PDA

View Full Version : Former closer wants to win his old job back

Eleazar
02-24-2005, 09:04 PM
Former closer wants to win his old job back

SURPRISE, Ariz. -- Royals right-hander Mike MacDougal is throwing so well that he'd like to think he can win his old job back.

"I'm going to try to be the closer," he said. "I got a taste of that and liked it and that's what I'm going after."

Left-hander Jeremy Affeldt is considered to have the role now.

MacDougal was a first-half rookie sensation in 2003 and was selected for the All-Star Game. He had 24 saves at the break but just three thereafter.

Last spring, he was sidetracked by a stomach ailment and later had a tender elbow. He spent most of the season in the minors.

This spring, MacDougal is throwing more like the near-100-mph fireballer of his rookie year. He was pounding the catcher's glove in early workouts.

"I felt like it's there but it's really hard to tell until you get that (radar) gun on it," he said.

Manager Tony Pena sees a difference, too, in MacDougal's delivery.

"I have not yet seen his hat fly off," Pena said. "That means he's keeping his head straight and has good balance."

MacDougal, of course, will have to prove himself.

"It's Affeldt's job to lose," Pena said.

Bowser
02-24-2005, 09:06 PM
Maybe between the two of them, we could squeeze out one good closer.

Demonpenz
02-24-2005, 09:08 PM
use them both. Like the nasty boys of the 90 reds, exept we won't win any games

Spicy McHaggis
02-24-2005, 09:08 PM
I loved McDougal when he first came on. I remember going to the Giants game and watching him strike out Bonds looking. So sweet. Hopefully he can get his form back.

Saulbadguy
02-24-2005, 09:10 PM
I like McDougal better when he hits the opposing players.

ChiTown
02-24-2005, 09:13 PM

I like him better when he actually hits the catcher's mitt.

Dude couldn't tame his fastball, so he took a little off. Soon as he did that, he got ZERO movement on the fastball, and it becomes the easiest pitch in the world to hit. Add to that, he couldn't find the distance on his breaking pitch - next thing you know, Jed's in Omaha.

Saulbadguy
02-24-2005, 09:20 PM
Yep. No control.

Bowser
02-24-2005, 09:25 PM

He walked 19 batters.

New league record.

He struck out 19 batters.

New league record.

He hit the mascot four times!

Heh heh. Also, a new league record.

Sure-Oz
02-24-2005, 09:52 PM
I'd rather have affeldt start if Mac can show up and have control.

Deberg_1990
02-24-2005, 09:55 PM
Too bad Affledt and Mac will only get about 30 save oppurtunities betweem them this year. realistically, we are looking at another 90-100 loss season this year.

petegz28
02-24-2005, 09:57 PM
If Mac can get his control down the Royals could have one of the best Left\Right closing combos in the league.

Eleazar
02-24-2005, 11:00 PM
Sure would be nice to have two guys who can come out of the pen throwing that kind of heat, if Mac can pitch like he did when he first had the job.

Pitt Gorilla
02-24-2005, 11:12 PM
I'd rather have affeldt start if Mac can show up and have control.Exactly. Although, people like Bautista, Appier, and Gobble might be good 5's as well.

keg in kc
02-25-2005, 05:01 AM
If he's under control, we're going to trade Affeldt. That's my crazy prediction of the day.

teedubya
02-25-2005, 05:05 AM
I truly think our pitching staff will be good this year. I plan on going out to at least 3 Grienke outings. Man, i think we will be good enough to win a lot of games, but we will lack the offensive power to convert a lot of those potential wins. I think in 2006 offseason we acquire some bats for the pitching staff... we could compete in 2006-2007. Doubt it though.

Thig Lyfe
02-26-2005, 10:24 PM
I think I'm going to invent some sort of machine where the first half of the 2003 season is in a perpetual state of reality.

beavis
02-26-2005, 11:23 PM
If he's under control, we're going to trade Affeldt. That's my crazy prediction of the day.
Won't happen this year.

beavis
02-26-2005, 11:24 PM
I think I'm going to invent some sort of machine where the first half of the 2003 season is in a perpetual state of reality.
Better make it the first 19 games. That's the only time we really won anything.

alanm
02-27-2005, 12:00 AM
Too bad Affledt and Mac will only get about 30 save oppurtunities betweem them this year. realistically, we are looking at another 90-100 loss season this year.
Well seeing as to how we're not going to have much for bats this year. Pitching is all the more crucial. It would be nice to see the Royals have for once in their existance being able to hit and ball and have a good pitching staff. I guess their kinda like the Chiefs, either all offense and no defense or vice versa. :banghead:

tk13
02-27-2005, 12:25 AM
Guy Hansen is going to do good things for this pitching staff. Last time MacDougal went to work with Hansen was right before the 2003 season. There's a good article today on the Royals website about how Hansen has been working with Affeldt because Affeldt has been clearly tipping his pitches all this time and he's fixed that problem...

Pitt Gorilla
02-27-2005, 12:39 AM
Guy Hansen is going to do good things for this pitching staff. Last time MacDougal went to work with Hansen was right before the 2003 season. There's a good article today on the Royals website about how Hansen has been working with Affeldt because Affeldt has been clearly tipping his pitches all this time and he's fixed that problem...I've been saying for a while that Hansen will make a big difference with this staff. We could see real improvement with every one of our pitchers.

Valiant
02-27-2005, 02:37 AM

mine is brian anderson is the royals mvp this year with a 19-6 record..

DaWolf
02-27-2005, 06:09 AM
Mac has never been very reliable. I'm scared to have him as the setup guy this year. I'll have to hold my breath every time he comes in, hoping he doesn't blow a "hold" opportunity. It seems like every time he comes in, at least one or two guys reach base. He's gotta be better than that...

gblowfish
02-27-2005, 08:15 AM
I've been pissed at MacDougal ever since he gave up a Grand Slam in the 9th to Ichiro to blow a two run lead and lose...ON MY BIRTHDAY!!!

You don't mess with Blowfish's birthday. Damn Royals.

Eleazar
02-27-2005, 10:35 AM
Guy Hansen is going to do good things for this pitching staff. Last time MacDougal went to work with Hansen was right before the 2003 season. There's a good article today on the Royals website about how Hansen has been working with Affeldt because Affeldt has been clearly tipping his pitches all this time and he's fixed that problem...

I'd been reading the same things about Brian Anderson. Remember when he arrived from Cleveland he pitched pretty well, but I remember reading last year that he was tipping his pitches. Just saw a writeup on the Royals' website though that said he has a new delivery now or something.

VonneMarie
02-27-2005, 11:15 AM
mine is brian anderson is the royals mvp this year with a 19-6 record..
That is so gonna be Lima's record...

beavis
02-27-2005, 11:32 AM
That is so gonna be Lima's record...
It'll be tough for anyone to win more than 10 games with that offense.

VonneMarie
02-27-2005, 11:54 AM
It'll be tough for anyone to win more than 10 games with that offense.
I think the offense will be fine if the pitching can contend (and I think it will.)

Sure-Oz
02-27-2005, 12:26 PM
What the hell will our lineup look like I wonder? Sweeney actually play 90 games this season?