PDA

View Full Version : Titans to Clean house this coming Monday

redbrian
02-21-2005, 04:18 PM
Don't know if this has been posted, but here it is.

Anyone wanting to pick up Samari even though he has a little problem.

Titans expected to release Mason, five others
Nashville, TN (Sports Network) - The Tennessee Titans are expected to release six players as early as Monday to make room on the team's salary cap.
According to The Tennessean, the Titans will cut receiver Derrick Mason, cornerback Samari Rolle, defensive tackle Kevin Carter, offensive tackle Fred Miller, fullback Robert Holcombe and kicker Joe Nedney.
The moves are in an attempt to get below the NFL's salary cap by the March 2 deadline. The Titans entered the offseason $27 million over the cap, which was the highest figure in the league.
Mason is the first player in franchise history to post four straight 1,000- yard receiving seasons. Last year, the Michigan State product caught a career- high 96 passes for 1,168 yards with seven touchdowns.
Originally drafted in 1997, Mason, who has spent his entire career with the Oilers/Titans, is scheduled to make $4.7 million this year. In his career, Mason has 453 receptions for 6,114 yards with 37 scores.
Rolle, who is one of the club's top cornerbacks, would have counted for nearly $10 million against the salary cap in 2005 and his release is apparently not linked to his recent arrest on domestic assault charges.
In his career, Rolle has recorded 23 interceptions and one touchdown.
Carter, a 10-year veteran, who has also spent time with the St. Louis Rams, has 320 tackles and 86 sacks in his career. The Florida product, who was an integral part of St. Louis' Super Bowl team during the 1999-2000 season, would have had a salary cap figure of just under $14 million, the biggest number on the team.
Miller has started at right tackle for five consecutive seasons, but his cap number of $9.32 million was too high for the team.
Nedney, who will make just over $1 million in base salary, might re-sign with Tennessee. The kicker, who has missed most of the last two years with various injuries, will likely be in training camp to try and win back his job.
The Titans also decided not to exercise their options on the contracts of tight end Shad Meier and wideout Eddie Berlin, making both players unrestricted free agents.
Tennessee, meanwhile, is still trying to restructure contracts with several other players, including quarterback Steve McNair.

Wile_E_Coyote
02-21-2005, 04:23 PM
they released Miller, Carter, Rolle, Mason, Needney & Holcome...titans news conference

philfree
02-21-2005, 04:29 PM
they released Miller, Carter, Rolle, Mason, Needney & Holcome...titans news conference

Is it just me or is their gonna be a ton of decent free agents this year?

PhilFree :arrow:

the Talking Can
02-21-2005, 04:35 PM
Cut Morton, Sign Mason

Sure-Oz
02-21-2005, 04:38 PM
We better get some decent FA's thsi year.

Wile_E_Coyote
02-21-2005, 04:39 PM
Is it just me or is their gonna be a ton of decent free agents this year?

PhilFree :arrow:

looks that way so far :)

Wile_E_Coyote
02-21-2005, 04:41 PM
could Carl have been right to have waited

~do I get baned now or do I get a last post

unlurking
02-21-2005, 04:43 PM
could Carl have been right to have waited

~do I get baned now or do I get a last post
lol

With only 4.5 mill "projected" to spend, I don't see how this gets us more than 2 quality FAs. I'd like to see 3, but that's a stretch.

tyton75
02-21-2005, 04:50 PM
I think with 4.5mil.. you could probably get 3 or 4 with backend contracts and decent signing bonus's spaced out.. etc..

Probably not the BEST avail.. but damn good guys nonetheless