PDA

View Full Version : CB Gary Baxter and MLBer Hartwell FAs

BigChiefFan
02-22-2005, 05:06 PM
February 22, 2005
TAGGED OUT

By Adam H. Beasley

As expected, the Ravens voided the final year of wide receiver Kevin Johnson’s contract and did not apply the franchise tag to any of their unrestricted free agents Tuesday.

Johnson, who now can sign with any team in the league, beat 12 of his former Ravens teammates to the open market. Cornerbacks Gary Baxter and Deion Sanders, linebacker Edgerton Hartwell and center Casey Rabach are among the dozen unrestricted free agents whose contracts will expire next week.

While none of this came as a surprise, there were some unexpected developments around the league over the past few days.

The Tennessee Titans underwent the biggest salary cap purge Monday, when they released six significant contributors, including receiver Derrick Mason.

The Ravens, who do not have a receiver older than 25, are clearly in need of a veteran wideout, and Mason is one of several big names expected to come available.

Mason caught 96 passes and seven touchdowns in 2004 for the Titans, who went 5-11. The 31-year-old’s production has improved in each of the last five seasons; Mason has averaged 81 receptions and nearly seven touchdowns per year over that span.

Elsewhere, the Steelers chose not to franchise Plaxico Burress, meaning the physical receiver will become available if the two sides do not agree on a deal by March 2.

The Ravens have first-hand experience of Burress’ potential. Burress caught six passes for 116 yards against the Ravens in the 2003 season opener, and had three for 97 and a touchdown late in the 2004 campaign.

The best season of Burress’ career came back in 2002, when he caught 78 passes for 1,325 yards and seven touchdowns.

The Panthers did not release Pro Bowl wide receiver Mushin Muhammad Tuesday, although that could still happen due to a substantial roster bonus he is scheduled to receive this offseason.

Raiders receiver Jerry Porter will not make it to the open market. Porter reportedly agreed to a long-term contract with the Raiders Tuesday, allowing Oakland to tag cornerback Charles Woodson again.

Finally, the Redskins could seek a trade for Redskins wide receiver Laveranues Coles, or release him outright. Bengals receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh and Patriots wideout David Patten will also become free agents if they are not re-signed by next week.

Johnson, 28, spent just one season with the Ravens. He caught 35 passes for 373 yards and a touchdown in 2004, all below his career averages.

In addition to four aforementioned Ravens, wide receiver Travis Taylor, guard Bennie Anderson, defensive end Marques Douglas, long snapper Joe Maese, kicker Wade Richey, linebacker T.J. Slaughter, quarterback Kordell Stewart and running back Jamel White will become free agents next Wednesday.

NOTE

The vast majority of the Ravens’ personnel department flew to Indianapolis Tuesday for the Scouting Combine, which begins Wednesday.

Sure-Oz
02-22-2005, 05:07 PM
When can you sign fa's anyway?

BigChiefFan
02-22-2005, 05:08 PM
March 2nd

Spicy McHaggis
02-22-2005, 05:09 PM
"The vast majority of the Ravens’ personnel department flew to Indianapolis Tuesday for the Scouting Combine, which begins Wednesday."

Does anyone have the NFL Network that could give periodic updates on the Combine?

booger
02-22-2005, 05:09 PM
March 2nd.

Excluding cut players who are fair game as of the moment they were cut.

booger
02-22-2005, 05:11 PM
"The vast majority of the Ravens’ personnel department flew to Indianapolis Tuesday for the Scouting Combine, which begins Wednesday."

Hopefully CP and co got the memo and altered vacation plans.

Sure-Oz
02-22-2005, 05:20 PM
thanks for the info on signing period.

booger
02-22-2005, 05:20 PM
thanks for the info on signing period.
:thumb:

booger
02-22-2005, 05:21 PM
March 2nd

oops. BC beat me.

Hammock Parties
02-22-2005, 05:22 PM
Vermeil wanted to trade for Kevin Johnson 2-3 years ago.

Wonder if they will pursue him?

booger
02-22-2005, 05:24 PM
Isn't there more to the Johnson deal?

I recall something to it about DV thinking KJ wouldn't be that good or something.

Just don't remember the story.

Deberg_1990
02-22-2005, 05:30 PM
Vermeil wanted to trade for Kevin Johnson 2-3 years ago.

Wonder if they will pursue him?

Kevin Johnson is a poor mans Johnny Morton. If that tells you anything??

Hammock Parties
02-22-2005, 05:32 PM
Kevin Johnson is a poor mans Johnny Morton. If that tells you anything??

I would completely disagree with that statement. He's younger, faster and quicker than Morton. I bet he'd be cheap too, he hasn't done much the last few years.

shaneo69
02-22-2005, 05:34 PM
Isn't there more to the Johnson deal?

I recall something to it about DV thinking KJ wouldn't be that good or something.

Just don't remember the story.

Yeah, DV publicly dissed him (and killed the trade) by saying that KJ wasn't worth a 3rd rounder.

Deberg_1990
02-22-2005, 05:34 PM
I would completely disagree with that statement. He's younger, faster and quicker than Morton. I bet he'd be cheap too, he hasn't done much the last few years.

Id rather go with Sammie Parker or draft another young kid.

Kris Kringle
02-22-2005, 05:35 PM
Even though we need defense, it would be a shame if the Chiefs didn't pick up a WR in free agency.

booger
Yeah, DV publicly dissed him (and killed the trade) by saying that KJ wasn't worth a 3rd rounder.

that's it.
thanks

Hammock Parties
Id rather go with Sammie Parker or draft another young kid.

I'd rather not put my eggs all in one basket with Samie Parker...I want competition at the WR spot that Morton will be vacating here shortly.

Deberg_1990
02-22-2005, 05:37 PM
I'd rather not put my eggs all in one basket with Samie Parker...I want competition at the WR spot that Morton will be vacating here shortly.

Parker, Horn, Bo and Mike Williams can all compete for it.

booger
02-22-2005, 05:39 PM
They'd shift Williams to TE in this offense.

Not the Type of WR we like.

Hammock Parties
02-22-2005, 05:39 PM
Parker, Horn, Bo and Mike Williams can all compete for it.

I don't think Horn is anything more than a backup and Boerigter has issues with his knee.

Mike Williams, however... :)

Deberg_1990
02-22-2005, 05:42 PM
They'd shift Williams to TE in this offense.

Not the Type of WR we like.

Oh yea, I hate WR's with size and hands and deceptive speed. No team could ever use a guy like that.

booger
02-22-2005, 05:45 PM
not my opinion.

Thats how they like em.

Hammock Parties
02-22-2005, 05:46 PM
not my opinion.

Thats how they like em.

Williams is faster than Morton I bet.

Heh. Just barely. 4.59 vs 4.56.

booger
02-22-2005, 05:49 PM
I don't doubt it.

Just not the quick twitch shifty guy they like.

Hammock Parties
02-22-2005, 05:53 PM
Mike Williams WR Jr USC 6’5 228
By: Robert Davis | Updated: 10/21/2004

Mike Williams is a truly unique talent. In just two seasons at USC, he became the school’s all time leader in touchdown catches with 30, and ranks 4th on the all time reception list with 176. There may not be a better physical specimen in the entire draft.

Williams decided to declare for the draft after the Maurice Clarett situation, and it ended up costing him football this season. He was not allowed to enter the draft and was not allowed back in by the NCAA. Williams did hold a workout for NFL scouts last year, and by most accounts, it was very impressive. Williams checked in at 6’4 5/8” and 228 pounds, while also posting a 4.56 40 time and a 37” vertical jump.

On the football field, very few play as hard and physical as Williams. He is unique because his biggest asset as a football player is his physical nature and strength, which is not what you typically see in a wide receiver. He is not afraid to go over the middle, and will make the difficult grab look routine. There is not a corner in football that can stop Williams in a one on one situation. With his combination of size, jumping ability, and strength, Williams will win out 9 times out of 10 against even the most physical of corners in the league. Williams gets off the line easy, as he has excellent use of his hands, and the strength allows him to toss aside the corner before he can be neutralized. If there is a receiver with better hands than Williams, I haven’t seen him play yet. Mike is going to be a major force in the red zone from his first snap in an NFL game. Mike also happens to be a very good blocker in the run game, and runs very precise routes. He works very hard on every aspect of the game, and it shows on the football field.

The only knock I can see with Williams is his lack of pure deep speed. He does not possess great speed, but it is not something that will hold him back in the NFL. With his size and jumping ability, he can be a downfield threat. USC utilized him a lot on wide receiver screens, and on routes underneath that allowed him to rack up yards after the catch. He’ll never be considered a blazer, but he is not slow by any means. Some people believe the layoff will hurt Williams, but I do not believe it will. He’s a hard worker, and will be working on every facet of his game for NFL teams. He takes a very mature approach to football, and he will be ready come training camp.

I see Williams as a bigger, more athletic version of Cris Carter. All he does is catch touchdowns, and at 6’5 230, he’s going to catch a lot of them. As long as Williams duplicates the numbers he posted in workouts last year, he will be the first wide receiver off the board in this draft.

--------------------

The part in bold makes me think he's plenty quick enough....

craneref
02-22-2005, 05:54 PM
I would like to see us sign Hartwell to anchor the middle for us, I like Baxter, but would prefer Samari Rolle. Troy Brown would be interesting to bring in at WR as would David Patton. I would be talking to Gunther on what he thinks about Rolle, would be nice to have him in CHIEFS uniform next year.

Chief Roundup
02-22-2005, 07:11 PM
I am not sure about Baxter or Hartwell. I do think that they would be better than what we have though.

htismaqe
02-22-2005, 08:50 PM
Neither Baxter nor Hartwell are free agents YET.

The Ravens are reportedly close to inking a deal with Baxter.