PDA

View Full Version : What's so great about David Pollack?

RealSNR
02-24-2005, 06:42 PM
I've heard a lot of people pimping him. Why is he so great?

Spott
02-24-2005, 06:43 PM
I heard it takes him and about 20 of his buddies to change a light bulb.

siberian khatru
02-24-2005, 06:44 PM
He's pass-rush Jesus.

Next question.

Saulbadguy
02-24-2005, 06:59 PM
I heard it takes him and about 20 of his buddies to change a light bulb.
ROFL

Damn...I missed it.

Mr. Laz
02-24-2005, 07:00 PM
next coming of Mate nobby-hump titty-fuk is what i hear

ChiefsCountry
02-24-2005, 07:58 PM
He is white. Vermeil has a hard on for white DE's. And Eric Hicks.

Spicy McHaggis
02-24-2005, 08:00 PM

Who you callin' Uncle Tom!?

DTLB58
02-24-2005, 08:25 PM
At 6'3" and 247lbs he is being touted as the BEST all around defender as far as pass rusher and stopping the run! He has a motor that never stops and intensity to match. Tough and Fiesty. Very quick and agile with great playmaking skills. Won't be outworked and great character. Was one of the top 3 defensive players in college each of the last 3 years, not just a one year wonder this guy.

http://georgiadogs.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/pollack_david00.html

Deberg_1990
02-24-2005, 09:30 PM

Sounds like the next Grant Winstrom to me??

suds79
02-24-2005, 09:48 PM
I've heard a lot of people pimping him. Why is he so great?

He's completely a non factor in this draft as far as I'm concerned.

IMO there's about 4-5 guys we should automatically take ahead of him in the 1st and there's no way he slips to the 2nd.

Red Dawg
02-25-2005, 08:07 AM
He hits the QB alot.

whoman69
02-25-2005, 08:14 AM
He's completely a non factor in this draft as far as I'm concerned.

IMO there's about 4-5 guys we should automatically take ahead of him in the 1st and there's no way he slips to the 2nd.
which is exactly why we will take him

BigChiefFan
02-25-2005, 08:52 AM
Non-Factor? I couldn't disagree more. I usely like your takes , but I disagree in this case. Pollack is a stud. The guy has been stellar pass-rusher and very good against the run. He projects to be an everydown DE. The guy excelled against outstanding college competition and has a non-stop motor. He's also very quick. BTW, I have him listed at 6' 3" 280 lbs. Spears and James are the other two top DEs. Spears has a lazy streak and James and bust have been mentioned in the same breath. Pollack is the FOOTBALL PLAYER of the bunch worthy of a first rounder.

siberian khatru
02-25-2005, 09:07 AM
I'm not predicting Pollack is a sure-fire star or anything, but I also don't get hung up on a guy's physical attributes. At least not when you start fretting over one inch or 10 lbs. or whatnot.

A guy with a motor who consistently makes plays is worthy of consideration, and those things can overcome his being 6-3 instead of 6-4 or 260 instead of 270.

DaKCMan AP
02-25-2005, 09:10 AM
I've watched Pollack play the last couple of years in the SEC. He seems like a good character guy. On the field he isn't the biggest or strongest or fastest, but he makes plays and his motor never stops. He outworks everyone else.

That being said, I'd rather have LB Channing Crowder over DE David Pollack :D

siberian khatru
02-25-2005, 09:12 AM
That being said, I'd rather have LB Channing Crowder over DE David Pollack :D

You're lucky I just live in Georgia, and didn't go to school there. :cuss:

ROFL :p

dtrain
02-25-2005, 09:36 AM
[QUOTE=DTLB58]At 6'3" and 247lbs he is being touted as the BEST all around defender as far as pass rusher and stopping the run! He has a motor that never stops and intensity to match. Tough and Fiesty. Very quick and agile with great playmaking skills. Won't be outworked and great character. Was one of the top 3 defensive players in college each of the last 3 years, not just a one year wonder this guy.

Doesn't that sound similar to Jarred Allen? I remember people getting their panties in an uproar when he was drafted and look what he did given the chance to play.

Chiefnj
02-25-2005, 09:53 AM
[QUOTE=DTLB58]At 6'3" and 247lbs he is being touted as the BEST all around defender as far as pass rusher and stopping the run! He has a motor that never stops and intensity to match. Tough and Fiesty. Very quick and agile with great playmaking skills. Won't be outworked and great character. Was one of the top 3 defensive players in college each of the last 3 years, not just a one year wonder this guy.

Doesn't that sound similar to Jarred Allen? I remember people getting their panties in an uproar when he was drafted and look what he did given the chance to play.

I think the "247" is a typo. He should be around 275lbs. We'll know soon from the combine. He's played against much tougher competition than Allen ever had and has come up huge in big national games when he was in the spotlight. He's exactly the type of player the Chiefs need.

htismaqe
02-25-2005, 10:25 AM
Pollack's official height and weight are 6'3" 266.

Erasmus James is 6'4" 266.

Chiefnj
02-25-2005, 10:37 AM
Pollack's official height and weight are 6'3" 266.

Erasmus James is 6'4" 266.

From the combine, or another source?

BigChiefFan
02-25-2005, 10:41 AM
I've posted this before, but I think it's relative to the discussion...

Pros: Great motor, can do it all at DE. Great against the run, great against the pass, has a knack for making big plays. Team captain, quality leader.
Cons: A little undersized when compared to the prototypical DE, could get a little stronger. Neither issue is all that important.
Draft Exchange Analysis:
DAVID M. POLLACK...Born June 19, 1982...

High School: Shiloh...The Atlanta Journal-Constitution Super Southern 100, Top 50 in Georgia, and Class AAAAA First Team All-State as a defensive lineman....GeorgiaSports Writers Association All-State defensive lineman....SUPERPREP All-Dixie Team....named one of the top 25 defensive tackles in the country by Student Sports Magazine....Defensive lineman of the year as a junior and senior in Gwinett County...Atlanta Touchdown Club Defensive Player of the Week October 28, 2000 and Defensive Lineman of the Year as a senior... also played on offense as a fullback ....recorded 86 tackles, 30 assists, two sacks, 23 tackles-for-loss, and three forced fumbles as a senior...tied school record for most tackles in a game with 14...Helped his team reach the state quarterfinals with an 8-5 record his senior season...also lettered in basketball and wrestling.....invited to play in the 2001 Georgia-Florida all-star game....High School Coach: Bob Krieger.

College: 2001 -- played in 10 games, getting the starting nod four times...made three total tackles in each of his first four games played before recording nine tackles (5 solo, 4 asst.) against Kentucky...six tackles against Auburn included two sacks...caused a fumble vs. Auburn...sixth on team with nine quarterback pressures...The Sporting News Freshman All-America fourth team.....All-SEC Freshman Team by SEC Coaches, Knoxville New Sentinel, and The Sporting News....recorded five tackles in 2001 Music City Bowl vs. Boston College....

2002 -- Moved to defensive end prior to spring drills...recorded five tackles and one tackle-for-loss in annual spring G-Day game....recipient of Coffee County Hustle Award which goes to the player demonstrating the most desire and hustle in spring practice....listed as number one at defensive end position at conclusion of spring drills.......recipient of Statesboro Bulldog Club Endowed Football Scholarship....Pollack led the Southeastern Conference and was seventh nationally in quarterback sacks with 14.....is Georgia's most active defensive player and also leading the SEC with 23 tackles-for-loss of 128 yards and 35 quarterback pressures....additionally, he blocked a punt, a field goal and had two interceptions....by recording sack in the Nokia Sugar Bowl victory, he set Georgia single-season record for sacks with 14 breaking old mark of 13 held by Pollack and Mitch Davis (1993).....finished third on the team in tackles with 102 including a career-high 10 solo stops in Georgia's win over Auburn that clinched the SEC Eastern Division crown. .....earned CBS Player of the Game and SEC Defensive Player of the Week honors for his performance in the win over South Carolina (an interception for a touchdown, a fumble recovery at the Georgia 2 yard line and a career-high 14 tackles).....also had 14 tackles vs. Florida.....member of team that won Georgia's first SEC championship in 20 years, defeated FSU for Nokia Sugar Bowl title, set school record for most victories in a season (13), and finished with a final national ranking of No. 3......part of defense that finished first in the SEC and fourth nationally in Scoring Defense (15.1 ppg), first in the SEC in Red Zone Defense (58.8%), second in the SEC and 19th nationally in Rushing Defense (114.0 ypg), fourth in the SEC and 15th nationally in Total Defense (303.5 ypg), and allowed only 30 total second half points in the final seven games of the season.....named one of five finalists for Bronko Nagurski Trophy which goes annually to the nation's outstanding defensive player.... named to the All-America first team by the Football Writers Association of America (FWAA), The Associated Press, and The Sporting News....SEC Player of the Year by the SEC Coaches and SEC Defensive Player of the Year by The Associated Press....recipient of Harry Carson Award presented by the Orangeburg (S.C.) Touchdown Club to the National College Defensive Player of the Year.....All-SEC First Team by SEC Coaches and The Associated Press....member of defensive front which helped Georgia rank No.1 in the SEC in both sacks (45 for 315 yards) and tackles for loss (116 for 509 yards)....

2003 - Pre-season All-America first team and named the country's best defensive end by The Sporting News.....Pre-season All-America first team by Athlon, Lindy's, Street and Smith's and by NationalChamps.Net College Football Preview....named the SEC's Most Valuable Player by The Birmingham News....despite facing double-teams virtually every play the entire season, has remained a disruptive force on the defensive front.....key to the Dogs' defensive stand at Clemson which preserved a shutout and put the game out of reach: blew up an option play which resulted in an 7-yard loss and then intercepted a pass and returned it 24 yards.....had 7 QB pressures against both Alabama and South Carolina.....named SEC Defensive Player of the Week after Tennessee game with 2 sacks for a loss of 14 yards, 2 pass deflections, 2 quarterback hurries, and 8 total tackles vs. the Vols.....recorded 8 tackles vs. Vanderbilt, Tennessee, LSU, and South Carolina.....led Georgia with a season-high 13 tackles vs. Florida.....intercepted a pass tipped by Ken Veal and had one sack for an 8-yard loss at Georgia Tech.....one of four finalists for the Rotary Lombardi Award.....winner of 2003 Ted Hendricks National Defensive End of the Year Award presented annually to the nation's top defensive end.....recipient of UGA Community Service Award for dedication to community service....named All-America first team by the American Football Coaches Association (AFCA)...second team All-America by The Associated Press.....named All-SEC first team by the SEC Coaches, The Associated Press, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, and TheInsiders.com.....currently ranks fifth in Georgia history with 20.5 career sacks.....33 career starts....Part of Georgia team that won 32 games from 2001-03, ranked among the top five teams nationally in winning percentage, and part of a Georgia defense that ranked 2nd nationally in Scoring Defense (14.5 ppg), 4th in Total Defense (276.86 ypg), 6th in Passing Defense (174.50 ypg),14th nationally in Turnover Margin (+.79), and 4th in number of scoreless quarters (25) among the AP's final Top Ten teams.

2004 -- Outstanding spring being named recipient of the Coffee County Hustle Award given to player(s) who demonstrate the most desire and hustle during spring practice....Candidate for Lombardi, Hendricks, Nagurski Awards this fall....could become only Georgia's second three-time All-American (along with Herschel Walker).... Recorded five tackles, sacked the quarterback for a loss of 11 yards and had four quarterback hurries vs. LSU...named SEC Defensive Lineman Player of the Week for that performance vs. the Tigers...made one tackle vs. Marshall...recorded seven tackles, two solo, a sack for a loss of ten yards, four tackles for a loss of 13 yards and five quarterback hurries at South Carolina...made five tackles including four solo stops vs. Georgia Southern...had one tackle for a loss of 8 yards...blocked a punt...logged two quarterback pressures.

Major: History.

jspchief
02-25-2005, 10:50 AM
I'd probably prefer Pollack over James or Spears.

Pollack seemed to show up big in big games, where the other two guys seemed to disappear.

BigChiefFan
02-25-2005, 11:03 AM

Pollack seemed to show up big in big games, where the other two guys seemed to disappear.
Yep. He's a high-intensity team LEADER. He LEADS by example. He also kicks ass. He's a no-brainer, IMO. We need a pass-rusher who is also stout against the run and he fits the bill.

oaklandhater
02-25-2005, 11:05 AM
hes rated 1DE on nflfans.com

BigChiefFan
02-25-2005, 11:06 AM
hes rated 1DE on nflfans.comI've got him rated as the number one DE, too.

oaklandhater
02-25-2005, 11:06 AM
David Pollack
Projected Selection:
Top10

BigChiefFan
02-25-2005, 11:07 AM
David Pollack
Projected Selection:
Top10
KEY WORD:PROJECTED. NOBODY knows.

oaklandhater
02-25-2005, 11:07 AM
I've got him rated as the number one DE, too.
i agree with the way he was rated has well But there is a chance he might not fall to us

BigChiefFan
02-25-2005, 11:11 AM
i agree with the way he was rated has well But there is a chance he might not fall to us
I know, that's why if he does fall to us, we would be fools to pass on him. He's a bonifide ass-kicking DE. I think he goes right around 15, because I think some will shy away because of his heigth and IGNORE his production.

oaklandhater
02-25-2005, 11:18 AM
I know, that's why if he does fall to us, we would be fools to pass on him. He's a bonifide ass-kicking DE. I think he goes right around 15, because I think some will shy away because of his heigth and IGNORE his production.

i hope so we need help on the Dline

Spicy McHaggis
02-25-2005, 11:48 AM

No contest IMO.

Spicy McHaggis
02-25-2005, 11:49 AM

Wilfork was projected top 10 last year and fell to the Pats. It is possible but who knows?

Chiefnj
02-25-2005, 11:50 AM
If you belong to the draft school of thought that how you play in college is the #1 factor in how you project as a pro, then Pollack is worth a top 15 pick. This is the school of thought used by the Pats and guys like Polian.

If you put more stock in numbers and size he might fall. That's been the Chiefs draft school lately.

I'll opt for the former.

siberian khatru
02-25-2005, 11:52 AM
If you belong to the draft school of thought that how you play in college is the #1 factor in how you project as a pro, then Pollack is worth a top 15 pick. This is the school of thought used by the Pats and guys like Polian.

If you put more stock in numbers and size he might fall. That's been the Chiefs draft school lately.

I'll opt for the former.

:clap:

BigChiefFan
02-25-2005, 12:42 PM

I'll opt for the former.
Yep. The combine is a good tool and it does help answer some questions, but give me the FOOTBALL players who dominated against great competition every time. The combine should be secondary in the decision making process, IMO.

That said, Pollack should be there at 15 and we should pull the trigger. If not him, Carlos Rogers, but I prefer a DE.

ChiefsCountry
02-25-2005, 12:50 PM
I think we should go DE in the first round, DE cost way too much on the open market. CB and LB would be better off in FA, and selecting a DE in the first round. I like Spears alittle more than Pollack. The upside is a little greater, but I wouldn't be mad at all if we got Pollack.