PDA

View Full Version : A sad story, and positive thought request..

Joe Seahawk
02-22-2005, 01:37 AM
Hi all, recently a classmate of my sons was diagnosed with Leukemia, obviously most 10 year olds aren't quite sure how to handle that type of news..

Anyway, the b-ball team my son plays on happened to be scheduled for a pre- game scrimmage before the T-Wolves and Supersonics battle at Key arena, the coaches of my sons team came up with a great tribute idea, the following is an e-mail from the coach of my boy's team..

Hello everyone,

This email is for all those who are attending the Sonics vs. Timberwolves game on Friday, Februrary 25th. As a friendly reminder, please join us at 6:30 at the Key Arena which is an hour before Sonics/Timberwolves tip off to watch the pregame events. This includes our team’s scrimmage game dedication to Alex McKinley, a classmate and friend from Loyal Heights Elementary school who was recently diagnosed with Leukemia.

Doors will open at 6:30 and please plan on arriving on time to get awesome seats for the pregame events.

Parents, families, and friends – everyone is welcome to sit at or near courtside to watch the pregame events. If you are asked to leave, let the ushers know that you are with the team that is playing during the pregame scrimmage. They’ll request you move only if the courtside ticketholder wants their seat. If you get lucky, select one of the black seats – these cost $700 per ticket, per game.

For the players and kids, please meet at the Fan Information booth outside of section 118 (do not go to courtside or the assigned seats on your tickets). Players, please wear your black shorts and black shoes. Players and kids will be brought down to the locker room and be given Sonics shirts to wear. All players and kids will hold a large sign and walk onto the center of the court together as the PA announcer introduces the group and the dedication to Alex. Then, the players will position themselves for tip off and the other kids will hold the sign while sitting on the players’ benches. The scrimmage will last about 8 minutes (they seem to run out of breath any longer than that) and the video guys will take a video from start to finish. Cross your fingers and pray there are no technical difficulties! We are bringing our own video camera just in case.

BTW, Alex Mckinley (http://www.thestatus.com/index.cfm?fa=patdet&pid=70125121105&CFID=61849&CFTOKEN=27171277) I found out tonight will be attending the game with us..:thumb: He is truly amazing..

|Zach|
02-22-2005, 02:26 AM
Sounds like it will be a great experience for the kids and parents alike. Best of luck to Alex.

teedubya
02-22-2005, 02:33 AM
God Bless you Alex... Get well buddy.

ptlyon
02-22-2005, 07:51 AM
Done Joe. Be strong Alex.

ZepSinger
02-22-2005, 07:53 AM
This one of a parent's worst nightmares. I cannot imagine the heartache a family goes thru when you have a terminallly ill child.

I'm gonna go give all my daughters big hugs right now(and thank God for their health).

Z