PDA

View Full Version : Redskins MLB Antonio Pierce...

Coogs
02-23-2005, 03:16 PM
...Is he any good? I didn't see the Redskins much this last year, but their defense was one of the tops in the NFL.

(2/23/05) MLB Antonio Pierce is now expected to head to free agency on March 2nd as an unrestricted free agent. Pierce started last season at MLB after Mike Barrow was unable to perform due to knee tendonitis. Pierce led the Redskins with 112 tackles and 1 sack, putting together a pro bowl type season. Pierce and the Redskins were expected to reach a long term extension before the March 2nd deadline, but that doe snot appear to be a reality any longer.

MGRS13
02-23-2005, 03:36 PM
Would love to see this guy in a chiefs uni next year!

DaKCMan AP
02-23-2005, 03:37 PM
Washington had the #2 ranked Run D

htismaqe
02-23-2005, 04:26 PM
If this is the case, I don't think there's a chance in hell that we can sign Pierce.

Pierce was their #1 offseason priority. If they haven't done a deal yet, it means he wants OUTRAGEOUS money.

BigChiefFan
02-23-2005, 04:41 PM
He's a great player. I'd have no problem if we landed him.

htismaqe
02-23-2005, 04:44 PM
He's a great player. I'd have no problem if we landed him.

I'd love to have him.

But if Daniel Snyder isn't able to get a deal with him, there's no way King Carl could.

BigChiefFan
02-23-2005, 04:51 PM
I'd love to have him.

But if Daniel Snyder isn't able to get a deal with him, there's no way King Carl could.It could easily be attainable. Carl, just needs to know it's probably going to be at least a 5 year 18 million dollar deal, with at least $5 million in UPFRONT money. The Chiefs need to start using SIGNING BONUS money to their advantage. I honestly believe most players would take less overall money for more upfront money, but the FO needs to get with the times. If small market teams like the Colts can do it, we can to.

Also, another alternative might be MLBer Davis from the Browns depending on his tender. And as you well know, Hartwell and Bell. There's alternatives out there. I'm not taking no for an answer this offseason.

htismaqe
02-23-2005, 04:57 PM
It could easily be attainable. Carl, just needs to know it's probably going to be at least a 5 year 18 million dollar deal, with at least $5 million in UPFRONT money. The Chiefs need to start using SIGNING BONUS money to their advantage. I honestly believe most players would take less overall money for more upfront money, but the FO needs to get with the times. If small market teams like the Colts can do it, we can to.

Also, another alternative might be MLBer Davis from the Browns depending on his tender. And as you well know, Hartwell and Bell. There's alternatives out there. I'm not taking no for an answer this offseason.

Do you really understand what you're saying? Up-front money (bonuses) comes out of the team's pocket immediately. Daniel Snyder does it by using luxury box revenue.

Irsay did it in Indy by BORROWING MONEY AGAINST NON-FOOTBALL ASSETS. If you really think Lamar Hunt is going to do that, you need to get some medication. You're delusional.

BigChiefFan
02-23-2005, 05:16 PM
Do you really understand what you're saying? Up-front money (bonuses) comes out of the team's pocket immediately. Daniel Snyder does it by using luxury box revenue.

Irsay did it in Indy by BORROWING MONEY AGAINST NON-FOOTBALL ASSETS. If you really think Lamar Hunt is going to do that, you need to get some medication. You're delusional.
No, I think he NEEDS to do it. The Raiders went to a Super Bowl then went into cap hell. Now look. Same with the Cowboys, they made the playoffs recently. Steelers, and so on and so on.

I'm not delusional. I'm rational. I'm in touch with the way football works in today's day and age and I KNOW that other teams, small market teams included, make MOVES, that include landing quality players. I KNOW the Chiefs is the only organization that goes to great lengths to tell us why we can't or shouldn't do things. They are real quick to point out the negatives of FA, ect...

Frankly, I think it takes money to make money. I know Lamar spends money, but I'm not arguing that point, I'm arguing the amount of money our team spends compared to other teams. Even without Lamar's preferred skyboxes he still POCKETED, over $30 million last year. There's plenty of money, it's just a matter of willingness to make that investment into the future of his team with young, quality players in FA right now.

The players are out there, he has that profitted money that he could spend as an INVESTMENT into his own team, but we will see if the committment is there or not. I'm willing to give it SOME time, but I believe in action speaking louder than words.

jspchief
02-23-2005, 05:55 PM
What exactly has Pierce done?

He's had one good year on a team where he was surrounded by loads of talent. I don't see any reason to believe he's worthy of big money.

DaKCMan AP
02-23-2005, 07:24 PM

He's had one good year on a team where he was surrounded by loads of talent. I don't see any reason to believe he's worthy of big money.
Better than anything we have. That is unless he's often lost and out of position (Mitchell) or misses tackles (the whole D).

Also, remember Arrington only played in 4 games last year yet they still were #2 against the run.

shaneo69
02-23-2005, 07:37 PM

I'd take Pierce over Hartwell. He played in a 4-3 defense last year and didn't have Ray Lewis helping him out. I don't think Pierce will command as much as Hartwell.

The reason Snyder can't get Pierce or Smoot signed is because they're over the cap right now. Gibbs has said that he's frustrated because their free agents don't want to sign before testing free agency, and the guys that need to be restructured like Samuels aren't helping them out.

jspchief
02-23-2005, 07:50 PM
I agree he's likely better than what we have. My point is simply that so far he's a one year wonder on a team that has enough talent to hide some of his weakness.

If the reason the deal hasn't been done is because he has a high price tag, I have no interest in him.

htismaqe
02-23-2005, 08:44 PM
No, I think he NEEDS to do it. The Raiders went to a Super Bowl then went into cap hell. Now look. Same with the Cowboys, they made the playoffs recently. Steelers, and so on and so on.

I'm not delusional. I'm rational. I'm in touch with the way football works in today's day and age and I KNOW that other teams, small market teams included, make MOVES, that include landing quality players. I KNOW the Chiefs is the only organization that goes to great lengths to tell us why we can't or shouldn't do things. They are real quick to point out the negatives of FA, ect...

Frankly, I think it takes money to make money. I know Lamar spends money, but I'm not arguing that point, I'm arguing the amount of money our team spends compared to other teams. Even without Lamar's preferred skyboxes he still POCKETED, over $30 million last year. There's plenty of money, it's just a matter of willingness to make that investment into the future of his team with young, quality players in FA right now.

The players are out there, he has that profitted money that he could spend as an INVESTMENT into his own team, but we will see if the committment is there or not. I'm willing to give it SOME time, but I believe in action speaking louder than words.

You COMPLETELY missed the point.

I'm not saying the Chiefs CANNOT spend money. I'm saying the Chiefs WILL NOT spend money.

I agree with you - they need to do it. But if you think they WILL, you are indeed delusional.

ragedogg69
02-23-2005, 11:27 PM
I watched Pierce all thru college. He just eats people up and would be the sure tackle guy the chiefs desperately need. His pass coverage could use a bit of work. But he as potential to be a great LB.

Manila-Chief
02-23-2005, 11:42 PM
You COMPLETELY missed the point.

I'm not saying the Chiefs CANNOT spend money. I'm saying the Chiefs WILL NOT spend money.

I agree with you - they need to do it. But if you think they WILL, you are indeed delusional.

Now I agree with your delusional remark. As BigChief said ... they made $30 mil profit last year. Back when we won our only S.B. Lamar made a commentment to spend what ever it took to win a championship and he did it. You could name all of our great players we had back then ... Lamar wrote the checks and Hank got the players it took to win.

Now is the time for the owner to make the big step once again. And, as said above ... he will not have to pay out of his pocket like he did in the early 60's ... just not put the profits into his own account.

But, I'm afraid we will not win again until the owner wants it as bad as the fans. Your comment is justified coz he only seems to be interested in the bottom line... and it's sad to see this happening to a once proud owner....

Spicy McHaggis
02-23-2005, 11:53 PM
I'd take Pierce over Hartwell. He played in a 4-3 defense last year and didn't have Ray Lewis helping him out. I don't think Pierce will command as much as Hartwell.

Hartwell did fine in 2002 when Lewis played 5 games total.

teedubya
02-24-2005, 12:33 AM
can we go back to 2001 offseason and just sign Donnie Edwards?

milkman
02-24-2005, 12:35 AM
can we go back to 2001 offseason and just sign Donnie Edwards?

Not only no, but HELL NO!

jspchief
02-24-2005, 12:52 AM
Not only no, but HELL NO!

You're insane to not want Edwards back. He's an excellent LB. He makes more plays than our entire D combined. I'd kill to have one guy that had half the nose for the ball that he does.

milkman
02-24-2005, 12:57 AM
You're insane to not want Edwards back. He's an excellent LB. He makes more plays than our entire D combined. I'd kill to have one guy that had half the nose for the ball that he does.

I want people that can tackle, not guys that saddle up and ride 'em.

Donnie gets to the ball carrier, but he can't tackle, so he just rides 'em til help gets there.

**** that.

beer bacon
02-24-2005, 01:46 AM
I want people that can tackle, not guys that saddle up and ride 'em.

Donnie gets to the ball carrier, but he can't tackle, so he just rides 'em til help gets there.

**** that.

:rolleyes: At least he actually gravitates to the ball. That is an improvement.

milkman
02-24-2005, 06:54 AM
:rolleyes: At least he actually gravitates to the ball. That is an improvement.

I won't argue that.

But I'd rather take the improvement one step further.
Let's sign a MLB and draft an OLB that gravitate to the ball, then actually tackle the ballcarrier.

That sound alright to you.

Coogs
02-24-2005, 10:49 AM
I watched Pierce all thru college. He just eats people up and would be the sure tackle guy the chiefs desperately need.

:clap:

I'm on the Pierce bandwagon then.

shaneo69
02-24-2005, 11:01 AM
I think we're all going to be sadly disappointed in this area anyway. I get the feeling that they're going to stick with Mitchell in the middle and look for help on the outside (Barber's spot). Since DV mentioned yesterday that they're going to sign a starting CB in free agency, I think they'll take an OLB in the 1st round (DJ, Merriman?) and another CB in the 2nd. And Mitchell will be expected to improve.

I just haven't heard anything from them that makes me think they're going after a FA MLB. But who knows? We'll probably end up with Rob Morris. :banghead:

Brock
02-24-2005, 11:02 AM

I certainly derided Edwards when he left, but gaddamn he's a playmaker.

milkman
02-24-2005, 11:05 AM
I think we're all going to be sadly disappointed in this area anyway. I get the feeling that they're going to stick with Mitchell in the middle and look for help on the outside (Barber's spot). Since DV mentioned yesterday that they're going to sign a starting CB in free agency, I think they'll take an OLB in the 1st round and another CB in the 2nd. And Mitchell will be expected to improve.

I just haven't heard anything from them that makes me think they're going after a FA MLB. But who knows? We'll probably end up with Rob Morris. :banghead:

I don't know.
I think most of us are just talking about how we'd improve the D, but also realize that some changes are not in the works, i.e. MLB.

I'm stubbornly opposed to using a draft pick on a corner, but fully expect the Chiefs to take one in the 1st round, rather than the 2nd.

shaneo69
02-24-2005, 11:06 AM

That's the thing. I don't remember him making big plays for us. I think he returned a fumble for a TD against the Bears in Gunther's first game as HC, but we lost that game. I don't remember any other ones.

milkman
02-24-2005, 11:08 AM

I watched a lot of Charger games this past season, and the season before, and I didn't see him making many plays.

He has speed, and he gets to the ballcarrier, only to play piggyback.

Frankie
02-24-2005, 11:49 AM
I like Pierce as our MLB. We didn't do too badly the last time we signed a MLB from the Skins. However, I (unlike most of you) still like Kawika Mitchel and was encouraged by his improvement. It was slow of course, but he was FAPP a rookie. Now if we get Pierce would we move Mitch outside? Anybody remember his natural position in college?

htismaqe
02-24-2005, 12:15 PM
Anybody remember his natural position in college?

MLB

go bo
02-24-2005, 12:23 PM
I like Pierce as our MLB. We didn't do too badly the last time we signed a MLB from the Skins. However, I (unlike most of you) still like Kawika Mitchel and was encouraged by his improvement. It was slow of course, but he was FAPP a rookie. Now if we get Pierce would we move Mitch outside? Anybody remember his natural position in college?mlb, if i'm not mistaken...

i googled some of his predraft reports, and he is always listed as a mlb...