PDA

View Full Version : I'll Kick Carl's ass!!!

BigChiefFan
02-24-2005, 05:37 PM
ROFL Just wanted to throw my two cents into the ring and see how I do compared to King Carl. Here's how I would approach improving the team this offseason...I think I'll Kick Carl's ass. :p

FA CB-Samai Rolle or Gary Baxter or Smoot; Runners-up Lucas or Surtain
MLBer-Hartwell or Pierce or Bell

Draft

1st Round-DE David Pollack-Stellar pass-rusher, who is stout against the run. An every-down player. Could easily replace Hicks.

2nd Round Trade Up-OLBer Daryl Blackstock- Instant starter, who can bring the wood. Also great pass-rusher.

3rd Round (Hopeful of Tait compensatory pick) CB Antonio Perkins-Lightning fast, athletic corner. Fits Gunther's bigger corner mold.

4th round-WR Courtney Roby- Deep Threat WR. Has speed and good hands. Can stretch a defense.

5th Round-CB Dustin Fox- Better in run support, but hard-hitter.

6th round-FS Sean Concidine Athletic playmaker, who excelled on special teams.

7th round-QB Timmy Chang, played in pass-happy offense. Worth taking a chance on in the 7th round.

I left out some of the multiple round picks to make up for the trade-up for Blackstock.

Thoughts?

Logical
02-24-2005, 05:42 PM
I would just be happy to see you kick Carl's ass. :D

Probably not how I would handle the draft but not bad.

Deberg_1990
02-24-2005, 05:43 PM
What alot of you guys fail to remember is that all these Free Agents have to actually want to come to our team. Carl can try and woo them all he wants but that doesnt mean they want to come to KC. Do they like the city? Do they like the head coach? Do they like the Management situation? Do they like the system the coaches run? on offense or defense? Do their families want to move to the Midwest?? There are alot more factors involved than just wanting Carl to obtain a certain guy.

beer bacon
02-24-2005, 05:44 PM
What alot of you guys fail to remember is that all these Free Agents have to actually want to come to our team. Carl can try and woo them all he wants but that doesnt mean they want to come to KC. Do they like the city? Do they like the head coach? Do they like the Management situation? Do they like the ssytem the coaches run? on offense or defense? Do their families want to move to the Midwest?? There are alot more factors involved than just wanting Carl to obtain a certain guy.

You forgot the most important one. Is there another team willing to give them a 15 million dollar signing bonus?

Chiefs Pantalones
02-24-2005, 05:46 PM
If we get Timmy Chang we will be in the Super Bowl this year, count on it.

Deberg_1990
02-24-2005, 05:46 PM
You forgot the most important one. Is there another team willing to give them a 15 million dollar signing bonus?

Yea, that one too.

BigChiefFan
02-24-2005, 05:47 PM
What alot of you guys fail to remember is that all these Free Agents have to actually want to come to our team. Carl can try and woo them all he wants but that doesnt mean they want to come to KC. Do they like the city? Do they like the head coach? Do they like the Management situation? Do they like the system the coaches run? on offense or defense? Do their families want to move to the Midwest?? There are alot more factors involved than just wanting Carl to obtain a certain guy.That's why I listed OPTIONS in FA. Also don't forget, money talks.

Spicy McHaggis
02-24-2005, 06:00 PM
How much would it cost for us to move up in the 2nd? I got to find that pick value chart again.

DTLB58
02-24-2005, 06:19 PM
1st Round-DE David Pollack-Stellar pass-rusher, who is stout against the run. An every-down player. Could easily replace Hicks.

I'm all for that! :) And Pollack is on my wish list for 1st rounders.

Mr. Laz
02-24-2005, 06:44 PM
What alot of you guys fail to remember is that all these Free Agents have to actually want to come to our team. Carl can try and woo them all he wants but that doesnt mean they want to come to KC. Do they like the city? Do they like the head coach? Do they like the Management situation? Do they like the system the coaches run? on offense or defense? Do their families want to move to the Midwest?? There are alot more factors involved than just wanting Carl to obtain a certain guy.
yea.. that's it, blame the city

must admit, that's a new excuse

Mr. Laz
02-24-2005, 06:53 PM
How much would it cost for us to move up in the 2nd? I got to find that pick value chart again.

Wallcrawler
02-24-2005, 08:04 PM

I'm all for that! :) And Pollack is on my wish list for 1st rounders.

Keep dreaming on that one. The organization is fully behind Eric Hicks. There will be no drafting of a DE in the first round, not with the intent to replace Eric Hicks.

Apparently they think that Eric Hicks can somehow get back to that 14 sacks in 13 games level of play that he hasnt shown since it happened ages ago.

Eric Hicks. Fine football player. Loves Carol Vermiel's cooking, and is one of Dick's boys.

We're stuck with his ass starting at DE for at least another season, until Carl and Dick hit the bricks.

Deberg_1990
02-24-2005, 09:15 PM
yea.. that's it, blame the city

must admit, that's a new excuse

I didnt mean it in a bad way. I guess i just meant that a guy may be from the east or west coast originally and may want to move back closer to where he grew up or near his family. Sure, its usually about the money 95% of the time, but on occassion there are other factors involved in a free agents decision.

digi2fish
02-24-2005, 09:17 PM
we have a line here, friend.
ROFL

BigChiefFan
02-25-2005, 11:01 AM
Keep dreaming on that one. The organization is fully behind Eric Hicks. There will be no drafting of a DE in the first round, not with the intent to replace Eric Hicks.

Apparently they think that Eric Hicks can somehow get back to that 14 sacks in 13 games level of play that he hasnt shown since it happened ages ago.

Eric Hicks. Fine football player. Loves Carol Vermiel's cooking, and is one of Dick's boys.

We're stuck with his ass starting at DE for at least another season, until Carl and Dick hit the bricks.
Hicks is already 29 years old. He's a player that came into the league undrafted. Clearly, he has been an overachiever and has peaked. He is now on the decline. Wilkerson hasn't shown that he can handle the duty, so I see a need there, I think most of us do. If we can see it, surely Gunther can, too.

Regardless of how much they LOVE Hicks, they need to look to the future and try and find his eventual replacement. Going for a first rounder, in Pollack, gives us a good shot of improving the position, so I can't see why we would ignore it just because some think Hicks gives his all. His all isn't good enough. If we are truly looking to improve the team, nobody's job on defense should be secure. Hicks included. They started placing some blame at Woods feet, so I hold out some hope, they actually know what they are doing.

brent102fire
02-25-2005, 11:34 AM
CP was on AM 1090 this morning here in So. Cal and said the Chiefs will not be drafting or signing any new players this year. He and DV do not want to take a chance on a player being a bust. They also agreed that the team chemistry is high right now and they do not want to break it up. :p

nmt1
02-25-2005, 11:44 AM
I've seen Pollack play in a few games and he looks a bit too small for my liking. He does give tremendous effort and never quits on a play. He would probably be a good pick though I'd hate to end up with the next Mike Mamula.
Blackstock was nothing but a pass rusher at UVA. I watched him play in just about every game this year and most last year. He's a great pass rusher but he's one dimensional. Not to say he couldn't improve in the other areas though it will most likely take a couple of years.
Don't know anything about the other guys.

BigChiefFan
02-25-2005, 12:55 PM
I've seen Pollack play in a few games and he looks a bit too small for my liking. He does give tremendous effort and never quits on a play. He would probably be a good pick though I'd hate to end up with the next Mike Mamula.
Blackstock was nothing but a pass rusher at UVA. I watched him play in just about every game this year and most last year. He's a great pass rusher but he's one dimensional. Not to say he couldn't improve in the other areas though it will most likely take a couple of years.
Don't know anything about the other guys.
Pollack isn't that small, I've heard some mention his heigth as a slight concern, but most look way past that, myself included. Here's a tidbit on him...

Pollack Goes out in Style
By Josh Kendall Dawgpost.com
Date: Jan 1, 2005

TAMPA, Fla. - When David Pollack was conscious Saturday in Georgia's 24-21 Outback Bowl win, he had a whale of a game.

David Pollack lay motionless on the Raymond James Stadium turf for a split second in the final minute of the first quarter. It happened after he and several other Bulldogs sacked Wisconsin quarterback John Stocco.

"Big G (Kedrick Golston) knocked me out," Pollack said. "That's what happened."

Later in the game, the senior defensive end suffered a slightly twisted knee. Despite all that, he had one of the best games of his season, recording four tackles, including three sacks.

He was named the game's MVP.

"David Pollack was, as usual, fantastic," Coach Mark Richt said.

Pollack increased his school sack record to 36 for his career. He finishes his collegiate career in fourth place all-time in the SEC, one sack behind former Ole Miss defender Ben Williams.

"I wanted to go out and play hard," Pollack said.

Safety Thomas Davis and linebacker Odell Thurman, who also had stellar games, credited Pollack with making their jobs easier.

"Today there were a lot of times I got free because they were on him," Thurman said.

Pollack made the biggest defensive play of the game when he sacked Stocco in the fourth quarter and stripped him of the ball to stop a Wisconsin drive inside Georgia's 20-yard line. Badgers coach Barry Alvarez described Pollack's day as "solid" and was upset because Pollack's big play came on a missed assignment.

"He's a guy that you want to know where he is," Alvarez said. "That's what disappointed me. We turned him loose. We flat out turned him loose and that's hard to understand."

It was the second time this season, Pollack has recorded a sack, caused a fumble and recovered a fumble on the same play. The first time came against Arkansas. His three sacks were an Outback Bowl record. He finished the season with 12.5.

Following the game, he seemed more excited about the next step in his career than sad to see this one ending.

"I could cry and be sad about it, but why cry?" he said.

Blackstock is a pretty good run-stopper as well. I've seen him play,too. Make no mistake he's a pass-rusher first and formost, but we need people who can get to the QB and knock them on their ass. That's why I went with Pollack and Blackstock in the two rounds. Anyway, here's that tid-bit on Blackstock and his run-stopping...

* * * WORTH NOTING: Butkus Award and All-America candidate ... worked hard to become a more complete linebacker and his efforts paid off ... known primarily as a pass rusher, he is now an outstanding run stopper ... very fast for a player his size ... his numbers were down last season, but head coach Al Groh indicates he has become a much better player ... offensive linemen have to account for him or it's trouble ... 192 career tackles are second among active Cavaliers behind DE Chris Canty ... nearly 20 percent of his tackles last season (16 of 85) were behind the line of scrimmage ...16 TFLs are sixth in school history and the most since Patrick Kerney's 21 in 1998 ... shares the school record with Wali Rainer for most career sacks by a linebacker (16) ... they are tied for eighth overall ... 30 career tackles for loss are ninth all-time.

patteeu
02-25-2005, 02:38 PM

Or if the signing bonus is about equal, is the other team in a city that is likely to provide endorsement opportunities that KC cannot?

nmt1
02-25-2005, 02:39 PM
Pollack isn't that small, I've heard some mention his heigth as a slight concern, but most look way past that, myself included. Here's a tidbit on him...

I've seen Pollack listed at 6-2, 260. He's definitly not your prototypical DE size wise. That always worries me when it comes to defending the run. I don't think he'd be a bad pick though specifically because of how active he is when he's playing. I really like guys like that.

With regard to Blackstock, don't get me wrong, I think the dude is great. I think he should've stayed in college another year though. Maybe that's because I'm a UVA fan and wanted him to stay in that great linebacking corp. Having him back with Ahmad Brooks and Kai Parham would've been great. I've seen him get eaten up by some of the better left tackles. I won't be upset if the Chiefs snag him though. I'm always happy to see former UVA players on the Chiefs roster.