Deberg_1990
02-24-2005, 09:18 PM
Which do you prefer??

cowboy_big_rich
02-24-2005, 09:19 PM
Best Buy

Saulbadguy
02-24-2005, 09:20 PM
Circuit City has higher end electronics (tv's, stereo receivers, speakers, etc..)

Best Buy usually has the better deals when it comes to DVD's, computer software, video games, etc.

Circuit City employees are generally less pushy, and don't push the "service plan" as much as Best Buy employees do.

We had both, but Best Buy won the war, and drove CC out of business.

|Zach|
Not a big fan of either but I think Best Buy wins this by a lot. Circuit City used to be very impressive but has gone way down hill IMO.

OmahaChief
Which do you prefer??

Best Buy.

The service in CC is terrible and every time I walk into one of them I feel like I am at a funeral. Just a bad vibe in CC where as Best Buy seems upbeat and friendly for the most part.

I go to Nebraska Furniture Mart for almost all of my electronics though. The salesmen there are more likely to cut deals.

Deberg_1990
02-24-2005, 09:21 PM
I used to like Best Buy better, but lately i have been favoring Circuit City. Their employees seem to be a little better.

Deberg_1990
02-24-2005, 09:22 PM
Not a big fan of either but I think Best Buy wins this by a lot. Circuit City used to be very impressive but has gone way down hill IMO.

Some of the newer Circuit City stores are pretty good, but yea your right, the older ones are pretty ghetto.

Stinger
02-24-2005, 09:23 PM
Circuit City at least here in Springfield. Here you can go in find what you want and not have to fight you way through and army of other people and plus they have people around when you need them. The BB here, thanks to the 1000's of people in the store, I believe they schedules 1 sales person per 150 people. :cuss:

Miles
02-24-2005, 09:26 PM
Bestbuy has a better selection on just about everything and seems to have better sales. Overall I think its a good deal better than CC.

About the only positive i can say about CC is they carry nicer TV's and far better home theater / stereo stuff than best buy.

I like frys better than either of them but they dont have a store in my city.

siberian khatru
02-24-2005, 09:37 PM
Some of the newer Circuit City stores are pretty good, but yea your right, the older ones are pretty ghetto.

CC just moved a mile from its old location to a brand new, bigger store right across the street from our BB. The war has begun.

Talisman
02-24-2005, 09:38 PM
I'm a Best Buy guy. Although I can't compare them very well since Des Moines doesn't have a Circuit City. I haven't been in a CC in over 2 years.

Taco John
02-24-2005, 09:40 PM
I will never shop at Best Buy ever again...

Deberg_1990
02-24-2005, 09:40 PM
About the only positive i can say about CC is they carry nicer TV's and far better home theater / stereo stuff than best buy.

True, Overall they sell higher end equipment. I bought my Onkyo amp at CC. I dont think Best Buy sells Onyko?

Miles
02-24-2005, 09:45 PM
True, Overall they sell higher end equipment. I bought my Onkyo amp at CC. I dont think Best Buy sells Onyko?

Yeah definitly not. As far as i know the best componets they sell are Yamaha's lower/mid level stuff.

Bob Dole
02-24-2005, 09:47 PM
I will never shop at Best Buy ever again...

Bob Dole thought Jamie apologized for that incident and you said everything was cool.

Pants
02-24-2005, 09:49 PM
Umm, doesn't Best Buy own Circuit City?

Ultra Peanut
02-24-2005, 09:58 PM
Best Buy is the devil.

Circuit City's still on my bad side for the whole "trying to make Divx the industry standard" thing.

Given the choice of shopping at one or the other, I'd pick CC over BB.

Deberg_1990
02-24-2005, 10:00 PM
Circuit City's still on my bad side for the whole "trying to make Divx the industry standard" thing.

hahaha...I had almost erased the word DIVX from my mind. Thanks for bringing back those bad memories!

Herzig
02-24-2005, 10:16 PM
From what I understand, unless business picks up for Circuit City, they will probably go broke soon. Then, Best Buy will have most of us by the balls. From the consumer's standpoint, it would be better for us to have CC stay in business to make sure there's at least some competition for BB for those of us who do not have a Nebraska Furniture Mart.

I think they hired a new management company to try to bring them back from the brink.

Herzig
02-24-2005, 10:45 PM
I would've never thought to venture into someplace called "Nebraska Furniture Mart" for electronics. I learned something in this thread. Course, it might be useless. I have no idea if they have any in AZ.

I don't really shop at either enough to have a preference. I go wherever the deal is for whatever I'm looking for at the time. I seem to land in either one about equally.

Actually, NFM has a pretty good selection of electronics.

Inspector
02-24-2005, 10:59 PM
Haven't been to either. Not a big shopper.

I got my 8 track player and black & white TV from T.G.&Y.

Miles
02-24-2005, 11:02 PM
Haven't been to either. Not a big shopper.

I got my 8 track player and black & white TV from T.G.&Y.

Got any Creedence tapes tapes?

Inspector
02-24-2005, 11:04 PM
Got any Creedence tapes tapes?

I traded them for some 10 years after, or was it Cream?

Naw, it was Mott the Hoople.

Eleazar
02-24-2005, 11:10 PM
The poll should be, which has the worse return policy?

Pitt Gorilla
02-24-2005, 11:16 PM
Best Buy is the devil.

Given the choice of shopping at one or the other, I'd pick CC over BB.Exactly. I won't set foot in BB. CC at least has good customer service and doesn't herd you into THE checkout line. What the hell is with that?

LTownChief
02-24-2005, 11:18 PM
if you can get a good enough limit on a best buy card (mine is $2000) your set with their 12, 18 and 24 month 0% deals. Plus I've had ZERO problems with returns there, although I've only made a few, but 36 days after the 30 day period Circuit City would not return a busted a$$ TV that I bought and I called the TV company (Apex) and it would have been more expensive to fix it then buying a new one. So I learned to never buy cheap electronics again and to never buy anything besides software or something thats not too big of a deal at Circuit City ever again

Pezman
02-25-2005, 01:26 AM
Best Buy is the devil.

Given the choice of shopping at one or the other, I'd pick CC over BB.

Wow, good to see someone hold the same grudges that I do... Screw CC for the Divx mess they created during the infancy of DVD's... But at the same time, I will never shop at Best Buy ever again after all the horror stories I've read and heard about. http://www.bestbuysux.org/index1.html

I shop mainly at Frys Electronics here in SoCal but I'll do my best to shop online at the various e-tailers if I can help it...

trndobrd
02-25-2005, 02:44 AM
I hate Circus City because they don't understand the concept of customer service. "Sorry the laptop you just dropped $2K on came with a burnt out power adaptor. Here's the manufacturer's 1-800 number. Good luck."

I will shop Best Buy only because I enjoy screwing with the sales people who know nothing of the product, just that an extended warranty is an absolute necessity. "Why do I need an extended warranty? Is this product defective or prone to breakdown? What the hell kind of merchandise are you trying to sell me? Don't worry, if it breaks down, I'll just sue."

Hercules Rockefell
02-25-2005, 07:00 AM
As someone who worked at BB, it's funny how little they want you to know about the product. Just say what you have to to get the item sold. I pretty much try to avoid going there now for anything other then DVDs.

But you can't beat their discount. My parents probably saved more money then I made in the 11 months I worked there.

Skip Towne
02-25-2005, 08:03 AM
Best Buy has more customers so they must be better.

Dallas Chief
02-25-2005, 09:12 AM
I don't think CC is going to shut it's doors any time soon. They are weighing an offer by an investment group, that if accepted would take them private which would allow them to clean house without any of that messy SEC oversight stuff going on. Things can only get better there.

I shop CC only becasue I don't get hassled by any of the fake "I don't make any commission, here buy this POS" that you get at Best Buy. Plus we need to keep Best Buy honest so we need Circuit around. It is like the whole Target/WalMart thing. I won't shop WalMart anymore because#1 it is way too crowded and #2 because of the way they treat other companies- meaning their vendors, not their competition.

jspchief
02-25-2005, 09:39 AM
Easy call for me. We don't have Circuit city in the greater Des Moines area (or IA that that I know of).

I've never been in a CC.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
02-25-2005, 09:51 AM
Had a couple of bad experiences with Best Buy about four years ago.

Haven't darkened their door since. Have no intention of ever going back. Nothing they sell there I can't get somewhere else.

Ghostof
02-25-2005, 10:08 AM
Dolgins was the best place back in the day. I think they became Best Buy.

TG&Y...KMart...Childrens Palace...those were the best places to go when I was a kid

Toys R Us had all the reject toys that Childrens Palace and Kay B Toy couldnt sell.

Saulbadguy
02-25-2005, 01:37 PM
The poll should be, which has the worse return policy?
I got hassled more at Circuit City.

I still have a Service plan on my phone from a couple years ago. I've returned and gotten a new phone about 7 times. Some even come with rebates, so I end up making money on em.

oaklandhater
02-25-2005, 01:40 PM
[QUOTE=Miles]Bestbuy has a better selection on just about everything and seems to have better sales. Overall I think its a good deal better than CC.

I like frys better than either of them but they dont have a store in my city.[/QUOTE

Frys are on the west coast and i think they might have won in TX

badgirl
02-25-2005, 02:08 PM
I go with best buy only because the woman I work with can get stuff at the cost the store gave for it, I got my step son a MP3 player that was originally 125.00 for 60.00. I can get a camcorder that is 339.00 for 125.00 so I definally go to best buy. :thumb:

badgirl
02-25-2005, 02:15 PM
Best Buy's employee discount is ruling. They just pay a flat percentage over cost so you really cleanup on the items with huge markup.
yea she told me the more something cost the better the savings

Bearcat
02-25-2005, 02:25 PM
The service in CC is terrible

Best Buy's employees can be pushy at times, but Circuit City's are always huddled around each other talking.... far too busy to help anyone.

I went to the CC near Metro North a couple times... once, I had to break up a meeting to ask a question, which they weren't pleased with :rolleyes: ... the second time (fool me once...) I stood underneath the huge CHECK OUT HERE sign for a couple of minutes while a meeting was taking place 10 feet away. Went up to the returns counter and stood there waiting for the two of them to quit talking about weekend plans for about 30 seconds until I finally had to interrupt... then I had to point out that I wanted my credit card back.

Compared to the Best Buy across the street, hardly anyone goes to CC, yet Best Buy employees are the one that have the time to be pushy. :shrug:

alpha_omega
02-25-2005, 02:32 PM
As long as i already know what i want...it's Best Buy...