PDA

View Full Version : Trading Woods and Sims---would you do it?

shaneo69
02-22-2005, 02:41 PM
I realize it's probably useless to talk about trading guys whose names haven't even come up in trade rumors, but I'm getting bored waiting to hear that Vonnie Holiday has been officially cut.

So with that in mind, would you trade....

1) Jerome Woods to San Diego for a 5th rounder? I believe the Chiefs have to pay the 2nd tier of a signing bonus they agreed to last year. It may be as little as $500,000, but I really don't want to see Woods in red and gold next year. Marty's starting free safety in 2004 was Jerry Wilson, a journeyman who is now a UFA. I'm sure Marty would salivate at the thought of bringing another ex-Chief to S.D.

2) Ryan Sims to Carolina for a 3rd rounder. Yes, this would be admitting Sims was a bust, but Carl has already (basically) done that in recent interviews. Maybe going back to his college town and playing next to his college buddy would light the fire, but it's apparent that it won't happen here. Carolina needs a replacement for an aging Brentson Buckner to play between Peppers and Kris Jenkins. We need the 3rd round pick we (allegedly) gave up for Welbourn. Of course, the 3rd rounder for Welbourn is not official yet since it hasn't been posted on KCChiefs.com. I would be happy with a 3rd rounder because I think it would be a case of addition by subtraction. Let's stop waiting for 4-5 years for guys to develop when they drag down our team in the meantime. Move Sharpe up from practice squad and make Siavii a starter in '05. If Siavii turns out to be no better than Sims, then trade him next year instead of putting the team through this agonizing process of waiting for guys to develop.

Rain Man
02-22-2005, 02:42 PM
I wouldn't make either of these trades.

Hammock Parties
02-22-2005, 02:42 PM
Woods, yes. Sims, no.

Sims isn't worth the draft pick we spent on him, but he's not the second coming of Nate Hapslap-Poopchute or anything...

booger
02-22-2005, 02:46 PM
Woods yes. Make it a 2nd for sims and yes. Sims isn't easy to trade b/c of the signing bonus.

I don't think he is worth giving up on yet either, at least not for something like a 2nd. Aint gonna happen anyway.

shaneo69
02-22-2005, 02:46 PM
Forgot to mention.....I don't think Sims' signing bonus would be a deterrent since he's already played 3 years of his original contract and it probably wasn't more than about $5 mil anyway.

Logical
02-22-2005, 02:48 PM
No way on Sims, he is certainly no star but is serviceable for the d-line rotation. Besides Carl is lousy with 2nd and 3 round picks so we would most likely just be completely wasting Sims.

kc rush
02-22-2005, 03:17 PM
Yes on Woods, especially if it frees up more cap room.

No on Sims. This is his last year to prove himself.

FloridaMan88
02-22-2005, 03:18 PM
I wouldn't mind trading Woods, but I'd hate to trade him to a divisional rival like San Diego.

booger
02-22-2005, 03:32 PM
I've about had it with Woods just the same as Hicks.

I would really like to see Wesley sack up and be a man and play up to his ability. Potentially I see Wes as a good FS ballhawk. Tall and rangy. IF we fill enough of our holes in FA that would allow us to LOOK at strong safety prospects like Thomas Davis, Donte Nicholson, and Shazor in the first couple of rounds. Big IF though.

ck_IN
02-22-2005, 03:36 PM
I don't think either trade is feasible. I wouldn't trade Woods to a division team just in case he has a revival but I'd make the trade to an NFC team in a heartbeat.

As for Sims if you could find a sucker that would pay for him, go for it.

philfree
02-22-2005, 03:38 PM
Woods has quit hitting. He let to many recievers catch the ball last year before he tried to make a play at the ball adn then he just swatted at it. That's BS and if he'd lowered the boom the catch wouldn't have been made. He needs to be replaced.........If we get two good CBs Warfield would make an excellent FS IMO.

PhilFree :arrow:

booger
02-22-2005, 03:40 PM
EW would be an option. That is a big IF on aquiring Two top tier FA CB's though.

And right now EW is our best CB. I do like the idea of a ballhawk FS with some pass coverage skills to help our DB's though.

philfree
02-22-2005, 03:50 PM
EW would be an option. That is a big IF on aquiring Two top tier FA CB's though.

And right now EW is our best CB. I do like the idea of a ballhawk FS with some pass coverage skills to help our DB's though.

My thinking is that if we get a good FA CB who is Warfields or equal or better hopefully and then draft a CB with our 1st pick and if the guy starts working out good enough we could start him and move #44 to FS and then to $.05 when we got to that package. Harts or Pile or ??? could come in and play FS in that situation. MIght work :shrug:

booger
02-22-2005, 03:52 PM
My thinking is that if we get a good FA CB who is Warfields or equal or better hopefully and then draft a CB with our 1st pick and if the guy starts working out good enough we could start him and move #44 to FS and then to $.05 when we got to that package. Harts or Pile or ??? could come in and play FS in that situation. MIght work :shrug:

Not Likely but Possible. I like your thinking on it just alot to hope for.

I like Harts at SS and Pile at FS.

Harts is a FA. I would take him back at a decent price but nothing more. Pile is a nice fall back option or backup.

philfree
02-22-2005, 04:00 PM
Not Likely but Possible. I like your thinking on it just alot to hope for.

I like Harts at SS and Pile at FS.

Harts is a FA. I would take him back at a decent price but nothing more. Pile is a nice fall back option or backup.

I have no idea what's likely at this point I just come up with a scenario and then run it up the flag pole. I think since we need to CBs and a FS upgrade this could be an econimical and effectice way to have new starters at three positions in the 2ndary.

booger
02-22-2005, 04:12 PM
Well they need help that's for sure. And it is the priority even before fixing the LBs.

Be interesting to see how it turns out.

shaneo69
02-22-2005, 04:20 PM
I wouldn't move Warfield to Safety until he was too slow to play CB. When you find a guy in this league who can actually play CB somewhat decently, you've gotta leave him there.

philfree
02-22-2005, 04:27 PM
I wouldn't move Warfield to Safety until he was too slow to play CB. When you find a guy in this league who can actually play CB somewhat decently, you've gotta leave him there.

I can't disagree with that logic but if Warfield is gonna miss some games due to suspension then we're gonna have to have someone capable of replacing hime for those games. IMO a 1st round rookie from this draft is better then anyone else we have so in the process of preparing for that we could go ahead and move Warfield to FS when he comes back if the guy filling in does a good enough job. Just food for thought.

the Talking Can
02-22-2005, 04:27 PM
I'd trade Sims for a bad case of elephantitis of the ballsack.

That's how worthless he is. We could use that Bernie guy from "Weekend at Bernie's" and have more success.

Chiefnj
02-22-2005, 04:40 PM
I wouldn't trade either.

Woods is one of the few defensive players who, at one time, demonstrated the ability to play football. He certainly slipped last year, but I am hoping it was due to injury and poor play by the other positions. I hold out some hope he can return to first half of 2003 form.

Although Sims is a bust as the 6th round pick, the Chiefs do not have many bodies at DT and cannot afford to lose a serviceable rotational player.