Stack All Purpose Rub
1 Pound Prawn (shell-on)

Mix the marinade and throw 3/4s in a gallon zip lock back with prawn. Marinade for about 30-45 minutes (vinegars make the flavor soak into meat faster) then throw on grill on low / medium heat, about 3 - 5 minutes a side. (I have a pretty cool little shiskabob grill thing that holds 6 skewers so you can flip them all at the same time. Works really well for grilling lots of shrimp.) I also use the reamaining 1/4 marinade mix to baste each side (once immediately, and a second after 2 - 3 minutes.)

Peel 'n eat!

The cool thing about cooking them in the shell, is that you ALMOST can't overcook them, which is a common problem with grilled shrimp. The shell and the basting keep in the moistiure. Hell, I've even grilled them with the lid down before!

chiefs4me
02-19-2005, 05:33 PM
Those are pretty good instructions for the chicken...but it you make it sound hard for them.

Just open a can of beer and spice the chicken like you want and fit chicken on beer can....put on grill and cook...you will figure it out as you go. We always have to fix 2 or more as it's so good.:thumb:

unlurking
02-19-2005, 05:41 PM
Those are pretty good instructions for the chicken...but it you make it sound hard for them.

Just open a can of beer and spice the chicken like you want and fit chicken on beer can....put on grill and cook...you will figure it out as you go. We always have to fix 2 or more as it's so good.:thumb:
Yeah, it really is INCREDIBLY easy to make beer-can chicken, but I figured the recipe had some pretty detailed info for anyone who has never cooked a chicken sitting on its butt before!

To me, the great thing is experimenting with the liquid in the can. Dr. Pepper really gives it a nice sweet and spicy flavor. I still use a paste (dry rub mixed with a little beer) for coating the bird. I actually put it on pretty thick trying to work some under the skin on the breasts (ooh, that didn't quite come out right).

Call me gauche, but I actually really like the Jack Daniels wood chips as well.

chief52
02-19-2005, 05:50 PM

Yes, the instructions are great but they do make it sound a lot harder than it is. Fire up the briquets, put the rubbed chicken on an open beer can and kick back and swill while it cooks.

I always cook 2 as well. You got it all fired up, might as well cook 2. Great for sandwiches if you do not eat it then. Very moist.

I bought one of those 2 beer can holders from Cabela's and I love it. No chance of them falling over. Have nice handles to carry the chicken back to the kitchen or table. Works great.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jhtml?id=0014342515356a&type=product&cmCat=search&returnString=hasJS=true&_D%3AhasJS=+&QueryText=beer+can&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jhtml.22&Go.x=16&Go.y=4&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=beer+can&noImage=0&returnPage=search-results1.jhtml

P.S. I also always loosely tent the bird with tin foil. The skin comes out perfect for me that way.

4th and Long
02-19-2005, 05:57 PM
Beer. It's what's for dinner.

Hammock Parties
02-19-2005, 06:00 PM
I think I'll order a pizza.

chief52
02-19-2005, 06:00 PM
Yeah, it really is INCREDIBLY easy to make beer-can chicken, but I figured the recipe had some pretty detailed info for anyone who has never cooked a chicken sitting on its butt before!

To me, the great thing is experimenting with the liquid in the can. Dr. Pepper really gives it a nice sweet and spicy flavor. I still use a paste (dry rub mixed with a little beer) for coating the bird. I actually put it on pretty thick trying to work some under the skin on the breasts (ooh, that didn't quite come out right).

Call me gauche, but I actually really like the Jack Daniels wood chips as well.

So Dr. Pepper works well? My buddy is a Junior Varsity basketball coach and he asked me if he could have the players over here for an end of the year party...my place is a lot closer than his for the kids. He is cooking tri-tip for them and I am going to do the chicken. Would not look to good if we had beer cans for a bunch of 14-16 year olds. I think I will try the Dr. Pepper.

unlurking
02-19-2005, 06:03 PM
Yes, the instructions are great but they do make it sound a lot harder than it is. Fire up the briquets, put the rubbed chicken on an open beer can and kick back and swill while it cooks.

I always cook 2 as well. You got it all fired up, might as well cook 2. Great for sandwiches if you do not eat it then. Very moist.

I bought one of those 2 beer can holders from Cabela's and I love it. No chance of them falling over. Have nice handles to carry the chicken back to the kitchen or table. Works great.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jhtml?id=0014342515356a&type=product&cmCat=search&returnString=hasJS=true&_D%3AhasJS=+&QueryText=beer+can&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jhtml.22&Go.x=16&Go.y=4&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=beer+can&noImage=0&returnPage=search-results1.jhtml

P.S. I also always loosely tent the bird with tin foil. The skin comes out perfect for me that way.
VERY NICE!!!

I'm buying one of those doubles tonight!! I usually tent just to help hold the chicken up (I like the crispy skin).

Thanks for the link!

Hammock Parties
02-19-2005, 06:06 PM
And I think I'll make myself some wings, too. Bitchin'.

unlurking
02-19-2005, 06:07 PM
So Dr. Pepper works well? My buddy is a Junior Varsity basketball coach and he asked me if he could have the players over here for an end of the year party...my place is a lot closer than his for the kids. He is cooking tri-tip for them and I am going to do the chicken. Would not look to good if we had beer cans for a bunch of 14-16 year olds. I think I will try the Dr. Pepper.
Yeah, saw him recommend it as an alternative on BBQ-U. I still use a paste (dry rub and beer), but the Dr. Pepper gives a very unique spicy and sweet taste while still keeping the chicken moist. I think strong sweet paprika in the rub mixes well with the Dr, Pepper.

I'm thinking of trying Tommyknocker Maple Nut Brown for my next beer-can chicken, as one of the main flavors is maple syrup. I like sweet and spicy type flavors.

go bo
02-19-2005, 06:14 PM
2 litres (half a gallon) is $3.25 here in NL.dayum...

is everything that high in newfie land?

or just you...

er, what i mean is...

or is it that the sheep demand premium pay for letting people milk them?

chief52
02-19-2005, 06:14 PM
VERY NICE!!!

I'm buying one of those doubles tonight!! I usually tent just to help hold the chicken up (I like the crispy skin).

Thanks for the link!

No problem. Hey, it works great! No more worry about if falling over, carrying it off...etc. Holds them up perfectly.

I have not experimented much with the rub, although I should. I buy a 23 oz. container of McCormick Montreal Chicken Seasoning at Costco and it works well for me. I have also coated it with minced Garlic as well as rub. Very tasty....but you gotta like garlic.

David.
02-19-2005, 06:19 PM
turkey and swiss on vienna white with lettuce tomatoes, pickles, mayo, vinegar and oil, pepper, and banana peppers.

with fries.

it was good.

go bo
02-19-2005, 06:32 PM
celebrating my son's 26th birthday, so it was t-bone steaks, steamed veggies, baked potatos and some sort of fancy bread that i didn't recognize (but it was tasty nonetheless)...

oh, and a couple of white russians...

unlurking
02-19-2005, 06:33 PM
No problem. Hey, it works great! No more worry about if falling over, carrying it off...etc. Holds them up perfectly.

I have not experimented much with the rub, although I should. I buy a 23 oz. container of McCormick Montreal Chicken Seasoning at Costco and it works well for me. I have also coated it with minced Garlic as well as rub. Very tasty....but you gotta like garlic.
LOL

Two of my favorite spices are garlic and paprika (although not mixed). One of the things I like about beer-can chicken is you can really mix things up with the rub and the liquid, and it is very hard to screw it up. No matter what you do it usually tastes pretty damn good.

unlurking
02-19-2005, 06:35 PM
turkey and swiss on vienna white with lettuce tomatoes, pickles, mayo, vinegar and oil, pepper, and banana peppers.

with fries.

it was good.
Hmmm

Turkey and Swiss are my favorite sandwich combo.

Wife is on her way to the store for steak and prawn for dinner, now you got me thinking about what to send her for lunch for tomorrow!!

:)

Hammock Parties
02-19-2005, 06:35 PM

Did you get your carpet back?

unlurking
02-19-2005, 06:36 PM

Come on now!

Leaving the main course for last?!?!?!

;)

htismaqe
02-19-2005, 06:55 PM
slow-smoked pork ribs at a local place called Kin Folks.

Not the best, but it weren't bad.

go bo
02-19-2005, 06:58 PM
Did you get your carpet back?carpet?

a white russian is a pale ex-communist, isn't it?

go bo
02-19-2005, 06:59 PM
Come on now!

Leaving the main course for last?!?!?!

;)actually, i spread it out...

before, during and after...

i guess that's probably m0re than a couple... :p :p :p

Hammock Parties
02-19-2005, 07:00 PM
carpet?

a white russian is a pale ex-communist, isn't it?

http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-images/Film/Pix/pictures/2000/01/21/BigLebowski128.jpg

Phobia
02-19-2005, 08:32 PM
http://www.spatenusa.com/3_products/3_1_prod_spectrum/3_1_1_produkt/images/optimator.jpg

http://www.aaltonet.com/spaetzle/images/plate.jpg

The wife likes to have some german for her birthday. Heh.

Nzoner
02-19-2005, 08:34 PM
I finally got the balls to try Buffalo Wild Wings Blazin sauce on a couple of legs.......damn good.

stumppy
02-19-2005, 08:38 PM
Headed out ot pick up Mexican Villa right now.

Nzoner
02-19-2005, 08:56 PM

I'd have to pass,a waitress with hair under her pits would ruin my appetite.

Phobia
02-19-2005, 09:00 PM
I'd have to pass,a waitress with hair under her pits would ruin my appetite.

You're thinking of the french.

go bo
02-20-2005, 10:15 AM
http://www.spatenusa.com/3_products/3_1_prod_spectrum/3_1_1_produkt/images/optimator.jpg

The wife likes to have some german for her birthday. Heh.and for mother's day she likes a little japanese?

Phobia
02-20-2005, 10:18 AM
and for mother's day she likes a little japanese?
Actually I think we're going to P.F. Changs this afternoon. I think I'll enjoy that. I usually do.

Bowser
02-20-2005, 10:21 AM
Actually I think we're going to P.F. Changs this afternoon. I think I'll enjoy that. I usually do.

Passing up the Cheesecake Factory?

:shake:

Phobia
02-20-2005, 11:15 AM
Passing up the Cheesecake Factory?

:shake:
Yeah - my parents brought that up, but we like P.F. Changs better.

htismaqe
02-20-2005, 11:32 AM
Yeah - my parents brought that up, but we like P.F. Changs better.

I would agree, as would my family and the 'rents.

We've been to the CF a couple of times and the food just isn't that great, especially considering the prices.

Changs is MUCH better.

unlurking
02-20-2005, 11:33 AM

What, no crack about satisfying the wife by inviting a guy over in lederhosen?

Phobia
02-20-2005, 11:38 AM
I would agree, as would my family and the 'rents.

We've been to the CF a couple of times and the food just isn't that great, especially considering the prices.

Changs is MUCH better.

I like CF just fine. I've never had something I didn't like there. But I prefer PFC.

Bowser
02-20-2005, 11:42 AM
I like CF just fine. I've never had something I didn't like there. But I prefer KFC.

Gonna get some Thunderbird to wash that down, too?

:D

htismaqe
02-20-2005, 11:48 AM
I like CF just fine. I've never had something I didn't like there. But I prefer PFC.

See, that's my problem.

When I'm paying those kind of prices, I expect the food to be a little better than "just fine".

Phobia
02-20-2005, 11:54 AM
See, that's my problem.

When I'm paying those kind of prices, I expect the food to be a little better than "just fine".

I should be more specific. I've enjoyed my entre' each time I've gone to Cheesecake Factory which is often since there was one on the ground level of my former office building. I think it's a very safe place to take out of town guests or business associates because they have something for everyone there. It's just not a special occasion establishment for me.

BIG_DADDY
02-20-2005, 11:56 AM
Sushi tonight with Braincase. He is in town with a big bottle of sake from Japan.

htismaqe
02-20-2005, 12:00 PM
I should be more specific. I've enjoyed my entre' each time I've gone to Cheesecake Factory which is often since there was one on the ground level of my former office building. I think it's a very safe place to take out of town guests or business associates because they have something for everyone there. It's just not a special occasion establishment for me.

Well, I should be more specific too. :D

The one in DSM is close to my office, so the only time I've eaten there is over lunch. I have a hard time paying $10-15 for a club sandwich or something similar, especially when it really isn't that good.