PDA

View Full Version : Teicher: Cap Control - Chiefs believe they can make moves in free agency...

DaWolf
02-23-2005, 02:14 AM
CAP CONTROL

Chiefs believe they will be able to sign defensive help after making a few moves

By ADAM TEICHER The Kansas City Star

link (http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/football/nfl/kansas_city_chiefs/10965735.htm)

The Chiefs want defensive help from this year's free-agent market, and their salary figures show they should be in a position to achieve that.

The Chiefs should be about $4.5 million under the NFL's mandated salary limit, which they expect to be about $85.5 million, when free-agency begins March 2. Currently, the Chiefs have a salary cap of about $92.9 million, research by The Kansas City Star found.

Paring that total by about $12 million will be relatively easy for the Chiefs. Their salary cap is bloated by a $5.125 million roster bonus due to defensive end Vonnie Holliday, who lost his starting job last season to rookie Jared Allen.

Between the roster bonus, his scheduled 2005 salary of $2.2 million and money the Chiefs gave to Holliday upon signing him two years ago, he counts a team-high $8.025 million against the salary cap.

If Holliday doesn't agree to a contract at a greatly reduced rate, he will be released, saving the Chiefs about $6.2 million in salary-cap costs.

The Chiefs also are expecting to receive a salary-cap credit from the NFL of up to $4 million. Several players, including halfback Priest Holmes, had performance bonuses in last year's contract that were never achieved. In Holmes' case, he missed half of the season because of a knee injury.

Since the incentives were never reached, the Chiefs never paid the money, entitling them to the credit.

Those factors, along with some minor contract renegotiations, should give the Chiefs enough cap space to sign some defensive free agents, if not highly priced superstars.

“We're hoping to get a couple of defensive players who can come in and make an impact,” president/general manager Carl Peterson said. “If we can get three, that would be great. If we get two, I'll be happy with that.”

This year's free-agent class might look a lot like that of two years ago for the Chiefs. They signed Holliday, linebacker Shawn Barber and cornerback Dexter McCleon, and all were starters for a 13-3 team in 2003.

But Holliday and McCleon were benched last season, and Barber missed the last half of the year because of a knee injury.

The Chiefs were about $8.5 million under the salary cap at this time last year, but circumstances then were entirely different. They used $6 million to place the transition tag on offensive lineman John Tait, and the rest went to re-sign defensive end Eric Hicks and safety Jerome Woods.

The Chiefs will not designate a franchise or transition player this year. Their only unrestricted free agents — halfback Derrick Blaylock, linebackers Monty Beisel, Quinton Caver and Fred Jones and long snapper Kendall Gammon — are either backups or special-teams players.

If the Chiefs re-sign any of those players, it probably would happen in the spring.

The Chiefs have four restricted free agents, but only linebacker Scott Fujita is a starter. Safety Shaunard Harts is a backup, wide receiver Marc Boerigter missed all of last season because of a knee injury, and running back Omar Easy is mainly a special-teams player.

After Holliday, the Chiefs chewing up the most salary-cap space are current or former Pro Bowlers in quarterback Trent Green, guard Will Shields, Holmes, tight end Tony Gonzalez and tackle Willie Roaf.

Next is Eric Warfield, their top cornerback. He is followed by Johnnie Morton, who may also have to accept a contract reduction if he is to play with the Chiefs next season.

Morton is scheduled to make a salary of $3 million. He will be 34 in October but last year had his best among three seasons with the Chiefs, catching 55 passes.

“We plan to talk with Johnnie the same as we'll talk with Vonnie,” Peterson said.

Holliday was injured for part of last season. Except for his first game in Kansas City — he sacked San Diego quarterback Drew Brees three times — Holliday wasn't the player the Chiefs hoped when they signed him

“It depends on what they offer us,” said Holliday's agent, Brian Levy. “That's why we had this bonus built into the contract. It makes both sides decide what they want to do.

“I don't know that he'd get a huge contract as a free agent, but I don't know that he wouldn't. I've seen crazier things happen. Last year, (Warren) Sapp had one team that wanted him, and all of a sudden, Oakland comes along and throws crazy money at him.”

Uncle_Ted
02-23-2005, 03:22 AM
“We plan to talk with Johnnie the same as we'll talk with Vonnie,” Peterson said.

Well now, I wonder what that means? :hmmm:

buh-bye! :clap:

Manila-Chief
02-23-2005, 03:30 AM
CAP CONTROL

“We're hoping to get a couple of defensive players who can come in and make an impact,” president/general manager Carl Peterson said. “If we can get three, that would be great. If we get two, I'll be happy with that.” ”

First, Holiday is gone. What's the story with Morton? I hope he gets cut as well. We can pick up another WR or allow one of the younger guys to step in. I think they will do as well, for a cheaprer price.

Now, it is delightful to read the above that Kingless really said the word "impact" ... I hope he is not just trying to appease the fan base with the statement but in the back of his mind he is just thinking about picking some D guys ... like the 3 he picked up 2 years ago. They certainly were not "impact."

Hope he puts his money where his mouth is!!!

alanm
02-23-2005, 04:13 AM
I get the impression that Teicher either wrote this story yesterday morning before Holiday was cut. Or reporting on the Chiefs is a secondary hobby for him. The Star desperately needs a better beat writer than this guy. I miss the other guy who left for the East Coast. I can't recall his name at the moment though. :hmmm:

DaWolf
02-23-2005, 05:28 AM
I get the impression that Teicher either wrote this story yesterday morning before Holiday was cut. Or reporting on the Chiefs is a secondary hobby for him. The Star desperately needs a better beat writer than this guy. I miss the other guy who left for the East Coast. I can't recall his name at the moment though. :hmmm:
Ivan Carter?

Yeah I had to laugh at the part where they said that they did research and found out that the Chiefs were $4.5 mil under the cap. Did the research basically consist of reading Carl's letter at kcchiefs.com?

And the fact that they didn't even report Holiday's cut is hilarious. I had to do a double take and make sure the article wasn't written from yesterday. But it is dated today, so someone was asleep at the wheel, and this time around it wasn't Carl...

Wile_E_Coyote
02-23-2005, 06:33 AM
I wonder if there is anyone at the KC Star covering the Chiefs that is competent. Tiecher was on Whitlock's radio show yesterday talking Chiefs. Whenever the name of a player was brought up as a possible pickup, Whitlock would respond "I know nothing about them." "I want a player with a resume, I want Ty Law."

This assclown is having a March for free agent signings at One Arrowhead Dr on March 2 & knows nothing about who is available. What a freaking joke

siberian khatru
02-23-2005, 07:09 AM
We knew by late afternoon Tuesday that Holliday was cut. It is inexcusable that the Star wouldn't publish that today. The only thing I can think of is that this was an early draft story in their system that inadvertantly got put on the Web. Has anyone seen the print edition of this morning's Star to see if an updated story is in there?

tomahawk kid
02-23-2005, 07:30 AM
AT was on Whitlock's show yesterday afternoon.

They were talking about the Chiefs salary cap situation and potential free agents KC would be in.

Neither one of them knew that Holiday had been released.

The Star desperately needs to get a new Chiefs beat writer. Its painfully evident that Teicher no longer gives a rat's ass.

keg in kc
02-23-2005, 07:48 AM
Oh man, Ivan Carter left? I really have been out of the loop.

God, Chiefs coverage is going to be horrible now. He was all there was. kcchiefs.com is more reliable now. Rufus is more poignant than Teicher, as ambivalent as AT seemed the last couple of years. What a shame.

ChiefGator
02-23-2005, 08:02 AM
Oh man, Ivan Carter left? I really have been out of the loop.

God, Chiefs coverage is going to be horrible now. He was all there was. kcchiefs.com is more reliable now. Rufus is more poignant than Teicher, as ambivalent as AT seemed the last couple of years. What a shame.

Yeah, is this true? I didn't realize Carter left. That does suck. He was the best by far.

KCTitus
02-23-2005, 08:04 AM
Yes, Carter moved on last year.

keg in kc
02-23-2005, 08:07 AM
Well, apparently he did leave, but not for the east coast. He's now an african tourguide. And he's white. Must be that michael jackson treatment. http://ivancarter.com/

Actually, I think I heard on the radio a while back he's with the Washington Post to cover Maryland basketball, but I'd forgotten about it. I'm not sure if that's right or not.

teedubya
02-23-2005, 08:18 AM
so last year in 2004, we were 8.5 million UNDER the cap, and we WASTED 6 million by putting the transition tag on Tait? That is 6 million that could have signed a CB from last years crop.

Dammit Carl!!! :cuss: that is pathetic.

Chief Henry
02-23-2005, 08:23 AM
I'll wait to comment on anything defense related
with the Chiefs UNTIL I fricking see it with my own eyes...

Dr. Van Halen
02-23-2005, 08:38 AM
It's not so much that Teicher no longer gives a rat's ass -- it's more that he never gave a rat's ass.

I can remember hearing him on national radio shows during the offseason four or five years ago, having absolutely no idea what was going on with the Chiefs. "Uh, I dunno about that guy. But I do know that I love San Diego baseball! Go Padres!" Crap like that.

Please fire him. Thanks.

dirk digler
02-23-2005, 08:39 AM

No kidding it is pretty sad when the beat writer can't get up to date information. Heck all he had to do was look on kcchiefs.com. Teicher is a joke.

kc rush
02-23-2005, 09:13 AM
Speaking of missing sports talkers, what happened to Maas? Is he on the radio any more?

tomahawk kid
02-23-2005, 09:17 AM
Speaking of missing sports talkers, what happened to Maas? Is he on the radio any more?

No.

According to Greg Hall, Whitlock and Maas can't stand to be in the same room together anymore.

Maas has been MIA since the end of last summer. I'm surprised that they still have his picture on the website.

Basically, he's pulling the same s#it that he did over at 810.

DaWolf
02-23-2005, 09:37 AM
No.

According to Greg Hall, Whitlock and Maas can't stand to be in the same room together anymore.

Maas has been MIA since the end of last summer. I'm surprised that they still have his picture on the website.

Coincidentally Greg Hall has also retired from writing his column. So Ivan has moved on (you heard right Keg, Wahington Post to cover Maryland) and no more Greg...

KCFalcon59
02-23-2005, 09:39 AM
No.

More like they can't fit in the same room together.

BigChiefFan
02-23-2005, 09:39 AM
There are way too many good FAs not to make some moves and improve the team. Carl, I'm not happy with just TWO FAs!!!

whoman69
02-23-2005, 11:32 AM
This team needs to be done with Johnnie Morton. He does not have the speed to be a deep receiver or the hands to be a possession receiver. He has difficulty getting open and if there is any contact on a catch, its dropped. If we don't have better than him, its pathetic.

Calcountry
02-23-2005, 12:03 PM
Well now, I wonder what that means? :hmmm:

buh-bye! :clap:IT means Samie Parker looked good last year. See ya bitch.

Spicy McHaggis
02-23-2005, 01:22 PM
"Morton is scheduled to make a salary of $3 million. He will be 34 in October but last year had his best among three seasons with the Chiefs, catching 55 passes."

Wow 55 catches! And that's the best of his three seasons. Great job there. Don't let the door hit you on the ass on your way out.