PDA

View Full Version : Coles to be released?

SBK
02-21-2005, 09:31 AM
I know I know, it's PFT, but we'll know tomorrow if they're right. Would be a great WR in our system. (and super expensive Im sure.)

I would prefer D, but we do have a big need at WR too.

LAVERANUES LEAVING D.C., REFUNDING TEAM?

In a stunning move, the Washington Redskins are likely to release receiver Laveranues Coles, who has asked to be let go due to his displeasure with his role in the team's offense under Joe Gibbs.

The Washington Post reports that Coles' agent, Roosevelt Barnes, and Redskins owner Daniel Snyder have reached an oral agreement (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A40538-2005Feb20.html) that Coles will be let go on or after February 22, the first day on which teams can release players.

Coles has met twice with Gibbs to express his desire to leave, and Gibbs opted to accommodate his wishes. In exchange, Coles reportedly will pay back a portion of the $13 million signing bonus he received a week after he inked an offer sheet two years ago while a restricted free agent with the Jets.

Based on his seven-year, $35 million contract, the release will trigger a cap charge of $9.28 million, which will be offset by the partial refund and by his 2005 salary. With the team only a couple of million under the cap heading into the start of a new NFL calendar year, some additional restructurings (or some outright releases) will be necessary before the end of the week.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

Saulbadguy
02-21-2005, 09:31 AM
That'd be awesome, if it were true.

unlurking
02-21-2005, 09:34 AM
I like Coles, would be nice.

In other words ain't gonna see him in the red 'n gold any time soon.

htismaqe
02-21-2005, 09:49 AM
If we spend top dollar on a WR, I'm gonna be super pissed.

I don't care who it is. Yes, we could use an upgrade at WR. But the simple fact remains:

This team can contend for a Super Bowl with their existing WR's, provided the defense is improved.

jspchief
02-21-2005, 09:50 AM
Coles is an underachiever, not sure I'm that excited about him.

I do know he was very fast when he played at FSU, so maybe he'd fit well in Vermeil's offense

Deberg_1990
02-21-2005, 09:52 AM
Hes worth a look for sure. I wouldnt pay top dollar for him though. If he can be had for a low figure id love it, but im sure there are many other teams out there that would be willing to give him more loot than us.

DaWolf
02-21-2005, 09:59 AM

I don't care who it is. Yes, we could use an upgrade at WR. But the simple fact remains:

This team can contend for a Super Bowl with their existing WR's, provided the defense is improved.

I dunno man. I mean it doesn't take brain surgery to know that if we have to spend money, the priority HAS to be on the defensive side. But we really should not ignore the offense either. We're due to slip in production, and we have to keep ahead of the defenses of the other teams in the division. Getting a big time WR would be important in the sense that when we play real good defenses, they can't just clamp down on Gonzo and dare us to beat them with our other recievers if they grab a lead. We can be inconsistent sometimes, and we''ve got to be better if we're losing to Denver on the road because they take away Gonzo and get held to under 20 at home against New England. We have to beat those teams.

If we can get a wideout to upgrade the offense, I'd go for it. Frankly, I think it is entirely possible to upgrade the defense and still get a wideout. We're not going to sign 3 all stars on defense. The only thing preventing the Chiefs from making all around upgrades is the Chiefs. The salary cap isn't something that can't be manipulated.

All that said, I don't know if Coles is the guy to get...

unlurking
02-21-2005, 10:12 AM
If we could land 3 new starters in FA (CB, LB, and WR) and go defense the first 4 rounds, I'd be ecstatic. Realisticaly, I'll be surprised/happy if we get a CB and a LB in FA. If we could bring in a new WR as well, I'd be all for it.

I doubt we have the wiggle room to do it, but it's still a nice dream.

The Bad Guy
02-21-2005, 10:17 AM

If we sign a top available linebacker and corner then there is no reason we shouldn't sign an upgrade at WR.

WR is a weakness that has been masked beautifully by Saunders. If we added someone like Porter, Mason or Coles then it just makes our offense THAT much better.

htismaqe
02-21-2005, 10:31 AM
If we sign a top available linebacker and corner then there is no reason we shouldn't sign an upgrade at WR.

WR is a weakness that has been masked beautifully by Saunders. If we added someone like Porter, Mason or Coles then it just makes our offense THAT much better.

If we sign a top LB and CB, there won't be any money left for Coles, who will be paid like a top-5 WR.

If we sign Coles, there won't be any money left for a top LB and CB.

I'm all for getting WR help - Mason IMO would be a good option - but I'm not for signing a FA WR that will leave us with no room to upgrade the defense.

BigChiefFan
02-21-2005, 10:32 AM
If we address the defense with a couple of FAs and the draft, I'd be all for landing a young, veteran WR. Coles can stretch a defense with his speed and I'm sure Al Saunders could find some big plays for him.

teedubya
02-21-2005, 10:34 AM
everytime i hear the name Jerry Porter... I begin to envision him in Red n Gold... then I get this urge to go whack off on Fire Me Boys! computer.

unlurking
02-21-2005, 10:35 AM
ROFL

milkman
02-21-2005, 10:41 AM
everytime i hear the name Jerry Porter... I begin to envision him in Red n Gold... then I get this urge to go whack off on Fire Me Boys! computer.

I think Derek Mason has better hands, so he'd be more help here. :hmmm:

Deberg_1990
02-21-2005, 10:52 AM
I think Derek Mason has better hands, so he'd be more help here. :hmmm:

Exactly. I hope we are targeting Mason, Sameri Rolle and Ed Hartwell. That would be super if we got at least 2 of those 3.

philfree
02-21-2005, 10:57 AM
I was reading where Issac Bruce might end up a cap casualty. I think he would be an awsome FA pick up who could play any WR position on our offense the 1st day of practice. I'd take him before any other FA WR in 2005. An impact player fromn day one.

PhilFree :arrow:

unlurking
02-21-2005, 11:02 AM
I was reading where Issac Bruce might end up a cap casualty. I think he would be an awsome FA pick up who could play any WR position on our offense the 1st day of practice. I'd take him before any other FA WR in 2005. An impact player fromn day one.

Interesting.

Haven't watched him recently. How's is speed holding up and what's his age?

whoman69
02-21-2005, 11:04 AM
It is too big a luxery for us to go after a top flight WR this season when we have more need of a CB, LB, S and DE. I think the young players we have now are going to step up and play better than Morton ever did. It could also turn out that one of our underachieving CBs is made into a S, most likely Bartee.

unlurking
02-21-2005, 11:15 AM
It is too big a luxery for us to go after a top flight WR this season when we have more need of a CB, LB, S and DE. I think the young players we have now are going to step up and play better than Morton ever did. It could also turn out that one of our underachieving CBs is made into a S, most likely Bartee.
I actually don't mind the thought of moving Bartee to safety. On e thing the guy can do his hit, and he solid in run support.

As far as DE, I seriously doubt anything will happen there. DV and Gun both love Hicks. Hopefully Allen has another good year and gets more playing time. I also actually was pretty impressed watching Browning take spot duty at DE. I wouldn't mind seeing him replace Hicks, which would cost us nothing.

As far a top flight, I'm hoping we get a #1 corner and a veteran MLB. I don't mind seeing what Fox can do knowing Barber will be back (I may be one of the few that likes Barber).

I doubt we can pick up 3 FAs, but 1 CB, 1 MLB, and then if there's anything left 1 WR would be great. I'd still go after a CB in round 1, and probably a LB in round 2.

Thig Lyfe
02-21-2005, 11:15 AM

Absolutely.

Prime example: New England Patriots. They've won 3 Super Bowls with David Givens as their top reciever this year. He had 56 catches. 56!

That being said, Coles, Burress, or Mason would be a fine addition to the WR corp. However, another Titans cap casuality (Samari Rolle) would be much more important to the team as a whole.

WilliamTheIrish
02-21-2005, 11:22 AM
If we can get Coles for a pair of shoes, I'd do it.

Thig Lyfe
02-21-2005, 11:23 AM
If we can get Coles for a pair of shoes, I'd do it.

Shoes are way too valuable.

William Bartee, maybe. Not shoes.

philfree
02-21-2005, 11:29 AM
Interesting.

Haven't watched him recently. How's is speed holding up and what's his age?

He had 1292 yards recieving in 2004 so I'd say it's holding up pretty good.

Kclee
02-21-2005, 11:29 AM
I actually don't mind the thought of moving Bartee to safety. On e thing the guy can do his hit, and he solid in run support.

No way do I want him anywhere on the field. He still doesn't have an INT. Ever. Constantly out of position and always being burned. I don't think switching him to safty would improve him all that much. Plus, Woods/Wesley of 2004 looked awful, but I'd still take that over Bartee.

KevB
02-21-2005, 11:32 AM
If we sign a top LB and CB, there won't be any money left for Coles, who will be paid like a top-5 WR.

I'm all for getting WR help - Mason IMO would be a good option - but I'm not for signing a FA WR that will leave us with no room to upgrade the defense.

I don't see the top 5 WR. He's got a lingering foot ailment that he's played through, but teams will be hesitant to pay him top dollar.

ct
02-21-2005, 11:40 AM

My thoughts precisely!!

LTownChief
02-21-2005, 11:45 AM
he would be perfect for our offense, that would be awesome. But would he fit DVs profile? didn't he have some issues in college that dropped him in the draft? I dont think he's had any problems in the NFL though

The Bad Guy
02-21-2005, 11:51 AM
he would be perfect for our offense, that would be awesome. But would he fit DVs profile? didn't he have some issues in college that dropped him in the draft? I dont think he's had any problems in the NFL though

Dick Vermeil's profile is bullshit. He kept a murderer on his roster in 1999.

His profile is a crutch to use as an excuse not to sign a player.

milkman
02-21-2005, 11:58 AM

I agree.
And let us not forget about the woman beater that he gave numerous chances.

Brock
02-21-2005, 11:59 AM
Coles had a misdemeanor battery charge in college, and was also involved in the Peter Warrick Dillard's "scandal", so he was forced to leave FSU. He's been on the straight and narrow in the NFL. Certainly less of a problem than Eric Warfield has turned out to be.

philfree
02-21-2005, 11:59 AM

I read through DVs profile once and I really don't remember it saying anything about a bunch of "goody two shoes". I'd like to read his profile again(I've been looking but haven't been able to locate it.) but from what I remember the biggest thing he wants is players who are self motivated and love to play football. Love to play football at practice as well as in the games. Players who show up everyday wanting to go to work and play football. IMO there's alot of folks going round knocking DV and his profile these days who don't even know what the profile is about.

milkman
02-21-2005, 12:04 PM
I read through DVs profile once and I really don't remember it saying anything about a bunch of "goody two shoes". I'd like to read his profile again(I've been looking but haven't been able to locate it.) but from what I remember the biggest thing he wants is players who are self motivated and love to play football. Love to play football at practice as well as in the games. Players who show up everyday wanting to go to work and play football. IMO there's alot of folks going round knocking DV and his profile these days who don't even know what the profile is about.

Didn't DickWad at one time say that Terrell Owens didn't fit his profile?

If what you say is true, then there isn't any reason that TO wouldn't fit his profile.

If I'm wrong about DickWads stance on TO, then ignore this post.

WilliamTheIrish
02-21-2005, 12:06 PM
Coles had a misdemeanor battery charge in college, and was also involved in the Peter Warrick Dillard's "scandal", so he was forced to leave FSU. He's been on the straight and narrow in the NFL. Certainly less of a problem than Eric Warfield has turned out to be.

Yep. Coles took all the heat for the Warrick (Free Shoes University) incident.

During a MNF game (or was it a SN ESPN game?) when they do the little player bio's, Coles gave his high school name rather than be associated with FSU.

He hates Bowden and FSU for making him the fall guy.

Guy can't be all bad. :)

philfree
02-21-2005, 12:10 PM
Didn't DickWad at one time say that Terrell Owens didn't fit his profile?

If what you say is true, then there isn't any reason that TO wouldn't fit his profile.

If I'm wrong about DickWads stance on TO, then ignore this post.

No I don't think he said that. I think he said he didn't have time for T.O. or somthing like that. As much as T.O. gives it his all I still don't don't think he is a great team player. He's a prema donna.(sp?) Like I said I like to find the dreaded Profile again so I could read it. I think people have a mis-understanding about it. Or I do :shrug:

Miles
02-21-2005, 12:19 PM
Isnt that the site thats about as reliable as the Starr BB?

Pitt Gorilla
02-21-2005, 01:06 PM
This was on ESPN radio this morning.

Miles
02-21-2005, 01:09 PM
This was on ESPN radio this morning.

Yeah i just saw it on ESPN's site as well.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1996404

unlurking
02-21-2005, 01:16 PM
Man, would be nice to get a good young WR like that. If our D hadn't been so shitty the last few years, we could probably do this.

Sure-Oz
02-21-2005, 01:45 PM
Yes, i would go after coles if we can.

Frankie
02-21-2005, 01:51 PM
I wouldn't mind watching hot "Coles" burn Champ a few times a season.

Stats please.

LTownChief
02-21-2005, 01:59 PM
No I don't think he said that. I think he said he didn't have time for T.O. or somthing like that. As much as T.O. gives it his all I still don't don't think he is a great team player. He's a prema donna.(sp?) Like I said I like to find the dreaded Profile again so I could read it. I think people have a mis-understanding about it. Or I do :shrug:

I remember Coles saying in some interview a couple years ago that he would have been a top 10 pick without a doubt if it weren't for that

TEX
02-21-2005, 02:05 PM

Based on his seven-year, $35 million contract, the release will trigger a cap charge of $9.28 million, which will be offset by the partial refund and by his 2005 salary. With the team only a couple of million under the cap heading into the start of a new NFL calendar year, some additional restructurings (or some outright releases) will be necessary before the end of the week.

Wow. With ALL the players that Schneider signes on an annual basis, one would think that the Skins would be in CAP HELL. There goes another salary cap myth... :shake:

Alphaman
02-21-2005, 03:27 PM
-- Redskins Now Trying to Trade Unhappy Coles? --
Mon Feb 21, 2005 --from FFMastermind.com

ESPN reports sources close to Washington Redskins WR Laveranues Coles told ESPN.com on Monday morning that the Redskins were "trying to back off" their agreement to release the wide receiver and that they were tryng to trade him before making such a drastic move. A trade would be difficult, though, since the Redskins would absorb a salary cap hit in excess of $9 million. "They can't have it both ways," said one source. "If he's going to repay part of [his signing bonus], it's because he can be a free agent, and choose where he continues his career, not to have them trade him. Honestly, it's a mess right now."

The Redskins need OL and WR. Send them a 5th, #15 overall, Welbourne and Morton for Coles and #9.

Sure-Oz
02-21-2005, 04:40 PM
Insteresting trade scenario, that #9 pick would be nice.

Mr. Laz
02-21-2005, 10:03 PM
Source: Coles wants out
Redskins and receiver appear to be parting ways

Posted: Monday February 21, 2005 3:13PM; Updated: Monday February 21, 2005 7:58PM

First Rod Gardner, now Laveranues Coles. The Washington Redskins could lose both their top receivers after an unsatisfying season in coach Joe Gibbs' offense.

Coles has met with Gibbs twice to state his desire to leave the Redskins, including a forthright conversation the day after the season ended, an official within the league told The Associated Press on condition of anonymity Monday. The Redskins, in turn, have told Coles they want him to have surgery on the chronic toe injury that has plagued him the last two seasons, a procedure that Coles has been reluctant to undergo, the source said.

Gibbs called reporters to Redskins Park on Monday to address the Coles situation, but the coach offered few details.

"I've had talks with him," Gibbs said. "Everything that we've discussed is going to be between me and him."

Coles' meetings with Gibbs were first reported by The Washington Post, but Gibbs said the Post's report that the meetings were likely to lead to Coles' release was "inaccurate."

"Hopefully something will work out good for him and good for us," Gibbs said.

Last month, the Redskins granted Gardner's request to seek a trade. Coles and Gardner accounted for a combined 141 catches and 1,600 yards for the Redskins last season, but both were disenchanted with a conservative offense that produced few big plays downfield and ranked 30th overall.

"I know that was a frustration for everybody," Gibbs said.

Coles had 90 catches for 950 yards for a career-low 10.6 yards a catch and only one touchdown in the Redskins' 6-10 season. The year before, under pass-oriented coach Steve Spurrier, Coles had 82 receptions for 1,204 yards and six touchdowns.

Coles will find it difficult to get an outright release from the Redskins unless he is willing to give back some of the $13 million signing bonus he received when he signed a seven-year, $35 million contract as a free agent from the New York Jets two years ago. The Redskins could instead grant Coles permission to seek a trade, as they have with Gardner, but Gibbs said that had not been done as of Monday.

After Gibbs' first meeting with Coles, which came a day after the season-ending victory over Minnesota, Coles stormed past reporters in the parking lot and told them to call his agent for any news about him.

While Coles has been unhappy with the offense, the Redskins have been concerned about Coles' right big toe, which has a stress fracture and became arthritic. Coles opted for rest instead of surgery after the 2003 season, but the injury continued to bother him in 2004. Gibbs has said the decision whether to have surgery is up to Coles, but the team wants him to have the procedure if he is to stay with the team, the source said.

Coles' agent, Roosevelt Barnes, did not return calls Monday.

Copyright 2004 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

TEX
02-21-2005, 10:27 PM
-- Redskins Now Trying to Trade Unhappy Coles? --
Mon Feb 21, 2005 --from FFMastermind.com

ESPN reports sources close to Washington Redskins WR Laveranues Coles told ESPN.com on Monday morning that the Redskins were "trying to back off" their agreement to release the wide receiver and that they were tryng to trade him before making such a drastic move. A trade would be difficult, though, since the Redskins would absorb a salary cap hit in excess of $9 million. "They can't have it both ways," said one source. "If he's going to repay part of [his signing bonus], it's because he can be a free agent, and choose where he continues his career, not to have them trade him. Honestly, it's a mess right now."

The Redskins need OL and WR. Send them a 5th, #15 overall, Welbourne and Morton for Coles and #9.

No way Washington would want WilBURN. He's coming off one of his worst seasons ever and he's often injured.

Frankie
02-21-2005, 11:52 PM
Insteresting trade scenario, that #9 pick would be nice.

But unrealistic.

DaWolf
02-22-2005, 02:30 AM

There was an article posted a year or so ago about the definition of the profile. But with the search function out of commission, well, that's out.

Basically his player profile is a guy who have talent that can be coached and the guy has to be willing to work hard and be a team player. Beyond that the player has to fit into the system they are running. And he likes "character" guys.

Nothing wrong with that. Many coaches have a profile that they want their players to fit. Marty had his profile. Guys like Bellichik and Cowher have their profiles. Guys like Gruden, Jerry Jones, and Dan Snyder don't seem to follow a profile as they just like to mix and match whatever is available and has a "name."

Problem is if you don't evaluate the talent correctly or don't coach it well, your profile won't matter much...

Alphaman
02-22-2005, 06:12 AM
No way Washington would want WilBURN. He's coming off one of his worst seasons ever and he's often injured.

Fine, substitute Bober for Welbourne.

Eleazar
02-22-2005, 08:11 AM
MEBBEE TEHY WILL GIVE US COLEZ N GARDNER 4 LJ OMGZ~